Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Some Girls Selling Poorly
Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: November 28, 2011 11:11

I am surprised by the first sales reports, but honestly the outtakes are not so great.
I found it a little disappointing.
By the way, I was in Valencia-Spain for business last week ; I went at the local FNaC on wednesday and i got some girls, but they didn't have live in texas yet.
I could buy it only on saturday, before flying back.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 28, 2011 11:28

Even it is true that they haven't promoted SOME GIRLS in any way similar to EXILE, I think the difference in UK chartings is actually incredibly big. Could it be more like EXILE being a rare expection to a rule and SOME GIRLS more better indication of the real popularity of their back catalog? With EXILE, everything clicked perfectly - the timing, the interest, the story and myth around the record... It gathered something Beatle-like mythical interest.

Even though SOME GIRLS is probably the most importnat record in their career since BEGGARS BANQUET, it is probably too flavor of the moth type of thing. Even though it being such a monster album in its day, the reality is that the year 1978 and its musical trends do not actually ring very well with the name of The Stones. The band, afer all, is the 60's and early 70's band when they had a say to the development or rock music genre. Yeah, the album bought them a future, and gave them the needed relevance again, but it does not contain a certain aura typical to their best things in their actual hey-day. The idea of The Stones responding to disco and punk, and not actually trusting and following their own muse that defined them some years earlier, is not so "sexy" concept anymore. Even though SOME GIRLS is among their best works ever, and one of my personal favourites, I think the test of time hasn't been so nice to it.

To me it starts to look like that SOME GIRLS is the first indication of the nature of the albums that would follow it: they will sell incredibly well, expecially packed with a tour - the content being enoughly safe and sure, but still enough flirting with the trends of the day - but soon to be forgotten. Yeah, we Stones fans love to think SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU as masterpieces, but that seems to be the case since all the other albums since them been so mediocre. I mean, the more we have VOODOO LOUNGE, A BIGGER BANG kind of albums, the more we appreciate SOME GIRLS and TATTOO yOU, even EMOTIONAL RESCUE and BLACK&BLUE that at the day of their realese were seen quite low-quality products in the criteria of the day.

Yeah, "Miss You" is a great song but to really excite people today, it is not any "Satisfaction" or "Honky Tonk Women" or "Brown Sugar". I don't think it will drive people to buy Deluxe ediion of SOME GIRLS now. The Stones didn't dominate the zeitgeist any longer in 1978, but tried to cope with it. Somehow that seems to be reflected in the interest seen now. There can be no better product than TEXAS 1978 DVD to sell the band of the era, but that doesn't seem, unfortunately, to be enough.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-28 11:32 by Doxa.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: November 28, 2011 11:47

the outtakes are good, not overproduced and easy listening. Though I have all Stones "Extras" I would not pay for it anymore. I've spent a lot on the Stones the last 40 years. They do very well with their earnings. They can feed their children, grandchildren, grandgrandchildren etc.

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: November 28, 2011 15:31

Exile went on sale in May with not much competition, while Some Girls now hits the Christmas market with every major artist releasing best ofs, deluxe editions etc.

Pete.

Date: November 28, 2011 16:08

I've been listening to it a lot, disc 2. I didn't need or want Some Girls again. Alas, they sold another copy of the album.

I've hyped it to people I know but just as with the Exile Rarities, zero response. I have no idea if anyone I know has interest in it. They've had plenty of hype on the web. Perhaps not being on TV has hurt it. If going on TV makes the difference in under a million copies sold they probably figured sod it, it's just not worth it.

This one will take some time.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 28, 2011 16:44

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
treaclefingers
The idea that a poor selling some girls would have any relation to a 50th tour is ridonkulous.

Wow. Their FIFTIETH tour! Didn't know they had even done 49!

wot a @#$%& nerd

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 28, 2011 16:46

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
I've been listening to it a lot, disc 2. I didn't need or want Some Girls again. Alas, they sold another copy of the album.

I've hyped it to people I know but just as with the Exile Rarities, zero response. I have no idea if anyone I know has interest in it. They've had plenty of hype on the web. Perhaps not being on TV has hurt it. If going on TV makes the difference in under a million copies sold they probably figured sod it, it's just not worth it.

We're certainly waiting with baited breath...do let us know what you decide.

Date: November 28, 2011 17:13

treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
treaclefingers
The idea that a poor selling some girls would have any relation to a 50th tour is ridonkulous.

Wow. Their FIFTIETH tour! Didn't know they had even done 49!

wot a @#$%& nerd

Harnt!

Date: November 28, 2011 17:15

treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

We're certainly waiting with baited breath...do let us know what you decide.

When I've made up my mind regarding how well this reissue of Some Girls has sold I'll let YOU know since you're the only one that misinterpreted that.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 28, 2011 17:49

Doxa
Yeah, the album bought them a future, and gave them the needed relevance again, but it does not contain a certain aura typical to their best things in their actual hey-day. The idea of The Stones responding to disco and punk, and not actually trusting and following their own muse that defined them some years earlier, is not so "sexy" concept anymore. Even though SOME GIRLS is among their best works ever, and one of my personal favourites, I think the test of time hasn't been so nice to it.

There can be no better product than TEXAS 1978 DVD to sell the band of the era, but that doesn't seem, unfortunately, to be enough.

- Doxa

I think you're spot on, Doxa. SOME GIRLS does lack that Stones special aura from the 60s to early 70s period, although the album does stand up well on its own terms and achieves a level of freshness and consistency lacking in most of the Stones other albums from that period, and what was to follow. It was just that by 78 the Stones were followers and no longer leaders of the pack. Many of the extra tracks for me are more successful too than those on the EXILE ON MAIN STREET reissue, aside from 'Plundered My Soul', which perhaps stands as their very best. SOME GIRLS, in my opinion, and as i have inferred previously, hasn't especially aged well, and quite a number of its songs are very much of their time, but somehow fail to transcend time, in the way that the EXILE ON MAIN STREET tracks have. That TEXAS 78 DVD, however, is truly tremendous, and shows the Stones at an almighty live peak. While watching, i could almost appreciate Keith's enthusiam for the arrival of Ronnie, and the fact that he was no longer just tied to that rhythm guitar role. I think he and Ronnie sound truly electric, they seem so cutting, although i still think ultimately the Taylor-Richards partnership gave the Stones infinitely more possibilities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-28 17:59 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 28, 2011 18:06

James Kirk

Remember Jagger and Richards both showing up on the Jimmy Fallon show and Fallon having Stones week?

I was hoping that Fallon would have a SOME GIRLS week since it's my favorite album (and I'm not that crazy about EXILE). Hopefully the "lower profile" is because the Stones are focussing on new material.

Date: November 28, 2011 18:24

Title5Take1
James Kirk

Remember Jagger and Richards both showing up on the Jimmy Fallon show and Fallon having Stones week?

I was hoping that Fallon would have a SOME GIRLS week since it's my favorite album (and I'm not that crazy about EXILE). Hopefully the "lower profile" is because the Stones are focussing on new material.

New material being the Sticky Fingers leftovers or maybe the Emotional Rescue, Black And Blue, It's Only Rock'N'Roll or Goats Head Soup leftovers.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: November 28, 2011 20:59

Title5Take1
James Kirk

Having Fallon hype Exile was huge. Should of done the same with Some Girls.

Date: November 28, 2011 21:04

They should of given SG to Jay Leno, and invite Keith! He would of came.

Hope the Stones didn't think Some Girls would be as easy as Exile...

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 28, 2011 21:27

Kinda like dating ones ex wife after she gets liposuction. What's the flipping point?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 28, 2011 23:52

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

New material being the Sticky Fingers leftovers or maybe the Emotional Rescue, Black And Blue, It's Only Rock'N'Roll or Goats Head Soup leftovers.

Actually, the Stones are taking the Beatles' 2003 release LET IT BE...NAKED and replacing the deleted Phil Spector bits with their own, new, Stones overdubs. It will be titled LET IT BE...SHATTERED. (By the Rolling Fabs.)

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 29, 2011 00:30

Edward Twining
Doxa
Yeah, the album bought them a future, and gave them the needed relevance again, but it does not contain a certain aura typical to their best things in their actual hey-day. The idea of The Stones responding to disco and punk, and not actually trusting and following their own muse that defined them some years earlier, is not so "sexy" concept anymore. Even though SOME GIRLS is among their best works ever, and one of my personal favourites, I think the test of time hasn't been so nice to it.

There can be no better product than TEXAS 1978 DVD to sell the band of the era, but that doesn't seem, unfortunately, to be enough.

- Doxa

I think you're spot on, Doxa. SOME GIRLS does lack that Stones special aura from the 60s to early 70s period, although the album does stand up well on its own terms and achieves a level of freshness and consistency lacking in most of the Stones other albums from that period, and what was to follow. It was just that by 78 the Stones were followers and no longer leaders of the pack. Many of the extra tracks for me are more successful too than those on the EXILE ON MAIN STREET reissue, aside from 'Plundered My Soul', which perhaps stands as their very best. SOME GIRLS, in my opinion, and as i have inferred previously, hasn't especially aged well, and quite a number of its songs are very much of their time, but somehow fail to transcend time, in the way that the EXILE ON MAIN STREET tracks have. That TEXAS 78 DVD, however, is truly tremendous, and shows the Stones at an almighty live peak. While watching, i could almost appreciate Keith's enthusiam for the arrival of Ronnie, and the fact that he was no longer just tied to that rhythm guitar role. I think he and Ronnie sound truly electric, they seem so cutting, although i still think ultimately the Taylor-Richards partnership gave the Stones infinitely more possibilities.

Oh man....I have dissagree with you two on this one and I rarely disagree. I do agree that it lacked the massive, epic mythology of Exile,
but in the summer of 1978 - Some Girls, with MIss You leading the charge, was it.

I wasn't even a Stones fas then, but I felt its cultural impact when my visiting cooler-than-me cousins came from San ANtonio and freaked out when this song came on the car radio and they knew every word. Its resonance was far more street than Beggars or Let It Bleed. Those albums were part of a greater musical landscape...thing and those albums were also distinctly British.
Some Girls redefined what rock bands could be. and redefined the Stones place as a rock and roll force. Their forays into disco, funk, r&b or whatever you want to call it was like home to them. While their peers were churning out extensions of thier glory years - Kinks, Who etc - or worse, tyring their own facile versions of "disco" or "punk", the Stones owned it, and showed everyone how to remain relevant and edgy 15 years after Satisfaction, or for that matter, My Generation. It might have been the last great gasp, but it was huge.
It was a place and time: the catch phrases that everybody knew - the ooh ooh of Miss You,'shuffling to the street...asking people....what's the matta wit chu boy', the puerto rican girls dying to meet youuuu, rats on the west side, bed bugs up town, fag in LA...Shattered....
A few years ago, I was leaving NYC, at La Guardia and going through security check. Wearing the SOme Girls t-shirt I had just bought at the Virgin store, a cop or security guard, pointed at my shirt and yelled out, "Hey I remember when that album came out - it was a great time here in New York and a great album!"
Some Girls was the shit in 1978-79. It was New York, it was souful, it was raucous, it was heartbreaking, it was pissed-off, it was slow and fast, it was in-love and out-of-time...... it was tangibly current and existentially then.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-29 00:38 by stupidguy2.

Date: November 29, 2011 00:39

Title5Take1
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Actually, the Stones are taking the Beatles' 2003 release LET IT BE...NAKED and replacing the deleted Phil Spector bits with their own, new, Stones overdubs. It will be titled LET IT BE...SHATTERED. (By the Rolling Fabs.)

That would actually be cool.

Date: November 29, 2011 00:57

The push for Exile was huge, but I think that was a special thing. It deserved that kind of mammoth, their-greatest-moment attention. Jagger seemed to pull out the big guns, with the video, the dvd and it was a rare moment of nostalgia for him...but I doubt he'll do that again. It must have been exhaustive.
But I think that was a singular event and should remain so. Exile is something apart and exalted. It received the love and praise and epic-proportion press it finally deserved. For me, that whole summer last year was a true gift.
SG is epic in the Stones catalogue: the last #1 single, the last great Stones album etc....
But it was also a more fractious, and fractured moment for the Stones: Keith's legal issues and Anita's deterioration, Mick's personal issues - it wasn't as rosy, halcyonic as Nellcote. In fact, I see Exile and SG as book-ends to each other.
Seems like Im contradicting my previous post about how great SG was. Im not, but Exile is just......more special.

Date: November 29, 2011 01:11

stupidguy2
Edward Twining
Doxa

- Doxa

Oh man....I have dissagree with you two on this one and I rarely disagree. I do agree that it lacked the massive, epic mythology of Exile,
but in the summer of 1978 - Some Girls, with MIss You leading the charge, was it.

I wasn't even a Stones fas then, but I felt its cultural impact when my visiting cooler-than-me cousins came from San ANtonio and freaked out when this song came on the car radio and they knew every word. Its resonance was far more street than Beggars or Let It Bleed. Those albums were part of a greater musical landscape...thing and those albums were also distinctly British.
Some Girls redefined what rock bands could be. and redefined the Stones place as a rock and roll force. Their forays into disco, funk, r&b or whatever you want to call it was like home to them. While their peers were churning out extensions of thier glory years - Kinks, Who etc - or worse, tyring their own facile versions of "disco" or "punk", the Stones owned it, and showed everyone how to remain relevant and edgy 15 years after Satisfaction, or for that matter, My Generation. It might have been the last great gasp, but it was huge.
It was a place and time: the catch phrases that everybody knew - the ooh ooh of Miss You,'shuffling to the street...asking people....what's the matta wit chu boy', the puerto rican girls dying to meet youuuu, rats on the west side, bed bugs up town, fag in LA...Shattered....
A few years ago, I was leaving NYC, at La Guardia and going through security check. Wearing the SOme Girls t-shirt I had just bought at the Virgin store, a cop or security guard, pointed at my shirt and yelled out, "Hey I remember when that album came out - it was a great time here in New York and a great album!"
Some Girls was the shit in 1978-79. It was New York, it was souful, it was raucous, it was heartbreaking, it was pissed-off, it was slow and fast, it was in-love and out-of-time...... it was tangibly current and existentially then.

Agree 100% with stupidguy. I was in NYC for that Summer of Some Girls and Stones; because that is exactly what it was. I think that is one of the reasons this album is so well liked: because, yes it did LOOK like the Stones had turned into followers by now; but they came out with that freakin album, and proved everybody wrong one more time.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: November 29, 2011 01:24

1) The process used to track music sales is as archaic as the one used to track TV viewership; the numbers are meaningless. Bands and record companies are aware of this. They will be taking an aggregate of CD sales, legal downloads and illegal downloads to discern interest in a product.
2) What have the actual sales numbers been? Chart position is highly subjective. In 2006 Barry Manilow charted a number 1 album in the U.S. with a measly 147,000 copies sold. It was February, the download craze had begun, 147,000 copies was a weak total, but it still went #1. Exile came out in the summer of 2010, Some Girls came out at the beginning of the holiday season in 2011. Even though sales numbers are completely meaningless and anyone who takes them seriously is a dinosaur, I would be interested in seeing the number of copies SG sold last week. From what I'm seeing, SG is being downloaded illegally at an impressive rate, as is the Live DVD. The interest is still there, which is all that matters. The Stones will make their money when/if they tour.
3) Anyone trying to hint that Exile is a better album than Some Girls because of the difference in "sales" between the two remasters is a bit dim and hypocritical. The original Some Girls outsold the original Exile by a fair amount, did that fact make Some Girls a better album. (The answer is "no". But, not because Some Girls isn't a better album, because there is no correlation between the quality of a release and the number of copies sold.)

Date: November 29, 2011 01:29

Title5Take1
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Excellent. Mick's Wall Of Plastic Bags.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 29, 2011 01:31

Some Girls made a big impact in North America, but it was a "normal" selling Rolling Stones album worldwide, the album and Miss You made the Top 10 in Europe but nothing groundbreaking.
The album has sold about 9 million copies wordwide, 7.5 million in the U.S and Canada (+80% of the total).

Exile is a myth, their last classic album for the big public, Some Girls is just another Rolling Stones album post Exile, it sold well at the time (mainly in the U.S) but it never was a great catalog seller as Hot Rocks, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers or Exile.

The people only wants the hits post Exile: Angie, Start Me Up, IORR, etc. and Jump Back does the job, it's their only album post Exile that charts here and there in the world.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 29, 2011 01:37

vermontoffender
From what I'm seeing, SG is being downloaded illegally at an impressive rate, as is the Live DVD.

The same can be said about the other artists too, isn't it?
The last Justin Bieber album was downloaded more than 25,000 times from a torrent site only while SG is on the 2,000 mark on the same site (Demonoid)

Date: November 29, 2011 01:43

Yeah...but the Stones aren't competing with Bieber, are they? Also, if Exile would have been released in late November, 2010, would it have made #1?

The answer is no.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 29, 2011 01:48

Do you guys really want Some Girls to be right up there in top ten with asswipes like Lady Gaga...teenage boy bands... I really dont give shit if Some Girls sells or not...most of rock n roll history had poor sales when the biggest classics came out...and you want Some girls to sell as well as..say Hannah Montana and Lady Gaga..sorry... I thought you guys and girls liked rock n roll ?? What is this shit I hear..complaining that rock n roll band dont sell like some asswipe radiofriendly commercial piece of shit ?
Shame on you !!

Rolling Stones are rock n roll band..who gives a shit if they dont compete with Take That reunion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-29 01:50 by seitan.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 29, 2011 01:52

"It wasn't as rosy, as halcyonic as Nellcote." Generally, you make some good points man, but this line is out of a fairytale. And that is not how it was.
Nellcote was a beautiful villa with fantastic views and full of very mixed up human beings.

Date: November 29, 2011 01:58

Also, Some Girls was already released in remastered form. The only reason to buy this version is for the unreleased tracks. I think if the Stones had released a remastered Exile in 2010, without any bonus tracks, and then released it again in 2012, but with an extra disc of previously unreleased material, the sales would have been much, much different.

I know that was already mentioned, but I think it deserves repeating.

But, sometimes it's difficult to wrap your head around the idea that it doesn't matter anymore. At least, it is for me. Mick can't be too disappointed in the interest of what was, basically, a disc of unreleased songs from 33 years ago and a live show from the subsequent tour.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 29, 2011 02:04

stupidguy2
The push for Exile was huge, but I think that was a special thing. It deserved that kind of mammoth, their-greatest-moment attention. Jagger seemed to pull out the big guns, with the video, the dvd and it was a rare moment of nostalgia for him...but I doubt he'll do that again. It must have been exhaustive.
But I think that was a singular event and should remain so.

EDIT: I see this ground has been covered already, but I'll keep the post anyway.

Agreed. And also bear in mind that, when the Exile release occurred last year, it was the first remastered version of Exile in 16 years. A remastered version of Some Girls was issued 2 years ago. So the only buyers for this go-round for Some Girls would be those interested in the bonus tracks, i.e., die-hard Stones fans.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-29 02:05 by drewmaster.

Date: November 29, 2011 02:08

stonesrule
"It wasn't as rosy, as halcyonic as Nellcote." Generally, you make some good points man, but this line is out of a fairytale. And that is not how it was.
Nellcote was a beautiful villa with fantastic views and full of very mixed up human beings.

Yeah, that's true. Nellcote as a myth is romanticized....
But I wonder if the other Stones were mostly removed from all the more sordid activity ...
I first read about this period from Sanchez' book, and it represented the Stones mythology as its most seedy.
But the nostalgia last year, and the doc, did show how, in a way, that it was a kind of artistic arcadia.
Its hard to separate Tarle's romantic images of Keith and Anita and the lush trees and stately palace, with kids everywhere....from the reality of a growing addiction that would dominate their lives for years to come.
For Mick, Charlie, Bill, MT - things might have been more pleasant outside those palatial walls. What went on inside was another matter, but that centered mostly on Keith and Anita. But Keith always tends to put a positive spin on things. But from the recollections of the other Stones, including Mick, who said that its decadence was a bit exagerated - that period seemed to be hold a certain nostalgic affection.
In 1977, everybody was older and times more cynical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-29 02:10 by stupidguy2.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home