Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones CDs to be Remastered with Bonus Tracks for 50th Anniversary
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 23, 2011 20:18

Well if it's true it's excellent news. I'm waiting for this to happen since the Virgin remastered reissues, ie something like 15 years ago. smiling smiley

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 24, 2011 00:08

In fact, they do need remastering - a PROPER remastering, one that doesn't ruin the songs like Marcussen did.

Horrible job.

Time to get Ludwig back to get it right.

Date: October 24, 2011 00:09

drewmaster
As a matter of full disclosure, I should mention that my uncle's accountant is in jail for tax fraud and his friend has learning disabilities.

Drew

So his friend learns wrong eh?

Date: October 24, 2011 00:12

kowalski
Well if it's true it's excellent news. I'm waiting for this to happen since the Virgin remastered reissues, ie something like 15 years ago. smiling smiley

Ahhh. But at least Virgin did a quite faithful reissue with the artwork! Although Dirty Work and Steel Wheels were worse than the originals, which I'm sure nobody noticed except me.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 24, 2011 00:45

DragonSky
drewmaster
As a matter of full disclosure, I should mention that my uncle's accountant is in jail for tax fraud and his friend has learning disabilities.

Drew

He's always been a little slow. He used to think that Bon Jovi was a deodorant.

Drew

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 24, 2011 01:19

drewmaster
used to think that Bon Jovi was a deodorant

... and it isn't ???

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: October 24, 2011 01:22

drewmaster
DragonSky
drewmaster

Drew

He's always been a little slow. He used to think that Bon Jovi was a deodorant.

Drew

Oh that's a good one. Don't give the Jon Bon any ideas now...

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 24, 2011 02:45

No previously unreleased tracks not approved by the band (Mick) will be issued on anything that comes out.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 24, 2011 02:47

kowalski
Interesting that you mention the Virgin reissues because it seems the plan at the time was to add unreleased tracks to the reissues so Mick spent some time at RPM in NYC at the end of 1993 and apparently only finished 6 songs so they gave up on the idea. That's where we got "So Young" from for as VL single b-side. I'm pretty sure Mick also mentioned "Fiji Jim" in one of the early AOL chats but never found a transcript again...

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 24, 2011 10:52

Excellent sales of Japanese SACDs have recorded by not only Stones but also many artists.
Over 40 generation are buying up them.
Considering remarkably high sales of 2011 remastered SACDs in Japan, the next step would be high rez 24/96 download, I hope.

Anyway, 2009 remaster sucks.
Queen high rez

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 24, 2011 11:19

Gazza
originalstones
Gazza
Doubt it, to be honest.

These albums were just remastered and reissued a couple of years ago. And apart from the Exile deluxe, sales were poor.

There's no market for doing it again.

Gazza, I'm sure you're right about the sales being poor for the remastered versions that were done just a few years ago, but they didn't include anything special. Maybe what it needed were bonus tracks. Like you said Exile sold well. Of course Exile is a famous album to begin with but it did include bonus tracks which was one of the big selling points, and it was marketed extremely well. I personally think if Universal remasters the collection with bonus tracks it will sell much better then the ones they did a few years ago.

Its certainly a more attractive proposition, but in reality how many people are going to want to shell out AGAIN to buy these albums - JUST to get a few leftovers. Record sales are in the toilet already as it is.

They could have got away with this had the UMG remasters issued in 2009 included extra songs, but the label instead just rushed into reissuing the original albums with no extras solely to get the albums back on the shelves again as EMI had deleted them.

A reissue programme with extra songs presumably would not have had any input from the band - unlike Exile and Some Girls where some of them put some work into overdubbing etc. There simply wouldnt have been time to go through all these old albums and work on them. Either someone outside the band has gone through a lot of old tapes and just added a few extra songs to each record, or nothing has been done at all. I suspect the latter, unfortunately, although I'd love to be wrong.

I do think a 'collection' of unreleased material is a more likely prospect in the long run.

Even though I am a bit skeptical for having the whole catalogue with extras (but we live interesting times, don't we?), I think the fact Gazza points out here that Universal rushed with releasing the catalog in order to have it there on the shelves again, should maybe be taken at face value; it didn't have any other function than make sure the catalog is available for random buyers, not to make a big seller or fuzz. Just collect those possible bucks. Maybe the big bang will come now. They started with EXILE to do a proper job, and now we are going to have SOME GIRLS (that was already relaesed in 2009!). But the whole 50th Anniversary thing and the hype it surely gathers, is a good oppurtunity to push the catalog sales. Maybe a profilic set of deluxe albums would be ideal for Universal to promote then. If I were in their shoes, I wouldn't miss the opportunity.

But like I said I am skeptical until I will get more information, but economically speaking, I don't see the possible project such a hopeless or impossible project. It is within the realm of realistic imagination. (But I don't know how they would accomplish all the extras, etc. in practice.)

- Doxa

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: October 24, 2011 13:01

I don't see any new "Remasteres", but UMG will do some "Reissues", just because the first CD issues of the 2009 remasters are nearly sold out. And why not put some more Deluxe Editions on the market? I wouldn't be surprised if Mick hasn't done some more overdubbing in the last four years, so there will be enough material in the can to release some more Bonus-CDs, step by step, and some ABKCO stuff, too ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-24 14:00 by HighwireC.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 24, 2011 15:49

HighwireC
I don't see any new "Remasteres", but UMG will do some "Reissues", just because the first CD issues of the 2009 remasters are nearly sold out.

Seriousy, I don't understand this. It's not that they pressed 50.000 copies each and now discover that they "are nearly sold out". They can repress them anytime if they want, even in low quantities like, let's say 200 copies. I never read anywhere that the 2009 remasters were "limited editions"!

Date: October 24, 2011 17:00

retired_dog
HighwireC
I don't see any new "Remasteres", but UMG will do some "Reissues", just because the first CD issues of the 2009 remasters are nearly sold out.

Seriousy, I don't understand this. It's not that they pressed 50.000 copies each and now discover that they "are nearly sold out". They can repress them anytime if they want, even in low quantities like, let's say 200 copies. I never read anywhere that the 2009 remasters were "limited editions"!

CBS did it some times, and Virgin too. Most people didn't regard that there were reissues done. That's some knowledge about marketing and distribution. The distributer is not interested in own big storages, he will ship the CDs as soon as possible to the big stores, in Europe like Media Markt and Saturn, and to the online stores, like amazon, jpc, fnac, etc.

After the first UMG-issues are sold out, they will start a reissue (again some 50.000 copies), with some new marketing offers, may be some low prices or some Bonus Tracks ...

That's what we will see now, starting with Some Girls (Exile + Bonus was somewhat like a bridge ...)
... smoking smiley

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: October 24, 2011 17:09

.. "outtakes" as a bonus are OK, but what about the "holy grail" - live stuffe from the 70s (1970/71/73 and Mocambo). I mean, this would perfectly fit to some "deluxe-editions", wouldn´t it? And by the way: This stuff can be released untouched (just like "Let it Rock" from leeds), unlike all the so-called outtakes!

Date: October 24, 2011 17:19

muenke
.. "outtakes" as a bonus are OK, but what about the "holy grail" - live stuffe from the 70s (1970/71/73 and Mocambo). I mean, this would perfectly fit to some "deluxe-editions", wouldn´t it? And by the way: This stuff can be released untouched (just like "Let it Rock" from leeds), unlike all the so-called outtakes!

UMG will do the reissues, with Deluxe Bonus etc, some boxsets (singles, vinyl, etc) some sampler and some very new album, next year ...

And: There will be some live movies (done by Eagle or others), like L&G and Some Girls live in Texas. And, by good luck, there will be some "soundtracks" with them. These movies and OST are not part of the Universal deal, so The Rolling Stones will still use this chance to make some additional money ... smoking smiley

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: October 24, 2011 17:32

HighwireC
muenke

UMG will do the reissues, with Deluxe Bonus etc, some boxsets (singles, vinyl, etc) some sampler and some very new album, next year ...

And: There will be some live movies (done by Eagle or others), like L&G and Some Girls live in Texas. And, by good luck, there will be some "soundtracks" with them. These movies and OST are not part of the Universal deal, so The Rolling Stones will still use this chance to make some additional money ... smoking smiley

Vielen Dank für die Info und Grüße!thumbs up

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 28, 2011 21:37

Blueranger
They are clearly trying to gather all the rarities together in these years.

* Re-released albums of post 1971 catalog, true to form.

* The Singles box 1971-2006, collected the UK/US singles with their respective b-sides.

* Re-release of Ladies And Gentlemen

They now need to find a home for diverse bonus tracks on previous deluxe editions, compilations, special foreign releases etc. etc.

ABKCO are also doing great with releases of all albums on HD Tracks, digital platforms and so on. Most importantly, they have re-released all the old UK albums, including No. 1 / No. 2, the Big Hits comps. in their UK configurations etc. Great work IMO.

Dig I miss somewhere that the Big Hits and No's 1 and 2 are back in print?!?!?

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: October 28, 2011 21:41

I'm so excited about a new and expanded Dirty Work that I've just jizzed in my pants.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 28, 2011 21:47

........Geeeeeeeeeeez Baxter can't ya get yaself a kilt ???....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 28, 2011 21:50

HighwireC
muenke

Thanks for this info. sounds great!

When you say "some very new album, next year" do you mean a Tattoo You like hybrid of old/new material, a CD of all new/newish material or do you mean some new tracks tacked on a Greatest Hits collection a la 40 Licks?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1547
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home