Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

To The Stones: My advice for your 50th Year!
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: November 29, 2011 02:50

Ok, here’s my open letter/thread where we can try some suggestions on how the Stones should celebrate next year (beyond the obvious request for at least some type of tour).

Here’s my wish list:

1) Every tour normally involves at least one new release (quite often a lame greatest hits) - How about a multi-CD 60’s rarities set? To have some of the early demos like “Diddley Daddy” etc. and the “Little Boy Blue” tracks and other miscellaneous instrumental and outtakes would be a very special gift to the fans, and obviously these are not tracks you want to be doing any significant overdubbing on. The BBC tracks and others that got away like “Tell Me Baby, How Many Times” and “Two Trains” would be unbelievably nice to have on an official release. Part B of this suggestion would be to allow some fan input from someone like Martin Elliot or anyone else that really knows the catalog and what should be on there and consider a bonus disc of live tracks from the 60’s like “I’m Hers She’s Yours” from Hyde Park.

2) Be sure to play some “never played live” songs like “Out of Time” and a couple others that have only been played on limited basis, like “She’s a Rainbow” Again, a little fan input might be nice here too.

3) Re-release 25 x 5 video to cover the entire 50 years or come up with an even better 50 years retrospective.

4) An all encompassing book with photos from all 50 years and detailed discography and input from all members. The “According to…” book was nice but could be better.

5) New songs – If you can’t put together a new CD, at least a great 4 track EP with some new stuff to play is crucial.

6) Venues – Mix it up like the Licks tour, that was awesome to be able to see them in a small theater and then go the next day to a stadium!

7) Film the entire tour and release CD/DVD’s of every show ala’ Pearl Jam/The Who or at least put out another 4 Disc DVD Box through Best Buy.

8) Please don’t be obnoxious with pricing - if the tickets are not in the clouds, you will get college kids in and they can see what the fuss is all about.

9) Don’t feel you have to top U2. A reasonable length tour that you can do a good job with is better than some marathon where near the end the voices are shot and Keith cannot play anymore.

10) Lastly – DO NOT CALL IT “THE LAST TOUR” (even if it is). Calling it the "50 Years Tour" or "Golden Tour" or something is less sad and does not reek of all of the previous money grabs by other artists who retire only to cash in a few years later when they come out of retirement. Leave yourself an out on the issue.

Anyway, even if you don't take me up on any of these, Thanks for an amazing run and for the archive blowout of late!

Re: To The Stones: My advice for your 50th Year!
Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: November 29, 2011 02:57

they would never call it the last tour,its not in there dna.!!!!!!lol.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 29, 2011 03:07

There's a tour?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 29, 2011 03:09

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 29, 2011 03:23

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: November 29, 2011 03:43

Lynd8
Ok, here’s my open letter/thread where we can try some suggestions on how the Stones should celebrate next year (beyond the obvious request for at least some type of tour).

Here’s my wish list:

1) Every tour normally involves at least one new release (quite often a lame greatest hits) - How about a multi-CD 60’s rarities set? To have some of the early demos like “Diddley Daddy” etc. and the “Little Boy Blue” tracks and other miscellaneous instrumental and outtakes would be a very special gift to the fans, and obviously these are not tracks you want to be doing any significant overdubbing on. The BBC tracks and others that got away like “Tell Me Baby, How Many Times” and “Two Trains” would be unbelievably nice to have on an official release. Part B of this suggestion would be to allow some fan input from someone like Martin Elliot or anyone else that really knows the catalog and what should be on there and consider a bonus disc of live tracks from the 60’s like “I’m Hers She’s Yours” from Hyde Park.

2) Be sure to play some “never played live” songs like “Out of Time” and a couple others that have only been played on limited basis, like “She’s a Rainbow” Again, a little fan input might be nice here too.

3) Re-release 25 x 5 video to cover the entire 50 years or come up with an even better 50 years retrospective.

4) An all encompassing book with photos from all 50 years and detailed discography and input from all members. The “According to…” book was nice but could be better.

5) New songs – If you can’t put together a new CD, at least a great 4 track EP with some new stuff to play is crucial.

6) Venues – Mix it up like the Licks tour, that was awesome to be able to see them in a small theater and then go the next day to a stadium!

7) Film the entire tour and release CD/DVD’s of every show ala’ Pearl Jam/The Who or at least put out another 4 Disc DVD Box through Best Buy.

8) Please don’t be obnoxious with pricing - if the tickets are not in the clouds, you will get college kids in and they can see what the fuss is all about.

9) Don’t feel you have to top U2. A reasonable length tour that you can do a good job with is better than some marathon where near the end the voices are shot and Keith cannot play anymore.

10) Lastly – DO NOT CALL IT “THE LAST TOUR” (even if it is). Calling it the "50 Years Tour" or "Golden Tour" or something is less sad and does not reek of all of the previous money grabs by other artists who retire only to cash in a few years later when they come out of retirement. Leave yourself an out on the issue.

Anyway, even if you don't take me up on any of these, Thanks for an amazing run and for the archive blowout of late!

Excellent ideas.thumbs up

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: November 29, 2011 05:58

backstreetboy1
they would never call it the last tour,its not in there dna.!!!!!!lol.

And also because the last tour is going to come in 2015 on the 50th anniversary of Satisfaction.

Date: November 29, 2011 14:05

"I'd rather be dead than singing Satisfaction when I'm forty-five". - by Jagger, Mick
quotationsbook.com/quote/36870

Turns out he just didn't want to sing it at 45, but no problem when 65 thankfully LOL.

Posted by: johnypar ()
Date: November 29, 2011 17:44

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 29, 2011 17:53

Very nicely said

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: November 29, 2011 18:13

Excellent post!

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: November 29, 2011 18:33

There are too many legal issues with past recordings to do some of what you suggest. They rest, I fear, may be too much for them now.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: November 29, 2011 18:36

youre asking tooo much and it would see light of day but good try.

Date: December 6, 2012 23:57

The above post was mine from one year ago -

Well, we ended up with a pretty good book, the IBC Demos, the BBC tracks, some rarities played live like "Lady Jane" and we're getting a PPV. We're also getting "Crossfire Hurrcane" DVD. We've had a couple Google live releases this year and two new songs. I'm sure some will still complain but let's count our blessings LOL

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 7, 2012 02:08

Lynd8
let's count our blessings LOL

I'll drink to that smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: December 7, 2012 06:03

My advice for the 50th year is as follows:

1. Fire Chuck

2. No horns. Even for songs that originally had horns. Just weave more and turn up the bass vol.

3. Play some songs in the faster tempos as they were on the 1981/82 tour. Shock the world and play 20 flight rock in the tempo you did in 1982.

4. Employ Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman part time permanently.

5. Any new songs written and recorded should be more blues oriented and organic instead of awkward quasi commercial appeal attempts like doom&gloom and one more shot.

6. Fire Don Was for what he did to Doom&Gloom.

7. Mick, Keith, and Ron produce their own music.

8. Enforce a litmus test for chicks wanting to guest on Gimme Shelter. If they don't have the pipes to emit a bone chilling scream during the word "murder" as Merry Clayton sang on the original.....NO DEAL. I'm sick of watching sluts march out, vamp, showboat, feign foreplay, and fail to deliver vocally. By allowing these women to make the song all about their outfit and vamping, you've neutered the impact of an important song.

9. This suggestion is specifically to Mick Jagger: STOP BEING EMBARRASED BY ALL NON WARHORSE SONGS. Just because that metrosexual realtor in the front row has a quizzical look on his face when you're playing "My Obsession" or "Blue turns to gray" doesn't mean there aren't tens of thousands of people who are extremely happy you dusted it off.

10. This suggestion is to Keith Richards: I have noticed that the less you smile, the better you play. It's directly proportionate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1976
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home