Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Some Girls 78 DVD- just my opinion
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 1, 2011 21:56

Fuman2
shortfatfanny
Fuman2
Well I have a different take on this show. Terrible. Keith and Charlie were excellent but the rest was just terrible. Don't intend to sound all high and mighty, but when I hear Ronnie play it reminds me of when I was learning to play guitar. The man can't muster a melodic solo anymore. Just about every other note was sharp or flat and watching him he seems to be so proud of his mediocrity. His haircut is his biggest asset to The Stones. The only instrument I can listen to Ronnie play is pedal steel, and even that was lackluster here. The violin on Far Away Eyes was nice. The few glimpses of Ian were great, and his piano was nice too.

Mick and Bill were terrible ? Hmmm....thought they were in topform...

Well, I'm not an authority, just a fan. I should say that I didn't have any problems with Bill, but Mick didn't sound good to my ears.

To all of those that enjoyed it, I am jealous. You're truly lucky.

An authority ? I´m just a fan as well,but for me it´s a great show which I never expected to be released officially.
But taste is different of course...sad you couldn´t enjoy it.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: December 1, 2011 22:28

Fuman2

LOL. Look at all the 5 star reviews. 99.9% enjoyed it and 0.1% (i.e. you) didn't.

Incredible concert. You don't like it - your loss.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 1, 2011 23:20

shortfatfanny
Fuman2
shortfatfanny
Fuman2
Well I have a different take on this show. Terrible. Keith and Charlie were excellent but the rest was just terrible. Don't intend to sound all high and mighty, but when I hear Ronnie play it reminds me of when I was learning to play guitar. The man can't muster a melodic solo anymore. Just about every other note was sharp or flat and watching him he seems to be so proud of his mediocrity. His haircut is his biggest asset to The Stones. The only instrument I can listen to Ronnie play is pedal steel, and even that was lackluster here. The violin on Far Away Eyes was nice. The few glimpses of Ian were great, and his piano was nice too.

Well, I'm not an authority, just a fan. I should say that I didn't have any problems with Bill, but Mick didn't sound good to my ears.

An authority ? I´m just a fan as well,but for me it´s a great show which I never expected to be released officially.

Well I am an authority on this, and I can confirm it was excellent.

Glad to have been of assistance. Now, back to our regular programming.

Posted by: Fuman2 ()
Date: December 1, 2011 23:50

shortfatfanny
Fuman2
shortfatfanny
Fuman2

Sorry, "authority" was a bad choice of words. Better for me to say that I haven't listened to much of the 1975 to current concerts, so I don't have an opinion on which ones are better than others.

I agree, it's fantastic that they're finally releasing this rare stuff.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 2, 2011 00:59

Fuman2

Clearly, you are trolling for some response. I will take the bait and suggest you are fu@##ng clueless. This is the clearly the best quality audio/video of a quality concert the band has ever released. The eyes and ears don't lie.

Date: December 2, 2011 01:49

filstan
Fuman2

Clearly, you are trolling for some response. I will take the bait and suggest you are fu@##ng clueless. This is the clearly the best quality audio/video of a quality concert the band has ever released. The eyes and ears don't lie.

Nope, not trolling for a response. Just adding my impression. Was I really that rude?

The quality of the audio/video is excellent. None of my original opinions said different, right?

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: December 2, 2011 02:41

Fuman2

Nope, not trolling for a response. Just adding my impression. Was I really that rude?

The quality of the audio/video is excellent. None of my original opinions said different, right?

No you weren't rude. The '78 tour isn't everybody's cup of tea. I prefer the Taylor years although I love this dvd. I'm almost surprised that you didn't get totally ripped for what you said although it would have been uncalled for. Alot of people around here start throwing insults when somebody doesn't share their opinion. I did really love the dvd though. Wish you could have but ya know.....I'm sure there is or will be other releases that do it for ya.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: December 2, 2011 03:29

scottkeef
OK..OK...I feel BAD for ya then! Didnt mean to go all John Boehner on you guys!!

Just share some of Boehner's cigs and whisky with us.

Date: December 2, 2011 04:11

Tumblin_Dice_07
Fuman2

No you weren't rude. The '78 tour isn't everybody's cup of tea. I prefer the Taylor years although I love this dvd. I'm almost surprised that you didn't get totally ripped for what you said although it would have been uncalled for. Alot of people around here start throwing insults when somebody doesn't share their opinion. I did really love the dvd though. Wish you could have but ya know.....I'm sure there is or will be other releases that do it for ya.

Most of my Stonesian friends love it. I like a lot of the official SG release and love the 2011 SG release with the outtakes. Wasn't too happy with Jagger's contemporary vocals on the Exile outtakes, but they sound great on the SG outtakes. No Spare Parts is great and Yellow Cab should have been released originally. Anyway, it's certainly exciting that the vaults are opening up. Hope they continue to release stuff. If we buy it, they'll keep doing it.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 2, 2011 07:38

Fuman2
filstan
Fuman2

With respect, I did not say you were rude, just clueless to suggest the Ft Worth concert dvd was a terrible show and that the band was not "on". I guess I can't understand what it is that defines a top end Rolling Stones concert in your eyes if you don't appreciate this one? If you don't get it, well, what else is there to say?

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 2, 2011 19:32

I heard 100 of hours Stones music, both official and boot, but the 80 minutes of Texas 78 is the best I heard ever of the band. This is a paradigm of Rock'n Roll ...

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 2, 2011 21:29

It's a great DVD, for sure. But 2000 light years from L&G.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home