Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

guaranteed to happen a few decades from now
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 26, 2011 12:44

The latter-day work (post 1983) that is so put upon will eventually be regarded as treasures...the rock critics of 2038 will be fawning all over Steel Wheels and A Bigger Bang...

Re: guaranteed to happen a few decades from now
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 26, 2011 13:05

Probably, but I'm diggin them now.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 26, 2011 13:48

A film can will come to light of London Palladium and other treasures (including Hartnell/Troughton Doctor Who).

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 26, 2011 14:42

With technology and trends changing as fast as they are, I kind of doubt if people will be playing instruments in the future. Therefore, I don't think there would be interest in Rock And Roll. Then again I could be way off.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 26, 2011 14:49

Rock N Roll was a fad expected to last for a few months.[as were the stones.]

They've now been builing Fender Telecasters for 60 years and, although I won't be here to see it, I expect they'll be building them in another 60.

[Including Vintage re-issues...made from real trees ! ]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 26, 2011 15:50

The rock historians of 2038 (I doubt there will be any "critics", because I doubt there will be any new rock music to critique) will listen to the latter day Stones albums, read what the critics of today had to say about them, and will come to the conclusion that the critics of today were correct in their judgements.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 26, 2011 15:52

The GR
A film can will come to light of London Palladium and other treasures (including Hartnell/Troughton Doctor Who).

Footage of Hartnell/Troughton DR Who is still around. The first episode An Unearthly Child was shown on TV back in the 80s.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: October 26, 2011 19:30

If the past and current is anything to judge by, I donĀ“t know.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: October 26, 2011 20:03

frankotero
With technology and trends changing as fast as they are, I kind of doubt if people will be playing instruments in the future. Therefore, I don't think there would be interest in Rock And Roll. Then again I could be way off.

You're definitely way off. They were predicting the end of guitars during the early 80s, & even if they do disappear people will still love the music. There's probably a higher percentage of young (teens / 20s) people digging the music of the 50s, 60s & 70s than ever before.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 26, 2011 20:10

Time will alter everything. The prejudices surrounding rock and pop music will be softened. Some of the works of Hendrix, The Beatles, and the Stones will be seen in their proper contexts as fine compositions. I remember the Doors being perceived as some of gimmicky Alice Cooperish group the fist few years after Morrison's death. Then his and the group's image was resurrected with Apocalypse Now.

I think the 60s rock artists as a group will be seen in the same high esteem as the Impressionists of the late 1800s. With so much material to choose from, I doubt that there will be many tracks after 1989 that will considered in the upper echelon of Stones material. Especially since most of it is echoes earlier works. With no one left to batter him, Brian Jones reputation as a special, but troubled musician will be secure.

Scott Fitzgerald died of a massive heart attack at the age of 44, in 1940, a virtually forgotten man who had been overshadowed by Ernest Hemingway. Now they're making movies out of his short stories (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), while Hemingway is seen as an over compensating macho blow hard who is more remembered as a writer for his influential style than for his work.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 26, 2011 20:13

24FPS
while Hemingway is seen as an over compensating macho blow hard who is more remembered as a writer for his influential style than for his work.

...but a role-model for the most interesting man in the world....

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 26, 2011 21:23

frankotero
With technology and trends changing as fast as they are, I kind of doubt if people will be playing instruments in the future.

I beg to differ Frank:

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 27, 2011 13:20

Silver Dagger

Yes I have the existent Hartnell/Troughton stuff but there's still lots missing presumed wiped.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 27, 2011 13:47

frankotero

Kraftwerk will be proven right! The ManMachine will take over!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 27, 2011 15:50

right or wrong i've always thought that when the Stones stopped producing new music that their entire catalog would be re-examined with a fine tooth comb...and there would be greater appreciation for songs that were overlooked because the obvious hits overshadowed them.

I think it's sort of happened with UNDERCOVER. With long gaps between new releases...I'm surprised it hasn't happened more.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: October 27, 2011 19:09

Send It To me
The latter-day work (post 1983) that is so put upon will eventually be regarded as treasures...the rock critics of 2038 will be fawning all over Steel Wheels and A Bigger Bang...

I hardly doubt that will happen, most of the "classic albums" were regarded as that when they were released, except for maybe Exile which was later regarded as the masterpiece it is, now it's been almost 30 years since Undercover and no critic has ever regarded that one as a classic. Besides there are much, much better albums by other bands that were released in the same time frame, what makes you think that people will pay attention to these minor releases by a band that was crusing on auto-pilot?

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: October 28, 2011 02:12

Silver Dagger
The GR

Footage of Hartnell/Troughton DR Who is still around. The first episode An Unearthly Child was shown on TV back in the 80s.

I think the reference was to the many episodes that have never been recovered.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 28, 2011 02:45

Send It To me

Are you saying this because you weren't born when they were at their peak, and you'd like to think that the music they put out during your lifetime was actually important?

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 28, 2011 02:48

animal
they are Deidre, good for them. I respect good honest scottish football..
but i must also point out that Liverbool are starting to show their claws!

"li ver pool, aaayyyooohhh"

Huh?

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 28, 2011 03:03

loog droog
Send It To me

Are you saying this because you weren't born when they were at their peak, and you'd like to think that the music they put out during your lifetime was actually important?

Maybe. I think about it differently. I have an emotional connection to Steel Wheels - because I bought it and got excited about when I was 13 - that you don't have.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-28 03:04 by Send It To me.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: October 28, 2011 05:07

something great like black & blue may gain more appreciation, but the vegas trash will still be trash.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 28, 2011 05:25

To go in reverse for the hell of it, imagine if the Stones were playing SFTD in Florence way back, and Savonarola just happened to be strolling thru the plaza.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 29, 2011 00:57

Send It To me
loog droog
Send It To me

Maybe. I think about it differently. I have an emotional connection to Steel Wheels - because I bought it and got excited about when I was 13 - that you don't have.

OK, I think you've just proved my theory.

Date: October 29, 2011 01:34

I don't think you can measure 10 years from now/today, in equal terms as you view today, compared to 10 years ago.
Technology is sky rocketing the ratio.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1216
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home