Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Brussels 1973 - Some More Thoughts
Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: December 26, 2011 16:38

MrEcho
Taylor was quite young when he played with the Stones and to a certain extent he was showing off, demonstrating his amazing technical abilities. I think that his best playing came later when his style had matured and he found the right balance between demonstrating technical brilliance and serving the songs. I think that Mick Taylor's greatest artistic achievement is his guitar playing on Bob Dylan's 1984 European tour. He was the main guitar player in that band and pretty much carried the sound. He did not overpower the songs, he really strengthened their essence. By the way the whole tour was recently put in circulation by legendary Dylan taper Les Kokay from his original masters. It's a must-have for every serious Taylor fan.

Right on. I love Bob's Real Live and feel Mick Taylor plays perfectly on that album.

smileys with beerRe: Brussels 1973 - Some More Thoughts
Date: December 26, 2011 16:42

Zack
stonesdan60
Zack
The blade must be shown. Keith was very upset when Taylor left the band.

An insult to a brilliant player indeed. Enjoy Live Licks and Shine a Light.

Of course Keith was upset. The Stones were planning to tour in 1975 and now they needed to hurry up and find a second guitarist. That being said, Keith has also said that he much prefers playing with Ron Wood over Taylor. And yes, thank you I will enjoy Live Licks and Shine A Light. Nice blade. And a Merry Christmas to you as well.

I was joking too, lol. That's the trouble with written communication. One can fail to pick up on the writer's intended vocal inflection and other nuances that convey the true intent of the words..and I do wish you a Merry Christmas as well! smileys with beer

Just joking man, lighten up. Merry Christmas to you too. I mean it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 27, 2011 01:38

GrandToad
I'm going to go ahead and shoot of my mouth.

Mick Taylor was just right for the Stones in '73. It was the era of the lead guitarist. Taylor was one of the most tasteful of the generation. I would say his only rival were Duane Allman or Donald Roeser (for those who don't know Donald Roeser was "Buck Dhrama" of Blue Oyster Cult). Duane had slightly more stage presence than Taylor. It's all opinion, anyway. "Jimmy Page started a rage."

I agree with you and I DO believe Taylor kind of overplayed the lead parts toward the end of his tenure, especially playing live. Of course he was always more sympathetic in the studio. I also especially appreciate the reference to Donald Roeser. I always loved his fluid style over the pantatonic scales. He was just so tasty with those simple licks and when he sped up it wasn't just sloppy notes (ala Jimmy Page) , that boy sure can play. Whats become of him? Thanks for the memory jog and nod to one of the lesser known guitar masters. One of my first records was Tyranny and Mutation. peace.

Date: December 27, 2011 01:56

GrandToad
I wish I could find a reliable V-4 to play today. {most are too beat to crap to use}).

I've seen a few in fairly good shape still in various places here in California. Email me if your serious and I'll point one or two out next time I see them. peace.

Posted by: GrandToad ()
Date: December 27, 2011 02:20

Naturalust
GrandToad
I wish I could find a reliable V-4 to play today. {most are too beat to crap to use}).

I've seen a few in fairly good shape still in various places here in California. Email me if your serious and I'll point one or two out next time I see them. peace.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm too broke right now.

Date: December 27, 2011 02:22

Naturalust
GrandToad
I'm going to go ahead and shoot of my mouth.

Mick Taylor was just right for the Stones in '73. It was the era of the lead guitarist. Taylor was one of the most tasteful of the generation. I would say his only rival were Duane Allman or Donald Roeser (for those who don't know Donald Roeser was "Buck Dhrama" of Blue Oyster Cult). Duane had slightly more stage presence than Taylor. It's all opinion, anyway. "Jimmy Page started a rage."

I agree with you and I DO believe Taylor kind of overplayed the lead parts toward the end of his tenure, especially playing live. Of course he was always more sympathetic in the studio. I also especially appreciate the reference to Donald Roeser. I always loved his fluid style over the pantatonic scales. He was just so tasty with those simple licks and when he sped up it wasn't just sloppy notes (ala Jimmy Page) , that boy sure can play. Whats become of him? Thanks for the memory jog and nod to one of the lesser known guitar masters. One of my first records was Tyranny and Mutation. peace.

I saw Blue Oyster Cult dozens of times in the 70s and 80s. "On Your Feet, Or On Knees" is a great live album.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 27, 2011 02:30

Naturalust
One of my first records was Tyranny and Mutation. peace.

Thats cool, it was one of my first too....

Date: December 27, 2011 02:39

Might as well got way off on a Blue Oyster Cult tangent. Here's one of my favorites.

[url=

[/url]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 27, 2011 02:50

Great stuff Toad

BOC is still out there out playing the smaller halls. I saw them a couple of years ago and they still sound great and still have 15 guitars (slight exaggeration) laying waste to the audience... although they have turned it down, a little bit, since that Black and Blue tour of yesteryear.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 27, 2011 03:44

GrandToad
Might as well got way off on a Blue Oyster Cult tangent. Here's one of my favorites.

[url=

[/url][/quote]

More cowbell!

Date: December 27, 2011 08:19

I ended up highjacking this thread by accident. Blue Oyster Cult, what was I thinking?

Date: December 27, 2011 09:35

Having listened to Brussells several more time since my initial post, perhaps it's time for a more objective view of the Taylor years vs. the Wood and later years. I never meant to completely knock Mick Taylor or that period of the band. Taylor's great and the Stones were smoking during that period. But I do maintain that Taylor did overplay in places where the whole band's role should have been just supporting Jagger. But when it was solo time he was brilliant. But what are / were The Rolling Stones all about? They certainly didn't start as a band that featured lead guitar virtuousity. It was about the songs themselves and how two guitars could bounce off each other and meld as one. With Ron Wood, that spirit returned to the band, and while I do miss Mick Taylor on certain songs that call for a great solo, I prefer Wood. For example, although Wood has shined at times on YCAGWYW, he'll never come close to what MT could do as exemplified on Brussells. Still I prefer to hear the Stones live with Wood as the songs come first and I enjoy hearing that interplay and weaving between the two guitars. I miss the rawness and spontaneity of the old days but I still think the Stones are a great live act. At least they were as of the last times I saw them in '05 & '06. The loss of Ian Stewart left a hole that I feel Chuck doesn't quite fill. The retirement of Bill Wyman made a part of the Stones classic sound vanish. D. Jones is great but has a different style. Nevertheless, given all the decades that have gone by it always amazed me to go to yet another Stones show and hear a huge stadium filled with the unmistakable sound of....The Rolling Stones. It's changed. It's less spontaneous and more polished and professional, but if you want to hear the Rolling Stones live, they've still got it if you want it. Maybe Keith leaves more gaps in his playing but he still sounds like Keith Richards to my ears. Maybe now that they use a horn section and all, he feels there's enough support to allow him to leave more spaces in his playing. Personally, I feel the gaps in his playing make his playing sound more dramatic. Many great players say that what you don't play is just as vital as what you do play. I think Keith has evolved into this understanding. As for recent live albums, they may not capture a band gone wild like on Brussells but they're still thoroughly enjoyable examples of the Stones in concert. Now, for one pet peeve. I'm so sick of the phrase "Vegas Stones." They totally do not deserve that tag. Just because they decided that we're in an era where concert goers like to hear something that sounds like the albums and hire singers and horns to enable that doesn't put them in the class of Wayne Newton or Cher. While I prefer the stripped down Stones, they still sound great and my experiences on the BB tour were that what you heard was the Stones. The horns and singers seemed to be lower in the mix and not as in your face, and to me the Stones sounded like....ta da...the Stones. Different, but still no one else comes close to sounding like them. So what's the secret to still sounding like the Stones despite all the changes to the live line up? Charlie Watts. There's no one like him. He's got a unique beat that's key to the Stones sound. If he were to die it would be a crime for Mick and Keith to tour and still call it The Rolling Stones. As long as you've got that interplay between Keith and Charlie behind Mick's trademark vocals, you'll have the Stones sound no matter who else they throw into the soup. So...vintage Stones...recent Stones....they're both great, but in different ways. Enjoy it all. I do.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: December 27, 2011 14:56

stonesdan60
So what's the secret to still sounding like the Stones despite all the changes to the live line up? Charlie Watts. There's no one like him. He's got a unique beat that's key to the Stones sound. If he were to die it would be a crime for Mick and Keith to tour and still call it The Rolling Stones. As long as you've got that interplay between Keith and Charlie behind Mick's trademark vocals, you'll have the Stones sound no matter who else they throw into the soup. So...vintage Stones...recent Stones....they're both great, but in different ways. Enjoy it all. I do.

This sounds Rolling Stones enough to me:

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 27, 2011 15:48

Palace Revolution 2000
Matter of fact - i think he took those very songs to the next level. They are superb songs to begin with; now you add a searing lead guitar - it is even better.

The constant addition of lead or lead fills on every live song gets tedious for me. I agree with original poster that Taylor over plays on Brussels 73', but I think he did so in many other gigs too. I also agree with what others have said that he added a big jolt of inspiration that made the band do things it might not otherwise have done though.

This is all about what folks like and what they want to hear from the stones...

I personally prefer the more naive and varied sonic landscape of the live Jones era. I like that some of the songs only have 1 guitar and we get another instrument added to the mix in place of a guitar.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: December 27, 2011 16:14

I just listened to Brussels again yesterday and to me clearly, Mick Taylor is the best guitarist to ever play in the Rolling Stones. If you want to talk excessive lead or lead fills just compare his playing to the bubble gum hair band butt rockers (big curly permanent hairdos wiggling their butts in spandex) playing everynote under the sun. Thank goodness Nirvana came along and blew them off the radio and off the stage.(In fact I've always thought the guitar solo on In Bloom was a parody of that school of rock) Although I prefer distortion and edge like Keith plays over say Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and all those other multinote players, there is something about Mick Taylor's playing that is beautiful, lyrical, and never self indulgent, at least to me.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 27, 2011 16:15

But why isn't it readily available on CD ? People would snap it up.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 27, 2011 16:18

tomcasagranda
But why isn't it readily available on CD ? People would snap it up.

which people? name names.

Date: December 27, 2011 16:20

Unfortunately downloads may be the only way to get music in the future. Or at least 95% of the music sold.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 27, 2011 16:29

If you sold Brussels Affair as a 5,000 ltd edition cd it would be gone in no time. It would be like the stuff on HIP-O Select or Rhino Handmade

Date: December 27, 2011 16:53

tomcasagranda
If you sold Brussels Affair as a 5,000 ltd edition cd it would be gone in no time. It would be like the stuff on HIP-O Select or Rhino Handmade

probably break-even at best with numbers like that. online downloads are a much more profitable enterprise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-27 16:53 by StonesTod.

Date: December 27, 2011 16:54

donvis
Unfortunately downloads may be the only way to get music in the future. Or at least 95% of the music sold.

what's unfortunate about that?

Date: December 27, 2011 17:07

Because a physical object is a thing of beauty. It is collectible. It is something that can be passed on to a child. Same for a book. Flickering liquid crystals may replace books someday, but the real things will always be cherished. What would you rather have Action Comics Number 1 (first appearence of Superman) or a reprint on a computer screen?

Date: December 27, 2011 17:09

donvis
Because a physical object is a thing of beauty. It is collectible. It is something that can be passed on to a child. Same for a book. Flickering liquid crystals may replace books someday, but the real things will always be cherished. What would you rather have Action Comics Number 1 (first appearence of Superman) or a reprint on a computer screen?

well, that's old-school thinking. new-school thinking is that it's the music that counts and the "material" part of it is superfluous. the new-school has open enrollments the first tuesday of every month....

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: December 27, 2011 17:34

Stones had some other great periods. The 78 and 81 tour had the weaving. Keith and Ron Wood were great on those tours and were the perfect team for that period. Ron Wood was the right guy for Some Girls and not Mick Taylor.
But really, Mick Taylor gave something from another league. I just dont get tired to listen to Brussels Affair because of the pure joy that Taylor guitar gives me. He didnt overplayed, he just gave an extraordinary sound to songs that were already great.

Date: December 27, 2011 17:59

stillife
Stones had some other great periods. The 78 and 81 tour had the weaving. Keith and Ron Wood were great on those tours and were the perfect team for that period. Ron Wood was the right guy for Some Girls and not Mick Taylor.
But really, Mick Taylor gave something from another league. I just dont get tired to listen to Brussels Affair because of the pure joy that Taylor guitar gives me. He didnt overplayed, he just gave an extraordinary sound to songs that were already great.

Exactly right.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 27, 2011 18:09

71Tele
stillife

Exactly right.

In your opinion. grinning smiley

Date: December 27, 2011 20:57

StonesTod
donvis

well, that's old-school thinking. new-school thinking is that it's the music that counts and the "material" part of it is superfluous. the new-school has open enrollments the first tuesday of every month....

I sittin' on the fence on this one. What's missing for the download generation is not just the object but the ALBUM. 2 sides , a specific order that most artists (including the Stones) really sweat it out over. The whole package of songs, played in order. Band that could pull that off without having to jump to the SKIP button are far and few between these days. Can you imagine dark Side of the Moon as a friggin' DOWNLOAD? I couldn't. We lived the golden years is what I figure. Now its all sound bites , files and single song downloads (mostly). That is kinda like sitting down to Christmas dinner with a box of Cap't Crunch. peace.

Date: December 27, 2011 21:01

His Majesty
71Tele
stillife

Exactly right.

No, not in my opinion, scientifically empirically proven...of course it's my opinion! I don't get this necessity of reminding people who state their opinions that it is their opinion.

Date: December 27, 2011 21:05

Naturalust
StonesTod
donvis

I sittin' on the fence on this one. What's missing for the download generation is not just the object but the ALBUM. 2 sides , a specific order that most artists (including the Stones) really sweat it out over. The whole package of songs, played in order. Band that could pull that off without having to jump to the SKIP button are far and few between these days. Can you imagine dark Side of the Moon as a friggin' DOWNLOAD? I couldn't. We lived the golden years is what I figure. Now its all sound bites , files and single song downloads (mostly). That is kinda like sitting down to Christmas dinner with a box of Cap't Crunch. peace.

with all due respect, you sound very old and out of it.

Date: December 27, 2011 21:07

71Tele
His Majesty
71Tele
stillife

Exactly right.

No, not in my opinion, scientifically empirically proven...of course it's my opinion! I don't get this necessity of reminding people who state their opinions that it is their opinion.

i prefer to state my own facts rather than my opinions. at times, when facts aren't readily available, i will state other people's opinions.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home