Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Saw John Mayall tonight & met Mick Taylor! He said an interesting thing.....
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: October 30, 2011 01:43

John Mayall was good, passionate, but didn't excite me,but I appreciate his passion, humour, and songwriting, but perhaps most of all his desire to champion younger generations of musicians, especially after watching the phenomenal Oli Brown!Please check him out!!!

Mick T came on and played on three encores, he got very big cheers from the otherwise overly sedate crowd, he played ok, but he had that slightly nervous look, and clearly wanted his amp turned up as loud as possible, he played some nice licks, but it is always hard when you come on and play with a band that has already been playing all night. (Have to check John Mayall websites for tracklisting)

Met him outside, I said "Hi Mick Taylor, my two favourite tracks are 100 Years Ago & Winter", to which he said something like "I hope I get to play theses again sometime soon", which I took as a hint, that somehow he might play with the Stones again on the next/last tour, but probably just my imagination running away with me, or perhaps his.....?????

As much as I love his body of work, MT always strikes me as overly insecure....and I guess that he has always been this way....

Re: Saw John Mayall tonight & met Mick Taylor! He said an interesting thing.....
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 30, 2011 01:56

guyrachel
just my imagination running away with me

Good story anyway. Thanks for posting

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Re: Saw John Mayall tonight & met Mick Taylor! He said an interesting thing.....
Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: October 30, 2011 02:01

Nothing wrong with keeping hope alive.

Did he look in better shape physically than he has in the past few years?

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: October 30, 2011 02:12

A few years ago, if I told you maybe someday Mick Taylor would basically cut a Stones track with Jagger (Plundered My Soul)... everyone would have laughed and told me to keep dreaming. No one would have believed it... but it happened. And lets face it, the guitar section today could use a boost. I am not counting on a Stones tour with Mick Taylor, or even a Stones tour at all, but Taylor joining the Stones on tour is no longer just a pipe dream either.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-30 02:52 by mickjagger1009.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 30, 2011 02:16

If the Stones will tour Mick Taylor should be init (maybe not the whole tour) but at least some gigs

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 30, 2011 02:24

mickjagger1009
A few years ago, if I told you maybe someday Mick Taylor would basically cut a Stones track with Jagger (Plundered My Soul)... everyone would have laughed and told me to keep dreaming. No one would have believed it.

keep dreaming; will never happen

Date: October 30, 2011 02:27

Why...did your wife tell you so?

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: October 30, 2011 03:14

Mick Jagger was quite happy to ask Taylor to play on Plundered My Soul, he has been hanging out with Woods, so why not, the only problem would be, you know who. Taylor is working on an Asian tour for next year but who knows if that will happen. I dont think any Stone or Ex Stone would like a big tour anyway, their all getting a bit long in the tooth for that.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 30, 2011 03:23

lapaz62
I dont think any Stone or Ex Stone would like a big tour anyway, they're all getting a bit long in the tooth for that.

we all are

Date: October 30, 2011 03:34

[www.youtube.com]
I really would love to see a re-recording of Winter, with the Carla Olsen type solo.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 30, 2011 03:47

>the only problem would be, you know who.

Pierre?

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 30, 2011 03:56

The Stones are planning on adding Winter to the set list on the fifth of f*cking never.

Date: October 30, 2011 04:12

what a strange thing to say.. he can play them whenever he wants!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 30, 2011 04:34

There was some talk about a Deluxe re-issue of GHS. Maybe he means he hopes he gets to do some overdubs.

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: October 30, 2011 05:28

Hi all. First ever post here.

misterfrias
Nothing wrong with keeping hope alive.

Did he look in better shape physically than he has in the past few years?

I think this is the latest on how he looks these days. Not too bad IMHO...

lapaz62
Taylor is working on an Asian tour for next year but who knows if that will happen.

Where did you hear this??

tatters
There was some talk about a Deluxe re-issue of GHS. Maybe he means he hopes he gets to do some overdubs.

I never heard about a GHS Deluxe being mentioned before. Was it just an unfounded rumor or did it come from a reliable source? That would be exciting.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: October 30, 2011 05:55

Pretty awesome! Meeting an actual, real Rolling Stone. I would be speechless and pretty starstruck, but you were able to converse with Mick Taylor! Thanks for posting your experience! And certainly hope he does get his (and our) wish and play with the Stones again. Thanks for posting your experience.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 30, 2011 07:26

mickjagger1009
A few years ago, if I told you maybe someday Mick Taylor would basically cut a Stones track with Jagger (Plundered My Soul)... everyone would have laughed and told me to keep dreaming. No one would have believed it... but it happened. And lets face it, the guitar section today could use a boost. I am not counting on a Stones tour with Mick Taylor, or even a Stones tour at all, but Taylor joining the Stones on tour is no longer just a pipe dream either.

Yep.

Date: October 30, 2011 07:47

Achilles 77, nice to have you here, heard about the tour, well its still in the planning from Taylors Manager, I have been trying to drum up some interest here in Australia by contacting a few promoters and festival organizers to let them know he may be around next year and trying to get someone to book him. No one asked me but I have been doing it just so I can see him in concert, he rarely comes here, either the promoters dont beleive me or they are not interested. If I could do it myself, I would but thats way out of my comfort zone.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: October 30, 2011 07:56

StonesTod
lapaz62
I dont think any Stone or Ex Stone would like a big tour anyway, they're all getting a bit long in the tooth for that.

we all are

So you say. Now get the hell off of my lawn!

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 30, 2011 08:32

bring him in all the time to lay down some licks on unreleased material.

love to see him reunite with the boys. wouldn't surprise me that if they do
a 50th anniversary gig(s), mick taylor and bill wyman might be invited.after all, it will be the last time.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 30, 2011 08:51

Great story, thanks for posting.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 30, 2011 09:56

Realy nice story.Thanks for sharing it.I saw Oli Brown about 5 years ago as support on a Walter Trout gig.He was very young then and done some great jammin' with Walter.Most people left the show knowing there was a great talent there. winking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 30, 2011 10:25

Welcome to the show Achilles77

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 30, 2011 11:07

achilles77

I think this is the latest on how he looks these days. Not too bad IMHO...

Ohh la la... that's a bit kissy, kissy!

Date: October 30, 2011 11:23

Fun, money, sex, drugs, passion, music, business, vanguard show business, sex, sex, money, fun, fun, money, squeeze youth, madness, squezee adulthood, sex, drugs, music, music, money, fun, scandals money, business, living in a jail made of gold bars ....

BUT if justice would have some room sometime in the band...Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman should be part of the last chapter...

Date: October 30, 2011 11:41

I think Mick is clearly still v concerned about his status. Underneath his overweight current physical state, there is clearly still a man v passionate about how he comes across, and his legacy. You would love him to go to bootcamp, and really get fitter(I think he already looks significantly better than last year!!), for his ownsake etc. I was very struck when I saw him and Ron Wood side by side at the 100 Club, and just how well Ron came over, who was so young, vital and fresh by comparison(Clearly they are more than happy to play together).
I "felt" that Mick was threatened by the expert guitar work of John Mayall's main guitarist(Name?) and more so by Oli Brown(Who was clearly such an effortless virtuoso, and hopefully future star); It is difficult not to to think that Mick, who clearly still has such much skill at the end of his fingertips, does not long/yearn for the limelight! In fact, given the roar of the crowd for this overweight, slightly shy guitarist, you really wish he'd pull himself together, so that he could, IF IF IF he was EVER ASKED, fulfil that long cherished dream that many RS fans have, and play the third guitarist in a RS reunion 50th Anniversary tour. Given how excited this news would make RS hardcore fans, and given the change of focus and status that Keith has undergone in the years since the last tour, and especially since becoming even more uniquely celebrated for 'Life', Keith might not only contemplate the possibility, he might even positively welcome Mick Taylor rejoining the Rolling Stones for their 50th Anniversary World Tour!! BUT I think that Mick Taylor must work harder all round, And I know it's not my place to say, but it's a nice fantasy that would give the Rolling Stones 50th Tour headline grabbing status, beyond the normall Rolling wheelchairs etc.
Also I think they should get a great percussionist to work alongside Charlie!?

Date: October 30, 2011 11:43

should read "still has SO much skill at the end of his fingertips"

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: October 30, 2011 12:29

Big Al

Ohh la la... that's a bit kissy, kissy!

Was this the first time you got to watch "Rockstars in the Wild" ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-30 12:33 by Lightnin'.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 30, 2011 12:37

Is Ronnie's response to the "when will the Stones tour?" question - "How long is a piece of string?" a reference to...THE TODGER INCIDENT?

I think so. Ugh. Stupid Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-30 12:38 by Send It To me.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 30, 2011 12:50

guyrachel
given the change of focus and status that Keith has undergone in the years since the last tour, and especially since becoming even more uniquely celebrated for 'Life', Keith might not only contemplate the possibility, he might even positively welcome Mick Taylor rejoining the Rolling Stones for their 50th Anniversary World Tour!!

I think you have a point here, not much discussed before. I think Keith has with a purpose (but forced by his own decreased condition) downplayed his reputation as a guitarist. He, for example, have said lately that he doesn't see himself as a guitarist, or even a musician at all! That doesn't probably surpise us but I am sure he would't have said that in his peak, when he was in top condition. He knows that he is not able to play the instrument any longer like he used to do but instead of admitting this frankly he reforms his very image that the musicianship or the guitar-playing wasn't such big thing or deal ever in the first place. His greatness is in somewhere else. He used to describe himself as "making records" - that's when he realized that he is not going to match with technical point of view with his contemporary guitarists (accured alraedy in the late 60's.). Now he simply refers to see himself - after realizing not being so profilic in "making records" for decades now - just an "entertainer" who also has this romantic habit of making songs sometimes. In LIFE he emphesizes the innovations he did during the late 60's - open tunings - that marked his signature sound (which was very much to do with making sonsg and records at the time). Keith is, rightly, proud for that, but from a creative point of view, or as a guitatrist developing his craft, that took place some 40 years ago, and the speech is full of nostalgy.

It is also within this context, Keith acknowledges Taylor's greatness as a technically wonderful guitarist, even using rare superlatives for him. Keith gives us a picture of him writing suitable songs that would work for Taylor's skills. He had already that in his mind. That's news - he gives us picture that Taylor was working for him, and he "used" Taylor and his skills for his own aims. And he reminds in the end of the day, that as a person Taylor was nothing to talk about. This is Keith Richards version of musical greatness: the A-rate people are the people of song-writing and innovativity with a great personhood, the leaders; the B-rate people are just "great musicians", the followers.

The way Keith sees himself nowadays, and the image he now promotes, has less and less to do with musicianship - or music altogether - but more like being a "big person", with a legendaric past, witty one-liners and stories to share, and who has made "Keith Richards" as trademark or a brand who can be offered in any context of "entertainment". Yeah, as he noticed, even the presidents like his presence. I think Keith has also made it possible that he can perform in any condition as possible because it he is just "entertaining" people, and if they - the audience - feel good, that's good enough. He has passed the criteria of being technically or musically capable - that's something for "musical nerds" to complain or to notice - Keef "The Pirate" Richards is above all that. With this tactics, and developing his image, he has made it possible that he can get away with anything. But on the other hand, because his ego is not any longer dependent of musical greatness or even superiority, it offers a room for the rest to offer their goods (even Ronnie was having a decent volume during A BIGGER BANG tour). That also can mean - let me make a prediction - that there is a place for Taylor (or anyone) to take care of the music and give the soundtrack for him and to his singer. His ego and star can cope with it easily. No need to shine musically; just being Keith Richards is enough.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-30 13:02 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1975
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home