Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Wishbone Ash live 2018 - Worth the while?
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: January 24, 2018 18:50

Wishbone Ash is coming to my town. We really partied a lot to their music back in the early seventies. However, I've never ever seen them live.

I see that there is only Andy Powell left from the original line-up, while the other positions in the band have been changed and replaced many times through the decades.

Anyone's seen them recently and wants to share his impressions.

Cheers

dead.flowers

Re: OT: Wishbone Ash live 2018 - Worth the while?
Date: January 24, 2018 19:04

Date: January 24, 2018 19:06

Something for the baby-boomers on this board.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 24, 2018 19:17

I too would be curious about this. Argus is one hell of a record. The reason I've passed in the past is cause there's not a ton else I know by them and also that that original lineup is long gone that seemed so crucial. Hasn't been them since the early 90s. Would be cool to see Andy, but yeah I've never wanted to pull the trigger cause I'm not sure how it would just sound with him.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 24, 2018 19:44

I've never really listened to them, although I know that their dual guitar harmonies had a HUGE impact on Iron Maiden's Steve Harris, and it became a cornerstone of their sound.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 24, 2018 19:53

keefriff99
I've never really listened to them, although I know that their dual guitar harmonies had a HUGE impact on Iron Maiden's Steve Harris, and it became a cornerstone of their sound.

If you had the time I'd recommend Argus. Sure, its kind of your run of the mill generic 70s rock style sound, but they were kind of doing it before many others so while it sounds not that special now if you listen to it in a historical context its rather impressive. And also just cause, while maybe generic, I do think its good music. Just not really enough to make me a hardcore Wishbone fan and seek out their other stuff. I feel like if you've heard one or two albums by them you kind of get the point.

Date: January 25, 2018 12:10

"Argus is one hell of a record."

[www.youtube.com]

ARGUS (1972)

Side one

1. "Time Was" T. Turner, M. Turner 9:42
2. "Sometime World" M. Turner, Andy Powell 6:55
3. "Blowin' Free" M. Turner, Powell, T. Turner 5:18

Side two

1. "The King Will Come" M. Turner, Powell 7:06
2. "Leaf and Stream" M. Turner 3:55
3. "Warrior" M. Turner, Powell 5:53
4. "Throw Down the Sword" M. Turner, Powell 5:55

Date: January 25, 2018 12:34

RollingFreak
I too would be curious about this. Argus is one hell of a record. The reason I've passed in the past is cause there's not a ton else I know by them and also that that original lineup is long gone that seemed so crucial. Hasn't been them since the early 90s. Would be cool to see Andy, but yeah I've never wanted to pull the trigger cause I'm not sure how it would just sound with him.

You can listen to Andy Powell's incarnation of Wishbone Ash on Spotify (His live version of Argus: "Then Again" Live).

Posted by: breadfan ()
Date: January 25, 2018 12:45

Definately worth going to see live, seen them on their last 2 tours in UK. The set list includes the main tracks from Argus. The current line up has been going for a number of years now. If they hit my home town i will be going again.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 25, 2018 14:02

Just booked tickets for Andy Powell's Wishbone Ash - front row - at my local theatre in Harpenden, England.

But also noticed that Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash are playing down the road at the Bull in Barnet and are playing their second best album after Argus, There's The Rub, in its entirety.

Posted by: breadfan ()
Date: January 25, 2018 14:59

IMO if you needed to choose, go with Andy Powell.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: January 25, 2018 16:27

I've been a Wishbone fan since the 70's and seen them in every lineup incarnation multiple times including just last September. Andy and Ted co-exist in separate bands now and some of the fans are in one or the other's camp. However Andy Powell owns the name and has has released many excellent WBA LPs over the years whereas Ted simply relives the older "warhorses".

I am first and foremost a Stones fan, but truly love the sound that WBA brings - crossing British folk/harmonies with blues and Jazz and amazing twin guitar interplay. The Powell Wishbone Ash lineup is must see/hear. You will not be disappointed, even if you don't know all the tunes. They will play plenty of the warhorses mixed with just as good new material.

HBK

Date: January 25, 2018 19:33

Thank you very much dear all for he kind feedback and considerations.

I guess I'll go and see them.

dead.flowers

Date: March 3, 2018 17:59

I'll be back on Fabrik Hamburg in a while ...

d.f

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1635
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home