Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT--Long Strange Trip: The Untold Story of the Grateful Dead
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 26, 2017 18:49

Did anyone else get to see this when it played on the big screen yesterday?

It starts streaming on Amazon today.

Not being a Deadhead, I wasn't sure if I'd make it through the entire 4 hours, but the first two hours just flew by, and then there was an intermission.

It only got a little long for me near the end, when the part about Jerry's health decline seemed to drag on a little bit.

Besides that, I'd recommend this to anyone, fan or not. There's a lot of insight and information about the group and the counterculture that formed around them.

Sam Cutler is interviewed at length, and (SPOILER) a snippet of Mick seen talking to Jerry is taken from Gimme Shelter

Re: OT--Long Strange Trip: The Untold Story of the Grateful Dead
Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 26, 2017 19:01

I hear that there's not a lot of music mostly interaction with the various band members and fans...is that true?

Date: May 26, 2017 19:26

reg thorpe
I hear that there's not a lot of music mostly interaction with the various band members and fans...is that true?

That's an odd comment..there was music through the entire thing, but it's not a "performance" film.

More like Crossfire Hurricane than Ladies and Gentlemen.

But the stories from the crew, fans, etc. move this film along. The one about the recording of Europe '72 gave me a whole new appreciation of that record.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: May 26, 2017 20:24

I enjoyed the film. Some of the insights (The Watts Towers and Garcia's vision to be a living work of art instead of an entrenched monument, the Europe 72's engineer Wiz's tale of the Morning Dew) were powerful. Some laugh out loud moments too from Sam Cutler, Robert Hunter, Al Franken and Joe Smith.

Sam Cutler's comment about any musician reaching the iconic status of Garcia needing to forge a break from that weight and find another pursuit was interesting. Made me think of the Glimmer Twins, and how they have managed to balance their fame with having any semblance of a normal life?

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: May 26, 2017 21:34

I saw it last night at a theatre. I liked it and even at four hours I think there was a lot more to tell.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 26, 2017 22:38

It's funny, I can stand the group as long as they don't perform. I watched a Bob Weir doc on Netflix a while back and it was interesting. But as soon as they play it sounds ridiculous. Whatever they're calling the remnants is playing at the Hollywood Bowl this weekend, two nights. There was a commercial for the concerts on the TV in the other room and I heard these terrible harmonies and knew it was them. God bless their fans, long as they don't try to push their group, or tell me they're a great cover band. The Stones are maybe the best cover band of all time. The Dead? Uh.........

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 26, 2017 22:51

Still, IMHO, one of the most over-rated bands in the world. Garcia was a good guitarist, but not a great one. Anyway...here's a bit on the guy who made the movie.

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 3, 2017 03:12

Really enjoyed the film, though not much into the music. I liked best when Pigpen played and sang blues and the whole band did covers such as "Fade Away." Plenty o' music in there for me--I thought quite a lot.

I agree that about 15 minutes could have been cut from the ending to make it tighter. Dragged on even through a montage of the whole film at the bitter end.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 3, 2017 06:29

24FPS
It's funny, I can stand the group as long as they don't perform. I watched a Bob Weir doc on Netflix a while back and it was interesting. But as soon as they play it sounds ridiculous. Whatever they're calling the remnants is playing at the Hollywood Bowl this weekend, two nights. There was a commercial for the concerts on the TV in the other room and I heard these terrible harmonies and knew it was them. God bless their fans, long as they don't try to push their group, or tell me they're a great cover band. The Stones are maybe the best cover band of all time. The Dead? Uh.........

The Dead is a great cover band. The Stones can't even play their own songs, let alone the few they cover. Here is just a few covers that the Dead and Dead & Company rotated in the setlist.

Me and Bobby McGee
Dear Prudence
Baby Blue
A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall
When I Paint My Masterpiece
Queen Jane Approximately
Maggie's Farm
All Along The Watchtower
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Not Fade Away
It's All Over Now
Little Red Rooster
The Promised Land
Johnny B Goode
Big River
El Paso
Smokestack Lightning
Good Lovin'
Iko Iko
Turn On Your Lovelight

Date: June 3, 2017 06:39

The Sicilian
24FPS

The Dead is a great cover band. The Stones can't even play their own songs, let alone the few they cover. Here is just a few covers that the Dead and Dead & Company rotated in the setlist.

Me and Bobby McGee
Dear Prudence
Baby Blue
Queen Jane Approximately
Maggie's Farm
All Along The Watchtower
Not Fade Away
It's All Over Now
Little Red Rooster
The Promised Land
Johnny B Goode
Big River
El Paso
Smokestack Lightning
Good Lovin'
Iko Iko
Turn On Your Lovelight

I love the grateful dead but a lot of the songs you mentioned were very hit and miss live. first off I really disliked the cowboy covers, "big river", "el paso", "me and my uncle" etc. next up any cover you named that pigpen sung on was terrible when they tried to do it without pigpen. he made those songs.

finally a lot of songs you named other artists had better/definitive covers of including the rolling stones with "it's all over now" and "little red rooster and "not fade away"

Date: June 3, 2017 06:56

keefriffhard4life

I love the grateful dead but a lot of the songs you mentioned were very hit and miss live. first off I really disliked the cowboy covers, "big river", "el paso", "me and my uncle" etc. next up any cover you named that pigpen sung on was terrible when they tried to do it without pigpen. he made those songs.

finally a lot of songs you named other artists had better/definitive covers of including the rolling stones with "it's all over now" and "little red rooster and "not fade away"

I didn't like them all either, but the point was that they actually played them live. They got rotation in the setlist. Sometimes good, sometimes not so. Depending on the show, some of these songs were killers. The Buffalo 1989 "When I Paint My Masterpiece" was just outstanding. Best version ever. Dear Prudence is always great. Love the Dylan covers.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 3, 2017 07:46

The Sicilian
24FPS

Me and Bobby McGee
Dear Prudence
Baby Blue
Queen Jane Approximately
Maggie's Farm
All Along The Watchtower
Not Fade Away
It's All Over Now
Little Red Rooster
The Promised Land
Johnny B Goode
Big River
El Paso
Smokestack Lightning
Good Lovin'
Iko Iko
Turn On Your Lovelight

All terrible. Good Lovin' especially. Excruciating 'harmonies'. They remind me of a garage band you'd hear practicing in your neighborhood, hoping they sure as hell aren't playing at the party you're going to. They just gigged down the street at the Hollywood Bowl for two nights. More tie-dye a-holes sporting 'I need a Bob Miracle' signs than you could roll away the dew at.

Date: June 3, 2017 07:47

24FPS
The Sicilian
24FPS

Me and Bobby McGee
Dear Prudence
Baby Blue
Queen Jane Approximately
Maggie's Farm
All Along The Watchtower
Not Fade Away
It's All Over Now
Little Red Rooster
The Promised Land
Johnny B Goode
Big River
El Paso
Smokestack Lightning
Good Lovin'
Iko Iko
Turn On Your Lovelight

All terrible. Good Lovin' especially. Excruciating 'harmonies'. They remind me of a garage band you'd hear practicing in your neighborhood, hoping they sure as hell aren't playing at the party you're going to. They just gigged down the street at the Hollywood Bowl for two nights. More tie-dye a-holes sporting 'I need a Bob Miracle' signs than you could roll away the dew at.

when pigpen did "good lovin" did it even have harmonies

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 3, 2017 18:23

24FPS
The Sicilian
24FPS

Me and Bobby McGee
Dear Prudence
Baby Blue
Queen Jane Approximately
Maggie's Farm
All Along The Watchtower
Not Fade Away
It's All Over Now
Little Red Rooster
The Promised Land
Johnny B Goode
Big River
El Paso
Smokestack Lightning
Good Lovin'
Iko Iko
Turn On Your Lovelight

Great comments!! But after awhile, they grow on you. I started listening to Europe 72 on the ole turntable continuously. I found a satellite radio channel while using a rental car several years ago that only played Live Dead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-03 18:25 by shattered.

Date: June 4, 2017 16:51

Pigpen's role was limited from about 1968 until about 1972 when he died in 1973, as with many other musicians, at age 27. Garcia and Weir are the voices heard on a majority of the covers.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 4, 2017 16:59

Streamed the first segment early this morning on Amazon. Very promising. Seems well put together with lots of new (at least to me) interviews and reminiscences.

Most memorable line from Garcia in this section concerns his worry about repeating himself. When something "works," when you can do something to get a particular reaction from a crowd, e.g., and you repeat it because you know you can, it becomes a "device." He had no interest in this kind of artifice, saw it as the death of creativity and as anathema to his devotion to music as an improvisatory art.

Looking fwd to the rest of the doc!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-04 16:59 by LongBeachArena72.

Date: June 4, 2017 17:09

LongBeachArena72
Streamed the first segment early this morning on Amazon. Very promising. Seems well put together with lots of new (at least to me) interviews and reminiscences.

Is it on the Firestick? Kodi?

Date: June 4, 2017 17:13

The Sicilian
LongBeachArena72

Is it on the Firestick? Kodi?

Not sure--probably. We stream everything (Amazon, Netflix, YouTube, etc) through a Roku.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 4, 2017 23:48

Excellent doc. People don't have to like them (I didn't for years) but you can't respect them for making a career completely their way and with the interaction of fans that most bands would only dream of. Rightfully deserves a place amongst the legendary bands in history. The doc does sort of turn into the Jerry Garcia show at the end with his death, but I guess how can it not. Pretty much the whole 6th and final episode deals with it. Wonderfully done though. Long, but breaking it up into 40 minute chunks on Amazon was helpful. Adding it to the pantheon of great music docs from the last decade or so (with the George Harrison one, the Eagles one, Tom Petty's, etc.).

Date: June 7, 2017 07:38

Just finished it. Came away with a feeling of almost overwhelming sadness. Jerry became such a prisoner of the monster rock'n'roll machine they'd all almost inadvertently created. The soul of a poet crushed under the weight of the world.

I saw them only once--in the summer of 1972--and didn't appreciate them much at the time. Too into Stones/Zeppelin/Bowie/Stooges to spend much time with a band of boring old hippies. But my god how they have enriched my life over the past five years or so ... what an incredible band, what a unique, fascinating cultural force they were.

They are so ragged on most nights ... but then out of a fog of mediocrity--and led by the incredible Garcia--will blaze forth in even the most middling of shows with a passage of music that brings you to tears. They are my favorite American band; apologies to The Beach Boys, the Velvets, the Dolls, and P-Funk.

Don't know that this doc will convert many non-believers, though; it feels a bit more aimed at fans to me. Anyways, highly recommended, very emotional trip.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 7, 2017 17:16

LongBeachArena72
Don't know that this doc will convert many non-believers, though; it feels a bit more aimed at fans to me. Anyways, highly recommended, very emotional trip.

I feel its that ultimate catch 22. Its sort of aimed at non-Deadheads to get a wide audience, but at this point you either know whether you like or want to give the Grateful Dead a chance or not. Who's gonna really sit there and watch a 4 hour documentary about it if you're not already invested in the band? The small amount that I guess will flock people of good reviews and don't have a bias against the band, and I guess Scorcese fans as well. But yeah, it seems like its for casual fans despite the fact that it'll be mostly Deadheads that watch it and know this stuff already.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: June 7, 2017 18:01

"I saw them only once--in the summer of 1972--and didn't appreciate them much at the time."

- heh... nor did my friend who saw them in 1976:

My first Who show (dork content)

(lousy foto I took)

So me, my girlfriend, my brother and some chick with a car drove 5 hours from Carson City, NV to Oakland Stadium. I insisted we leave at 3:00 in the morning or something....so we could get there early and get up close. This was very exciting.

Bill Graham prided himself on the diverse bills of his shows. Opening band for the Who that day was The Grateful Dead.

So we get into the stadium and run up to the front of the lawn by the stage and claim our spot. After awhile The Dead come on and everything is groovy you know.....

Four hours later...apologies in advance to any Dead fans.....but good f**king Christ!!!......that's a long ass opening band....sitting in the sun....waiting for The Who....all this bitterness I have didn't come from a vacuum....I earned it.

Anyway, I was young...I took it like a man, but I hated the Grateful Dead for many many years afterward.

I'll never forget when The Who finally came on. First Bill Graham introduces them and then Keith and Pete ran onto the stage with Pete chasing Keith around the drumset Keystone Cops style, Roger comes out and does a cartwheel, Entwistle strolls on, cool as can be, and bang, all of a sudden, it was all worth it.

October 10.1976:
Oakland, Stadium
I Can't Explain
Substitute
My Wife
Baba O'Riley
Squeeze Box
Behind Blue Eyes
Dreaming From The Waist
Magic Bus
Amazing Journey
Sparks
The Acid Queen
Fiddle About
Pinball Wizard
I'm Free
Tommy's Holiday Camp
We're Not Gonna Take It
Summertime Blues
My Generation
Join Together
My Generation Blues
Won't Get Fooled Again
Shakin' All Over,
Spoonful
Johnny B. Goode

The Shakin' All Over encore was a surprise. The Who weren't 'doing encores' back then, but Bill Graham came out after the last song's applause started to die down, and gave a double thumbs up signal to the audience to keep cheering, and he somehow guilted an encore out of them.

Only slightly dull moment was maybe Squeeze Box in retrospect.

The stadium was a little more than 2/3 full. The Who/Dead did 2 shows that weekend.

*text & photo -- Blair Miller, San Francisco

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-07 18:07 by Milan.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: June 7, 2017 21:44

Milan
"I saw them only once--in the summer of 1972--and didn't appreciate them much at the time."

- heh... nor did my friend who saw them in 1976:

My first Who show (dork content)

(lousy foto I took)

So me, my girlfriend, my brother and some chick with a car drove 5 hours from Carson City, NV to Oakland Stadium. I insisted we leave at 3:00 in the morning or something....so we could get there early and get up close. This was very exciting.

Bill Graham prided himself on the diverse bills of his shows. Opening band for the Who that day was The Grateful Dead.

So we get into the stadium and run up to the front of the lawn by the stage and claim our spot. After awhile The Dead come on and everything is groovy you know.....

Four hours later...apologies in advance to any Dead fans.....but good f**king Christ!!!......that's a long ass opening band....sitting in the sun....waiting for The Who....all this bitterness I have didn't come from a vacuum....I earned it.

Anyway, I was young...I took it like a man, but I hated the Grateful Dead for many many years afterward.

I'll never forget when The Who finally came on. First Bill Graham introduces them and then Keith and Pete ran onto the stage with Pete chasing Keith around the drumset Keystone Cops style, Roger comes out and does a cartwheel, Entwistle strolls on, cool as can be, and bang, all of a sudden, it was all worth it.

October 10.1976:
Oakland, Stadium
I Can't Explain
Substitute
My Wife
Baba O'Riley
Squeeze Box
Behind Blue Eyes
Dreaming From The Waist
Magic Bus
Amazing Journey
Sparks
The Acid Queen
Fiddle About
Pinball Wizard
I'm Free
Tommy's Holiday Camp
We're Not Gonna Take It
Summertime Blues
My Generation
Join Together
My Generation Blues
Won't Get Fooled Again
Shakin' All Over,
Spoonful
Johnny B. Goode

The Shakin' All Over encore was a surprise. The Who weren't 'doing encores' back then, but Bill Graham came out after the last song's applause started to die down, and gave a double thumbs up signal to the audience to keep cheering, and he somehow guilted an encore out of them.

Only slightly dull moment was maybe Squeeze Box in retrospect.

The stadium was a little more than 2/3 full. The Who/Dead did 2 shows that weekend.

*text & photo -- Blair Miller, San Francisco

I was also at this concert (Saturday) and I was sooooo mellow after the

Grateful Dead set appearance that started at 11am..

and here come The Who to perform their set..the opening notes of "I Can't

Explain" was like a hard slap in the face and Entwistle's bass and Moon's

drums blew me away not to mention Townsend's windmill chords.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-07 21:46 by reg thorpe.

Date: June 8, 2017 03:21

[/quote]

[/quote]

Steve Hoffman forum review of Dick's Pick's 33:

DP 33 – 10/9-10/76 – 5 stars – 10/9 is one of my all-time favorite shows, and has been since I first heard it broadcast on the Grateful Dead hour back in 1995 or so. 1st set has one of my favorite Scarlets and Sugarees ever. Set 2 features a long, relaxed Help>Slip>Frank, with drums and Samson thrown in the middle. 10/10 features a cool Playin’ and a wild Other One in the second set. The Dead shared the bill with The Who for these shows. What a weekend for music this must have been (if you were there)

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: June 8, 2017 05:30

Enjoyed the movie. Four hours in a theatre wasn't ideal, but the intermission helped.

Did Truckin' even get mentioned in the entire movie? Music was playing throughout, but I also felt it didn't tell enough of the music-making story.

Maybe more than 4 hours was needed to tell the whole story, or maybe they lingered too long on Jerry's issues.

Date: June 8, 2017 05:54

LongBeachArena72
I saw them only once--in the summer of 1972--and didn't appreciate them much at the time. Too into Stones/Zeppelin/Bowie/Stooges to spend much time with a band of boring old hippies. But my god how they have enriched my life over the past five years or so ... what an incredible band, what a unique, fascinating cultural force they were.

Same here as I only saw them once in Buffalo in 1977. (A much better show than Cornell 1977 IMO) Passed on the other shows in later years for the same reasons.

Funny, I could have written the same paragraph.

Posted by: stoneskid ()
Date: June 8, 2017 14:25

Anyone notice that Sam is wearing a skull ring in the interview?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 8, 2017 16:17

The Sicilian
LongBeachArena72

Same here as I only saw them once in Buffalo in 1977. (A much better show than Cornell 1977 IMO) Passed on the other shows in later years for the same reasons.

Funny, I could have written the same paragraph.

I bit the bullet and got the recently released "Shown the Light"(May 5,7,8,9 1977) where the Betty masters finally made their way back to GDP. What a huge disappointment so far thru 5/8. The recordings are very dull and performances come off lackluster. I love the Dead and seldomly get disappointed. Not one of Garcia's finest. Too many Peggy-O's, They Love Each Others and Row Jimmy's. The packaging on the box set is fantastic. Last year's July '78 box set was much much better.

Date: June 8, 2017 20:34

Maindefender
I bit the bullet and got the recently released "Shown the Light"(May 5,7,8,9 1977) where the Betty masters finally made their way back to GDP. What a huge disappointment so far thru 5/8. The recordings are very dull and performances come off lackluster. I love the Dead and seldomly get disappointed. Not one of Garcia's finest. Too many Peggy-O's, They Love Each Others and Row Jimmy's. The packaging on the box set is fantastic. Last year's July '78 box set was much much better.

Ahh, man, that IS disappointing. I LOVE those shows. Although I might have a different reaction to the set than you since "Row Jimmy" is among my favorite Dead workouts of all time.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 8, 2017 21:25

LongBeachArena72
Maindefender

Ahh, man, that IS disappointing. I LOVE those shows. Although I might have a different reaction to the set than you since "Row Jimmy" is among my favorite Dead workouts of all time.

I've had the shows forever, maybe the hype exceeded my expectations. But I've heard far too many GD soundboards to know these are stale. Last years '78 release kicked its' ass!! Hopefully the next Dave's Picks will satisfy!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home