Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Full credits for Some Girls bonus tracks
Date: October 29, 2011 04:54

I believe Kimsey was credited as producer of "So Young" on the LOVE IS STRONG CD single in 1994.

Date: October 29, 2011 05:44

Georgelicks - a great thread. You always have good and relevant Stones info!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 29, 2011 05:51

Cafaro
Has anyone else noticed how much When You're Gone sounds like Woody's RedEyes?

Er, yes. Its the same song.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 29, 2011 05:51

ineedadrink
on the Japanese bonus track we have:

`Legs' Larry Smith, drums
Sam Spoons, rhythm pole
Vernon Dudley Bohay-Nowell, bass guitar
Neil Innes, piano.
Rodney Slater on the saxophone
Roger Ruskin Spear on tenor sax.
Vivian Stanshall, trumpet.
Big John Wayne, xylophone
Robert Morley, guitar.
Billy Butlin, spoons.
Adolf @#$%& on vibes.
Princess Anne on sousaphone.
Introducing Liberace, clarinet
Garner "Ted" Armstrong on vocals.
Lord Snooty and his pals, tap dancing.
Harold Wilson, violin
Franklin McCormack on harmonica.
Eric Clapton, ukulele.
Sir Kenneth Clark, bass sax.
a session's gorilla on vox humana.
Incredible Shrinking Man on euphonium.
Peter Scott on duck call.
Casanova on horn.
General de Gaulle on accordion.
Roy Rogers on Trigger.
Wild Man of Borneo on bongos.
Count Basie Orchestra on triangle.
the Rawlinsons on trombone.
Dan Druff, harp.
And representing the flower people, Quasimodo on bells.
Brainiac on banjo.
Val Doonican as himself.
Zebra Kid and Horace Batchelor on percussion.
J. Arthur Rank, on gong.

Nice....

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: October 29, 2011 10:39

Great with a lot of details but why do we find these everywhere on the web except on Rollingstones.com, official website and Universal Music too. The Stones are in the stone age area witht their website for the informations, just for selling merchandising and records. Music and money start with the same letter. Like Mick too.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: October 29, 2011 10:54

official press release issued by Universal/RS:
ROLLING STONES UNVEIL ARRAY OF VINTAGE UNRELEASED MATERIAL FOR ‘SOME GIRLS’ RELEASE

The Rolling Stones are set to delight their millions of fans, and another generation of new admirers, as they unveil a treasure trove of vintage unreleased material from the ‘Some Girls’ era of 1978.

Comprising an entire album of fresh material, the songs form the second disc on the deluxe edition of the band’s seminal, multi-million-selling 1978 album Some Girls, which is released on November 21. It follows the massive worldwide success and acclaim for Universal’s 2010 reissue of the Stones’ hallowed 1972 set ‘Exile On Main St.’

The appearance of the unreleased tracks on the deluxe ‘Some Girls’ means that after listening to such gems from the original album as ‘Miss You,’ ‘Far Away Eyes,’ ‘Before They Make Me Run’ and ‘Beast Of Burden,’ fans can enjoy a whole new set of contemporaneous work by the Stones. A fresh and compelling collection in its own right, it’s also the perfect complement to one of the band’s best-ever albums.

The unreleased tracks mostly feature performances by the whole band - Mick Jagger on lead vocals, piano, guitars and harmonica; Keith Richards on guitars,piano, harmony vocals (and lead vocal on ‘We Had It All’); Ronnie Wood on pedal steel, electric and slide guitar; and the vintage Stones engine room of Bill Wyman on bass and Charlie Watts on drums.

Produced by the Glimmer Twins, Chris Kimsey and Don Was, the material also includes guest appearances by Stones diehards Ian Stewart and Chuck Leavell on pianos, harmonica player Sugar Blue (who also provided the unforgettable motif on the ‘Some Girls’ smash ‘Miss You’), and for trivia freaks even handclaps on one song by former Creedence Clearwater Revival frontman John Fogerty.

The collection includes a wealth of fine Jagger-Richards compositions along with some fascinating cover versions, collectively reflecting the stripped-down rock ‘n’ roll, blues and country flavours of the famed 1978 album. ‘So Young,’ ‘When You’re Gone’ (co-written by Ronnie Wood), ‘Keep Up Blues’ and ‘Petrol Blues’ all evoke the band’s enduring rhythm and blues roots. ‘Don’t Be A Stranger’ is an infectious shuffle and ‘Love You Too Much’ an archetypal Stones rocker.

‘Do You Think I Really Care,’ with its lyrical imagery of New York City, and the mid-tempo road tale ‘No Spare Parts’ dovetail with ‘Far Away Eyes’ and the ‘Some Girls’ title track in reflecting the band’s longtime love of country music. No Spare Parts will be released as a single.

As if all of that wasn’t enough to keep the hungriest Stones fan happy, there are three exceptional interpretations to add to their long list of distinguished cover versions. Keith takes the lead vocals on ‘We Had It All,’ written by the great Southern songwriters Troy Seals and Donnie Fritts and recorded by such country greats as Waylon Jennings and Conway Twitty. There’s a rocking take on Freddy Cannon’s 1959 favourite ‘Tallahassee Lassie’ and an assured version of the Hank Williams standard ‘You Win Again.’

“It’s wonderful to see the quality of these tracks measuring up to the songs that came out on the original album,” says Ronnie Wood. “It’s an extension of what was going on then,” adds Keith Richards. “Sometimes great stuff gets left behind and it’s great to see it out there.”

www.rollingstones.com
www.facebook.com/therollingstones
[twitter.com]

[www.paulinestroosnijder.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 29, 2011 12:04

Blueranger
As far as I know, it's Chuck on the 1993 version of So Young. I'll bet my two cents that it's the same version as on the Love Is Strong single.

If this is true - plus some of the other fears expressed here - we might finally seen the day when ALO's 'little' tricks in GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! can be forgiven...

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 29, 2011 12:06

Wry Cooter
ineedadrink
on the Japanese bonus track we have:

`Legs' Larry Smith, drums
Sam Spoons, rhythm pole
Vernon Dudley Bohay-Nowell, bass guitar
Neil Innes, piano.
Rodney Slater on the saxophone
Roger Ruskin Spear on tenor sax.
Vivian Stanshall, trumpet.
Big John Wayne, xylophone
Robert Morley, guitar.
Billy Butlin, spoons.
Adolf @#$%& on vibes.
Princess Anne on sousaphone.
Introducing Liberace, clarinet
Garner "Ted" Armstrong on vocals.
Lord Snooty and his pals, tap dancing.
Harold Wilson, violin
Franklin McCormack on harmonica.
Eric Clapton, ukulele.
Sir Kenneth Clark, bass sax.
a session's gorilla on vox humana.
Incredible Shrinking Man on euphonium.
Peter Scott on duck call.
Casanova on horn.
General de Gaulle on accordion.
Roy Rogers on Trigger.
Wild Man of Borneo on bongos.
Count Basie Orchestra on triangle.
the Rawlinsons on trombone.
Dan Druff, harp.
And representing the flower people, Quasimodo on bells.
Brainiac on banjo.
Val Doonican as himself.
Zebra Kid and Horace Batchelor on percussion.
J. Arthur Rank, on gong.

Nice....

"Desolation Row"!

- Doxa

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 29, 2011 12:43

SO YOUNG is 100 % the same version as the Love Is Strong.

Back in 1993 they worked on Some Girls outtakes as they toyed with the idea of putting bonus tracks on the Virgin remasters.

It's very obviously Chuck Leavell playing the piano solo on the 1993 version, so why would he re-do something in 2011 that he did in 1993?

It wouldn't surprise me if a couple of the tracks is actually featuring 1993 overdubs.

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: October 29, 2011 13:34

I wonder why the Universal press release describes every track on the second disc but fails to mention Claudine, the first track on CD2?

Pete.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: October 29, 2011 15:09

Glad to see Sugar Blue and Stu on a few tracks, and so much Wyman bass...I thought we'd get a few Keith/Ronnie basses or more Don Was overdubs.

I agree that taking Keith's vocals off You Win Again is criminal.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: October 29, 2011 17:14

OneHit
I agree that taking Keith's vocals off You Win Again is criminal.
Payback for You Got The Silver...

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: October 29, 2011 18:25

No Fiji Jim is surprising. Unless it was recorded for Emotional Rescue. So now we have 3 Deluxe releases. GYYYO, EOMS and now SG. So...any one care to guess as to which album we will see next time? Tattoo You is one I not sure about. It was one of the best. Made up of left-overs! Of course other albums have featured unfinish songs in the past. Sticky Fingers had 3 songs recorded in '69 and played on the '70 tour. Along with Dead Flowers. What about the songs left in the vault from the Forty Licks sessions? Keith and Chuck both have been quoted as to the quality of those songs, hoping that they will see the light of day.
I am surprised that some are shocked by Mick's tinkering with the songs...he is the quintessence of a control freak.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 29, 2011 18:45

WilliamPatrickMaynard
I don't understand why people are shocked to find Matt Clifford on here. He's all over STEEL WHEELS, FLASHPOINT, and contributed to the FOUR NEW LICKS and to two tracks on A BIGGER BANG. I'm pretty sure he was involved with Don Was in going through the tapes for EXILE RARITIES, too

Just....because!

Date: October 29, 2011 18:56

deeppurple
No Fiji Jim is surprising. Unless it was recorded for Emotional Rescue. So now we have 3 Deluxe releases. GYYYO, EOMS and now SG. So...any one care to guess as to which album we will see next time?

Goats Head Soup or Emotional Rescue. GHS we know has at least two finished tracks and there are still...what was the math...approximately 36 out of the supposed 45 songs recorded during the ER sessions that weren't released on that album that could be finished or are finished (some, of course, not all).

Then there are the cover songs recorded for the initial covers/live album that turned into IORR...

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: October 29, 2011 23:38

deeppurple
Sticky Fingers had 3 songs recorded in '69 and played on the '70 tour. Along with Dead Flowers.
Sister Morphine was also recorded in '69.

Date: October 29, 2011 23:41

DragonSky
deeppurple
No Fiji Jim is surprising. Unless it was recorded for Emotional Rescue. So now we have 3 Deluxe releases. GYYYO, EOMS and now SG. So...any one care to guess as to which album we will see next time?

Goats Head Soup or Emotional Rescue. GHS we know has at least two finished tracks and there are still...what was the math...approximately 36 out of the supposed 45 songs recorded during the ER sessions that weren't released on that album that could be finished or are finished (some, of course, not all).

Then there are the cover songs recorded for the initial covers/live album that turned into IORR...

Doesnt matter if they recorded 100 songs for Emotional Rescue. Its not an album that warrants a deluxe release. Its not an 'iconic' record, it would figure pretty low in most Stones fans polls of favourite albums and there would be no demand for it.

There wasnt even a single concert or TV appearance that they could use as bonus video content either.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: October 30, 2011 01:15

Hey all
My friend seems to feel that the extended versioms of Miss You and Everything's Turning to Gold will be included on the non vinyl editions...has anyone else heard this?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 30, 2011 01:28

Gazza
DragonSky
deeppurple

Doesnt matter if they recorded 100 songs for Emotional Rescue. Its not an album that warrants a deluxe release. Its not an 'iconic' record, it would figure pretty low in most Stones fans polls of favourite albums and there would be no demand for it.

who asked you?

Date: October 30, 2011 01:28

Cafaro
Hey all
My friend seems to feel that the extended versioms of Miss You and Everything's Turning to Gold will be included on the non vinyl editions...has anyone else heard this?

yes. i also heard your friend feels that....

Date: October 30, 2011 01:34

StonesTod
Gazza
DragonSky
deeppurple

who asked you?

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: October 30, 2011 02:23

Gazza
Cafaro
Has anyone else noticed how much When You're Gone sounds like Woody's RedEyes?

Er, yes. Its the same song.

I understand that, yes. Does anyone know the story behind it ala Act Together?

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: October 30, 2011 16:30

I would think at some point the songs from the Forty Licks sessions will surface. Mick Jagger and Mick Taylor put together some amazing songs during Keith's absence while recording GHS. I think Keith shoved them aside. He even a few years earlier wiped Taylor's backing Vocals from Sway and over-dubbed his. Btw, I agree about ER never getting the deluxe treatment. They did not tour behind it. That sums it up.

Date: October 30, 2011 16:41

deeppurple
Btw, I agree about ER never getting the deluxe treatment. They did not tour behind it. That sums it up.

they didn't tour behind beggars banquet...just not good enough, i guess.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 30, 2011 16:46

Is there really a Japanese version with a bonus track? The suspense is killin' me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-30 16:47 by shadooby.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 30, 2011 16:49

StonesTod
deeppurple
Btw, I agree about ER never getting the deluxe treatment. They did not tour behind it. That sums it up.

they didn't tour behind beggars banquet...just not good enough, i guess.

does that mean Sticky Fingers is also crap?

Next your going to say Dirty Work sucks!

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: October 30, 2011 17:51

To make it more interesting they should have put the 8-track versions of Miss You, Beast Of Burden and Shattered on CD1, maybe even the eight minute 12 inch version of Miss You, and surely Everything Is Turning To Gold belongs on a Some Girls deluxe edition along with the promo-single mix of Before They Make Me Run!

Date: October 30, 2011 18:10

Gazza
DragonSky
deeppurple

There wasnt even a single concert or TV appearance that they could use as bonus video content either.

For Mick Jagger it might matter enough to deluxe it seeing it was their longest number one album ever. That means it was a great album if you go by his standards. Although other standards he has would bring it down a bit since it didn't sell as many copies as Some Girls.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: October 30, 2011 19:19

Pete66
To make it more interesting they should have put the 8-track versions of Miss You, Beast Of Burden and Shattered on CD1, maybe even the eight minute 12 inch version of Miss You, and surely Everything Is Turning To Gold belongs on a Some Girls deluxe edition along with the promo-single mix of Before They Make Me Run!

thumbs up

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 31, 2011 02:17

"covers/live album that turned into IORR..."

What, never heard that story before ?! Other than that Dobie Gray track...darn, what is it called..."Drift Away", was there any other cover they recorded at that time, ok, "Ain't Too Proud to Beg".

Good guess on "Don't be a Stranger" being "Don't You Get Enough", not much of a shuffle though, the review by Carla Hay sounds closer :

"Don’t Be A Stranger (Total running time: 4:06)
It’s not a reggae song, but it has a reggae vibe. “Don’t Be a Stranger” is another mid-tempo number that has a simple and catchy chorus. The melodies have a sing-song, lilting quality to it that match the carefree, inviting spirit of the lyrics. For example, the opening lines are: “I haven’t seen your face for years. I thought you had just disappeared. Don’t you worry. What are friends for? You can call me up most anytime. I never go to bed ‘til 5. Don’t be stranger. Just knock on my door … Don’t be a stranger, a stranger no more.”

Ah there's a thread here [www.iorr.org]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1389
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home