Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: OT: CD-Format to be Abandoned by Major Labels by the End of 2012
Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: November 2, 2011 15:46

I'd love to dissent, but you're right, of course.

Found on FFFFunny.com:
Now vs. 15 years ago

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-02 16:04 by Greenblues.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 2, 2011 16:06

Just to add my tuppence worth

The whole CD thing was bullshit sold by the record companies and we all fell for it (most of us) and whilst I love the convenience of download I very much prefer having something to hold, whether its vinyl or CD

Also my daughter lost her entire music download collection (and no she didn't have it backed up - who does that anyway?)

Much safer to have the bulk of your collection in hard copy form of some kind!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 2, 2011 16:26

exhpart

hard drives are a form of some kind.

Date: November 2, 2011 16:31

KeefintheNight82
I am surprised at the amount of illegal downloading done by the members here.
You guys are supposed to be the hardcore music fans.
You are supposed to be the ones that buy the reissues and the remasters.

I'm a bit saddened that a lot of you (not all) will even download people you claim to be fans of.

Weird.

I buy cds almost every week. I don't download jack-shit.

get with the program already! sheesh...

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: November 2, 2011 17:08

StonesTod
KeefintheNight82

I'm a bit saddened that a lot of you (not all) will even download people you claim to be fans of.

Weird.

Just figured if anyone online was anti piracy it would be the members of a classic rock band forum.

I'll get with the program when I'm forced to.

The first thing I thought when I saw this topic was that I better go buy back-up cds of my favorite ten-fifteen albums.

Date: November 2, 2011 17:21

KeefintheNight82
StonesTod
KeefintheNight82

Weird.

Just figured if anyone online was anti piracy it would be the members of a classic rock band forum.

go pirates!!

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 2, 2011 20:12

exhpart
Also my daughter lost her entire music download collection (and no she didn't have it backed up - who does that anyway?)

Did she bother downloading it again after tht or just turned her back on recorded music altogether?

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: November 2, 2011 21:17

Can't see it happening so soon. However, another big economic dip may be a big factor in hastening such a scenario.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: November 2, 2011 21:42

Just to add some more info that is slightly more appealing than my first comment last night.
Becks ( in UK )beer have a promotion with napster on 275ml bottles,1 track per bottle,I bought 6 bottles a couple of weeks ago and got some of Merle Haggards Working in Tennessee,I probably would not have bought the album as a CD but free with a beer or 2,very good deal.
I bought the original pack from lidl for £5.99,then I found 12 bottles for £9 at Sainsburys,so I have 18 tracks for £15,about the cost of 2CDs with some good beer included.
Now tonight I stopped to get some odds and ends at Morrisons Supermarket and they are having a promotion on beer buy 2 packs(12 bottles) get 1 free ,so for £20 I now have 36 bottles of great beer and 36 more tracks to download,this more like it.
I will of course still buy CDs until they disappear from sale,hope they don't I quite like the little silver devils.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 2, 2011 22:01

Send It To me
A download costs almost as much as a cd, and then your computer crashes and you lose everything. You own nothing. I've never understood the value in downloading.

Tough I prefer CDs and vinyl and love great liner notes...you only lose music (or anything else on your computer) if you don't back it up. Loads of ways to do that. I have a 2 TB drive that I back up all my music to from my computer. There are also services like iCloud. I have had CDs and Vinyl destroyed and lost that music but have never lost a digital download.

(BTW, my vinyl of Get Yer Ya Yas Out has gone thru 30+ years of parties and has loads of scratches, clicks and pops, and the label is stained from a beer spill...but I still love the sound).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 3, 2011 01:04

billwebster
exhpart

Did she bother downloading it again after tht or just turned her back on recorded music altogether?

I for one would like to know the answer to that.

And as far as the previous question is concerned...I DO! Why the hell wouldn't you? It's like asking, 'who buckles their seat belt?'

I've got mine backedup to harddrive EVEN THOUGH I have them on CD. I don't want to go through the labourious process of ripping all the files ever again.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 3, 2011 01:13

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-04 02:02 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: November 3, 2011 02:00

kowalski

The major labels plan to abandon the CD-format by the end of 2012 (or even earlier) and replace it with download/stream only releases via iTunes and related music services

It's maybe inevitable but I think it's a shame to replace CD quality music with low quality (mp3) music...

Whose to say that the downloads won't go from lossy MP3's to a lossless format?

However, if that doesn't happen, then yes, the lower quality becoming the standard will suck.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: November 3, 2011 02:10

exhpart
Just to add my tuppence worth

The whole CD thing was bullshit sold by the record companies and we all fell for it (most of us) and whilst I love the convenience of download I very much prefer having something to hold, whether its vinyl or CD

It's not so much that we fell for it, as we didn't have a choice. The record companies phased out vinyl and cassettes. I avoided CD's until the late 90's because I couldn't afford, and refused to pay, more than what I paid for a record or tape, and didn't like what I'd heard about the sound quality (although I did like the fact that they were more resilient, and it was easier to jump from track to track). Even when I finally bought a CD player, and started buying discs, 99% of what I bought was used, for the above reasons.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 3, 2011 06:07

treaclefingers
billwebster
exhpart

I for one would like to know the answer to that.

And as far as the previous question is concerned...I DO! Why the hell wouldn't you? It's like asking, 'who buckles their seat belt?'

I've got mine backedup to harddrive EVEN THOUGH I have them on CD. I don't want to go through the labourious process of ripping all the files ever again.

You can just as easily lose your whole physical music collection - I did, in a house fire. Made me realise how much music I kept around the house that I hardly ever got around to listening to, and never got around to replacing. I'd say that since then I have deliberately replaced about 10% of what I had (the ones I really missed), and built up a new house-full of different stuff.

Posted by: MrHappy ()
Date: November 3, 2011 06:35

Whether it's true or not, you know it's going to happen eventually.
It's a sign of the society we live in - everything is instant gratification, whether it's instant coverage of a flood in Pango Pango or DVDs of films coming out a month or two after they hit theaters.
A piece of music becomes available, and suddenly and it has to be owned immediately.
Personally, I always loved the news that the Stones or the Who or the Kinks or whoever was putting out a new record, counting the days until the release and then buying it, critiquing it, checking out the album cover and the credits.
The entire package was a piece of art, and some recording artists treated them that way, which is why outfits like Hipgnosis sprung up.
Now, it's hear it, download it and then go on some lame website to figure out who made it.
This way, of course, is cheaper for the artist, but most are only interested in making money rather than something that lasts anyway.
I prefer the thought-out piece of art rather than the disposable download.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 3, 2011 08:48

Well said Mr Happy. But unfortunatley times are changing and I suspect we're a minority in that way of thinking. But that doesn't mean we can't have fun rockin' out anymore. We'll always have records and cds of our favorite bands. Personally I'm not concerned. For the last few years I've gone to the cd stores and looked at absolutely nothing unless it was release date from somebody I like. It's an era gone by. Pretty soon we'll only have things like ebay to satisfy our fix.

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: November 3, 2011 12:47

There is a program I used awhile back when I got a new computer and it ripped all my songs on my Ipod to the new computer. With that said, all my music is backed up.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 16, 2011 20:30

Music Lovers, Prepare to Say Goodbye to the CD

By Rick Aristotle Munarriz, The Motley Fool Posted 2:20PM 11/15/11

[www.dailyfinance.com]

Music Lovers, Prepare to Say Goodbye to the CDYou had to know that the CD wasn't going to last forever.

We've seen 78s, vinyl, 8-track tape, and (for the most part) cassettes come and go. Why should the pre-recorded music CD be any different?

Side-Line Music Magazine turned heads last week when it reported that the major record labels plan to abandon the CD by the end of next year -- if not sooner.

The online music magazine didn't get a single music company to go on the record with its bold claim, though it later updated its story to point out that several label employees did approach the magazine to confirm that plans do exist to nix the compact disc.

If the article is accurate, we'll be down to simply limited-edition CD releases restricted to the top-selling artists after 2012.

Farewell, Physical Distribution

We should have seen this coming. The first "a-ha moment" came during the first half of 2008, when industry sales tracker NPD Group reported that Apple (AAPL) overtook Walmart (WMT) to be the country's largest retailer of music. For those scoring at home, Apple doesn't sell CDs. It's all about digital distribution through iTunes Music Store.

We had already seen the demise of the traditional record stores before that. Tower Records filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2004 -- and again in 2006. Sam Goody parent Musicland also buckled under pressure.

Let's play a game. Think of the largest mall in your town. It surely had a dedicated record store or two several years ago. Is there still one there now?

The fadeout of traditional record stores didn't have to be fatal. Walmart, Best Buy (BBY), and Target (TGT) stepped up as leading retailers of music CDs. However, don't be surprised if you find that your local Walmart or Best Buy keeps hacking away at the shelf space devoted to compact discs.

Light media is being challenged on all fronts. Borders liquidated earlier this year, as bibliophiles who once swore that they would never abandon leafy reads finally come to terms with the ever cheaper e-readers. This is shaping up to be the third year in a row for declining video game sales, as console downloads and casual gaming smartphone apps eat into the once-brisk sale of gaming software on cartridges and discs. Hollywood is bellyaching about sluggish DVD sales, just as streaming video is booming as a primetime obsession.

Everywhere you turn, physical distribution is passing the baton to digital sprinters.

But I Love My Record Collection

Change isn't easy, but it's evolutionarily inevitable. The same people that bucked the migration from vinyl to compact disc -- arguing that album liner notes and the warm tone of a needle on grooves of wax could never be replaced -- are now going to resist filing change of address forms for digital digs.

I remember the resistance well. I was fortunate enough to have my band -- Paris By Air, don't fret if you blinked and missed us -- signed to a major label in the late 1980s. Our first single was released on vinyl and cassette in the summer of 1989. By the time Columbia Records issued our second and final single with the label nine months later, CDs were the media of choice.

The next time you hire a DJ for a music outing, don't be surprised if his gear consists solely of an MP3 player and a mixing console. It's the new way.

It doesn't matter if you have never even owned an iPod.

Amazon.com, Apple, and Google (GOOG) have rolled out cloud-based music storage services this year. Wireless phones and tablets are making music portable for those that don't see the point of dedicated MP3 players. Digital music stores are beefing up the quality of their tracks.

If you don't feel it now, wait until you see how few 2013 model cars will come with CD players. As music streaming gets easier and more seamless, the percentage of music fans that don't have access to digital music will continue to shrink.
You may not like it now, but you will probably understand later.

From Foe to Friend

Record labels dreaded digital distribution at first, largely because it consisted of rampant piracy on peer-to-peer networks. They didn't like Apple drawing a line in the sand at the 99-cent price point for singles and $9.99 for complete albums, a move that turned album buyers into cherry-picking consumers of individual tracks.

However, the industry has come around. It didn't really have much of a choice.

Digital delivery makes sense on the surface. Labels can save money on manufacturing discs, shipping them out, and bracing for the eventual retail returns. However, it also threatens the very viability of major labels.

I needed Columbia Records 22 years ago to promote my music to radio stations and get my records in stores. That talented kid of yours probably doesn't in a world of YouTube, Facebook, and a handful of sites that can get garage bands on to all the major digital distributors in a matter of days for just a few bucks.

See, not all change is bad. Embracing the inevitable is the first step.

See full article from DailyFinance: [srph.it]

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: November 16, 2011 21:20

My local great record store assures me that, while this is certainly inevitable, that time frame is not realistic. Of course, they have a vested interest but I hope they're right.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 16, 2011 21:29

24FPS
Justin
24FPS
I live near Hollywood Boulevard and Highland, near Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

I've always said that if I lived closed to Amoeba Records...I'd be there almost every day....is that the case with you or do you try to stop yourself from going all the time?

I used to go there all the time, but I've acquired so much that there's not a lot I need. I've been more into DVDs of performances. Since the bottom fell out of the economy here, there have been very few exciting releases the last couple years. And if there is, I usually request them as Birthday or Christmas gifts. But I do get over there and trade in a few CDs and shop around. It's a great place to look around. Of course their stuff is a little overpriced. Since a lot of the mom and pop Used CD places have gone under, along with regular record stores, they don't have a lot of competition. You get less for your trade-ins and the new titles are costly. Still, it is one of the advantages of living in a huge metropolis like this is having something like Amoeba.

Besides Amoeba are you aware of any other music stores in West LA besides Second Spin and Record Surplus for good deals?

Date: November 16, 2011 21:39

ineedadrink
Justin
It seems this blog is the only one stating this....no other news site is reporting this story. You would think something this huge would be all over the news. I'm not investing too much into it./
the local news channel here in Toronto is reporting the story.

Yeah but I doubt they got their source anywhere else but from this same article...every other news site is simply quoting this article as the source. No official word from any one on the industry about the validity of this story.

I honestly doubt the CD will ever go away completely. Sure manufacturing will slim down to ridiculously low levels but it will always be there. I doubt in early January 2013 we'll be visiting our local stores and find all the CDs gone though. According to recent statistics, 70% of new music is still consumed by CD...so to predict that the bottom will fall out in in just one year is ridiculous. Such a thing would send shockwaves to people who aren't yet completely ready to shift over to downloading.

Date: November 16, 2011 21:43

Justin
According to recent statistics, 70% of new music is still consumed by CD...

where are you getting this from? i highly doubt that...i don't think i know a single person who buys cds...

Date: November 16, 2011 21:56

Albeit two years old...these were the numbers in 09. Numbers surely have risen but to a point where CDs can be easily erased within a year?...me no think so.

[www.electronista.com]

Date: November 16, 2011 22:01

Justin
Albeit two years old...these were the numbers in 09. Numbers surely have risen but to a point where CDs can be easily erased within a year?...me no think so.

[www.electronista.com]

i doubt they'll be gone that soon, but they will be gone. seriously - who buys cds? most of the stores are long-gone...

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: November 16, 2011 22:47

I certainly do. I buy any new or archival release by any group or artist whose work I admire. And that record store (Ditch Records, Victoria, B.C.) just moved into a bigger location because BUSINESS IS GOOD. I don't know if that's an aberration but it's true-the specialty store is thriving while the chains are closing, at least in this town.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 16, 2011 23:07

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 17, 2011 00:08

smoking smileyiPod 160 gig...any song you could imagine at the click of the wheel...life is goodsmileys with beer

Posted by: jimbean ()
Date: November 17, 2011 00:22

I'm happy The rolling Stones are putting out massive reissues of their old albums but am I going to spend my precious money buying Mick Jagger a new pair of shoes? No! I'm downloading!
jima >grinning smiley<

Date: November 18, 2011 20:30

Never mind CD's, I wanna read the rest of the Gaddafi article.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home