Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill Wyman's playing on Brussels new mix!
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: November 18, 2011 01:20

I will probably get bashed for this post. But after listening to the new Brussels mix today all I can say is that Wyman freaking owned it. I almost cried. The old sod sounds so incredibly amazing on it that made Darryl Jones look like Herman Hermit. My gosh I blasted it in my car and Bill's playing it's so tight.... Rip This Joint - he was possesed!!!! The hole band sounds like this phat wall of sound and he held the thing together with Charlie. I got of the car and felt I was getting out of the arena. Pure excitemet, pure freaking voodoo...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-21 02:08 by Loudei.

Re: Bill Wyman Owns Brussels Affair
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 18, 2011 01:26

I haven't gotten around to downloading it yet. I did listen to my Brussels boot last night and that the biggest letdown is the poor bass sound to the recording. I was watching the 1st disc of the Ed Sullivan DVD last night too. By the February '66 appearance, where they do Satisfaction and 19th Nervous Breakdown, Bill is much more prominent, providing the toughness to Satisfaction, and that sliding bass on 19th Nervous Breakdown. Brian looks like he's already sinking into the background, barely playing guitar.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 18, 2011 01:29

Bashed? For what? Bill is amazing on this show.

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: November 18, 2011 01:31

I prefer bill's style of playing
He is a very smart player

Love bill wyman

Date: November 18, 2011 01:38

24fps go to www.stonesarchivestore.com you can have it for 7 bucks. A hot dog in orlando florida. LoL the bass sounds amazing!

24FPS
I haven't gotten around to downloading it yet. I did listen to my Brussels boot last night and that the biggest letdown is the poor bass sound to the recording. I was watching the 1st disc of the Ed Sullivan DVD last night too. By the February '66 appearance, where they do Satisfaction and 19th Nervous Breakdown, Bill is much more prominent, providing the toughness to Satisfaction, and that sliding bass on 19th Nervous Breakdown. Brian looks like he's already sinking into the background, barely playing guitar.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 18, 2011 01:40

There is just SO MANY great things about this recording. Bill's splendid bass is just one of them. Every person on the band steals the show.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 18, 2011 02:07

Haha, by the thread title I was expecting to see a pic of Bill holding a vinyl copy of it that he purchased!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: November 18, 2011 02:27

I own it too............and for only $4.99 smiling bouncing smiley

Re: Bill Wyman playing on Brussels new mix!
Date: November 21, 2011 02:08

Now you get the topic?

Re: Bill Wyman's playing on Brussels new mix!
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 21, 2011 02:11

Bill was always fantastic.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: November 21, 2011 02:23

no bashing at all, wyman is essential to the live stones.

Date: November 21, 2011 04:46

Bashed? More like, why has it taken us so long for opening Bill Wyman's own thread re. Bruxelles 73. I was reviewing my own listening experience, and Wyman's name was the one that kept popping up. Especially on "Heartbreaker" and "Mr D".
But like you said: it's everywhere. DJ can never come close; and it has nothing to do with dexterity or chops. It is a mindset.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 21, 2011 05:20

Is there any other bass player that can play like Bill? The fills, the phrasing? Bill's playing is a joy to listen to.

Posted by: GrandToad ()
Date: November 21, 2011 06:39

Bill's bass playing is fantastic. The guy grooves like a Motown session player.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 21, 2011 13:26

As much as I like his playing in Brussels, his work in these years pales compared to what he did in the 78-82 period.

By the way awful sound on Shelter. What was going on?

C

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: November 21, 2011 22:00

I think that this record shows that the 78-82-Bill was already there in 1973.I can't believe where all his ideas came from.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: November 21, 2011 22:03

bill is alot better player than people realize!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 21, 2011 22:09

microvibe
bill is alot better player than people realize!

hmmm...well, it seems ppl realize bill's a great player...but he's alot better than great, you say?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 21, 2011 22:09

Bärs
...the 78-82-Bill was already there in 1973.I can't believe where all his ideas came from.

I found myself listening to Bill Wyman when putting on the Brussels Affair today; indeed he's a joy to listen to - and so many different angles to his approach at chosing tones all the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-21 22:17 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 21, 2011 22:28

Erik_Snow
Bärs
...the 78-82-Bill was already there in 1973.I can't believe where all his ideas came from.

I found myself listening to Bill Wyman when putting on the Brussels Affair today; indeed he's a joy to listen to - and so many different angles to his approach at chosing tones all the time.
Fully agreed. He was such an essential part of the sound, and while there's absolutely no need for bashing DJ, things were never the same after Bill left.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: November 21, 2011 22:31

Wyman is king here. Too bad Charlie isn't up to par, though. Lots of fu** ups and poor timing.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 21, 2011 23:09

audun-eg
Wyman is king here. Too bad Charlie isn't up to par, though. Lots of fu** ups and poor timing.

Charlie sets his own par...he can't be judged

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-21 23:15 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: November 21, 2011 23:13

audun-eg

I don't know. Really, I think that this record also demonstrates that Charlie's hard hitting improvised playing of 75-78 was already there in 1973. The groove is might fine, it's heavy and it swings at the same time, it's spontaneous and exciting, but also risky - which means that some obvious mistakes happen. It's part of the deal. I'm actually impressed by the power in his playing. This record has actually made me rethink some aspects of their development as musicians.

Date: November 21, 2011 23:26

Could it be that Bill was the one that found that groove in the rhythm section of 77-82 and not Charlie? Probably a combination... I never heard Wyman this good on tape. I haven't seen Live In Texas yet so I might write back and sy "Bill is very in Texas" Nevertheless I wish he never left.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1423
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home