Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A rare slide guitar lesson from Lowell George!
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 26, 2011 07:48

I love this clip from strange German interview of Little Feat, it is misleadingly titled but a true treasure to find on Youtube!
Lowell is perhaps the ONLY guitar player that I NEVER get tired of listening to. Gets very close to the center of my soul with every little fill he plays. I miss him to this day and credit him for opening up my ears to this kind of jug music. Imagine what he would haver been like as MT's replacement in 1975. Whoo Hoo!

As a side note , wondering if Little Feat is/was as popular in Europe as with my homies here in California? peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-26 18:50 by Naturalust.

Re: A rare slide guitar lesson from Lowell George!
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 26, 2011 10:45

Little Feat is very popular in Japan.
I always dream if Stones could cover their Willin'.

Posted by: pagodapete ()
Date: October 26, 2011 11:25

Lowell George, what a great guy. (plus he Made fat look reeeallyy sexy!!! >grinning smiley<)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 26, 2011 11:36

hey thanks for posting that clip Naturalust ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: October 26, 2011 13:31

thanks Naturalust
never had the chance to listen to Little Feat or Lowell George before ...

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: October 26, 2011 16:32

great clip . he never lost his cigarette while singing ha ha .
little feat was huge in europe, right from the start , i even got into robert palmer throug his album with little feat "sneaking sally through the alley" (did they play on two of his?)

lowell george lives on through his apprentice bonnie raitt who plays uncannily like the master himself.

ive not long ago downloaded waiting for columbus .i bought the vinyl double album on its release . but hadnt lisned to it for decades . a spectacular album , by any standards

rocket in my pocket is far superior on that album , but in the video it isnt lowell singing though isnt it ?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 26, 2011 16:59

Great slide player. Somewhere between Cooder and Taylor.
Past away too early.

I remember this concert very well:

Date: October 26, 2011 18:12

straycatblues73
, i even got into robert palmer throug his album with little feat "sneaking sally through the alley" (did they play on two of his?)

Lowell George produced that record for Mr. Palmer, played on almost every track. I love the 3 songs that blend together as one from that album....Sailin Shoes, Hey Julia, and Sneakin Sally through the Alley, sounds like Robert Palmer with Little Feat as a back up band but the band was elsewhere, it's just Lowell and some friends from New Orleans.

straycatblues73

lowell george lives on through his apprentice bonnie raitt who plays uncannily like the master himself.

Yes indeed, she gives him credit for teaching her slide guitar, certainly the open G tuning. She tries to play like Lowell but in my humble opinion doesn't get anywhere close to his mastery of the electric slide guitar. She does play an early 70's Fender Stratocaster with high action like Lowell but she uses a broken off top of a green wine bottle (bottleneck) as her slide of choice. She gets them at McCabe's guitar shop in Santa Monica. Interestingly the only song they wrote together is called "I feel the same", a rather cliche blues rock tune that came out on one of Bonnie's records. A good tune though.

straycatblues73

rocket in my pocket is far superior on that album , but in the video it isnt lowell singing though isnt it ?

The clip I posted has a version of Rocket in My Pocket from the Lowell George tribute album that was done about 12 years ago. So that IS NOT him playing OR singing. I think it is David Lindley if memory serves me today. Yes the Little Feat version is much better. That tribute album doies have a coupla gems on it , Bonnie doing "cold, cold, cold" and Lowell's daughter singing one that will break your heart, or at least Rockman's heart, a good thing his is so big and resillient.

btw: the tuning Lowell is using on the white Stratocaster is open A. Thats the same as open G but tuned UP a whole step to get more string tension. E,A,E,A,F#,E low to high. It sure works for Mr. George. , gotta love that tone , just him playing alone. You can tell it is moving the rest of the band too. peace.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: October 26, 2011 18:45

Thanks for posting Naturlust. Lowell G. has been a fave for along time. Did you really mean to say " Imagine what he would haver been like as Brians replacement in 1975. Whoo Hoo!"

Date: October 26, 2011 18:52

Stones62
Thanks for posting Naturlust. Lowell G. has been a fave for along time. Did you really mean to say " Imagine what he would haver been like as Brians replacement in 1975. Whoo Hoo!"

nope MT was what I was thinkin, thx for cathin that before I lost the two thin strands of credibility I have on this board. whew. Whoo Hoo! peace.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: October 26, 2011 19:04

Naturalust
straycatblues73
, i even got into robert palmer throug his album with little feat "sneaking sally through the alley" (did they play on two of his?)

Lowell George produced that record for Mr. Palmer, played on almost every track. I love the 3 songs that blend together as one from that album....Sailin Shoes, Hey Julia, and Sneakin Sally through the Alley, sounds like Robert Palmer with Little Feat as a back up band but the band was elsewhere, it's just Lowell and some friends from New Orleans.

straycatblues73

Yes indeed, she gives him credit for teaching her slide guitar, certainly the open G tuning. She tries to play like Lowell but in my humble opinion doesn't get anywhere close to his mastery of the electric slide guitar. She does play an early 70's Fender Stratocaster with high action like Lowell but she uses a broken off top of a green wine bottle (bottleneck) as her slide of choice. She gets them at McCabe's guitar shop in Santa Monica. Interestingly the only song they wrote together is called "I feel the same", a rather cliche blues rock tune that came out on one of Bonnie's records. A good tune though.

straycatblues73

The clip I posted has a version of Rocket in My Pocket from the Lowell George tribute album that was done about 12 years ago. So that IS NOT him playing OR singing. I think it is David Lindley if memory serves me today. Yes the Little Feat version is much better. That tribute album doies have a coupla gems on it , Bonnie doing "cold, cold, cold" and Lowell's daughter singing one that will break your heart, or at least Rockman's heart, a good thing his is so big and resillient.

btw: the tuning Lowell is using on the white Stratocaster is open A. Thats the same as open G but tuned UP a whole step to get more string tension. E,A,E,A,F#,E low to high. It sure works for Mr. George. , gotta love that tone , just him playing alone. You can tell it is moving the rest of the band too. peace.

cheers ,man , for the responses

didnt know about the tribute album , gotta check it out (btw im also a fan of david lindley )

as for bonnies slide playing , its not the great man himself but i think its the closest anyone can do , and im thankful .the green light album especially.
both adopt the " less is more " attitude , why play a hundred notes when one long sustained note is just wonderful !

ive noticed that the video and the album track of a apolitical blues with mick taylor have two different endings .
edited from after the first instrumental verse.
did MT play another show or would that be maybe the ending edit from the rehearsal recordings ?

Date: October 26, 2011 19:28

Amsterdamned
I remember this concert very well:

thx brother, that must have been sweet to see live. They had the groove thing nailed. Makes me a bit pissed that they didn't take it too far from this 1976 live thing. Billy Payne says he died from a speedball, one minute here the next his big ole heart stopped. Shit. Anyway he lives on through his influence on me and many others , great version of cold, cold, cold. peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-26 23:45 by Naturalust.

Date: October 27, 2011 04:18

Here is Little Feat doing the song Lowell eluded to in the German interview above, China White. peace.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home