Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones and Dr. Feelgood
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 25, 2011 08:22

I saw last night a great documentary of British "pubrock" band Dr. Feelgood, probably the hottest musical thing that took place in England during the mid-70's, just between the era of progressive/dinosaur rock and the punk phase (which was partly inspired the example of Dr. Feelgood)

Anyway, this made me think the possible effect the Dr. Feelgood -phenomenon might had even to the biggest and most legendary of the British bands, the Stones. Namely, The Stones also had a brief "back to rhythm&blues" period after BLACK & BLUE and the European Tour 1976 and before the punk-inspired SOME GIRLS record and tour. The summer of 1976 was the time when Dr. Feelgood was probably the coolest band in England, their third album, STUPIDITY, number one on charts, etc. The Stones after finishing their European Tour in June did the infamous gig at Knebworth Festival in the late August. In this gig there was included for the first time for years their old cover numbers, such as "Around and Around", "Route 66", and "Little Red Rooster" - kind of stuff Dr. Feelgood had given a new life lately. This tendency continued next year in El Colombo gigs in Toronto, which would be heard very strongly also in coming LOVE YOU LIVE album (remember: Dr. Feelgood's #1 album was also a live album!). Not just the content, but also the idea of recording a small club performance by a band that was a "dinosaur" might have something to do with the example of the "pubrock" a'la Dr. Feelgood.

Is this only a co-incidence? Knowing Jagger's ear for trendies, it sounds a bit unlikely. The point is that I have never seen or read any first-hand evidence of the connection (comments by Mick, etc.). Part of it is to do that when the punk movement took over, the whole "Dr. Feelgood-phase" in British rock was quickly forgotten. The same with the Stones' short "r&b-period". The thing is that I have long seen the "back to Richmond" of the Stones in 1976/77 as a kind of mental preparing of them ("let's go back to the beginning and see what we really are") that finally realized in SOME GIRLS as a reinvented band, but never thought the Dr. Feelgood-connection earlier.

Anyone knows anything more? Or any ideas? Does this sound totally artificial, or am I saying here something trivial everyone, expect me, knows already?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-25 09:14 by Doxa.

Re: The Stones and Dr. Feelgood
Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: October 25, 2011 08:38

Interesting doxa, like most things you share with us....

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: October 25, 2011 08:47

In my humble opinion Dr Feelgood sat between mainstream 'rock' and the 'punk' acts,and
they were one of the finest live acts I've ever seen, Doxa, you make some interesting points and I would encourage anyone to nip out and get a copy of Stupidity..the live album, or better still the dvd of their shows from that tour (it comes with an extended cd) Just watch Lee, and Wilko do their stuff...

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: October 25, 2011 08:50

Sorry, this reminded me.. Route 66. Southend 1975
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: October 25, 2011 09:12

Actually I suspect that much of the "back to basics" was due to the influence of one BIG fan of the early Stones, namely Ronnie Wood.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 25, 2011 09:20

El Colombo????

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 25, 2011 09:26

KeithNacho
El Colombo????

Sorry, El Mocambo...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 25, 2011 09:32

Down by the Jetty AND Malpractice CD's are pure rock'n'roll.
I'd always like the Doctor, because it always remains me a bit of the rough and early ROLLING STONES.
Doxa , If you didn't already do it please download STRETTON's BULL Video here
IORR
A must have cool smiley

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-25 09:33 by Honestman.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 25, 2011 12:08

From the sleeve notes for the "Collectors Edition" of "Down By The Jetty":
Vic Maile went along with the group's wishes and started recording the whole group playing live. The effect was immediate and the tracks quickly sprang into life. First to be captured was '(Get Your Kicks On) Route 66', the Bobby Troup classic that started life in jazz swing mode by the Nat King Cole Trio, only to be hi-jacked and rocked up by Cole fancier Chuck Berry. It was later taken up a gear by the Rolling Stones. The Feelgoods took it even faster but left it off the album. Wilko Johnson says " I didn't want to include 'Route 66' because it was on the Stones' first album, I didn't want people to draw comparisons. Amazingly, we were never compared to the Stones, but we lifted our version from them"

Completely the wrong line up used in this picture!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 25, 2011 12:19

Feelgood were huge in bringing in the full punk movement. The move back to basics by the Stones was probably part of the whole world shifting. Dr Feelgood, yes, there was the Mott live shows - a lot harder and raw than the recorded albums, the Dolls and Ramones. The Ramones hit the UK charts in summer of '76 already.
Didn't Feelgood get in with the Stiff Records crowd? Nick Lowe, and/or Ian Dury?

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: October 25, 2011 12:30

Palace Revolution 2000
Feelgood were huge in bringing in the full punk movement. The move back to basics by the Stones was probably part of the whole world shifting. Dr Feelgood, yes, there was the Mott live shows - a lot harder and raw than the recorded albums, the Dolls and Ramones. The Ramones hit the UK charts in summer of '76 already.
Didn't Feelgood get in with the Stiff Records crowd? Nick Lowe, and/or Ian Dury?

Even groups like Queen changed their music by 1977 ('We Will Rock You' & 'Fat Bottomed Girls' were very different from 'Seven Seas Of Rhye' & 'Bohemian Rhapsody')... of course, disco was having a similar strong impact on rock at the time.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 25, 2011 14:11

Palace Revolution 2000

Wilko Johnson played a lot with Ian Dury and the Blockheads in the '80's, more or less becoming an honary Blockhead...........

In fact after Ian died in 2000 he carried on playing regularly with Norman Watt-Roy the Blockheads bass player....This one is from Lyon in France in 2007....

(personally I think Norman was seriously overlooked when it came to replacing Bill in '94)

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: October 25, 2011 14:15

Wilko has had a trio with Norman Watt Roy for a lot longer than that, I first saw them back in the 80`s. Two of my favourite musicians, killers smiling smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 25, 2011 14:24

humanriff77
Wilko has had a trio with Norman Watt Roy for a lot longer than that, I first saw them back in the 80`s. Two of my favourite musicians, killers smiling smiley

Fair enough, I didn't know that...I knew Wilko came to the Blockheads to replace Chaz Jankel but then Chaz came back but Wilko stayed anyway.....good decision........I'll have to check out to see if there's any boots of the earlier stuff...did the trio have a proper name ?.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-25 14:25 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 25, 2011 14:33

Nick Lowe produced and co-wrote "Milk and Alcohol" with Gypie Mayo, Wilko's replacement in the Feelgoods.

A later incarnation of the band recorded for Stiff in 1986-7

45cat

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 25, 2011 14:35

I think after Exile the Stones didn't really know where to take things next and by 76 they could see the first time they might not take a generation with them. Some mild experimentation without totally losing what made them what they were. Punk helped pull that back in to focus.

Don't forget that Glen Matlock and Mick Jones were fans too.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 25, 2011 15:58

Deltics
Nick Lowe produced and co-wrote "Milk and Alcohol" with Gypie Mayo, Wilko's replacement in the Feelgoods.

From 1996-2004, Gypie played guitar in a resurrected version of the Yardbirds, featuring Chris Dreja and Jim McCarty. Those were some damn big shoes to fill, as he basically was occupying the position in the band previously held by Clapton, Beck, and Page. He did a great job, too. I caught them in 2003, when they were touring to promote "Birdland", the first album of new Yardbirds material since 1967's "Little Games". I really had no idea who he was. After the show I remarked (to my friends, not to him) that he was "the best guitarist I've never heard of".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-25 16:05 by tatters.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 25, 2011 16:23

Another Band was very close to Dr FEELGOOD in their way of playin', it was the Count Bishops

but back to the topic, despite the many change in their line-up Dr FEELFOOD had always tried to be a respectable very good Pub-Rock Band, and they did, even in their latest releases, it was always good to see'em live.

cool smiley

HMN

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: October 25, 2011 16:30

Deltics
From the sleeve notes for the "Collectors Edition" of "Down By The Jetty":
Vic Maile went along with the group's wishes and started recording the whole group playing live. The effect was immediate and the tracks quickly sprang into life. First to be captured was '(Get Your Kicks On) Route 66', the Bobby Troup classic that started life in jazz swing mode by the Nat King Cole Trio, only to be hi-jacked and rocked up by Cole fancier Chuck Berry. It was later taken up a gear by the Rolling Stones. The Feelgoods took it even faster but left it off the album. Wilko Johnson says " I didn't want to include 'Route 66' because it was on the Stones' first album, I didn't want people to draw comparisons. Amazingly, we were never compared to the Stones, but we lifted our version from them"

Completely the wrong line up used in this picture!

Excellent! I've never heard this version before. I must say Dr Feelgood were a breath of fresh air at the time. Punk music was just arriving and some of it was awesome....

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 25, 2011 18:09

Motley Crue has a cool song called "Dr. Feelgood". So does Stillwater (the southern rockers, not the group from "Almost Famous").

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 26, 2011 01:17

In the early 80's with a couple of friends we organized a concert in a small town in France and the Good doctor was the headline. Wilko was gone already and a young dude, Gordon was his name replaced Johnson on guitar. Before the show I went in their backstage room to let them know that I was going to introduce them on stage. I'd came up with that idea of throwing a big bunch of fire crackers(I know WTF!) on stage and to run to the microphone and shout "Ladies and gentlmen Doctor Feelgood". So I briefed Lee on my intention which he totally approved of then asked me to wait. He came back with a bottle of Sauvignon(white wine) and we drank it, bottom up in 3minutes time. I told him that his voice reminded me of Howling Wolf's voice. He shook my hand and told that Chester Burnett was one of his major influence! The show was @#$%& great.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: October 26, 2011 16:10

Listening today to Wilkos solo album "Ice on the motorway" a forgotten classic and highly recommended for all Feelgoods fans

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: October 31, 2011 03:25

Thanks for mentioning Wilko's solo release. I dug it out and enjoyed it. Wilko has been on Later, OGWT radio episode 10, and the Paul Jones show recently.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1351
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home