Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT--Long Strange Trip: The Untold Story of the Grateful Dead
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 9, 2017 02:32

Maindefender
LongBeachArena72
Maindefender
I bit the bullet and got the recently released "Shown the Light"(May 5,7,8,9 1977) where the Betty masters finally made their way back to GDP. What a huge disappointment so far thru 5/8. The recordings are very dull and performances come off lackluster. I love the Dead and seldomly get disappointed. Not one of Garcia's finest. Too many Peggy-O's, They Love Each Others and Row Jimmy's. The packaging on the box set is fantastic. Last year's July '78 box set was much much better.

Ahh, man, that IS disappointing. I LOVE those shows. Although I might have a different reaction to the set than you since "Row Jimmy" is among my favorite Dead workouts of all time.

I've had the shows forever, maybe the hype exceeded my expectations. But I've heard far too many GD soundboards to know these are stale. Last years '78 release kicked its' ass!! Hopefully the next Dave's Picks will satisfy!!

Back to the doc for a minute: I loved that story from the sound guy about the performance of "morning dew" at the lyceum in london: watching Jerry from backstage find his way so deeply into his solo that night that as he played with his back to the audience tears streamed down his face and he soared into rarefied air.

What was the '78 release from last year--do you have a link?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1468
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home