Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Collectors Items must say ffrr Ear
Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: December 3, 2011 23:50

I have spoken to a record collector. If your stones lps do not say "ffrr" ear, they have little value.

If you do have any ffrr ear label London records, contact me immediately.

Re: Collectors Items must say ffrr Ear
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: December 4, 2011 00:06

Why do want to be contacted ?

Date: December 4, 2011 00:15

Do you have any? I will pay up to $200 for each Rolling Stones album with the maroon London Records ff rr logo. Decca label will also be considered but only on a case by case basis.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-04 00:16 by mitchflorida1.

Date: December 4, 2011 00:16

I have many .

Date: December 4, 2011 00:18

They must have the "ffrr" ear logo, or I am not interested. Sorry.

Date: December 4, 2011 00:20

Yeah , I have a lot of them .
Can't go through them right now though .

Any Lps you're particularly interested in ?

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: December 4, 2011 06:38

I've got RS Now! & Out of Our Heads (mono) grinning smiley
-----------------------------------

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 4, 2011 13:13

-

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-04 13:14 by Honestman.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 4, 2011 13:21

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 4, 2011 16:59

I also have a lot of them Mitch...as much as I'd like to skewer your wallet, to maintain my reputation as a honourable stones enthusiast, I'd say your 'source' has duped you.

While there certainly are some variations of the label worth some real dough, simply having the FFRR with ear isn't the only criteria.

Try going to ebay.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 4, 2011 22:31

french fried rockn roll ?

Date: December 4, 2011 22:49

Let me clarify:

ffrr (full frequency range recording) was a spin-off devised by British Decca's development during the Second World War of a high fidelity hydrophone capable of detecting and cataloging individual German submarines by each one's signature engine noise, and enabled a greatly enhanced frequency range (high and low notes) to be captured on recordings.[22] Critics regularly commented on the startling realism of the new Decca recordings. The frequency range of ffrr was 80–15000 Hz, with a signal-to-noise ratio of 60dB. While Decca's early ffrr releases on 78-rpm discs had some noticeable surface noise, which diminished the effects of the high fidelity sound, the introduction of long-playing records in 1949 made better use of the new technology and set an industry standard that was quickly imitated by Decca's competitors.

I AM ONLY INTERESTED INTHE MAROON-COLORED LONDON LABEL WITH FFRR EAR MARKING. PLEASE CHECK THE LABEL COLOR BEFORE RESPONDING.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-04 22:52 by mitchflorida1.

Date: December 4, 2011 23:47

I just spent the last 45 minutes going through my vinyl .
Here's what I have :

Aftermath ~ Canadian Issue
Aftermath ~ UK Issue
Beggars Banquet ~ UK Issue
Between The Buttons ~ Canadian Issue
The Rolling Stones NO. 2 ~ UK Issue
Out Of Our Heads ~ UK Issue
Their Satanic Majesties Request ~ Canadian Issue

I also found a couple of lost forgotten misprints .

A copy of December's Children that has the Got Live If You Want It back Cover affixed

A copy of Let It Bleed with the same label affixed to both sides of the LP .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-04 23:59 by boston2006.

Date: December 5, 2011 09:34

mitchflorida1
Let me clarify:

ffrr (full frequency range recording) was a spin-off devised by British Decca's development during the Second World War of a high fidelity hydrophone capable of detecting and cataloging individual German submarines by each one's signature engine noise, and enabled a greatly enhanced frequency range (high and low notes) to be captured on recordings.[22] Critics regularly commented on the startling realism of the new Decca recordings. The frequency range of ffrr was 80–15000 Hz, with a signal-to-noise ratio of 60dB. While Decca's early ffrr releases on 78-rpm discs had some noticeable surface noise, which diminished the effects of the high fidelity sound, the introduction of long-playing records in 1949 made better use of the new technology and set an industry standard that was quickly imitated by Decca's competitors.

I AM ONLY INTERESTED INTHE MAROON-COLORED LONDON LABEL WITH FFRR EAR MARKING. PLEASE CHECK THE LABEL COLOR BEFORE RESPONDING.

OK, looks like you wanna play...here's what I have:

3 copies of England's Newest Hitmakers - London - FFRR - Made In England
1 copy 12x5 - London - FFRR - Made in England
1 copy NOW - London - FFRR - Made In England
2 copies OOOH - London - FFRR - Made in England

So I figure if you have $1400 that you'd like to give me PLUS shipping, let's dance.

By the way...these aren't even the rarest necessarily. I have 3 copies of NOW, in stereo, that are London unboxed, which would be the earliest stereo pressings. Also weird variations of England's Newest Hitmakers and NOW that have parellel horizontal lines on the label (I think I read they were printed for the armed forces...so very rare).

With all that said, they don't hold a candle to some of the original unboxed DECCA's of the era, which are actually beautiful, if you're a vinyl enthusiast.

EBAY can be great, but you have to shop....I stopped about 3 years ago.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: December 5, 2011 09:48

boston2006
I just spent the last 45 minutes going through my vinyl .
Here's what I have :

Aftermath ~ Canadian Issue
Aftermath ~ UK Issue
Beggars Banquet ~ UK Issue
Between The Buttons ~ Canadian Issue
The Rolling Stones NO. 2 ~ UK Issue
Out Of Our Heads ~ UK Issue
Their Satanic Majesties Request ~ Canadian Issue

I also found a couple of lost forgotten misprints .

A copy of December's Children that has the Got Live If You Want It back Cover affixed

A copy of Let It Bleed with the same label affixed to both sides of the LP .

Hi Boston, will you send me a mail?
Thx!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 5, 2011 12:04

Is UK Decca 1964-1969 always 'London' ffrr with an ear? Do I only have other pressings not having this sayin/showing 'London'?

2 1 2 0

Date: December 5, 2011 13:26

I believe the London records were pressed in England for American Export.

If you have the Decca (red) version that could be better.

Date: December 5, 2011 13:45

treaclefingers
mitchflorida1
Let me clarify:

OK, looks like you wanna play...here's what I have:

3 copies of England's Newest Hitmakers - London - FFRR - Made In England
1 copy 12x5 - London - FFRR - Made in England
1 copy NOW - London - FFRR - Made In England
2 copies OOOH - London - FFRR - Made in England

So I figure if you have $1400 that you'd like to give me PLUS shipping, let's dance.

By the way...these aren't even the rarest necessarily. I have 3 copies of NOW, in stereo, that are London unboxed, which would be the earliest stereo pressings. Also weird variations of England's Newest Hitmakers and NOW that have parellel horizontal lines on the label (I think I read they were printed for the armed forces...so very rare).

With all that said, they don't hold a candle to some of the original unboxed DECCA's of the era, which are actually beautiful, if you're a vinyl enthusiast.

EBAY can be great, but you have to shop....I stopped about 3 years ago.

I agree with you treacle , We go through the trouble to hunt this stuff up for him and he does not respond

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: December 5, 2011 14:26

Boston & Treacle
why dont you drop me a line too, so we could start that vinyl club we talked about forever winking smiley

(edited out email)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-01 12:01 by RobberBride.

Date: December 5, 2011 14:31

I am still trying to figure out which is more valuable to a collector. Decca or London label? I think Decca has a laminated cover, which would tell me that Decca is the way to go.

Date: December 5, 2011 17:24

With due respect Mitch, you started your thread as though you were an authority, and asked us who has the FFRR because you'd like to pay up to $200 per album. I knew that wasn't going to happen!

Now, you're being a little more forthright in that you're asking some questions, which is fine...I'm still asking questions...the stones have a very interesting and varied catalogue.

No one in the world has every variation of the releases...just too many.

It makes it all the more fun.

The original DECCA 'deep groove' pressings are very heavy vinyl, and for purists THE best way to hear the sixties music. The most valuable LPs that I've seen, are the variations of the first album (with either the short version of the song TELL ME (hypervaluable) or the long version of the song (pretty valuable), depending on whether the song is called MONA or I NEED YOU BABY....and unboxed OR boxed versions (red label of course) of Let It Bleed.

I'm only talking about regular releases, and not promos, acetates, or limited releases.

These can be in the several hundred of GBPs depending on condition.

Steffie Stones and Boston2006 appear to be the real experts on a lot of this stuff, so if you're just doing research, which is a great idea, then here would be a good place to start as we obviously enjoy discussing this.

Date: December 5, 2011 19:48

RobberBride
Boston & Treacle
why dont you drop me a line too, so we could start that vinyl club we talked about forever winking smiley

[email protected]

I started a rare vinyl thread a couple of months ago...why don't we dig that out as we started with some pretty interesting things on that. That way if there are any others out there that are also interested, they could join in the 'chat'?

Here is that link:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 5, 2011 21:28

treaclefingers
With due respect Mitch, you started your thread as though you were an authority, and asked us who has the FFRR because you'd like to pay up to $200 per album. I knew that wasn't going to happen!

Now, you're being a little more forthright in that you're asking some questions, which is fine...I'm still asking questions...the stones have a very interesting and varied catalogue.

No one in the world has every variation of the releases...just too many.

It makes it all the more fun.

The original DECCA 'deep groove' pressings are very heavy vinyl, and for purists THE best way to hear the sixties music. The most valuable LPs that I've seen, are the variations of the first album (with either the short version of the song TELL ME (hypervaluable) or the long version of the song (pretty valuable), depending on whether the song is called MONA or I NEED YOU BABY....and unboxed OR boxed versions (red label of course) of Let It Bleed.

I'm only talking about regular releases, and not promos, acetates, or limited releases.

These can be in the several hundred of GBPs depending on condition.

Steffie Stones and Boston2006 appear to be the real experts on a lot of this stuff, so if you're just doing research, which is a great idea, then here would be a good place to start as we obviously enjoy discussing this.

Don't forget Jan Richards from Stones Viking

[www.stonesvikings.com]

Date: December 5, 2011 21:43

Thanks for the compliment treacle , glad to see the thread has been reincarnated .

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: December 5, 2011 21:59

For years I've been wanting to produce a booklet on London Mono Label Variations from the Stones. I collect these records for the label variations as well as other reasons. I have multiple variations of each London Mono LP, some so far 8 different labels such as the Satanic Majesties. Variations include but not limited to color ie red, maroon, kind of maroon,white(first album) boxed, unboxed, FFRR, not FFRR, side 1 , side one, Front side, songs centered, left margin, numbered, not numbered, band 1, 2 etc, Made in USA or not, first recorded by Decca Recording co. or not, production credit placement, things right of the center hole, things to the left of hole, ear no ear, horizontal lines, no lines, words in lines, no words in lines, Long playing, not Long playing etc..

A lot of fun, it may never end or be known why, but I am always finding label variations.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 5, 2011 22:06

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-06 15:31 by schillid.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: December 5, 2011 22:57

Thanks TT for the link to my page and also to NICO for remembering me. I’m the guy who has put together the stonesondecca.com page

A bit of clarification seams to be needed.

London LP’s with the ffrr mark sold in US as new back in the 60’s were all pressed in UK by Decca. These LP’s can be easily identified by the text “Made In England” or a second longer version “Made In England By Decca Record Co LTD” on the label. The inner bag was also made in UK and the LP’s were put into the bags and sent to US without sleeves. They were put into US made sleeves on arrival in the US.

The reasong for doing this is not known.

The following LP’s exists made in UK by Decca on the London label and made for export to US:

England’s Newest Hitmakers – LL3375, mono pressing, red label
England’s Newest Hitmakers – LL3375DJ, white label promo
12 x 5 – LL3402, mono pressing, red label
12 x 5 – PS 402, stereo pressing. blue label
Now! – LL3402, mono pressing, red label
Out Of Our Heads – LL3429, mono pressing, red label
Out Of Our Heads – PS429, stereo pressing, blue label

The matrix and pressing plates for all these LP’s were made in UK by Decca and the quality is equal to all other UK made Stones LP’s on the Decca label, that is pressed during the 60’s to be specific. The same people, the same lathe to cut the acetates and the same pruduction process was used for “normal” Decca LP’s and for these “special export” London LP’s. Sound quality is usually superior to all US London pressed LP’s

The ffrr next to London on the label is missing on all US made London LP’s, so if you find a London with the ffrr, then it is NOT a US pressing. Canadian London did also use the ffrr label version during the 60’s. Easy to identify as Made In Canada is on the label. I only have three or four of them and I have not been investigating them that much so I cannot tell about the sound quality

The story continues in 1968 when King records in Japan had problems to manufacture LP’s for the domestic market. London Records once again contacted Decca in UK for more LP’s using the London label. At this point the following LP’s were made:

Flowers – PS509
Satanic – NPS2
Beggars Banquet – PS539
Stone Age – SKL5084 (using the original UK catalogue number as this LP had never been issued in US)

That's about it really

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: December 5, 2011 23:10

deardoctortake1
For years I've been wanting to produce a booklet on London Mono Label Variations from the Stones. I collect these records for the label variations as well as other reasons. I have multiple variations of each London Mono LP, some so far 8 different labels such as the Satanic Majesties. Variations include but not limited to color ie red, maroon, kind of maroon,white(first album) boxed, unboxed, FFRR, not FFRR, side 1 , side one, Front side, songs centered, left margin, numbered, not numbered, band 1, 2 etc, Made in USA or not, first recorded by Decca Recording co. or not, production credit placement, things right of the center hole, things to the left of hole, ear no ear, horizontal lines, no lines, words in lines, no words in lines, Long playing, not Long playing etc..

A lot of fun, it may never end or be known why, but I am always finding label variations.

Hi doc! I have done the same thing with UK Decca pressings of the 60's. Been collecting them for 20+ years and the result of all details I found on the way ended up on my stonesondecca page!

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: December 6, 2011 00:37

"The ffrr next to London on the label is missing on all US made London LP’s, so if you find a London with the ffrr, then it is NOT a US pressing. Canadian London did also use the ffrr label version during the 60’s. Easy to identify as Made In Canada is on the label. I only have three or four of them and I have not been investigating them that much so I cannot tell about the sound quality"

This an ultra rare version of ffrr made in the United States. It is worth a King's Ransom, and I am currently negotiating a price . Very rare. I would not pay a nickle for anything without the ffrr ear. Sorry

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: December 6, 2011 01:10

A fool and his money are soon parted.

I would not pay 200 for any london pressed Rolling Stones album. They are worth maybe 30 dollars tops, with the possible exceptions of the first album, the Mono Satanic Majesties and, of course, the "Shelley" Hot Rocks with the alternate Brown Sugar/Wild Horses Only the Shelley is worth over a hundred bucks. The records that you are offering to pay 200 dollars for are not that rare. Just save your money and buy Deccas, which are generally superior in every way.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1387
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home