Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Live in Texas Amp Question
Posted by: kharrison ()
Date: November 26, 2011 03:38

Just got my DVD!!! Saw it in theatre and now at home. Have an amp question. On stage you see the backline of Ampeg's and Keith and Ronnie's Boogies...but what are the two amps stacked on top of each other to the left of Charlie's kick drum? Another amp for Ronnie or for the pedal steel? Never noticed them before, they are sitting right on the drum riser.

Re: Live in Texas Amp Question
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 26, 2011 13:29

kharrison
Just got my DVD!!! Saw it in theatre and now at home. Have an amp question. On stage you see the backline of Ampeg's and Keith and Ronnie's Boogies...but what are the two amps stacked on top of each other to the left of Charlie's kick drum? Another amp for Ronnie or for the pedal steel? Never noticed them before, they are sitting right on the drum riser.

Most prabably Wood's pedal steel amp.

Mathijs

Posted by: andreas ()
Date: November 26, 2011 17:55

i do think its jaggers amp

Date: November 26, 2011 21:23

andreas

Sure not, Jagger's amp is on the left, next to Wood's. All Boogie and Ampeg amps seen can be accounted for, but not that amp in front of Charlie. It does look like a pedal steel amp, with 15'' speakers. But, it can also be an amp for the violin of Doug Kershaw. This could be plausible as this gig is the only gig I have seen that amp on stage. I don't know really what kind of amp a violin player will use.

Mathijs

Date: November 28, 2011 16:52

so what about those two ampegs behind charlie? spare ones? i do think the amp on the drumriser is micks.., bought in texas in a local pawnshop

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 28, 2011 20:29

Mathijs
andreas

Sure not, Jagger's amp is on the left, next to Wood's. All Boogie and Ampeg amps seen can be accounted for, but not that amp in front of Charlie. It does look like a pedal steel amp, with 15'' speakers. But, it can also be an amp for the violin of Doug Kershaw. This could be plausible as this gig is the only gig I have seen that amp on stage. I don't know really what kind of amp a violin player will use.

Mathijs

Are you saying there's 3 Mesa's onstage? In all the pictures of the '78 tour I've only seen two.

Date: November 28, 2011 20:38

andreas
so what about those two ampegs behind charlie? spare ones? i do think the amp on the drumriser is micks.., bought in texas in a local pawnshop

Left or right next to Charlie? On the 78 tour it could change a bit according to the size of the venue, but in general there's four Ampeg SVT's to the right of Charlie (audience point of view) -that's one for Keith and one for Bill, plus backup for both. Keith's Boogie MK1 is to the near right of Charlie, and slaved to the first Ampeg SVT next to it. Then on the left of Charlie there's a Boogie/SVT set-up for Wood, and a Boogie for Mick. On some shows, Mick's and or Wood's Boogie can not be seen, or simply isn't there, and he they most probably only played through a SVT. Then further left there's two more SVT's for Ian MacLagan's wurly and or piano.

It's only on this show that I have seen that amp on the stage, and it certainly isn't Mick's, that Boogie is next to Wood's amp. It's either for the violin, or for Wood's pedal steel.

Mathijs

Date: November 29, 2011 22:56

i guess you are rightsmiling smiley) it a fantastic sound with the boogie/ svt combination..boogie pre and ampeg as slave then?

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: November 29, 2011 23:18

Mathijs
andreas

Mathijs

Nowadays a violin would have been connected directly to the board via D.I. or simillar, and I find it peculiar that there's a "guitaramp" for the violinist as a guitar and a violin are quite differently voiced, but the violin does sound kind of funny though....

Looking at it again now and if it's the two black "cabs" that are stacked, it doesn't look like regular guitaramp, and I don't think it's for the pedal steel either, considering the direction it's facing. (Certainly not Jaggers amp.)It's also miked and I would guess it is for the violin.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: November 29, 2011 23:31

Forgive me for my ignorance, but were the amps on stage responsible for the entire sound output in the theater, or was there some sort of PA system required? What about for stadium shows in 1978?

I know now there is a fancy big expensive sound system, but how does that work exactly? And what is the point of having onstage amps now?

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: November 29, 2011 23:41

Sipuncula
Forgive me for my ignorance, but were the amps on stage responsible for the entire sound output in the theater, or was there some sort of PA system required? What about for stadium shows in 1978?

I know now there is a fancy big expensive sound system, but how does that work exactly? And what is the point of having onstage amps now?

Yes there was a PA system. Stones have been using them since '69. (?) For guitarplayers, you can't get the right sound from other than dedicated guitaramps. (not counting modern modeling multieffects/ampsimulators)
The amps are miked so the sound from the guitaramps comes mostly out of the PA system. Also to here yourself play onstage, it's necessary to have an amp onstage. (Again not counting modern gizmos you feed directly into the PA/monitors.)

[www.reverbnation.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1151
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home