Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Best sounding cd/sacd editions of BB, LIB, SF and Exile to this day?
Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: October 28, 2017 15:22

I'm so confused with all these different editions (including japanese SHM-CD and SHM-SACD), what are the best sounding editions (most close to vinyl) in your opinion whether cd or sacd for the albums BB, LIB, SF and Exile?

As for SACD I mean single layer SACD, not the hybrid discs. The hybrid layer of SACD doesn't seem to work reliably in Sony players, I've tried several Sony players and several hybrid discs.

I've read that someone even prefers some cd-editions over sacd-editions.....

Vinyl is 100% authentic option of course but what about these digital formats, which editions are your favorites?

So which cd / sacd / shm-cd/ shm-sacd and what year of release?

(I've heard some early West Germany cds are very good (oddly!) but they are almost impossible to get as sealed or in a really good shape.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-28 16:29 by rollingon.

Re: Best sounding cd/sacd editions of BB, LIB, SF and Exile to this day?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 28, 2017 16:50

The 2011 SHM-SACDs of 'Sticky Fingers' (UIGY-9066) and 'Exile On Main St.' (UIGY-9081) were flat-transferred from the original British analogue master tapes and should represent all the details of the master tape.

Similar with the DSD-version of the 2016 Mono-Box: [TheAudiophileMan.com] .

There're also 2013/14 BluRay-Audio editions of 'Exile On Main St.' and 'Let It Bleed' which should base on the same masters as the SACDs.

The 2010 SHM-SACDs of 'Beggars Banquet' (UIGY-9038) and 'Let It Bleed' (UIGY-9021) are based on the 2002 masters by Bob Ludwig.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-28 17:40 by Irix.

Re: Best sounding cd/sacd editions of BB, LIB, SF and Exile to this day?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 28, 2017 22:15

I have a CD of the first album that says Manufactured by Polygram in Hanover, West Germany. It's great. I think practically all the ABKCO SACDs are great, even fantastic without the SACD, and just the DSD layer. (Much better than I had ever heard these CDs, or early records). I haven't heard the much ballyhooed SHM-SACD's. Their cost and non-availability in the States being why. But I do like my Virgin version of Exile.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home