Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"The Replacements" (Movie, not band) - (Stones Related)
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 21, 2011 23:25

I did a search for this, but couldn't turn anything up except for talk about the band of the same name, or talk of replacements for various merchandise.

Anybody who has seen this movie knows it used quite a bit of Stones music, but only from Voodoo Lounge, most notably "You Got Me Rocking", "Moon Is Up", and "Blinded By Rainbows", there may be another, seems like there is, but I can't think of it.

It seems strange that they would use music exclusively off of Voodoo Lounge. Don't get me wrong, I like the album, but it wasn't exactly new (the movie was released in 2000), and it wasn't even the latest Stones album. I'm guessing the director is a Stones fan or something, but I still don't get the focus on Voodoo Lounge. Had the movie been filmed/released in '94,'95 or something I could see it, but it wasn't. The focus on that album almost seems like a tie in for promotion, but by this time they had already released Bridges To Babylon and finished up the No Security tour.

While looking for information about this the only thing I was able to find was the fact that the director (Howard Deutch) is indeed a Stones fan, and that in his film "Some Kind Of Wonderful" he gave the three main characters Stones-related names: Amanda Jones, a drummer (albeit female) named simply Watts, and Keith (though it's not an uncommon name, but I guess in light of the other names it's probable that's what he was thinking).

When I started typing this I think I was looking for information/a story as to why this movie featured a 6 year old Stones album so prominently in the soundtrack (I think the Stones are the only artist to appear more than once in the soundtrack) but as I'm wrapping this up it occurs to me it's probably just as simple as the guy really liked the album. Those songs always really stick out though, because they seem out of place for the time it was made, but they do use some older songs (not by the Stones) like "I Will Survive". But that was a "classic", at the time Voodoo Lounge wasn't new, nor old enough to be a classic.

Re: "The Replacements" (Movie, not band) - (Stones Related)
Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: December 22, 2011 03:43

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 22, 2011 04:32

That's just the IMDB page, it doesn't mention anything about the use of Voodoo Lounge tracks in the film.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 23, 2011 04:17

This question has been brought here up from time to time and it seems to get the least amount of responses than any other topic, (not good, not bashing,.... none) I am not sure why. I asked this same questions years ago and also got no response..... so I still wonder why/how/who got all the great music into this entertaining movie.

I have always liked VL quite a bit, so when I first saw this movie I thought it was cool as hell about the well placed/timed sound track. imuho any movie with Gene Hackman is A-OK... and if they add some funny moments, some football, some good subplots, good yapping and some Stones songs and it is a keeper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2007
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home