Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 2012 RS Tour
Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:45

GOTTA KEEP THIS GROUND-BREAKING THREAD ALIVE NO MATTER WHAT!

(Excerpted from the great Time Is On Our Side to show 2001-2011 parallels...

Charlie Watts on the road with his own group? Check.

Ronnie Wood also active? Check

Mick Jagger abortive non-Stones project? Check

Keith Richards the least active by far? Check

The only difference is that we're way ahead of the Licks pace.

Mick could've been doing stuff with SuperHeavy until Feb 2012, but perhaps Damian upon reflection
just didn't want to be used as publicity for the stones 50th)

October 2001: Mick Jagger tapes a videoclip for God Gave Me Everything in Los Angeles.

October 12, 2001: The Charlie Watts Tentet performs in Cardiff, Wales.

Mick Jagger (October 2001): The Rolling Stones next year!

I don't think (Keith) was mad at all (about me doing a solo album this year). We're going to
be working next year which is coming up to our 40th anniversary... I think there
should be something new and good out there but what it's going to be, I don't know...
The last tour was so long, I don't think Keith and Ronnie would want to do that again.
A tour like that becomes a test of how strong you can be. It becomes a fitness thing,
which isn't really where you want to be. The 40th anniversary is a good party to give,
hopefully there will be something happening... I don't think there will be a completely new
studio album.

October 29-November 3, 2001: The Charlie Watts Tentet perform at the Blue Note in Tokyo, Japan.

November 2-3, 2001: Mick Jagger promotes his upcoming album in Cologne, Germany and Amsterdam, Netherlands.

November 6-11, 2001: The Charlie Watts Tentet perform at the Blue Note in New York City. Keith Richards attends the
first night's performance.

November 12, 2001: Mick Jagger's fourth solo album, Goddess in the Doorway, is released on Virgin Records.

November 15, 2001: Mick Jagger performs a single concert to present his new album, at the El Rey Club in Los Angeles.

November 19, 2001: Ron Wood's sixth solo album, and first in nine years, Not For Beginners, is released.

December 2, 2001: Mick Jagger performs God Gave Me Everything with Lenny Kravitz on U.S. TV's VH-1 Music
Awards in Los Angeles.

December 8, 2001: Mick Jagger appears on U.S. TV's Saturday Night Live from New York City, performing and
participating in skits. Ron Wood performs a solo concert in Dublin, Ireland, with Slash of Guns 'N Roses on board.

December 11-12, 2001: Ron Wood performs at Shepherds Bush Empire and the CC Club in London, England. He also
tapes an appearance on UK TV's Jools Holland's Annual Hootenanny.

December 14, 2001: Ron Wood performs on UK TV's Friday Night with Jonathan Ross.

January 9, 2002: Ron Wood jams onstage with a local band in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Mid-January 2002: Mick Jagger shoots a videoclip for Visions of Paradise in Los Angeles. He also adds his voice to an
episode of U.S. TV's The Simpsons (as does Keith Richards), for a November 2002 episode focusing on the Rolling Stones.

January 19, 2002: Mick Jagger performs on French television to promote Goddess In The Doorway.

January 25, 2002: Ron Wood performs with The Corrs in Bray, Ireland for a filmed/recorded concert.

January 26, 2002: Mick Jagger performs on German television.

February 7, 2002: Mick Jagger takes part in another live chat on the internet to promote his solo album.

February 12, 2002: Ron Wood performs with Jools Holland's band at the Royal Albert Hall in London, England.

Late February-early March 2002: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards work on demos at the latter's home in
Ocho Rios, Jamaica, for the Rolling Stones' upcoming recording sessions.

April 14, 2002: Keith Richards performs with Willie Nelson at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee.

May 7, 2002: The Rolling Stones arrive in Van Cortlandt Park in New York City by blimp and hold a press
conference to announce the band's 2002-03 world tour.

Keith Richards, Charlie Watts & Mick Jagger (May 2002)

Keith: The last tour ended in 1999, and I thought, I probably won't get a phone call for about 18 months.
And, sure enough, slightly after (18 months had passed), Mick calls up and goes, Do you think we should
do something next year? I just wait for people to get antsy at home.

Charlie: No, this won't be the last tour. What I said before is, If it's the last tour, fine. But it probably won't be
the last time we'll play. The last tour was two years long. I don't think we can do a 2-year tour again. Who knows?
When we started the last one, it was for a year. Something happened in the middle and it went on for two.

Mick: People started asking Is this going to be your last tour? in 1966 - I distinctly remember that. I'm not the Oracle of Delphi...

May 13-June 7, 2002: The Rolling Stones record new material for the first time in five years, at
Guillaume Tell Studios in Suresne, France, to accompany the upcoming greatest hits package.

Mick Jagger & Ron Wood (July 2002)

Mick: After we've said hello we might play some blues or something. It doesn't take long to get acquainted. I spend
a lot of time with Ronnie and Charlie. I don't see Keith much - he lives in Connecticut - but I saw him a couple of months
ago, so it's all very normal.

Ron: You just slip into them. There's a few jokes - though since I've straightened up, I'm not so much of a jester as I used
to be - then you walk up to your instruments and it's like no time has gone by.

Keith Richards & Mick Jagger ( July 2002):

Keith: We felt we had to put on two or three new tracks in a to be continued kind of spirit. I didn't want it to be all just nostalgia.
Also, I didn't want to turn up for rehearsals for this tour without having played together with everybody since the end of the last tour.
Playing new music really tightens the band up. Getting everybody together for a month in Paris, I didn't mind if we came out with
no tracks at all. But as it turned out, we came out with 30 tracks! Everyone's got their chops together and they're really looking
forward to this tour. It's not just a regurgitation. It's still a working band.

Mick: I think what's important to me is that I'm personally writing new songs and the band is cutting new songs.

June 14, 2002: At Queen Elizabeth II's birthday honours list, it is announced Mick Jagger will be knighted. (Keith 2012?)

Keith: Mick's got an ego. I insult the man. But he has the hide of a rhino, and he's just determined to be who he is. But then,
what do you do with lead vocalists? They're fairies. You've got to let them have their head and then rein them in. It's basically
a continual jousting.

Mick: Keith has his own personality and he likes to make his own noise. I think Keith feels it's mandatory to keep his image by
doing that. We have a pretty mature relationship. Otherwise we wouldn't be working almost every day together. We agree on
just about everything.

July 12, 2002: The 40th anniversary date of the Rolling Stones' first ever concert, at the Marquee Club in London,
England.

July 15-18, 2002: For the third world tour in a row, the Rolling Stones set up camp for rehearsals in Toronto, Canada.

Mick Jagger (July 2002):

It's not really a 40th anniversary tour for starters. I think that's a couple of years away. The history books say 1962?
Well, Charlie wasn't in the band then.

Keith Richards & Ron Wood (August 2002):

Keith: If we're going to do this, we need to put more ammo in the magazine. It also brings a lot of threads back to things you've
done but thought, Oh, that was then. Here I am, playing Heart of Stone, and suddenly a bit of you goes back to when you
were writing it: I didn't realize it was this good.

Ron: We've been this loose in rehearsal before, but there is something magical about these rehearsals which I've never seen.
We just about nailed every song on Exile. We're doing I Got the Blues with four horns. It's such a buzz. And you see the honesty
that's coming out. Mick is singing full tilt all the time. A lot of vocalists would go, It's not the show yet, I'll just brush over that bit.
He's IN there, man.

August 14, 2002: The Rolling Stones announce their world tour will be titled Licks, after their upcoming greatest hits package Forty Licks.

August 16, 2002: The Rolling Stones are back onstage performing their now-traditional, pre-tour intimate rehearsal concert at the Palais
Royale in Toronto.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-26 04:05 by nocomment.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: October 26, 2011 04:25

I have always said there will be another ROLLING STONES tour and I'm sticking with it come heck or high water. Hopefully news will be coming soon that will confirm it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-26 04:26 by RSbestbandever.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 26, 2011 05:06

I think the Vegas formula will be problematic this time around. People are sick of it and it will highlight Keith's inability to play that much more than the last time round.

I fear the stripped-down band is an impossibility for the same reasons.

We all love the way the Rolling Stones can play rock'n'roll live with some added special 'swing,' but are those days over also?

I don't really know who the "Stereophonics" are but I stumbled across this on YouTube:

Technically, the performance is awesome. You can feel the flaming youth. It might not have 'swing' but the playing is great and has some bite to it and they really _play_.

I don't think the Rolling Stones can do that anymore, play a song from start to end and play all the chords and lead notes as a coherent _song_.

I wish that the Rolling Stones could play Gimme Shelter as well as the Stereophonics can. I know it sounds funny to say that but it's true.

I say no tour, but the one or two world-wide broadcasts for charity a la Live Aid sounds like the right formula to me. They could make it into a kind of Stones mini-festival and invite Paul McCartney, Mick taylor, Bill Wyman, etc. Do a six hour show with some interesting combinations and permutations. With the Stones opening and closing, with some interesting guest artists taking over the stage in between. For example, a big surprise: U2 comes on in the middle of the show and does a one and one-half hour set spiked with a lot of Stones tunes.

That would be the way for the Stones to go out, in a 21st century mini rock festival for charity kind of way. They could even close with 2000 Man. Now that would blow a few minds!

Thank you boys, you have enriched all of our lives. I can't imagine a world without the Rolling Stones! I shed a tear because it means "the end of my youth."

MileHigh

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: October 26, 2011 05:53

confused smiley

really again..... Boring

Date: October 26, 2011 06:15

MileHigh
I don't really know who the "Stereophonics" are but I stumbled across this on YouTube:

Technically, the performance is awesome. You can feel the flaming youth. It might not have 'swing' but the playing is great and has some bite to it and they really _play_.

I don't think the Rolling Stones can do that anymore

dunno. didnt find that Stereophonics performance awesome at all. just more of the
same. bet the stones can still do it better than that in terms of excitement.

think the problem is the form of the music itself. the "rock and roll" form is
just starting to sound too antique. ac/dc and bon jovi can get away with it
because 1) of how dedicated and supersweet they have always been to their fans,
something that jagger has always felt was very false, and 2) a relatively high
degree of technical proficiency, which has never been the stones thing, even
in their heyday.

think the only ace up their sleeve is that it would really mean a lot to people
if mick and keith somehow really got it together consistently as friends during
the course of this affair. guessing: that genuine closeness and warmth on
their part could compensate for any other failings. but has mick gotten over
his need to provoke anger as a way to make art? and has keith gotten over
his addiction to being angered as his source of motivation? and without this
co-dependent habit, are they still the stones? hope so, because its hard to see
what other rabbit might be in their hat.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-26 06:21 by nocomment.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: October 26, 2011 08:48

Dont forget they all have health issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-26 08:49 by tipps.

Date: October 26, 2011 09:21

tipps
Dont forget they all have health issues.

This is a few times now someone mentioning them all having health issues.
With regard to Mick, is this his throat/voice history, or something else?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 26, 2011 14:07

Thats basically it, yes.

Following medical advice, he wont/cant sing for two nights in a row since summer 2003.

Even despite those precautions, and whilst some of it may just be down to bad luck, he's certainly pulled out of more shows on recent tours with voice problems than he ever had done before.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 26, 2011 14:58

Which is why the stick he's taken on these pages in recent years for a lack of aggression & power in his vocals is unjustified.

He's needed to look after the voice better...or risk cancelling half the bloody tour.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: October 26, 2011 15:24

MileHigh

I say no tour, but the one or two world-wide broadcasts for charity a la Live Aid sounds like the right formula to me. They could make it into a kind of Stones mini-festival and invite Paul McCartney, Mick taylor, Bill Wyman, etc. Do a six hour show with some interesting combinations and permutations. With the Stones opening and closing, with some interesting guest artists taking over the stage in between. For example, a big surprise: U2 comes on in the middle of the show and does a one and one-half hour set spiked with a lot of Stones tunes.

MileHigh

That is certainly a very cool idea MileHigh. Can't see why they wouldn't want to bring together as many of the musicians they've worked with over the years. Maybe a few quality "younger bands" there too, just to "pass it on".

Date: October 26, 2011 15:43

Spud
Which is why the stick he's taken on these pages in recent years for a lack of aggression & power in his vocals is unjustified.

He's needed to look after the voice better...or risk cancelling half the bloody tour.

a point we've been making for years, to no avail. if he don't sing like
"i got the blues" (which is exactly what wrecked his instrument) hardcore
fans are gonna bitch.

Date: October 26, 2011 15:48

Gazza
Following medical advice, he wont/cant sing for two nights in a row since summer 2003.

Assuming this situation has not improved, this even wrecks the economics
of, say, doing multiple nights in a row at an arena in london
or nyc. so maybe its mostly stadium shows after all. just with stripped down
staging. huge video screens and not much else, to keep costs down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-26 15:50 by nocomment.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 26, 2011 15:58

Spud

But if he can get away with singing without power since his health problems, how far that argument can be pushed?

It will end up like "you know, I can't sing at all but whisper and move my mouth but otherwise I would need to cancel the whole tour". I mean which is more important: the singer singing properly or just showing up "on with the show"? With Keith, during the A BIGGER BANG tour that argument was pushed to the limits, actually.

Does the music bloody hell matter at all any longer in the Stones concerts, but just the "showing up", if each member is going to have a kind of free pass musically? "Just show up and mimic something..." At least there are limits in my "fanhood"... To me, the music still matters quite a lot, and I am not a friend of the so called "age card" that seems to justify quite a lot these days...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-26 16:01 by Doxa.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: October 26, 2011 16:03

Gazza
Stikkyfinger
They will get an opportunity to beat U2 in the touring record stakes, although I can't see why this is important. If U2 were playing Rolling Stones songs I could see why it might be important to sell more tickets. Other than that it's irrelevent in my opinion.

There isnt a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

I would not call it a "snowball's chance in hell", if they did do a tour with the same amount of dates as bigger bang I could see this grossing more then U2's, I agree it is not likely they would play that many but you never know.

Date: October 26, 2011 16:25

Doxa
Spud

But if he can get away with singing without power since his health problems, how far that argument can be pushed?

It will end up like "you know, I can't sing at all but whisper and move my mouth but otherwise I would need to cancel the whole tour". I mean which is more important: the singer singing properly or just showing up "on with the show"? With Keith, during the A BIGGER BANG tour that argument was pushed to the limits, actually.

Does the music bloody hell matter at all any longer in the Stones concerts, but just the "showing up", if each member is going to have a kind of free pass musically? "Just show up and mimic something..." At least there are limits in my "fanhood"... To me, the music still matters quite a lot, and I am not a friend of the so called "age card" that seems to justify quite a lot these days...

- Doxa

The bottom line for many folks depends on whether they attend Stones shows for the music, the spectacle... or simply for the quasi-religious experience .

Date: October 26, 2011 16:43

Spud
The bottom line for many folks depends on whether they attend Stones shows for the music, the spectacle... or simply for the quasi-religious experience .

That's true, Spud. And I need to say that I had double standards in my post above, too. It is long since I actually went to a Stones concert for being moved by the great music. No, I just go there to salud the beloved band and wishing they somehow come up musically competently enough to provide a decent soundtrack for the (rather expensive) celebration... Funnily, the spectacle part of it actually bothers me usually - all the lights, huge stages and all that technological equipment. It makes me feel like being an outsider; the whole show feels built for someone else. I just care the band and the music. The reason for me for being there is probably more that of "quasi-religious experience" since, as I said, it is not just the music that moves me...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-26 16:44 by Doxa.

Date: October 26, 2011 16:45

Spud
Doxa

With Keith, during the A BIGGER BANG tour that argument was pushed to the limits, actually.

Does the music bloody hell matter at all any longer in the Stones concerts? I am not a friend of the so called "age card" that seems to justify quite a lot these days...

- Doxa

Yes, and there's nothing wrong with that. The nephew, 16 years old, a classic
rock kid, much prefers "shine a light" to "fort worth". Says the Stones seemed
too full of themselves and too full of shit in "fort worth". Says they were
more real and less like posers in "shine a light". He very much wants the 50th
to happen so he can see them before they die. If the people who pay the money
for the tickets feel they've gotten their money's worth, THAT is total
success. Whatever great or good music that happens is just icing. Always has been.

Posted by: 1969scottyo ()
Date: October 26, 2011 16:54

there will be a tour in 2012 keith wants it! ronnie needs it! and charlie will just go with the flow. Mick the prick and his superheavhy project will be done by christmas and a tour will be announced shortly after..

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 26, 2011 16:56

Gazza
Stikkyfinger
They will get an opportunity to beat U2 in the touring record stakes, although I can't see why this is important. If U2 were playing Rolling Stones songs I could see why it might be important to sell more tickets. Other than that it's irrelevent in my opinion.

There isnt a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

even considering all this climate change stuff?

Posted by: 1969scottyo ()
Date: October 26, 2011 17:04

cay you imagine how much it will cost to insure a tour?

Date: October 26, 2011 17:05

nocomment
Spud
Doxa

With Keith, during the A BIGGER BANG tour that argument was pushed to the limits, actually.

Does the music bloody hell matter at all any longer in the Stones concerts? I am not a friend of the so called "age card" that seems to justify quite a lot these days...

- Doxa

Yes, and there's nothing wrong with that. The nephew, 16 years old, a classic
rock kid, much prefers "shine a light" to "fort worth". Says the Stones seemed
too full of themselves and too full of shit in "fort worth". Says they were
more real and less like posers in "shine a light". He very much wants the 50th
to happen so he can see them before they die. If the people who pay the money
for the tickets feel they've gotten their money's worth, THAT is total
success. Whatever great or good music that happens is just icing. Always has been

Well, you cannot much argue with that entertainment business rule. Especially when Keith also nowadays prerefs to see himself basically as an "entertainer". Actually it sometimes feels like the concerts are full of your "nephews", only probably 20-50 older though. And everybody goes smiling home. A happy world. And since they make more money ever, and entertain more people than ever, it must be, as uncle Keith says, "Best Stones Yet".

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-26 17:08 by Doxa.

Date: October 26, 2011 17:16

Doxa
Well, you cannot much argue with that entertainment business rule. Especially when Keith also sees nowadays see himself basically as an "entertainer". Actually it sometimes feels like the concerts are full of your "nephews", only probably 20-50 older though. And everybody goes smiling home. A happy world. And since they make more money ever, and entertain more people than ever, it must be, as uncle Keith says, "Best Stones Yet".

- Doxa

Quite sympathetic to those still addicted to those moments in history when the
stones managed to be the most entertaining, most enlightening, and most
musical group at the same time. Currently view those relatively brief flashes as
literal miracles, as we've said before, akin to walking on water, helped
along by the pineal DMT of all involved, as well as less natural levitation
aids. But don't think these miracles represents a realistic standard for any kind
of rhythm/dance music. Said this before too: if its MUSIC you're after, you really
need to look to jazz and classical for a more consistent payoff.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-26 17:22 by nocomment.

Date: October 26, 2011 17:39

Doxa
Spud

That's true, Spud. And I need to say that I had double standards in my post above, too. It is long since I actually went to a Stones concert for being moved by the great music. No, I just go there to salud the beloved band and wishing they somehow come up musically competently enough to provide a decent soundtrack for the (rather expensive) celebration... Funnily, the spectacle part of it actually bothers me usually - all the lights, huge stages and all that technological equipment. It makes me feel like being an outsider; the whole show feels built for someone else. I just care the band and the music. The reason for me for being there is probably more that of "quasi-religious experience" since, as I said, it is not just the music that moves me...grinning smiley

- Doxa

The same goes for me ;^)

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 26, 2011 17:46

nocomment
Posted on one of the other 50th threads...

Doesn't necessarily mean they're touring (a refund is possible) but this
auction site is legit and almost certainly the offer is authorized...

Via Rocksoff and an australian charity auction site...

[www.pif.com.au]

Electrifying: Rolling Stones Guitar & Concert Tickets (Value: $5,000)
Possess the ultimate symbol of homage to these Rock Legends ā€“ you could own a
Rolling Stones signed framed Gibson Guitar and satisfy your rock ā€˜nā€™ roll addiction
with 2 Reserve Gold Class Exclusive VIP Tickets for their 50th Anniversary
Concert Tour in 2012
. You CAN always get what you want.

Only a sucker would fall for something like that, especially considering it is 0% true.

Date: October 26, 2011 17:47

ineedadrink
sorry mickscarey, i didn't mean to call you out. my apologies!

It's OK. Mickscarey MIGHT be right one of these years.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: October 26, 2011 17:51

nocomment
GOTTA KEEP THIS GROUND-BREAKING THREAD ALIVE NO MATTER WHAT!

(Excerpted from the great Time Is On Our Side to show 2001-2011 parallels...

Charlie Watts on the road with his own group? Check.

Ronnie Wood also active? Check

Mick Jagger abortive non-Stones project? Check

Keith Richards the least active by far? Check

The only difference is that we're way ahead of the Licks pace.

Mick could've been doing stuff with SuperHeavy until Feb 2012, but perhaps Damian upon reflection
just didn't want to be used as publicity for the stones 50th)

October 2001: Mick Jagger tapes a videoclip for God Gave Me Everything in Los Angeles.

October 12, 2001: The Charlie Watts Tentet performs in Cardiff, Wales.

Mick Jagger (October 2001): The Rolling Stones next year!

I don't think (Keith) was mad at all (about me doing a solo album this year). We're going to
be working next year which is coming up to our 40th anniversary... I think there
should be something new and good out there but what it's going to be, I don't know...
The last tour was so long, I don't think Keith and Ronnie would want to do that again.
A tour like that becomes a test of how strong you can be. It becomes a fitness thing,
which isn't really where you want to be. The 40th anniversary is a good party to give,
hopefully there will be something happening... I don't think there will be a completely new
studio album.

October 29-November 3, 2001: The Charlie Watts Tentet perform at the Blue Note in Tokyo, Japan.

November 2-3, 2001: Mick Jagger promotes his upcoming album in Cologne, Germany and Amsterdam, Netherlands.

November 6-11, 2001: The Charlie Watts Tentet perform at the Blue Note in New York City. Keith Richards attends the
first night's performance.

November 12, 2001: Mick Jagger's fourth solo album, Goddess in the Doorway, is released on Virgin Records.

November 15, 2001: Mick Jagger performs a single concert to present his new album, at the El Rey Club in Los Angeles.

November 19, 2001: Ron Wood's sixth solo album, and first in nine years, Not For Beginners, is released.

December 2, 2001: Mick Jagger performs God Gave Me Everything with Lenny Kravitz on U.S. TV's VH-1 Music
Awards in Los Angeles.

December 8, 2001: Mick Jagger appears on U.S. TV's Saturday Night Live from New York City, performing and
participating in skits. Ron Wood performs a solo concert in Dublin, Ireland, with Slash of Guns 'N Roses on board.

December 11-12, 2001: Ron Wood performs at Shepherds Bush Empire and the CC Club in London, England. He also
tapes an appearance on UK TV's Jools Holland's Annual Hootenanny.

December 14, 2001: Ron Wood performs on UK TV's Friday Night with Jonathan Ross.

January 9, 2002: Ron Wood jams onstage with a local band in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Mid-January 2002: Mick Jagger shoots a videoclip for Visions of Paradise in Los Angeles. He also adds his voice to an
episode of U.S. TV's The Simpsons (as does Keith Richards), for a November 2002 episode focusing on the Rolling Stones.

January 19, 2002: Mick Jagger performs on French television to promote Goddess In The Doorway.

January 25, 2002: Ron Wood performs with The Corrs in Bray, Ireland for a filmed/recorded concert.

January 26, 2002: Mick Jagger performs on German television.

February 7, 2002: Mick Jagger takes part in another live chat on the internet to promote his solo album.

February 12, 2002: Ron Wood performs with Jools Holland's band at the Royal Albert Hall in London, England.

Late February-early March 2002: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards work on demos at the latter's home in
Ocho Rios, Jamaica, for the Rolling Stones' upcoming recording sessions.

April 14, 2002: Keith Richards performs with Willie Nelson at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee.

May 7, 2002: The Rolling Stones arrive in Van Cortlandt Park in New York City by blimp and hold a press
conference to announce the band's 2002-03 world tour.

Keith Richards, Charlie Watts & Mick Jagger (May 2002)

Keith: The last tour ended in 1999, and I thought, I probably won't get a phone call for about 18 months.
And, sure enough, slightly after (18 months had passed), Mick calls up and goes, Do you think we should
do something next year? I just wait for people to get antsy at home.

Charlie: No, this won't be the last tour. What I said before is, If it's the last tour, fine. But it probably won't be
the last time we'll play. The last tour was two years long. I don't think we can do a 2-year tour again. Who knows?
When we started the last one, it was for a year. Something happened in the middle and it went on for two.

Mick: People started asking Is this going to be your last tour? in 1966 - I distinctly remember that. I'm not the Oracle of Delphi...

May 13-June 7, 2002: The Rolling Stones record new material for the first time in five years, at
Guillaume Tell Studios in Suresne, France, to accompany the upcoming greatest hits package.

Mick Jagger & Ron Wood (July 2002)

Mick: After we've said hello we might play some blues or something. It doesn't take long to get acquainted. I spend
a lot of time with Ronnie and Charlie. I don't see Keith much - he lives in Connecticut - but I saw him a couple of months
ago, so it's all very normal.

Ron: You just slip into them. There's a few jokes - though since I've straightened up, I'm not so much of a jester as I used
to be - then you walk up to your instruments and it's like no time has gone by.

Keith: We felt we had to put on two or three new tracks in a to be continued kind of spirit. I didn't want it to be all just nostalgia.
Also, I didn't want to turn up for rehearsals for this tour without having played together with everybody since the end of the last tour.
Playing new music really tightens the band up. Getting everybody together for a month in Paris, I didn't mind if we came out with
no tracks at all. But as it turned out, we came out with 30 tracks! Everyone's got their chops together and they're really looking
forward to this tour. It's not just a regurgitation. It's still a working band.

Mick: I think what's important to me is that I'm personally writing new songs and the band is cutting new songs.

June 14, 2002: At Queen Elizabeth II's birthday honours list, it is announced Mick Jagger will be knighted. (Keith 2012?)

Keith: Mick's got an ego. I insult the man. But he has the hide of a rhino, and he's just determined to be who he is. But then,
what do you do with lead vocalists? They're fairies. You've got to let them have their head and then rein them in. It's basically
a continual jousting.

Mick: Keith has his own personality and he likes to make his own noise. I think Keith feels it's mandatory to keep his image by
doing that. We have a pretty mature relationship. Otherwise we wouldn't be working almost every day together. We agree on
just about everything.

July 12, 2002: The 40th anniversary date of the Rolling Stones' first ever concert, at the Marquee Club in London,
England.

July 15-18, 2002: For the third world tour in a row, the Rolling Stones set up camp for rehearsals in Toronto, Canada.

Mick Jagger (July 2002):

It's not really a 40th anniversary tour for starters. I think that's a couple of years away. The history books say 1962?
Well, Charlie wasn't in the band then.

Keith Richards & Ron Wood (August 2002):

Keith: If we're going to do this, we need to put more ammo in the magazine. It also brings a lot of threads back to things you've
done but thought, Oh, that was then. Here I am, playing Heart of Stone, and suddenly a bit of you goes back to when you
were writing it: I didn't realize it was this good.

Ron: We've been this loose in rehearsal before, but there is something magical about these rehearsals which I've never seen.
We just about nailed every song on Exile. We're doing I Got the Blues with four horns. It's such a buzz. And you see the honesty
that's coming out. Mick is singing full tilt all the time. A lot of vocalists would go, It's not the show yet, I'll just brush over that bit.
He's IN there, man.

August 14, 2002: The Rolling Stones announce their world tour will be titled Licks, after their upcoming greatest hits package Forty Licks.

August 16, 2002: The Rolling Stones are back onstage performing their now-traditional, pre-tour intimate rehearsal concert at the Palais
Royale in Toronto.

Thanks for all your comments, nocomment :-)

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Date: October 26, 2011 17:54

I don't think (Keith) was mad at all (about me doing a solo album this year). We're going to be working next year which is coming up to our 40th anniversary... I think there should be something new and good out there but what it's going to be, I don't know...

The only thing that was new and good of all of that was their set lists for the theatres.

Another misleading thread title...

Date: October 26, 2011 18:23

Stikkyfinger

Having no comment is a goal, very much like Buddhahood.

Terrible at it really, but will definitely keep trying.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: October 28, 2011 14:14

nocomment
Stikkyfinger

Having no comment is a goal, very much like Buddhahood.

Terrible at it really, but will definitely keep trying.

>grinning smiley<

I admire your determination.thumbs up

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: October 28, 2011 14:42

Jebus Chrine.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1234
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home