Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ABKCO announce : ABKCO's Entire Rolling Stones Remastered Series Now Available On HDtracks.com
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 27, 2011 16:44

ABKCO's Entire Rolling Stones Remastered Series Now Available On HDtracks.com
Posted on Nov 9th, 2011

HDtracks.com Presents The Rolling Stones Hear and Win Sweepstakes

New York, New York - October 27, 2011 - HDtracks.com®, ABKCO Records® , Fender Musical Instruments®, Guitar Player Magazine®, along with Logitech®, IK Multimedia® and Alfred Music Publishing® today launched the Hear & Win Sweepstakes in celebration of the release of The Rolling Stones Remastered Series, high resolution digital downloads of original, classic Rolling Stones recordings available only on HDtracks.com from ABKCO Records

Fender Musical Instruments has created two amazing prizes to commemorate the release of these treasured Rolling Stones albums in stunning master-quality, high resolution formats. These include a custom-made Fender Telecaster® featuring The Rolling Stones Let It Bleed album artwork on the front and back of the guitar, along with a Gretsch® drum set that features the album artwork from The Rolling Stones Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! on the front bass drum head.

These are one-of-a-kind instruments and make up a total prize package that includes:
• Custom-designed Let it Bleed Fender Telecaster from Fender Musical Instruments
• Gretsch four-piece drum kit with custom-designed bass drum Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! artwork
• The AmpliTube 3 Pedal with Guitar & Bass Amp and FX modeling software + USB Wah Style Audio Interface and Controller
• Logitech Squeezebox which supports high resolution audio formats such as FLAC, WAV, AIFF, along with MP3, WMA, WMA Lossless, AAC, and Apple Lossless.
• Complete Collection of Rolling Stones songbooks from Alfred Music Publishing[...]

More here : [www.abkco.com]

Link to Hear and Win Giveaway : [www.hdtracks.com]

Note that you can apply until January 31, 2012 but it's only open to US residents.

"Let It Bleed" Fender guitar :

Gretsch drum set :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-27 16:52 by kowalski.

Re: ABKCO announce : ABKCO's Entire Rolling Stones Remastered Series Now Available On HDtracks.com
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 27, 2011 18:13

Some help on this...maybe a really stupid question:

How does HD differ from a standard CD format? Does it have a higher bit rate and thereby more digital info captured?

Re: ABKCO announce : ABKCO's Entire Rolling Stones Remastered Series Now Available On HDtracks.com
Date: November 27, 2011 18:36

CD format : 16 bits / 44100 Hertz
HD files : 24 bits / 88100 Hz (or even 176400 Hz)

This means you get more information. Practically you will hear more details and mmusic will have more depth (bass guitar sound is really improved for example)

HD files at 176.4 kHz are like original master recordings.
CD is a downsampled version of master recordings.

Date: November 27, 2011 18:50

buffalo7478
Some help on this...maybe a really stupid question:

How does HD differ from a standard CD format? Does it have a higher bit rate and thereby more digital info captured?

Yes. You are correct. Music CD's have 16 bit / 44.1 kHz digital audio which is a substantial downgrade from the studio masters.

HD Tracks offers 24 bit / 88.2 kHz digital audio which is a more faithful representation of the studio masters. They also offer 24 bit / 176.4 kHz digital audio tracks in some cases.

Before anyone makes an ignorant comment,it has been SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN that humans can perceive a difference up to approximately 22 bits / 96 kHZ audio under certain conditions depending on numerous variable factors. To be honest,I'm guessing from my recollection of the study on the exact # of kHz but,I am certain on the # of bits.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 27, 2011 18:52

Winning Ugly VXII
Before anyone makes an ignorant comment

My shoes hurt

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: November 27, 2011 19:01

Winning Ugly VXII
Music CD's have 16 bit / 44.1 kHz digital audio which is a substantial downgrade from the studio masters.

HD Tracks offers 24 bit / 88.2 kHz digital audio which is a more faithful representation of the studio masters.

I wouldn't use the term downgrade as studio masters are analog and of course digital is just a representation of the analog anyway. Depending on the sound you are capturing, 16/44.1 can be as perfect a representation as 24/88.2 (for example for a pure, low frequency sine wave). The odds however are that 24/88.2 will be a better representation.

Probably going with today's trend of loudness and brickwalled CDs, only 2 bits will be needed in the future smiling smiley - translating either into silence or very loud sound.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: November 27, 2011 19:06

On HD's ABKCO page their is the following quote:

"Our 176.4kHz/24-bit FLAC files are virtual clones of the original master recordings, delivering the experience of sitting in the control room of the recording studio."

If this is true, does that mean we would never had to get anything else from that part of the Stones catalog again? If it's a clone I would think we have the Master Tapes ourselves?

[www.hdtracks.com]

Date: November 27, 2011 19:09

NoCode0680
Winning Ugly VXII
Before anyone makes an ignorant comment

My shoes hurt

What?? [dictionary.reference.com]

Date: November 27, 2011 19:14

gwen
Winning Ugly VXII
Music CD's have 16 bit / 44.1 kHz digital audio which is a substantial downgrade from the studio masters.

HD Tracks offers 24 bit / 88.2 kHz digital audio which is a more faithful representation of the studio masters.

I wouldn't use the term downgrade as studio masters are analog and of course digital is just a representation of the analog anyway. Depending on the sound you are capturing, 16/44.1 can be as perfect a representation as 24/88.2 (for example for a pure, low frequency sine wave). The odds however are that 24/88.2 will be a better representation.

Probably going with today's trend of loudness and brickwalled CDs, only 2 bits will be needed in the future smiling smiley - translating either into silence or very loud sound.

As far as I'm aware,in the case of analog studio masters,they take the analog master and make a digital master from it above 16 bits / 44.1 kHz . Also,(unfortunately) it is my understanding that most modern albums were / are now recorded digitally.

Date: November 27, 2011 19:15

nick

"Our 176.4kHz/24-bit FLAC files are virtual clones of the original master recordings, delivering the experience of sitting in the control room of the recording studio."

If this is true, does that mean we would never had to get anything else from that part of the Stones catalog again? If it's a clone I would think we have the Master Tapes ourselves?

[www.hdtracks.com]

They were probably using the same add to market their 80s CDs...

One could argue that even with the master tapes there's no way you can experience how they felt in the control room... without being in that same room, with the same equipment and monitors, the same tape player with its slightly inacurrate and uneven speed... and the tape as they were at that time... These things (tape and equipment) do age, and do not sound the same anymore.

Date: November 27, 2011 19:19

nick

[www.hdtracks.com]

There's a possibility of that with a digitally recorded album. It's more difficult to make such a statement when an ANALOG master recording is involved. What they offer is,however,as good as it's going to get for digital audio along with SA-CD's.

Date: November 27, 2011 19:22

Winning Ugly VXII
As far as I'm aware,in the case of analog studio masters,they take the analog master and make a digital master from it above 16 bits / 44.1 kHz .

If you meant the digital masters (but I wouldn't call them studio masters, they are tranfers of the original studio masters), then yes, the CD format is downgraded.

Downgrading digital audio is quite a difficult task: it is sometimes better to resample from analog rather than downgrading form a higher resolution. Apogee is famous for its UV22 downsampling and dithering algorithm which avoids downgrading issues.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: November 27, 2011 19:31

Does anyone think these will be available in a physical media form or is that possible with the 176.4kHz/24-bit FLAC files?

Date: November 27, 2011 20:05

It's not likely but,it is possible.

They could release them on a USB flash drive. Remember when the " A Bigger Bang " album was released on a Stones tongue shaped USB flash drive?? In that case,the USB drive contained lossy MP3 files however,it did not have to be that way. A 1 GB USB drive could have held the whole album in CD quality with room to spare. A larger capacity USB flash drive could hold these high resolution files from HD Tracks.

Another option would be to release a Blu-ray Audio disc as Tom Petty and a few other artists have done. Blu-ray Audio discs don't contain FLAC files but,they do contain high res. lossless audio just the same.

In any instance,when dealing with digital audio (especially) above CD quality,you need to have the appropriate equipment.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: November 27, 2011 21:13

Thanks Winning Ugly.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: November 27, 2011 22:46

Blu-ray of these would be pretty cool

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 27, 2011 23:53

kowalski
Note that you can apply until January 31, 2012 but it's only open to US residents.

Between the new Brussels Affair'73 not available in FLAC in the US,and these HD tracks contest not open for the non-US, sometimes I'm wonderin' who are these guys who works in the Business World, could you one day you All in the Business Ship, make somethin' for everyone Worldwide !!!!!!!angry smiley

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-27 23:53 by Honestman.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 28, 2011 09:16

donvis
Does anyone think these will be available in a physical media form or is that possible with the 176.4kHz/24-bit FLAC files?
As Beatles wowed us providing 24bit/44.1kHz FLAC files in USB, we'll see how the wind blows.

Taking Queen for example,
here is complete studio albums with USB media which contains 24bit/48KHz WAV files and MP3 files.

They also have 24bit/96kHz FLAC files for download.
Queen albums have been released on SACD(1bit/2822.4KHz) as well.
All of them are remastered by Bob Ludwig.

The choice is ours?winking smiley

Date: November 28, 2011 11:01

Toru A
They also have 24bit/96kHz FLAC files for download.
Queen albums have been released on SACD(1bit/2822.4KHz) as well.
All of them are remastered by Bob Ludwig.

Actually pretty much all Stones albums were remastered by Bob Ludwig. He did the 1994 Virgin remasters (1971-1991) and the 2002 ABKCO remasters.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: November 29, 2011 00:17

Winning Ugly VXII
Before anyone makes an ignorant comment,it has been SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN that humans can perceive a difference up to approximately 22 bits / 96 kHZ audio under certain conditions depending on numerous variable factors. To be honest,I'm guessing from my recollection of the study on the exact # of kHz but,I am certain on the # of bits.
Do you have a link to this scientific paper? I highly doubt that 22 bits will give you anything useful when you're just digitizing analog recordings (or in general).

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 29, 2011 00:37

Honestman
kowalski

Between the new Brussels Affair'73 not available in FLAC in the US,and these HD tracks contest not open for the non-US, sometimes I'm wonderin' who are these guys who works in the Business World, could you one day you All in the Business Ship, make somethin' for everyone Worldwide !!!!!!!angry smiley

Have you not heard that we now live in a global economy? The new order of all things global sure is working well these days isn't it?

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: November 29, 2011 01:35

I want the USB

Date: November 29, 2011 06:58

FreeBird
Winning Ugly VXII
Do you have a link to this scientific paper? I highly doubt that 22 bits will give you anything useful when you're just digitizing analog recordings (or in general).

Well,I read about that years ago. I don't have a link or even remember where I read it but I do remember what the conclusion was. I made a mental note that 20 bit HDCD's were close to optimum but not quite. Wikipedia says 21 bits audio "matches the performance of the human ear" :

y increasing the sampling bit depth, quantization noise is reduced so that the S/N is improved. The 'rule-of-thumb' relationship between bit depth and S/N is, for each 1-bit increase in bit depth, the S/N will increase by 6 dB.[1][2] 24-bit digital audio has a theoretical maximum S/N of 144 dB, compared to 96 dB for 16-bit; however, as of 2007 digital audio converter technology is limited to a S/N of about 124 dB (21-bit)[3] because of real world limitations in integrated circuit design. Still, this approximately matches the performance of the human ear.[4][5] [en.wikipedia.org] -

Date: November 29, 2011 12:22

Do you know of any recording with an SNR of 124 dB? I don't. Certainly the ABKCO recordings needn't apply.

Date: December 1, 2011 07:45

FreeBird
Do you know of any recording with an SNR of 124 dB? I don't. Certainly the ABKCO recordings needn't apply.

All 24 bit digital recordings have a S.N.R. of 144 dB but you will get a S.N.R. of 124 dB when playing 24 bit digital audio through your equipment with a 24 bit digital to analog converter chip because of "real world limitations in integrated circuit design". This is still well above CD quality audio. I have never heard of any commercial digital recording mastered @ 16 bits with a S.N.R. of 96 dB. As far as I know,most (if not all) digital studio masters are degraded for CD release. Now,in some cases,there is a better option.

As far as the Abkco '60's material goes,the studio masters are obviously analog - not digital. I believe that the 24 bit versions offer a better representation of the analog master tapes than the 16 bit versions do. I don't believe that I'm alone either. There are plenty of people with the 2002 hybrid CD / SA-CD discs who have posted that the SA-CD layer sounds better than the CD layer. SA-CD's use DSD instead of PCM but,the 24 bit PCM versions (HD Tracks) are sure to sound much more like SA-CD than the 16 bit PCM CD quality versions.

Date: December 1, 2011 12:52

Winning Ugly VXII
All 24 bit digital recordings have a S.N.R. of 144 dB but you will get a S.N.R. of 124 dB when playing 24 bit digital audio through your equipment with a 24 bit digital to analog converter chip because of "real world limitations in integrated circuit design".
These real world issues don't just apply to playback. They're there in the studio as well. I honestly don't believe that you're ever going to get 124 dB in any kind of realistic setting. Yes, it may be possible in a research laboratory, but not with real musicians.
Winning Ugly VXII
This is still well above CD quality audio. I have never heard of any commercial digital recording mastered @ 16 bits with a S.N.R. of 96 dB. As far as I know,most (if not all) digital studio masters are degraded for CD release. Now,in some cases,there is a better option.
Wait, are you saying that achieving 144 dB @ 24 bits is possible, but 96 dB @ 16 bits is not? Or is it something else you're trying to say?
Winning Ugly VXII
As far as the Abkco '60's material goes,the studio masters are obviously analog - not digital. I believe that the 24 bit versions offer a better representation of the analog master tapes than the 16 bit versions do. I don't believe that I'm alone either. There are plenty of people with the 2002 hybrid CD / SA-CD discs who have posted that the SA-CD layer sounds better than the CD layer. SA-CD's use DSD instead of PCM but,the 24 bit PCM versions (HD Tracks) are sure to sound much more like SA-CD than the 16 bit PCM CD quality versions.
Maybe, maybe not. However, it's clear that none of these recordings have an SNR of more than 96 dB, so that can't be the reason the CD layer sounds worse - if it sounds worse at all.

Date: December 1, 2011 16:11

A) Even if you get 124 dB instead of 144 db SNR on the digital studio masters,by playing 24 bit audio from those masters through your appropriate equipment you would still achieve a better SNR and better sound than you would by playing a CD quality downgrade of those studio masters.

cool smiley Quote "Wait, are you saying that achieving 144 dB @ 24 bits is possible, but 96 dB @ 16 bits is not? Or is it something else you're trying to say?" End Quote

No,I'm not saying that. I mean that most,if not all commercial music albums which were recorded digitally are mastered above CD quality and then,to be released on CD,are downgraded to match the CD digital audio specification. I have not heard of any album which was mastered digitally at CD quality.

C) There must be some reason,then,that the standard CD versions sound worse. Talking inaudible differences,the difference between SA-CD (DSD) and 24 bit PCM is probably the least likely difference in sound to be detected by humans under any set of conditions.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 1, 2011 16:13

This release is tempting.

Bought only some titles of the latest SACD remasters because I didn't have a SACD player, and wasn't sure I wanted to buy one.

Now, assuming I did buy these HD files, what would be the most efficient way of playing them without losing too much quality? (If you already have covered this somewhere else, give me the link!)

Are there any options to PC > quality sound card > amp's analog input?

I once read that there were hard drives / players that could do the job?

C

Date: December 1, 2011 16:30

You have to have the right equipment. It's covered in this thread [www.iorr.org] (Check my posts in the thread.) As far as a P.C. goes,if it can output the high res audio AND your a/v receiver (amp) or hi-fi sound processor can accept that output into one of it's inputs and handle 24 bit audio appropriately,that would work also,even though it's not likely to be the most convenient option. (Wires would have to be run from your computer to your hi-fi equipment in that case.) Check the specifications of your equipment to find out the answer.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 1, 2011 17:28

I was also considering a Linn streamer.

Any feed back?

C

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1443
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home