Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Great Guitarists (according to rock and rollers)
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 29, 2011 21:15

We assembled a panel of top guitarists and other experts to rank bla bla bla

..a bunch of Top Models would have done a better job....where's for example Hound Dog Tayolor and Johnny Thunders...my dead grandmother know more of guitarplaying than these expert panel...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: November 29, 2011 23:20

crumbling_mice
It would be interesting to see the criteria which they use to reach these results. It's clearly obvious to me after seeing these type of things for over 40 years that it's nothing necessarily to do with technical abilities. I'm guessing it's an all round type of criteria, taking into account, riffs, song writing, noteriety, technical ability, chart success, death, the look, how influential etc etc. In which case Keith definatly deserves his place in any top 10. He defined a new way of playing electric guitar, he wrote some of the most memorable riffs, he looked the part, he lived the part, he wrote fantastic songs, songs which charted, songs which have been used for advertising, sound tracks etc etc...he influenced several generations of guitarists. I'd also argue he is a damn fine rhythm guitarist.

I think if we judge him against the likes of technically gifted guitarists such as Steve Howe and Carlos Santana then he will come out badly as they are way ahead of him in this respect but they are also limited in that they don't cover as many musical styles as Keith has and fall into their own genre. Keith has only been defined by one genre and that is The Stones and the Stones cover many genres!
Could'nt agree with you more - well said

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 29, 2011 23:28

audun-eg
I don't see why people care. At best these lists are interesting / fun to read, but that's it. How to measure "greatest" when it comes to guitarplayers? It can't be done and who's the greatest comes down to personal taste and preferences.

The only scientifically measurable factor in guitarplaying is speed, and in that case there's guitarists like this:

I wouldn't even put him and his likes on my top 1000 list anyway...

That's a bad example you bring up when it comes to "speed". A refreshing wind blowing:

Posted by: shelter ()
Date: November 30, 2011 00:51

Another surprise : no Gary Moore at all ! His beautiful "Close As You Get" album and his Montreux performances, to mention only recent works, don't let him enter this list. So bad, a few months after his passing...

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: November 30, 2011 08:50

And the guitar world stopped turning after 1970?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 1, 2011 01:12

Gary Moore is always overlooked and it's a real shame!!! He was a great talent, to state the obvious.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 1, 2011 03:22

Robin Trower & Steve Howe are missing from the Top Ten.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 1, 2011 03:28

stonesrule
Everytime RS wants to beef up sales they do this stupid list. Have no idea who the expert panel is or if it even exists.

Hendrix always said "There is no 'best.' He admired Clapton. who was a good friend, and particularly Beck.

While Im glad MT is on the list, its still a BS list from a BS magazine.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home