Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill about Charlie in the 80's -
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 2, 2017 14:49

Charlie seemed pretty stoned

[youtu.be]

Re: Bill about Charlie in the 80's -
Date: July 2, 2017 15:06

Bill was on a roll there smiling smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 2, 2017 17:27

Jeez, seems like a cruel story to tell about poor Charlie.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 2, 2017 17:39

keefriff99
Jeez, seems like a cruel story to tell about poor Charlie.

They're best mates. I'm sure he's forgiven him. smiling smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 2, 2017 17:48

I think Letterman and the audience misunderstood the story.
Don't think it's a drug story. More about the chaos of life on the road and trying to keep things normal.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 2, 2017 18:22

That's a great interview, thank's Joker.
Bill always came across as a strong personality in interviews, he doesn't show any sign of nerves. That David Letterman always irritates me, he butts in all the time trying to be funny when people try to tell a story.
This story about Charlie, i'm just wondering if Charlie at some point before the mid 80's consumed more drugs than is thought. I'm aware of his troubles in the 80's but this interview with Bill suggests Charlie was doing drugs earlier.
I have a friend doctor who treated Charlie when he broke his leg in the mid 80's, he said Charlie was completely off his trolley. He said he was weird, must have been when he was trying out Heroin.
Fascinating that after all those years of abstaining and watching Keith and co doing drugs, Charlie decides to have a go in his late 40's. I wonder what the trigger was, inactivity or something i suppose.

Date: July 2, 2017 22:23

stone4ever
Bill always came across as a strong personality in interviews, he doesn't show any sign of nerves. That David Letterman always irritates me, he butts in all the time trying to be funny when people try to tell a story.
This story about Charlie, i'm just wondering if Charlie at some point before the mid 80's consumed more drugs than is thought. I'm aware of his troubles in the 80's but this interview with Bill suggests Charlie was doing drugs earlier.
I have a friend doctor who treated Charlie when he broke his leg in the mid 80's, he said Charlie was completely off his trolley. He said he was weird, must have been when he was trying out Heroin.
Fascinating that after all those years of abstaining and watching Keith and co doing drugs, Charlie decides to have a go in his late 40's. I wonder what the trigger was, inactivity or something i suppose.

Charlie was quite exhuberant then
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 2, 2017 23:46

does anyone else find Bill's Charlie story a bit suspect?

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 3, 2017 00:31

duke richardson

Its like he was having a game and switched keith's name to Charlie lol.
Probably the stories based in truth, unlike Bill to be prone to exaggeration on this level. Me think's he was winding David Letterman up a bit, he was put on the spot with Letterman asking him to come up with a funny story.

Date: July 3, 2017 00:39

duke richardson

No. In his Life autobiography, Richards reckons that on average, he slept only two nights a week for many years of the Stones’ glory years.

So actually Charlie behaved very lazy by missing only 4 nights sleep in a row for once in a lifetime.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 3, 2017 00:47

duke richardson

He says they were in Toronto recording once. Any idea what that might of been?

Date: July 3, 2017 04:52

The Joker
stone4ever

Charlie was quite exhuberant then
[www.youtube.com]
This clip has always disturbed me. Charlie looks like a vampire and is acting buffoonish, totally out of character. Definitely a low point in his life.

Date: July 3, 2017 04:53

wonderboy
Don't think it's a drug story. More about the chaos of life on the road and trying to keep things normal.
I don't think so. Staying awake for days and then nodding off like that has a very specific meaning, and we know Charlie was going up and down with amphetamines and heroin.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 3, 2017 06:05

keefriff99
wonderboy
I don't think so. Staying awake for days and then nodding off like that has a very specific meaning, and we know Charlie was going up and down with amphetamines and heroin.

Maybe. But I don't think Bill would make him look bad like that. I think the point of the story is that Charlie is an eccentric man, which has always been true. There is another story Bill told later, after he had left the band, when he rang Charlie to talk about cricket and Charlie didn't know where he was. So Charlie put the phone down and went ask what city they were in. South America, someplace, is what I remember.
Also I don't think the Stones were touring when Charlie was using.

Date: July 3, 2017 06:42

wonderboy
keefriff99
wonderboy

Maybe. But I don't think Bill would make him look bad like that. I think the point of the story is that Charlie is an eccentric man, which has always been true. There is another story Bill told later, after he had left the band, when he rang Charlie to talk about cricket and Charlie didn't know where he was. So Charlie put the phone down and went ask what city they were in. South America, someplace, is what I remember.
Also I don't think the Stones were touring when Charlie was using.
Maybe so, but just knowing what Charlie was going through at the time of the interview, it doesn't sit well.

I've seen people on here say Charlie was using in the '70s, which I never considered before. I guess no one really knows the truth except Stones insiders.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 3, 2017 10:02

Interesting to see the comments here, as opposed to how the video was first commented on when I posted it a couple months ago.

"Charlie seemed pretty stoned"

Huh? Where was Charlie? It was Bill being interviewed, telling some stories: [iorr.org]

Yeah, you see Bill being interviewed on TV and it's almost like you were there... with Charlie. Oh, well confused smiley

Date: July 3, 2017 14:48

stonehearted - you made a point

You posted it first, and you titled your thread with more objectivity

thumbs up

Date: July 3, 2017 15:21

;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-04 12:58 by The Joker.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 3, 2017 17:30

Funny. Bill was hilarious.

Date: July 3, 2017 17:31

More Hot Rocks
duke richardson

He says they were in Toronto recording once. Any idea what that might of been?

March 1977.

Date: July 3, 2017 17:34

With the Letterman interview over instead of playing In Another Land (or a Wyman song at all) they played Honky Tonk Women. LAME!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 3, 2017 21:18

...play "In Another Land"...?
grinning smiley
I know what you mean but it would be a stretch to pull that one off ..

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 4, 2017 21:39

It is just an old interview, nothing more. Harmless. Fun. Nothing more.

PS. I have met both Bill and Charlie a few times when street walking, during all the tours. There are many stories to be told, another time. In short, they are normal people, a lot more normal than expected. They talk about "you and me" normal stuff. And a bit fun topics too...

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-04 21:42 by bv.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 4, 2017 21:51

Ooooh, the decade. I thought you meant their ages! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: July 5, 2017 00:12

In that Ginger TV 1999 Doku, Charlie was asked if he ever had been 'potty'. And he really became very serious on this, saying, that he was not very good at drugs and that when he did them, he "went completely berserk".

It was not good for him or his relations, not at all, and that he almost lost everything then. "Yea ... yeah, it really @#$%& me up."

So Charlie did drugs; more than one would think. He even did horse. Thankfully, he came over it. My deepest respect for him getting out of this and we can't imagine what we would have lost if he hadn't found a way to skip it.

What a man, what a drummer! thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1491
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home