Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Never thought Angie would be worth listening to
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 12, 2011 19:33

i like the angie from the first brussels show better than the second...

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: December 12, 2011 22:13

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
It's the only performance/version of it that's worth listening to, or for that matter any live version from that tour.

I've never understood the hostility toward "Angie" - I've always thought it was gorgeous, very heartfelt.

Is this hatin' stuff coming from macho men, who don't want strings and/or love songs on a Stones record?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 12, 2011 22:19

StonesTod
i like the angie from the first brussels show better than the second...

I agree. To my semi-trianed ears, the second version could pass for a 76 version.

Date: December 12, 2011 22:23

Claire_M
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
It's the only performance/version of it that's worth listening to, or for that matter any live version from that tour.

I've never understood the hostility toward "Angie" - I've always thought it was gorgeous, very heartfelt.

Is this hatin' stuff coming from macho men, who don't want strings and/or love songs on a Stones record?

speaking on behalf of the macho community, we happen to love its daintiness and effeminate qualities....

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 13, 2011 02:16

Mick's delivery is perfection, a combination of sadness, real aching, and a tinge of regret. What's not to love?? Some folks just don't appreciate a little tenderness delivered by the Stones. I remember seeing this tune performed on American TV, that 70's classic rock show....Midnight ARGG!! I forgot the name of the show. Anyway, I think it was a lip synch job and that was too bad. Remember Mick wearing the white Fedora?? Come on, what was the name of that show? Was it Midnight Special??

Date: December 13, 2011 03:03

Claire_M
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

No, it's just been played so much on the radio and it's so schamltzy saccharine. It's Rolling Soap Opera Stones is what it is. Yes it's a good song, there is no doubt about it, but it's not a great song. It's just so...I dunno. I think the radio has ruined it for me, like Miss You and Start Me Up. When I hear it I think "Really? Come on."

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: December 13, 2011 03:28

Debra, yes, it was Midnight Special.

Posted by: kittypoo ()
Date: December 13, 2011 07:39

I remember seeing them in Anaheim on the licks tour and they performed Angie against a backdrop of what looked like tears falling . It blew me away ! I always get a good feeling when I hear those acoustic harmonics burst out of the speakers with Jagger giving this vocal delivery of aching and longing . I love the line " with no loving in our souls and no money in our coats "

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 13, 2011 09:10

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Claire_M
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

No, it's just been played so much on the radio and it's so schamltzy saccharine. It's Rolling Soap Opera Stones is what it is. Yes it's a good song, there is no doubt about it, but it's not a great song. It's just so...I dunno. I think the radio has ruined it for me, like Miss You and Start Me Up. When I hear it I think "Really? Come on."

If the problem with "Angie", "Miss You" and "Start Me Up" is the huge radio play they have gained, and thereby not being 'great songs' anymore, well, then one could say that the post "Start Me Up" stuff is in safe. The songs from their latest albums are actually VERY secured from tha disease... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-13 09:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 13, 2011 12:37

Munichhilton
Not much to it
A simple song with a nice chord progression.

They really should have taken the idea from Zep and sat down and done an acoustic set.

Right after Heartbreaker....bring it down.
Sit on chairs (Jagger too).

Winter
Angie
Sister Morphine

Back into You Can't Always Get What You Want

Why is Don Was being paid for my job?

They did Sweet Virginia in Vienna and Mannheim, but tied in with Angie and YCAGWYW the slow portion of the set just is too long with 20 minutes out of a 70 minute show. Lep Zep played for three hours on those days, so could get away with an acoustic set.

Mathijs

Date: December 13, 2011 14:38

you can't blame the radio, but you can blame yourself for listening to the radio, radio....

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 13, 2011 14:46

Actually, DON KIRSHNER'S ROCK CONCERT" was the 73 US TV program that the 4 song set of promos were aired on (Silver TRain, DAncing With Mr D and two different performances of Angie)

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: December 13, 2011 15:30

scottkeef
Actually, DON KIRSHNER'S ROCK CONCERT" was the 73 US TV program that the 4 song set of promos were aired on (Silver TRain, DAncing With Mr D and two different performances of Angie)

Yes you're right - it is possible to watch the first half of the best of the versions on youtube:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-13 15:49 by GetYerAngie.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: December 13, 2011 15:44

Claire_M

I've always loved it. Oh dear, I'm not macho.

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 13, 2011 16:54

pinksuit
Whilst reading this board, I was listening to the official Brussels version and I even liked "Angie"

Jeez, great band and please, stop bashing Jagger, a machine imho

Billy Preston's terrific gospel organ solo is what setsd this Angie apart from all the rest.

Date: December 13, 2011 16:57

R
pinksuit
Whilst reading this board, I was listening to the official Brussels version and I even liked "Angie"

Jeez, great band and please, stop bashing Jagger, a machine imho

Billy Preston's terrific gospel organ solo is what setsd this Angie apart from all the rest.

billy was always the best musician in whatever setting he found himself...whether with sam cooke, the beatles, the stones, clapton, the god squad...i'm sure it was a factor in why the stones parted ways with him....just too damned good....

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 13, 2011 18:46

I always wondered while the Stones put up will Bill shagging young girls, maybe Billy's penchant for young boys was a problem.....aaah, probably not...

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 13, 2011 21:54

"I've never understood the hostility toward "Angie" - I've always thought it was gorgeous, very heartfelt.
Is this hatin' stuff coming from macho men, who don't want strings and/or love songs on a Stones record?"[/quote]

i always get a laugh out of that,it usually comes from the crowd that try to act hardcore.
in their minds this is jagger bringing an end to the era of the big four with a sugary single.

truth is its a return to form-the band has many songs like this from the early years.as tears go by,blue turns to grey etc and the kicker-keith wrote angie,not mick.

it comes from him singing" anita,i needya" in the studio [sing that to yourself with the song] he also wrote the acoustic guitar parts obviously.its a masterpiece,i'll put it up against anything lennon and mccartney ever did.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: December 13, 2011 22:00

lem motlow

it comes from him singing" anita,i needya" in the studio [sing that to yourself with the song] he also wrote the acoustic guitar parts obviously.its a masterpiece,i'll put it up against anything lennon and mccartney ever did.

I think that is Happy, not Angie, no? Keith has said, that he does not know why Mick chose that name.

Date: December 13, 2011 22:12

no,its from angie.keith wrote the song but you may be right about mick changing the title,it just morphed from the guide vocal and had nothing to do with anyone named bowie

like i said if you sing"anita,i needya" along with angie you can sort of see and picture keith playing the acoustic to it.
keith says and does some dumb shit sometimes but the guy is definitely a genius.

Date: December 13, 2011 22:27

Angie is a great song. The GHS version is great, so is the Brussels one. (just differently played and arranged). The suspended chords on GHS give it that certain dreary feeling, the G-sus and F-sus. I've always liked that sound in the song. I don't know technically what a suspended chord is or means, but I know they sound good at certain times; you only need ears for that, not technical knowledge. Keith was always IMO a great acoustic player. Winter is great too, though, I like it even better than Angie, although I don't know if Keith is even on that one at all. Don't think he is. Goes to show you what MJ and MT could come up with. It's brilliant. To me it has a sort of Van Morrison (of the period) vibe going on in it.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 13, 2011 22:45

Thanks Texas and Stoneskeef...yes, it was Don Kirshner's . There WAS a Midnight Special but the 4 set Stones clip was on Don's show, all from Goat's Heads' Soup. The good ole days! I have been lucky enough to have seen " Angie" performed live a few times, and it was always great!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 14, 2011 00:24

lem motlow
no,its from angie.keith wrote the song but you may be right about mick changing the title,it just morphed from the guide vocal and had nothing to do with anyone named bowie

like i said if you sing"anita,i needya" along with angie you can sort of see and picture keith playing the acoustic to it.
keith says and does some dumb shit sometimes but the guy is definitely a genius.

No it's I need a love (Anita love) to keep me Happy. Angie has nothing to do with Anita I need ya. Spanish Tony misunderstood.

Date: December 14, 2011 01:14

thats why i love this board-i didnt even remember where i got that information until redhotcarpet mentioned spanish tony.

what you're saying sounds very plausible though both could be correct.keith was with anita during the writing of both songs and i'm almost positive he wrote the bulk of angie.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1276
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home