Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie Wood interview - Metro, March 26
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 28, 2018 20:14

Ronnie Wood on The Rolling Stones’ new tour, exploding lungs and the ultimate frontman

by Chris Cowley March 26, 2018

You’re off on tour again. Do you guys ever stop?

Apparently no. Great, isn’t it? After the last show in Paris, we all looked at each other and said: ‘We’re just getting warmed up.’

What is it about the Rolling Stones that keeps you going?

There’s something magic that happens when all four of us come together. It’s like a momentum none of us can explain. It’s like, bang — an unstoppable force.

Do you think you’ll do another tour?

There’s nothing to stop us because I think the band is playing the best it’s ever played.

In what way?

All of the songs we play have a life of their own. Instead of the monotony of ‘er, not that song again’, which you would think might set in with us being so weathered and aged, there’s a kind of freshness. Satisfaction, for instance — that takes on a completely different shape every time we play it now, which means it’s more of a challenge to make it ring true with a different presentation.

How do you achieve that?

We have a rough arrangement but none of us know what’s coming next. So we’re all having to keep on our toes.

Do you see much of the places you play?

Most of the time we are trapped in the hotels because once the word gets around town, you are confined to barracks, as it were. In Argentina, for instance, forget about it — you can’t go out.

Is there anywhere you haven’t played?

I’d like to play to the Samburu tribesmen in Kenya. I think we’d have something in common.

What’s it like being a Rolling Stone?

It’s a continuing adventure. Fun. We get enough off-time to be able to contemplate what it’s like but not enough spare time to really wallow in any great bits. There’s so much on our plates and my twins [Gracie Jane and Alice Rose, with wife Sally, who turn two in May] are taking up all my spare time. They are fantastic.

Do they go on tour with you?

Yeah. They love people and people love them. Sally is pretty full-on with them during the daytime. They enjoy soundchecks and then they go home to bed for the gig.

You don’t seem to age… how do you keep your hair?

[Laughs] Thank you, God. Someone up there likes me and someone down there likes me as well.

How is your cancer?

I had three months of check-ups and it was all clear and they said go and enjoy life.

Would you turn down chemotherapy if you wanted to keep your hair?

I don’t want to lose my hair. If your body is riddled with cancer, it’s a losing cause. Luckily, all mine was contained within the left lung and I was fortunate enough to get shot of it, bang. There was none in the rest of my body so I didn’t require chemo.

Do you have any regrets about all the excesses of the past?

No, not even smoking for England for over 50 years — it was a wonder I wasn’t riddled with cancer in both lungs. It’s a wonder they both didn’t explode.

Do you have a message for anyone told they have cancer?

Just be strong and remain positive. I was prepared to remain positive to my dying breath. I’ve had a great life and I was all ready to go. Wow! I didn’t know I was going to be given the ticket to last this long. What a reprieve.

Do you have any vices left?

Just the mere act of getting up in the morning is the big vice for me now.

So what do you do to relax these days?

Well, my painting and drawing are my big relaxer, but apart from that I love box sets — Spiral’s great.

Who’s the better frontman, Rod Stewart or Mick Jagger?

I have played with two of the best frontmen: Rod in his warmth and his humour, and Mick with his sheer stamina, vigour and unbelievable energy. Mick comes and urges you on. He shares a vibe and gives encouragement, and I often feel him go by and wonder: ‘What was that?’ I have to hand it to him.

[www.metro.news]

Re: Ronnie Wood interview - Metro, March 26
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 28, 2018 20:47

Is there anywhere you haven’t played?

"I’d like to play to the Samburu tribesmen in Kenya. I think we’d have something in common".

Tribesmen feeling uneasy at the prospect of another warhorse show:

Tribesman #1: "Stale setlist again"
Tribesman #2: "You Can't Always Get What You Want"
Tribesman #1: "They already played that"
Tribesman #3: "It's Only Rock'N'Roll (But I Like It)"
Tribesman #1: "They already played that"
Tribesman #2: " Miss You"
Tribesman #3: "Piss break"
Tribesman #2: "Slipping Away"
Tribesman #1: "WTF is this"
Tribesman #3: "Beer run"
Tribesman #1: "I Can't Get No Satisfaction"
Tribesman 2: "Me neither"
Tribesman #3: "I try and I try and I try and I try"
Tribesman #1: "Jumping Jack Flash"

Entire tribe rejoices, singing and dancing along happily ever after.

winking smiley

PS - Glad Ronnie is doing well! thumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 28, 2018 20:49

Does Ronnie look good???
well....
Jeroen

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 28, 2018 21:04

Photo wasn't credited/dated. It's actually from March 2017.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 29, 2018 08:14

Hairball,brilliant !

Ronnie "all clear" after cancer scare
Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: March 28, 2018 19:54

Ronnie Wood 'All Clear' After Lung Cancer Scare
"Luckily, all mine was contained within the left lung and I was fortunate enough to get shot of it, bang," Rolling Stones guitarist said

Ronnie Wood revealed in a new interview that the Rolling Stones guitarist is now cancer-free after being diagnosed with "a touch of lung cancer."
By Daniel Kreps

Ronnie Wood on Secret Cancer Battle: 'It Could Have Been Curtains' British Art Dealer Sentenced for Stealing Ronnie Wood's Paintings Rolling Stones Extend 'No Filter' Tour With New U.K., European Shows All Stories
Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood revealed in a new interview that he is now cancer-free after being diagnosed with "a touch of lung cancer" in 2017.

"I had three months of check-ups and it was all clear and they said go and enjoy life," Wood told Metro.
Wood had a part of his lung removed after doctors found "this supernova burning away on my left lung," he said last August. Fortunately, the cancer didn't spread to other parts of the body – "If that had happened it would have been all over for me" – and the guitarist didn't require chemotherapy, which was good news as Wood didn't "want to lose my hair," he told Metro.
"If your body is riddled with cancer, it’s a losing cause. Luckily, all mine was contained within the left lung and I was fortunate enough to get shot of it, bang. There was none in the rest of my body so I didn’t require chemo," Wood added, marveling that his lungs didn't "explode" after smoking cigarettes for over 50 years. Wood has since quit his nicotine habit.
Wood also doled out some advice for those dealing with cancer. "Just be strong and remain positive," he said. "I was prepared to remain positive to my dying breath. I’ve had a great life and I was all ready to go. Wow! I didn’t know I was going to be given the ticket to last this long. What a reprieve."
With a clean bill of health, Wood will join the Rolling Stones on their upcoming European tour.

Re: Ronnie "all clear" after cancer scare
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 28, 2018 22:24

He's an incredibly lucky guy. Most people don't get away that easy with years of massive drug use, chain smoking, and heavy drinking. I'm not judging him, just saying...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Re: Ronnie "all clear" after cancer scare
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 28, 2018 23:23

Go, Ronnie, go!! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 29, 2018 09:12

Nice to see that he's still firing on all cylinders despite the scare. Blessed man he is indeed with his family...and the Stones !

I'm not a lung cancer expert but I find it odd that they just took out the tumor and didn't do any chemio or radio therapy whatsoever just to be on the safe side like they do for colon cancer or breast cancer even when the whole tumor can be removed. It must have been a very mild cancer caught at the earliest possible stage. Anyway, may he rock on for a few many years to come !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 29, 2018 13:35

'The band is playing the best its ever played'.

Really?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 29, 2018 18:18

bye bye johnny
There’s nothing to stop us because I think the band is playing the best it’s ever played.

He's been hanging out with Keef too often ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2415
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home