Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: My interview with Brian Wilson
Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: March 8, 2018 05:34

Re: OT: My interview with Brian Wilson
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 8, 2018 06:26

Great read!
Particularly liked the background on the (excellent) questions you asked.

“You know, I’ve never seen The Rolling Stones, I’ve never been to one of their concerts” was a shocker to me. Not sure why I guess, but it caught me by surprise.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 8, 2018 06:56

roller99
https://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2017/12/brian-wilson-take-3/

Discuss amongst yourselves....smiling bouncing smiley

Congratulations and thanks for sharing! smileys with beer

Date: March 8, 2018 07:57

MisterDDDD
Great read!

“You know, I’ve never seen The Rolling Stones, I’ve never been to one of their concerts” was a shocker to me. Not sure why I guess, but it caught me by surprise.

I guess he forgot about the TAMI-show?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 8, 2018 09:20

Nice article. I sat front row about 5-10 feet from Brian when he toured with Jeff Beck. What an amazing show. I'm glad he's still playing (& breathing!).

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: March 8, 2018 11:53

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Was this a phoner? Or you actually met him?

Was it difficult to get the interview with him?

I have been working for a radio station in China and it's really difficult arrange interviews. I have been dreaming about interviewing Brian who is a true hero of mine. Maybe one day I will have the time and energy that it takes to get an interview with him. That would be magical!

Date: March 8, 2018 15:18

frenki09

I have been working for a radio station in China and it's really difficult arrange interviews. I have been dreaming about interviewing Brian who is a true hero of mine. Maybe one day I will have the time and energy that it takes to get an interview with him. That would be magical!
It was a phone, and it was not difficult, it just took a year and a half to get it because of scheduling. I was invited to meet him, but the drive was too far.

Date: March 8, 2018 15:19

DandelionPowderman
MisterDDDD
Great read!

This has come up before, I don't remember where. I think his ser wasn't the same day, or that he left the building right after he played.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 8, 2018 15:22

DandelionPowderman
MisterDDDD
Great read!

And Birmingham, AL.

[www.al.com]

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 8, 2018 15:28

Nice roller99!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 8, 2018 16:04

Cool Interview, congratulations roller99!

Interesting that he prefers digital to analog. I guess I could understand that from a composition standpoint. It's got to be far more convenient for him to work with.

Regarding the "never seen a Rolling Stones concert" comment...

If I had to guess, assuming he hung around long enough to see the Stones record their segment of the TAMI show, he may not consider the TAMI tv/movie shoot as "having seen a concert".

Then, by the time the Birmingham, AL show was played in 1965, Brian was no longer touring with the Beach Boys. Glen Campbell started in late '64 through early spring of '65 with Bruce Johnston officially joining in May '65. Most likely Brian was in Los Angeles while the Beach Boys and the Stones were in Birmingham.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 8, 2018 16:07

mr_dja

Interesting that he prefers digital to analog. I guess I could understand that from a composition standpoint. It's got to be far more convenient for him to work with.

If I had to guess, assuming he hung around long enough to see the Stones record their segment of the TAMI show, he may not consider the TAMI tv/movie shoot as "having seen a concert".

Then, by the time the Birmingham, AL show was played in 1965, Brian was no longer touring with the Beach Boys. Glen Campbell started in late '64 through early spring of '65 with Bruce Johnston officially joining in May '65. Most likely Brian was in Los Angeles while the Beach Boys and the Stones were in Birmingham.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yes, that is right. Brian would not have been there.

Didn't Brian attend a Stones recording session (maybe with Teri Garr and Toni Basil)? I'm not making this up!!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: TornFrayedSue ()
Date: March 8, 2018 16:14

Congratulations, great read. Thanks for sharing thumbs up

Sue in Spain

My coat is torn and frayed, it's seen much better days, but as long as the guitar plays ....

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 8, 2018 17:27

Nice read. Ironically, I read in this morning's local newspaper (y'all remember those, right?) that the Beach Boys are performing this Sunday at a local community festival. I guess for some acts/performers, the show must go on regardless of the size of the venue/location where they perform. In this same vein, this weekend Gladys Knight will be performing at a local RV (recreational vehicle) park. And the beat goes on....

Date: March 8, 2018 17:39

dmay
Nice read. Ironically, I read in this morning's local newspaper (y'all remember those, right?) that the Beach Boys are performing this Sunday at a local community festival. I guess for some acts/performers, the show must go on regardless of the size of the venue/location where they perform. In this same vein, this weekend Gladys Knight will be performing at a local RV (recreational vehicle) park. And the beat goes on....

That is Mike Love and friends. It doesn't include Brian.

Date: March 8, 2018 17:41

mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

I believe you are correct. He stopped touring pretty early on. Thanks for your comments! Cheers!

Date: March 8, 2018 17:48

roller99
frenki09

It was a phone, and it was not difficult, it just took a year and a half to get it because of scheduling. I was invited to meet him, but the drive was too far.

Oh, well... I would go to see him if I could, and do the interview in person. I mean... It's BRIAN WILSON!!!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 8, 2018 18:36

Great interview, nice work. Obviously a really interesting guy, and a hero of mine and many. His Smile shows he finally did in 2005 was my first concert, at Carnegie Hall no less, and made a very lasting memory for me. Such a unique person, and kinda strange and sad that he basically talks and acts like a 5 year old for the last 20-30 years after so much trouble he had in the first 30 years of his life, but glad to see his spark is still there and he's still with us. He easily shouldn't be and even though he's one of the total nostalgia acts its nice to have him out there in any fashion.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 9, 2018 09:48

crholmstrom
Nice article. I sat front row about 5-10 feet from Brian when he toured with Jeff Beck. What an amazing show. I'm glad he's still playing (& breathing!).

Jeff Beck has nothing nice to say about Brian Wilson...well at least about the fallout of their collaboration. Maybe because he found someone that's even more difficult to deal with than himself :-) More seriously it was pretty appalling the way Beck and the recordings they did together were "discarded" after Brian's attention span faltered. What could have been...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 9, 2018 11:56

gotdablouse
crholmstrom

Jeff Beck has nothing nice to say about Brian Wilson...well at least about the fallout of their collaboration. Maybe because he found someone that's even more difficult to deal with than himself :-) More seriously it was pretty appalling the way Beck and the recordings they did together were "discarded" after Brian's attention span faltered. What could have been...

I didn't know they ended their collaboration on such bad terms. What happened between the two? (I don't think Jeff Beck is a difficult guy to work with. He just leaves quickly when things aren't going well... He just left The Yardbirds in the middle of a tour.)

For me, Beck and Wilson was always a strange combination. But I haven't seen any of their concerts and haven't heard anything, so I don't know how it worked out.

Beck is a very dominant player. That's why he prefers to play in a trio format, I believe.

Date: March 9, 2018 16:49

frenki09
gotdablouse
crholmstrom

I didn't know they ended their collaboration on such bad terms. What happened between the two? (I don't think Jeff Beck is a difficult guy to work with. He just leaves quickly when things aren't going well... He just left The Yardbirds in the middle of a tour.)

For me, Beck and Wilson was always a strange combination. But I haven't seen any of their concerts and haven't heard anything, so I don't know how it worked out.

Beck is a very dominant player. That's why he prefers to play in a trio format, I believe.

Jeff Beck is not at all difficult to work with, that's just one of those urban myths that have been floating around for years. I had him pose for me at a photo shoot and he couldn't have been nicer.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 9, 2018 17:36

roller99
frenki09
gotdablouse
crholmstrom

Jeff Beck is not at all difficult to work with, that's just one of those urban myths that have been floating around for years. I had him pose for me at a photo shoot and he couldn't have been nicer.

I've met Jeff Beck and he was very nice and cordial. Great sense of humor.

I saw the Jeff Beck/Brian Wilson show at the Beacon (4th row, directly in front of Brian) and it was phenomenal. Brian did seem to zone out at various times but covered all his vocals and keyboards quite well. Regarding the unfortunate Jeff/Brian fallout, this article covers it:
[www.nydailynews.com]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 9, 2018 18:01

Cool interview man.

Date: March 10, 2018 07:11

Nice! And thanks for the link. I wonder what was Jeff expecting. Brian seems a bit detached from whatever is happening on stage, which is not so obvious, because he is playing with such great musicians. His mind is elsewhere at times...

Jeff should have known that it wouldn't be an intense work with Brian, and he would be treated as a hired hand

Guys! You are really lucky that you've met Beck. I haven't even had the chance to see him perform although he is a hero of mine, along with Wilson.

Do you just bump into these people or you actually seek them out?

Date: March 11, 2018 20:10

frenki09
Nice! And thanks for the link. I wonder what was Jeff expecting. Brian seems a bit detached from whatever is happening on stage, which is not so obvious, because he is playing with such great musicians. His mind is elsewhere at times...

Jeff should have known that it wouldn't be an intense work with Brian, and he would be treated as a hired hand

Guys! You are really lucky that you've met Beck. I haven't even had the chance to see him perform although he is a hero of mine, along with Wilson.

Do you just bump into these people or you actually seek them out?

I don't just bump into them. Some of these are fed to me by publicists, some I seek out. I write for The Los Angeles Beat, Goldmine, and a few other publications.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 11, 2018 23:45

Hadn't seen that comment by Beck, not a very nice thing to say indeed, possibly taken out of context...What I do remember, and I don't know if it was before or after this, is that Beck said he'd walked up to Wilson at a Café in LA after they'd worked together and Wilson just ignored hum. Also Brian's team had been asked (by Rolling Stone Mag ?) what happened to the joint Wilson/Beck album and they'd replied that the work wasn't up to Brian's standards...ah here are more details [ultimateclassicrock.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 12, 2018 10:58

Flawless piece.. Congratulations from a fellow journalist... I enjoyed it a lot.. You avoid the rigid Q/A format by interlacing it with plain text.. Like also this uncertainty you convey beautifully.

'When I asked if it was supposed to be a tribute to someone or something in particular, he advised that he “didn’t write the lyrics to that song, Andy Paley wrote them, so I can’t really answer about the lyrics”. As to the remainder of unreleased songs, Brian stated, “I think there are still about 35 of them.” As to when we will hear them, “I’m not sure when, but you will hear them.”

Date: March 12, 2018 14:06

The Joker
Flawless piece.. Congratulations from a fellow journalist... I enjoyed it a lot.. You avoid the rigid Q/A format by interlacing it with plain text.. Like also this uncertainty you convey beautifully.

'When I asked if it was supposed to be a tribute to someone or something in particular, he advised that he “didn’t write the lyrics to that song, Andy Paley wrote them, so I can’t really answer about the lyrics”. As to the remainder of unreleased songs, Brian stated, “I think there are still about 35 of them.” As to when we will hear them, “I’m not sure when, but you will hear them.”
Thanks Joker! That was exactly the format I was trying for, appreciate your comments.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1929
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home