Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Georgia Satellites
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 5, 2011 15:46

Never heard of them when I saw them open up for Bob Seger during the Like A Rock tour, went right out and bought their album the next day they were so good!

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 5, 2011 15:56

The Satellites guitarist was in Izzy Stradlin & The Ju JU Hounds. They were one helluva band. The first Dan Baird solo album was terrific too. The second, not so much.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 5, 2011 16:18

From4tilLate
Dan Baird is a great character. He's got (by his own admission) a "Type AAA Personality". He's a great, hyper conversationalist. He doesn't drink or do drugs, and I'm glad for that, because I would imagine his head just popping off if he did. (He does chain-smoke though.) As it is, he's this marvelous combination of a trailer park redneck and well-rounded intellectual.

The music he plays is only a fraction of the music he listens to and appreciates. And he knows lots of tunes. I jammed with him one night and thought we must have run through half of Neil Young's catalog by the time we were done.

I've had a great time writing with him and Warner Hodges for the Homemade Sin records. And it was great watching him bash out "Brown Sugar" in the Bobby Keys band at the Mercy Lounge a few months back. As much as Keith Richards is, Dan IS rock and roll. It's in his veins. I'm glad he lives in Nashville.

Tommy

right on right on thanks Tommy

I'll be listening and watching for performances from you both

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: December 5, 2011 16:25

There IS a BIG difference from rock to roll. It doesn't mean that rock is not as good as the roll. That is every mans opinion and taste. But if one can't hear the difference between AC/DC's way of presenting a song to The Stones's, well....
It's got nothing to do with tightness, it's the way the bass and drums play together, and putting it all together with the rhythm guitar. The roll is a much more laid back way of playing, not som much on the exact beat.
As far as I'm concerned, much of the Stones roll dissapeared when Bill quit the band. He is just so good at that, and I miss him dearly in the band.

Differences in personal taste is no use to discuss, but to say that this is bullsh.t is complete nonsence.

Having said that, I saw GS years ago, when they peaked, and the shook me all night long! A great show. Then I saw them years later without Baird, and they where nothing. Then, a couple of years ago I saw Baird with his band and he was great. NEVER EVER underestimate the importance of a good rhythm guitarist!
smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-05 16:27 by NedKelly.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 5, 2011 17:14

NedKelly
There IS a BIG difference from rock to roll. It doesn't mean that rock is not as good as the roll. That is every mans opinion and taste. But if one can't hear the difference between AC/DC's way of presenting a song to The Stones's, well....
It's got nothing to do with tightness, it's the way the bass and drums play together, and putting it all together with the rhythm guitar. The roll is a much more laid back way of playing, not som much on the exact beat.

i would like a breakdown of all bands as to whether ppl think they roll or not...i still don't get it...

if it's rock'n'roll...by the very definition of it, it's got a backbeat...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 5, 2011 21:32

IF...you can't lose it....

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 5, 2011 22:35

From 1986 to 1988, I must have seen this band 4 or 5 times as a warm up act for other groups. I grew real tired of them rather quickly.

Re: OT: Georgia & Real Rock -n- Roll
Posted by: SomeGirlsXXX ()
Date: December 5, 2011 22:55

To me Rock -N- Roll is the Stones period. It's very hard to find anything new that will hold my interest. Bands like the Dandy Warhols "Amsterdam, Jet "Cold Hard Bitch", and The Hives "Hate to Say I Told You So" all had moments in recent years, but fizzled.

I've seen the guys so many times, even paying mortgage payment prices for tickets to places like the Hard Rock Joint. Can't wait to see them next year, hope the forces that be in their juggernaught don't come out trying to break the bank this time!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-07 04:33 by SomeGirlsXXX.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: December 5, 2011 23:33

Saw them in the 80s. It was nice to see a real rock and roll band. I still love thieer music. Their version of Games People Play is one at least 4 ogf my playlists.

Dan Baird has done some good solo stuff too.

Re: OT: Georgia & Real Rock -n- Roll
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 5, 2011 23:35

Bands with less 'roll' have a much more pounding rhythm section, eg AC/DC. It makes you tap your feet or clap your hands. Music with more roll, makes you move your whole body. At least in my case. thumbs up

Other than that, if you don't hear or feel it, no worries. Enjoying the music is the most important thing.

Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: December 6, 2011 00:37

hey 4tillate..warner hodges kicks ass.I will be seeing the scorchers on new year's eve in Nashville

Date: December 6, 2011 20:34

just had to add this..

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 6, 2011 21:15

rocknola, here's some footage of Warner Hodges performing with from4tillate's(Tommy Womack) 80s/90s band Government Cheese "reunion" gig...

Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: December 7, 2011 04:06

very cool.never seen that before. thanks scottkeef

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: December 7, 2011 05:19

Saw them several times in the late '80s/early '90s and actually hung out with them a bit at their hotel after a show in Louisville, KY at the Phoenix Hill Tavern in '90 or '91. Rick Richards put a serious dent in the bottle of Jack Daniels I brought along.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 17, 2011 20:53

Date: December 18, 2011 10:02

yup

sudbury ontario circa 1985 (4 hours north of toronto)

january

cold, like minus 25 celsius

we are drinking an getting stoked, its a blizzard out there

the band is late, tied up in in the weather

they show up at midnight, load in their gear and start just after 1am

the bar is packed and fired up

Dan Baird strolls on, says, 'holy @#$%& its cold out there, how the hell y'all live up here?'

and then they proceeded to tear the roof off the place with barnstorming rock and roll until 4 am

all Dan Baird's solo stuff s great, so is all his stuff with the Yayhoos (with Eric Ambel (ex- Del Lords and Roscoe's Gang) and all his other side projects

Dan Baird IS rock and roll my friends

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-18 10:07 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Date: December 19, 2011 19:05

pinkfloydthebarber
yup

january

Dan Baird strolls on, says, 'holy @#$%& its cold out there, how the hell y'all live up here?'

and then they proceeded to tear the roof off the place with barnstorming rock and roll until 4 am

all Dan Baird's solo stuff s great, so is all his stuff with the Yayhoos (with Eric Ambel (ex- Del Lords and Roscoe's Gang) and all his other side projects

great story, thanks for posting

thats the stuff I love...bar band to the max. Any pics?

thanks again

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 19, 2011 19:13

excellent Yayhoos/Baird for any of you Georgia Satellite fans who haven't heard it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-19 19:17 by Rollin' Stoner.

Posted by: KeefRichards88 ()
Date: December 19, 2011 20:02

When Rick Richards got with the Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds Ronnie Wood is on the album's 9th track Take A Look At The Guy. The album is one of my top ten favorite albums of all time. I had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy Ashhurst who was the bassist for the Ju Ju Hounds, He plays with his fingers and is known as Jimmy "Two Fingers" - He gave me guitar picks in the shape of dog bones, Jimmy is the nicest guy to hang out with. He is now with Buckcherry and is one of the guys who brought that band back on the charts 6 years ago.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 19, 2011 20:27

KeefRichards88
I had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy Ashhurst who was the bassist for the Ju Ju Hounds, He plays with his fingers and is known as Jimmy "Two Fingers"

What else would he play with, his toes? confused smiley

Date: December 20, 2011 02:19

pinkfloydthebarber

yup

january

---------------------

great story, thanks for posting

thats the stuff I love...bar band to the max. Any pics?

thanks again

-----------------------

I wish I had the pics. that was a long time ago. I had taken some then but who the hell knows where they are now.. no computer storage in those days ..sorry I cannot oblige. come to think of it I think it was '89 not '85 as they were touring their 'Salvation and Sin' record.

i also highly recommend the aforementioned Yayhoos record 'Fear Not The Obvious' and Erci Ambel's Roscoes Gang stuff like 'Loud and Lonesome' and 'Roscoes Gang.' Ambel is the other guitarist in the Yayhoos along with Dan Baird and his records are pretty spectacular in their own right.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-20 02:20 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Date: December 20, 2011 02:33

*The Satellites guitarist was in Izzy Stradlin & The Ju JU Hounds. They were one helluva band. The first Dan Baird solo album was terrific too. The second, not so much.*

---------------

- The guitarist in Izzy's band from the Satellites is Rick Richards; he's still with Izzy. That band has numerous great records out, available online only I think. Baird's second record was 'Buffalo Nickel' and IMO is pretty damn terrific. 'Lil Bit' is a helluva song, the cover of 'Hush' is downright greasy and grimy. Joe South, the song's writer, also contributes background vocals.'Cumberland River' might be one of the best songs Baird's ever written. 'Out of Mothballs' a compilation of b-sides and outtakes etc is also pretty cool.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1341
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home