Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Latter Day Stones Albums Deserve More Credit
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 18, 2011 19:11

Edward Twining
drewmaster
So to me, "Laugh I Nearly Died" is every bit as much of 'classic' as, say "Gimme Shelter".

Drew

Interesting point of view, Drew. My feelings are, if the Stones are ever mildly successful in more recent years, it is generally with songs that are a little less Stones like in terms of their more typical riff based rockers - songs perhaps like 'Thru and Thru', 'You Don't Have To Mean It', and 'Already Over Me' for example. Perhaps the reasons they are a little better is because they are rather less inclined to represent the Stones going through the motions, and feeling the need to betray their ages etc. with stupid posturing. These songs carry a little more weight, and in 'You Don't Have To Mean It', a level of charm, also. 'Laugh I Nearly Died' is another example and finds the Stones attempting something a little different, and to a point it works. However, i'm not keen on Jagger's vocals, especially as the song gathers steam, because i find them rather heavy handed, and quite unbearable in places. Jagger, in his younger days may have done this song more justice. As far as being a classic Stones song is concerned, i think it all depends in the context in which it appears. On A BIGGER BANG the song may appear quite impressive, yet in the bigger scheme of things, and especially if it had appeared on an album like BLACK AND BLUE, it would have been a pretty decent, but perhaps ultimately unremarkable track. 'Laugh I Nearly Died' does have some pleasing elements, mind, and if it wasn't for Jagger's voice i would have rated it rather more highly.

A BIGGER BANG was a Stones album i had rather mixed feelings for, before actually hearing it, because the Stones previous new songs on the FORTY LICKS compilation were really amongst the most underwhelming of their career in my opinion. I love the earlier Stones dearly, but i'd rather them not record any new material, if the standard was to be so poor. However, on a first listen to A BIGGER BANG, i was mildly surprised because the album sounded much better than i anticipated, because the songs did seem a lot sharper than those new ones on FORTY LICKS. However, it only maybe took me a couple of further listens for the illusion to wear off, and for me to conclude there's really nothing at all behind what you hear. These songs exist on the surface, yet there's so very depth to them. Again, it's just the Stones going through the motions, and recycling riffs etc. and cranking out enough sounds to fill an album (or maybe even a double - it goes on for so long!). A BIGGER BANG is ultimately a very lazy album, which the Stones could have recorded with their eyes closed through much of it. 'Rough Justice', 'Oh No Not You Again' and 'Sweet Neo Con' are really songs not worthy of their name, musically or lyrically, and for the most part those songs, and many of the others too, actually make me cringe. Jagger is just so utterly juvenile too in his lyrics at times.

I agree with most of your points here, Edward, although I seem to like LIND more than you do ... out of curiosity, are there any "latter-day" Stones numbers that you would consider to be equal to their "heyday" songs?

Where you and I most see eye-to-eye is on your point about laziness. IMO, the Stones succumbed to the lure of quickly writing and recording the BB songs (and much of their other later work). Despite Keith's "incoming/antenna" metaphor, good songwriting is damn hard work (at least usually it is).

As I understand it, in the 60's and early 70's the Stones spent days and days honing and refining each of the songs that they were considering releasing publicly. (Just look at SFTD, for example). Mick and Keith were joined at the hip with a driving ambition to create great songs. And they knew, deep down, that it takes enormous time and effort to create great songs. In later years, they still had the talent to write great songs, but they had lost the drive. Moreover, the fractured relationship between Mick and Keith meant that they were unable to spend as much time together and hone their songs like they used to. The result: spotty albums that contain some true classics and some real duds.

Just my two cents.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-19 08:40 by drewmaster.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: December 19, 2011 07:39

drewmaster
As I understand it, in the 60's and early 70's the Stones spent days and days honing and refining each of the songs that they were considering releasing publicly. (Just look at SFTD, for example). Mick and Keith were joined at the hip with a driving ambition to create great songs. And they knew, deep down, that it takes enormous time and effort to create great songs. In later years, they still had the talent to write great songs, but they had lost the drive. Moreover, the fractured relationship between Mick and Keith meant that they were unable to spend as much time together and hone their songs like they used to. The result: spotty albums that contain some true classics and some real duds.

Just my two cents.

Drew

Yes, Drew, although the spotty albums that contain true classics and some real duds, extend only as far as, and including TATTOO YOU, and thereafter there aren't any true classics. Ultimately, it depends on how you choose to define 'classic'. If you use the wonderfully crafted singles 'Satisfaction', Jumpin' Jack Flash', 'Brown Sugar' etc. as the yardstick, perhaps 'Start Me Up' is the last classic of sorts. Of course, there was always a great deal more breadth to the Stones music than those wonderfully engaging rockers, and variety was often one of their true assets. However, whatever guise the Stones have chosen to record in post TATTOO YOU, i can't honestly say i can hear anything that could really hold its own against the Stones earlier work, and deserves to be as highly regarded. The Stones are just seeing themselves through, and it's so true, their true inspiration left them decades ago. It will never come back now because its been gone too long for that, and the Stones are just too old.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 19, 2011 09:11

Edward Twining
drewmaster

Just my two cents.

Drew

Yes, Drew, although the spotty albums that contain true classics and some real duds, extend only as far as, and including TATTOO YOU, and thereafter there aren't any true classics. Ultimately, it depends on how you choose to define 'classic'. If you use the wonderfully crafted singles 'Satisfaction', Jumpin' Jack Flash', 'Brown Sugar' etc. as the yardstick, perhaps 'Start Me Up' is the last classic of sorts. Of course, there was always a great deal more breadth to the Stones music than those wonderfully engaging rockers, and variety was often one of their true assets. However, whatever guise the Stones have chosen to record in post TATTOO YOU, i can't honestly say i can hear anything that could really hold its own against the Stones earlier work, and deserves to be as highly regarded. The Stones are just seeing themselves through, and it's so true, their true inspiration left them decades ago. It will never come back now because its been gone too long for that, and the Stones are just too old.

I would say that Undercover Of The Night could be held up as a true classic and possibly a handful of others.

I don't think it all ended with Tattoo You, but a decline was and is evident, and probably has more to do with a general 'laziness' than talent decline, as they don't spend as much time together, or as much time crafting songs.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: December 19, 2011 12:57

treaclefingers
I don't think it all ended with Tattoo You, but a decline was and is evident, and probably has more to do with a general 'laziness' than talent decline, as they don't spend as much time together, or as much time crafting songs.

treaclefingers, i think it did all end with TATTOO YOU if you are talking about Stones music on a certain, more superior level, that can hold its own with the best of their earlier output, without fear of intimidation. However, like you say, there are occasional songs that are quite amiable, and fulfilling to a degree, like 'Undercover Of The Night', which is pretty good, and managed (partly through the controversy of the video) to keep the Stones profile alive towards the end of 1983. However, i don't think 'Undercover Of The Night' really belongs alongside those true sixties and seventies classics by any stretch of the imagination, although it may have been mildly memorable within the context of its time.

You say that the Stones decline is due to a general laziness, which may have an element of truth, within the group context, yet i don't believe Mick and Keith's solo careers have delivered any true classics either, and especially in Mick's case, where he seemed pretty meticulous within his goal to produce a memorable album, to set himself on the right part to a great solo career with SHE'S THE BOSS. Somewhere along the line he seemed to have completely lost the plot, and my feeling is it was really the ego adulation he was craving, and not so much to do with praise given for the greatness to be found within his artistic endeavours.

Yes, there are a few post TATTOO YOU songs i could listen to, and mildly enjoy, but that's about it. Nothing is really great or essential, and the Stones wouldn't really have been any less well off artistically, if they had packed up following the TATTOO YOU album and 1981-82 tours. In fact it may have been to their advantage to have called it a day then, instead of the gradual unravelling of their legendary status, which is undoubtedly what has happened, with a series of wholly inferior album and dvd releases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-19 13:13 by Edward Twining.

Date: December 19, 2011 13:04

Edward Twining

You say that the Stones decline is due to a general laziness

Another way to look at is in terms of priorities: once the main source of financial revenue shifted from albums to touring, the artistic quality of the albums became of secondary importance to the Stones, and they invested more of their time and energy into the shows.

Drew

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 19, 2011 14:14

drewmaster
Edward Twining

Another way to look at is in terms of priorities: once the main source of financial revenue shifted from albums to touring, the artistic quality of the albums became of secondary importance to the Stones, and they invested more of their time and energy into the shows.

Drew

given these options, i'll take the laziness....

Date: December 19, 2011 14:39

StonesTod
drewmaster
Edward Twining

Drew

That's the easy way out, StonesTod.

Drew

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 19, 2011 16:17

drewmaster
Edward Twining

Drew

This is a good point. If we look Jagger's (as the true leader and the brains of the band, right?) doings, he does things not by looking back and not really forward (visonally) but around - what's going on at the moment. The Stones in many sense are mirroring the whole rock and roll/pop music business: they did singles when that was the criterion of success, they did albums when that was the criterion, and they did huge concert tours when that turned out be the place where the money is. I don't doubt that the question of muse, or the lack of it, or having the drive and energy, or aging, has something to do with their story; surely they do. But still I believe there always has been external reasons to motivate the band into great achievements. I think the death of Stones' creative pulse funnily corresponds to the downhill of recorded music generally (as they once transformed from 'singles band' to albums band). I mean, if there weren't so much money in the touring business but instead in the record business still, I am quite sure we would have gotten more and better albums by the Stones. The premise of the argument is that in the case their future/career would have depended on them (to make great records). Since the nostalgia in the whole rock genre in general, they don't really 'need' new records to survive. The product they sell in huge tours is already done decades ago. They have afford to be as lazy as they want - as they actually have been - in that area.

I think Jagger is interesting guy in the sense that you can't really separate the artistic/economic sides of the things for him. They seem to go hand in hand, and you can't really explain guy's behavior without taking both into consideration (but of course, sometimes other is more prevailing; with the Stones since 1989 it looks like that the money is the only notivation, while his movies and solo recordings, SuperHeavy being the latest, are more artistically driven. I think with The Stones there was a brief period in 1968/69 when it was clearly more artistically than economically driven - or he believed so much to his muse, and to its commercial value, that he dared to do anything).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-19 16:24 by Doxa.

Date: December 19, 2011 17:16

Latter Day Stones...LDS

Latter Day Saints...LDS

Date: December 19, 2011 17:23

drewmaster
StonesTod
drewmaster
Edward Twining

Drew

That's the easy way out, StonesTod.

Drew

easiness is next to godliness...or something.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 19, 2011 19:34

It must count for something that scores of the younger posters on this board were originally drawn in by the band's "modern era work" and performances.

Date: December 19, 2011 19:40

Spud
It must count for something that scores of the younger posters on this board were originally drawn in by the band's "modern era work" and performances.

they were? scores, you say?

Date: December 19, 2011 19:48

Doxa
drewmaster
Edward Twining

Drew

This is a good point. If we look Jagger's (as the true leader and the brains of the band, right?) doings, he does things not by looking back and not really forward (visonally) but around - what's going on at the moment. The Stones in many sense are mirroring the whole rock and roll/pop music business: they did singles when that was the criterion of success, they did albums when that was the criterion, and they did huge concert tours when that turned out be the place where the money is. I don't doubt that the question of muse, or the lack of it, or having the drive and energy, or aging, has something to do with their story; surely they do. But still I believe there always has been external reasons to motivate the band into great achievements. I think the death of Stones' creative pulse funnily corresponds to the downhill of recorded music generally (as they once transformed from 'singles band' to albums band). I mean, if there weren't so much money in the touring business but instead in the record business still, I am quite sure we would have gotten more and better albums by the Stones. The premise of the argument is that in the case their future/career would have depended on them (to make great records). Since the nostalgia in the whole rock genre in general, they don't really 'need' new records to survive. The product they sell in huge tours is already done decades ago. They have afford to be as lazy as they want - as they actually have been - in that area.

I think Jagger is interesting guy in the sense that you can't really separate the artistic/economic sides of the things for him. They seem to go hand in hand, and you can't really explain guy's behavior without taking both into consideration (but of course, sometimes other is more prevailing; with the Stones since 1989 it looks like that the money is the only notivation, while his movies and solo recordings, SuperHeavy being the latest, are more artistically driven. I think with The Stones there was a brief period in 1968/69 when it was clearly more artistically than economically driven - or he believed so much to his muse, and to its commercial value, that he dared to do anything).

- Doxa

Interesting points, Doxa. It's a bit depressing to think that the Stones (or at least Mick) may be more interested in the economic side of things than the artistic side. Perhaps Mick feels that the Stones artistic legacy is now "sealed" and that the band is now nothing more than a cash cow to be milked as much as possible.

His choices outside the Stones, as you point out, are decidedly NON-commercial. I mean, how much LESS commercial can you get than by producing films like "Enigma"? Maybe he feels that it is outside of the Stones where he still needs to establish a legacy, whereas within the Stones, that legacy has been established decades ago.

But as far as allowing the quality of the Stones' songwriting to diminish, I used to think that, for Keith at least, quality was "Job #1", and that they would never sacrifice one iota of artistic quality for the sake of money. Maybe Keith is too tired, too disengaged to fight that fight anymore.

Drew

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 19, 2011 19:53

It's a complicated argument this...I 'discovered' the Stones around 1970/71 so I always think of there hey day as being 70-79. I've read others on here who are older than me and tend to like the 66-70 era more and Brian's input. COnsequently I suppose if you go to your first Stones show in the 80's, 90's, 2000's and you are a teenager you could well see this as a golden age. Maybe it's the age you come across them that defines what you consider their best work/era. I don't know but is there anyone who would say Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, Beggars Banquet weren't their best recordings?

Date: December 19, 2011 20:02

crumbling_mice
It's a complicated argument this...I 'discovered' the Stones around 1970/71 so I always think of there hey day as being 70-79. I've read others on here who are older than me and tend to like the 66-70 era more and Brian's input. COnsequently I suppose if you go to your first Stones show in the 80's, 90's, 2000's and you are a teenager you could well see this as a golden age. Maybe it's the age you come across them that defines what you consider their best work/era. I don't know but is there anyone who would say Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, Beggars Banquet weren't their best recordings?

That's a good question. I fell in love with the Stones much later than you did ... 1984 to be specific. But I am a huge fan of their stuff from their very first album all the way to their most recent (i.e., from Not Fade Away to Under the Radar, or Keep Up Blues if that counts). But I think it would be very difficult to support the argument that, post 1981, they have been as CONSISTENTLY SOLID in their songwriting as they were in their so-called "golden age".

Drew

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 19, 2011 20:08

crumbling_mice

There could be some truth to this, however, would one say this is the same for Bob Dylan and other artists? I did not know Bob's old catalog that well except for the famous songs like say "Blowin' in the wind' but I think his older stuff is much more remarkable than the later albums and I mean really going back in Dylan's catalog, Freewheelin' is great, Another side, even before the famous Hiway/Bring it home and Blonde on Blonde albums though John Wesley Hardin rightfully is hailed as one of his best. I think Blood on the tracks in fact, is fairly commercial in flavor though I do have it along with older and newer albums, he has such an extensive discography. I've come not to be as fond of Blood on the tracks and something like Freewheelin' I see as being much better.

I can listen to the Beatles and positively say, I like the earlier stuff much more than the Hey Jude, Let it be Abbey road, even Sgt. Pepper's, Revolver, Rubber Soul era though only in a general sense have I known their music.

The Who, well, they've been pretty constant, but from Tommy, Who's Next, Quad and even WHO ARE YOU (I always say Who's next when I mean instead Who are you, the fingers just type it) and By numbers, pretty consistent in putting out high quality music, better to me than Happy Jack and those others though I would not be critical of someone if they preffered the older songs, Anytime, Can't explain, those are still great songs.

Early Kinks, way the better to me.

Part of the image of the Ramones was pumping out a bunch of 2 minute types of radio ditties though not really AM friendly but still with a pop rock formula. And in that way, that's what I appreciate from the British Invasion and other artists. Oldies radio has been popular, I might not have even been aware of the Tremeloes Here comes my baby but I might hear it a few years ago and then think, that's a good song. Some of us just like the pop flavor or the shorter tunes.

And all in all, these recent Dylan albums, time out of mind, etc. are pretty darn good, I think I prefer those more than Blood on the tracks and Desire.

And a lot of it just depends on the mood one is in and what music will sound good.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-19 20:54 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 19, 2011 20:33

BroomWagon
crumbling_mice

There could be some truth to this, however, would one say this is the same for Bob Dylan and other artists? I did not know Bob's old catalog that well except for the famous songs like say "Blowin' in the wind' but I think his older stuff is much more remarkable than the later albums and I mean really going back in Dylan's catalog, Freewheelin' is great, Another side, even before the famous Hiway/Bring it home and Blonde on Blonde albums though John Wesley Hardin rightfully is hailed as one of his best. I think Blood on the tracks in fact, is fairly commercial in flavor though I do have it along with older and newer albums, he has such an extensive discography. I've come not to be as fond of Blood on the tracks and something like Freewheelin' I see as being much better.

I can listen to the Beatles and positively say, I like the earlier stuff much more than the Hey Jude, Let it be Abbey road, even Sgt. Pepper's, Revolver, Rubber Soul era though only in a general sense have I known their music.

The Who, well, they've been pretty constant, but from Tommy, Who's Next, Quad and even Who's next and By numbers, pretty consistent in putting out high quality music, better to me than Happy Jack and those others though I would not be critical of someone if they preffered the older songs, Anytime, Can't explain, those are still great songs.

Early Kinks, way the better to me.

Part of the image of the Ramones was pumping out a bunch of 2 minute types of radio ditties though not really AM friendly but still with a pop rock formula. And in that way, that's what I appreciate from the British Invasion and other artists. Oldies radio has been popular, I might not have even been aware of the Tremeloes Here comes my baby but I might hear it a few years ago and then think, that's a good song. Some of us just like the pop flavor or the shorter tunes.

And all in all, these recent Dylan albums, time out of mind, etc. are pretty darn good, I think I prefer those more than Blood on the tracks and Desire.

Yep..I agree on that, I'm much the same on Dylan, although he wrote many of his classics in the 60's I don't particuarly like his sound from then. But, whilst I like some of his 70's stuff, I didn't like much of his 80's stuff, but then liked 90's and really liked more recent output.

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: December 19, 2011 23:32

The Stones have never produced anything better than the 12 Some Girls bonus tracks. This is the Rolling Stones at their absolute best.

Date: December 19, 2011 23:34

thewatchman
The Stones have never produced anything better than the 12 Some Girls bonus tracks.

obviously. it was their little joke on the buying public to keep them out of circulation for 3 decades+. they're so funny.

Date: December 19, 2011 23:40

StonesTod
thewatchman
The Stones have never produced anything better than the 12 Some Girls bonus tracks.

obviously. it was their little joke on the buying public to keep them out of circulation for 3 decades+. they're so funny.

All good things come to he who waits. I like their country and blues stuff better than their rockers.

Date: December 19, 2011 23:44

thewatchman
StonesTod
thewatchman

All good things come to he who waits. I like their country and blues stuff better than their rockers.

you know it's only country and blues but you like it....

Date: December 19, 2011 23:49

StonesTod
thewatchman
StonesTod
thewatchman

I like what you have said here.

Date: December 19, 2011 23:56

thewatchman
StonesTod
thewatchman
StonesTod
thewatchman

I like what you have said here.

They could go all country and blues to close out their careers and I could die with a smile on my face. smiling smiley

Date: December 20, 2011 00:27

StonesTod
Spud

Well about 7 years ago I think we tallied something like 4 scores.

Date: December 20, 2011 00:28

thewatchman
The Stones have never produced anything better than the 12 Some Girls bonus tracks. This is the Rolling Stones at their absolute best.

You're really 'all in' when you like something aren't you?

Date: December 20, 2011 00:32

drewmaster
Doxa
drewmaster
Edward Twining

Drew

- Doxa

Interesting points, Doxa. It's a bit depressing to think that the Stones (or at least Mick) may be more interested in the economic side of things than the artistic side. Perhaps Mick feels that the Stones artistic legacy is now "sealed" and that the band is now nothing more than a cash cow to be milked as much as possible.

His choices outside the Stones, as you point out, are decidedly NON-commercial. I mean, how much LESS commercial can you get than by producing films like "Enigma"? Maybe he feels that it is outside of the Stones where he still needs to establish a legacy, whereas within the Stones, that legacy has been established decades ago.

But as far as allowing the quality of the Stones' songwriting to diminish, I used to think that, for Keith at least, quality was "Job #1", and that they would never sacrifice one iota of artistic quality for the sake of money. Maybe Keith is too tired, too disengaged to fight that fight anymore.

Drew

Keith had a lot of us drinking the kool aid. As Keith admitted in LIFE, he's monitoring incoming riffs with the antennae in the air, MJ is about delivering the product and quality control.

So, if you're not happy then in Mick's suggestion box is where you'll need to direct the correspondence.

Date: December 20, 2011 00:43

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Spud

wasn't that tallied by the four fathers or something?

Date: December 20, 2011 00:46

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Spud

wasn't that tallied by the four fathers or something?

John Paul George and Ringo or
John Paul, John, Jimmy and Robert?

Date: December 20, 2011 00:55

treaclefingers
thewatchman

I would say that is a fairly accurate statement.

Date: December 20, 2011 01:05

thewatchman
treaclefingers
thewatchman

I would say that is a fairly accurate statement.

smileys with beer
good to not get on your bad side it seems!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2453
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home