Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is it time for the Stones to perform albums in their entirety?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 23, 2011 14:56

How about a change of pace from the warhorse grind? Wouldn't it be refreshing to have the Stones perform a FEW different albums in their entirety on the next tour?

As The Who did with Quadrophenia and Springsteen with his catalog with great success. And to satisfy the hits junkies and chicks, at the end of the show, or even in the beginning add in some hits or surprises. They would actually have to work in rehearsals. Could they pull it off? What would you want to hear?

Please don't list just Exile. Get creative, dig up a real gem. List your top two albums to hear.

My vote is:

1. Aftermath (1966)
2. Black N Blue (1976)

Re: Is it time for the Stones to perform albums in their entirety?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 23, 2011 14:58

The Sicilian
They would actually have to work in rehearsals.

That's why it won't happen.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 23, 2011 16:00

No - I wouldn't say there's time for that, nor that it has ever been. Never seen the point in it; when it comes to Rolling Stones.....it makes more sense with bands that have made "theme-albums" - in a more theatrical kind of way.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 23, 2011 16:01

yes..they should do Some Girls Deluxe in a New York club..

Date: November 23, 2011 16:28

I would pay twice the price to sit in a theatre to hear a complete album anyday rather than in a packed stadium getting the tired rundown of warhorses. I been there many times for that stadium show.

If you gave me a free ticket to a stadium show or charged me $300 to hear "Aftermath" in small venue, I'd pay the $300 in a heartbeat.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 23, 2011 16:30

tatters
The Sicilian

Even though we've all surmised it...Mick's interview on the Forth Worth DVD was pretty
revealing when asked about performing new songs from the new album (whether it be
SOME GIRLS or A BIGGER BANG), essentially said there is trepidation and anxiety that
the band will flub them.

I don't dislike the idea of performing complete albums (in general) but that might be
more appropriate for bands that only have a couple classic albums. WIth the Stones
I'd like a sampling of the entire 50 years in a longer (2.5 hr) show.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-23 16:35 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 23, 2011 16:33

The Sicilian
Could they pull it off?

of course they could...right after they pull off doing beethoven's nine symphonies in consecutive order....

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 23, 2011 16:37

If the Stones were one of those bands with one superior album, then this might work.

Fortunately, the Stones don't have to do that.

Date: November 23, 2011 16:37

The Sicilian
I would pay twice the price to sit in a theatre to hear a complete album anyday rather than in a packed stadium getting the tired rundown of warhorses. I been there many times for that stadium show.

Yeah but that's a different point.....making them get rid of the warhorses.
See them playing obscurites sure seems exciting, but I don't see the point of them doing an entire album just for the sake of it - they could pick obscurities from anywhere in their catalog, instead of picking an entire album - IMO

Date: November 23, 2011 16:38

sweet neo con
tatters
The Sicilian

Even though we've all surmised it...Mick's interview on the Forth Worth DVD was pretty
revealing when asked about performing new songs from the new album (whether it be
SOME GIRLS or A BIGGER BANG), essentially said there is trepidation and anxiety that
the band will flub them.

One can assume by "the band" he is referring to Keith. That is an easy out. Maybe they should rehearse with conviction. I think it tarnishes their legacy. If they can't pull it together for that, then it makes them a cover band of their own hits for the last bunch of years.

Date: November 23, 2011 16:42

a totally absurd notion...you're talking about a band that at a time - 15 years ago when they had their chops reasonably intact - "tried" to pull of album themes of 3-4 songs...and had to resort to rearranging the setlist order so that songs that were already in the setlist became part of the theme....c'mon...y'all know this is poppycock to think they'd even entertain the idea....if and when they return to the stage....it's time to for another warhorse parade.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 23, 2011 16:46

Well it certainly is a very popular trend right now. I wouldn't completely rule it out at some point. Espicially something relatively easy like the original Some Girls.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 16:46

thing for me about that is very few albums by any band are perfect. there's always at least 1 song that's just pure filler

Date: November 23, 2011 16:48

ghostryder13
thing for me about that is very few albums by any band are perfect. there's always at least 1 song that's just pure filler

the filler is put in there intentionally for bathroom breaks. good bands think ahead...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 23, 2011 16:55

No...because then all you'd get to hear is the big 4.....I mean in which town are they going to play Undercover or Satanic Majesties for example,..........but just the big 4 would be boring...for me anyway..............

Date: November 23, 2011 16:57

Edith Grove
If the Stones were one of those bands with one superior album, then this might work.

Fortunately, the Stones don't have to do that.

Pink Floyd has done more than once. The Who as well. Of course they don't have to do that. But they should. How could they flub "Some Girls?" They have practically played every song from it. Were talking albums with 10 to 12 songs max.

I was never a Springsteen fan, but he gave his fans all his albums plus dozens of extras songs. FANS appreciate that. Two years ago on Nov. 22nd in Buffalo, Springsteen played "Asbury Park" in its entirety with others totally nearly 40 songs!

Date: November 23, 2011 16:58

The Sicilian
How could they flub "Some Girls?"

ok, now you're just being ridiculous....

Date: November 23, 2011 17:03

The Sicilian
sweet neo con
tatters
The Sicilian

the band will flub them.

One can assume by "the band" he is referring to Keith. That is an easy out. Maybe they should rehearse with conviction. I think it tarnishes their legacy. If they can't pull it together for that, then it makes them a cover band of their own hits for the last bunch of years.

Mick must've been going by their "recent" activity, because back then they obviously wanted to play as many songs from the new album, at least on that tour, and had no trepidation about it.

If they have trepidation about flubbing new songs then why do they even bother? That's pretty much Mick acknowledging that they are now a nostalgia act if they do play live again. It's very important that they continue to slaughter Jumpin' Jack Flash etc as they have the past 6 tours or whatever.

Date: November 23, 2011 17:05

StonesTod
a totally absurd notion...you're talking about a band that at a time - 15 years ago when they had their chops reasonably intact - "tried" to pull of album themes of 3-4 songs...and had to resort to rearranging the setlist order so that songs that were already in the setlist became part of the theme....c'mon...y'all know this is poppycock to think they'd even entertain the idea....if and when they return to the stage....it's time to for another warhorse parade.

Boy is that a copout. I'm talking about a few select shows in small venues. Not an every show thing. They are not amateurs.

Date: November 23, 2011 17:13

The Sicilian
StonesTod

Boy is that a copout. I'm talking about a few select shows in small venues. Not an every show thing. They are not amateurs.

not a chance. the amount of rehearsal work required for a few select shows wouldn't be worth it. they're professional entertainers and they know this as well as we do.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 23, 2011 17:24

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
The Sicilian
sweet neo con
tatters
The Sicilian

the band will flub them.

Mick must've been going by their "recent" activity, because back then they obviously wanted to play as many songs from the new album, at least on that tour, and had no trepidation about it.

If they have trepidation about flubbing new songs then why do they even bother? That's pretty much Mick acknowledging that they are now a nostalgia act if they do play live again. It's very important that they continue to slaughter Jumpin' Jack Flash etc as they have the past 6 tours or whatever.

Well..in the 2011 interview about the Fort Worth performance..and performing "new songs"...he pointed out how
he could notice the band REALLY concentrating on the transitions...and specifically mentioning some
difficulties with Shattered and that if Charlie goofs one time it's all messed up. (not quoting directly...i watched
it a couple days ago)

When he mentions "the band" I don't think he is specifically talking about Keith. Not being a musician
myself...I would guess that anytime you're performing a newer song, there's going to be some anxiety.

And from reading other threads here...about other shows on the 78 tour....most were sloppy but the
Fort Worth show clicked beautifully.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: November 23, 2011 17:34

sweet neo con
And from reading other threads here...about other shows on the 78 tour....most were sloppy but the

No, that's not really true. There's only 4 of the 25 shows of 1978 were very sloppy; Philadelphia; Oakland, Cleveland and 1st show in Anaheim...Buffalo is an "almost"-show. And these shows were the concerts that most people here on IORR attended....since they're stadium shows. Over half of the 1978 shows were excellent. It seems that it mostly clicked beautifully at the indoor shows.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 23, 2011 17:41

Erik_Snow
sweet neo con

No, that's not really true. There's only 4 of the 25 shows of 1978 were very sloppy; Philadelphia; Oakland, Cleveland and 1st show in Anaheim...Buffalo is an "almost"-show. And these shows were the concerts that most people here on IORR attended....since they're stadium shows. Over half of the 1978 shows were excellent. It seems that it mostly clicked beautifully at the indoor shows.

They were great in Tucson and awful in Anaheim a few days later.

Date: November 23, 2011 17:44

71Tele
Erik_Snow
sweet neo con

They were great in Tucson and awful in Anaheim a few days later.

Yeah they were - like night and day....and then they were rocking again at the 2nd Anaheim show...at least rocking by "stadium standards"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 23, 2011 17:44

Yes, but the album should be "Satanic Majesties".

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 23, 2011 17:59

No, they would have to practise too hard.

Date: November 23, 2011 18:10

sweet neo con
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
The Sicilian
sweet neo con
tatters
The Sicilian

the band will flub them.

Well..in the 2011 interview about the Fort Worth performance..and performing "new songs"...he pointed out how
he could notice the band REALLY concentrating on the transitions...and specifically mentioning some
difficulties with Shattered and that if Charlie goofs one time it's all messed up. (not quoting directly...i watched
it a couple days ago)

When he mentions "the band" I don't think he is specifically talking about Keith. Not being a musician
myself...I would guess that anytime you're performing a newer song, there's going to be some anxiety.

Ah, OK. Even on the SNL performance they seemed at odds with Shattered, yet on all the rest of the tours they've played it without any issues at all in terms of the arrangement. I'm guessing it had more to do with the attitude and their position in rock'n'roll at that time, with the punk and disco thing going on and how they were perceived as dinosaurs and all that yawn. They totally ignored the laid back aspect of the LP version and tore it several new asses live. And Mick certainly didn't help keep that train on the track either.

They performed aggressively on that tour (based on everything I've heard). Sloppy is one thing. But their overall attack was a 180 from the previous tour. Of course the next tour would be a 90 degree turn ha ha. Live In Texas is astounding really. A very hard tearing rocking band. An almost gleeful flinging of the songs. It was a new identity really, basically a new band.

Date: November 23, 2011 18:50

Erik_Snow
The Sicilian

Yeah but that's a different point.....making them get rid of the warhorses.
See them playing obscurites sure seems exciting, but I don't see the point of them doing an entire album just for the sake of it - they could pick obscurities from anywhere in their catalog, instead of picking an entire album - IMO

I think their catalog consists of about one page and 25 songs of which only 14 make it to the stage along with 3 to 4 new numbers.

Date: November 23, 2011 23:03

If they wanna do the warhorses do them at the start, or dispersed throughout, and surprise us at the end..for last third or so

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 23, 2011 23:12

It would definitely be fitting to do this considering they have an golden anniversary coming up. It sounds to gimmicky for Mick to settle on this theme on an entire tour though. They did something close to this on Licks by sampling an album per show doing a couple tracks per disc. Considering the albums were from their big four albums (plus SG and TY)--most of them were littered with warhorses anyway. We didn't get an IORR, ER or B&B night.

But I could see them do maybe a few shows like this in Europe. Maybe BB, LIB, SF and SG and them putting all the shows on another 5-6 disc DVD set...the last disc being a straight show without the albums theme. It would be a wonderful way to end their streak of big box sets of Live DVDs from their tours.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home