Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Are musicians better performers and or more creative when stoned?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 20, 2011 22:05

I think most artists would agree that drugs can be an inspiration when in the first stages, and then eventually it drags you down. I don't necessarily think artists are no good after they get clean. I think it's that by the time they get clean they've dragged their bodies and minds through hell.

Keith is a great example of someone who flourished early on, and then slowly degraded. He was pretty so-so for years on stage until he got (relatively) cleaned up and started playing better on stage. Jagger's worst vocal performance, on Saturday Night Live 1978, was supposedly brought on by coke use, which screws up the vocal cords.

I can't think of any long term heroin using musicians who got better because of the drug. Some of them regained some of their old form after quitting. I know as a writer that I can't function unless my mind is clean. If I get loaded on a Saturday night, nothing good is coming out of my head until maybe Monday, possibly Tuesday.

Someone mentioned that Frank Zappa didn't do drugs. Well, yes, he did. He was a nicotine and caffeine addict, which might have contributed to his prostate cancer. I think some artists are good in spite of the drugs, not because of them. Like a girl who is pretty in spite of a tattoo.

And for someone who thinks only those artists who are addicts or heavy users are great, there are plenty of Artie Shaws, Benny Goodmans, Duke Ellingtons, Bruce Springsteens, and plenty others who barely indulged or kept it light with a little pot or a couple drinks.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: October 20, 2011 22:08

24FPS
And for someone who thinks only those artists who are addicts or heavy users are great, there are plenty of Artie Shaws, Benny Goodmans, Duke Ellingtons, Bruce Springsteens, and plenty others who barely indulged or kept it light with a little pot or a couple drinks.

Add Chuck Berry & Bo Diddley, arguably The Stones biggest two influences.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 20, 2011 22:37

24FPS
I think most artists would agree that drugs can be an inspiration when in the first stages, and then eventually it drags you down. I don't necessarily think artists are no good after they get clean. I think it's that by the time they get clean they've dragged their bodies and minds through hell.

Keith is a great example of someone who flourished early on, and then slowly degraded. He was pretty so-so for years on stage until he got (relatively) cleaned up and started playing better on stage. Jagger's worst vocal performance, on Saturday Night Live 1978, was supposedly brought on by coke use, which screws up the vocal cords.

I can't think of any long term heroin using musicians who got better because of the drug. Some of them regained some of their old form after quitting. I know as a writer that I can't function unless my mind is clean. If I get loaded on a Saturday night, nothing good is coming out of my head until maybe Monday, possibly Tuesday.

Someone mentioned that Frank Zappa didn't do drugs. Well, yes, he did. He was a nicotine and caffeine addict, which might have contributed to his prostate cancer. I think some artists are good in spite of the drugs, not because of them. Like a girl who is pretty in spite of a tattoo.

kill-joy

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 20, 2011 22:42

24FPS
I think most artists would agree that drugs can be an inspiration when in the first stages, and then eventually it drags you down...

Yes, but we would never get those great songs without that initial drugged-up inspiration. Bottom line, if you want greatness, you need to do H.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: October 21, 2011 04:36

LeonidP
24FPS
I think most artists would agree that drugs can be an inspiration when in the first stages, and then eventually it drags you down...

Yes, but we would never get those great songs without that initial drugged-up inspiration. Bottom line, if you want greatness, you need to do H.

You're joking, of course...if not, I'd be worried...Your definition of greatness is all subjective...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 21, 2011 06:50

palerider22
LeonidP
24FPS

You're joking, of course...if not, I'd be worried...Your definition of greatness is all subjective...

Actually I'm not joking. My favorite bands have member(s) that have been addicted to some drug or another. Although I am willing to concede that possibly the mental makeup has something to do w/ it. i.e. The musicians that have the mind to write the great songs I enjoy, also happen to be more adventurous and take chances (such as w/ drugs) - meaning it is possible that their great tunes are not a direct result of the drugs. But still I can't completely dismiss it.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 21, 2011 07:15

Yes,no,maybe.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 21, 2011 10:27

I don't think it's any difference in the music but it is in the atmosphere that junkies music spreads (thinking mostly of 50ies Jazz). I have tons of CDs with Swedish Jazz from this era, and nearly 100 % of them musicians is clean contrary to our american friends...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 21, 2011 12:48

A musicscian is best when he or she is really focused. That could be when he or she is stoned.

Date: October 21, 2011 15:35

Come On
I don't think it's any difference in the music but it is in the atmosphere that junkies music spreads (thinking mostly of 50ies Jazz). I have tons of CDs with Swedish Jazz from this era, and nearly 100 % of them musicians is clean contrary to our american friends...

i love the swedes...they make great cars, meatballs, etc...but swedish jazz is not quite up there with their meatballs...maybe smacked up with a little H would be wise....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-21 15:36 by StonesTod.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 21, 2011 15:42

StonesTod
Come On

i love the swedes...they make great cars, meatballs, etc...but swedish jazz is not quite up there with their meatballs...maybe smacked up with a little H would be wise....

Actually we have some guys that's up there if you listens to Lars Gullin and Christer Boustedt (both H-smackers)...

Gullin & Boustedt

Date: October 21, 2011 15:44

you see? now, what's the harm of a little smack? we get better music...you live a shorter life, which is always a great career move anyway. it's win-win.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 21, 2011 16:16

StonesTod
you see? now, what's the harm of a little smack? we get better music...you live a shorter life, which is always a great career move anyway. it's win-win.

Well, many died premature, in many caseswinking smiley. We don't how they would have sounded without H. Michael Brecker surely played beter after he quit H and Coke after 1980.
The same for Barry Finnerty. (Coke)

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 21, 2011 16:34

Frank Zappa was very creative off and on stage, and was know to be very opposed to all kind of drugs. Of course, he smoked like a chimney, but that doesn't count. It only kills you.

Date: October 21, 2011 16:46

Koen
Frank Zappa was very creative off and on stage, and was know to be very opposed to all kind of drugs. Of course, he smoked like a chimney, but that doesn't count. It only kills you.

sadly, what we'll never know is how much better frank would've been all smacked up on h. what a cruel world we live in.

Date: October 21, 2011 16:51

Crap of course. Zappa played this without coke smoking smiley It sounds like though.. He even fired a player cause of using cocaine.

Date: October 21, 2011 16:52

Amsterdamned
Zappa played this without coke smoking smiley He even fired a player cause of using cocaine.

i love frank but, man...he could be such a twat sometimes.

Date: October 21, 2011 16:55

StonesTod
Amsterdamned
Zappa played this without coke smoking smiley He even fired a player cause of using cocaine.

Ever worked with coke heads in music? I have. Horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: pagodapete ()
Date: October 21, 2011 16:57

Come On
StonesTod
Come On

Actually we have some guys that's up there if you listens to Lars Gullin and Christer Boustedt (both H-smackers)...

Gullin & Boustedt

well those two guys are really geniuses. but not very known here in sweden outside "the jazz sphere" you know. they did a lot of drugs. and created beautiful music.

actually we dont eat that many meatballs here, and we did actually import them from Turkey by Karl the twelfth in the 17th century... Actually the most common food here is kebab och pizza. which is great. there's no "ur"-typical swedish food, we've imported all the good stuff from arabic countries, finland, norway, france, poland, italy russia etc.. smiling smiley Offtopic, sorry.

Date: October 21, 2011 17:00

Amsterdamned
StonesTod
Amsterdamned

it's not about the experience for the musicians or the bandleaders...it's about the product and how much enjoyment is derived by the listening public. you musicians can be so annoying with your selfishnesss sometimes.

Date: October 21, 2011 17:02

no meatball-eating in sweden? you mean you just export all these meatballs to us poor americans at ikea cos you can't stand them yourselves?

Date: October 21, 2011 17:02

anita o'day did a lot of heroin.
I wonder if it was common among other jazz ladies at that time?

Date: October 21, 2011 17:03

StonesTod
Amsterdamned
StonesTod
Amsterdamned

it's not about the experience for the musicians or the bandleaders...it's about the product and how much enjoyment is derived by the listening public. you musicians can be so annoying with your selfishnesss sometimes.

Have a line. cool smiley

Date: October 21, 2011 17:08

Must go PTA on yo ass now: look at steely dan. great band, never did drugs.
(maybe some "doobies" occasionally ,doesn't count)

Date: October 21, 2011 17:08

pagodapete

ask billie...oh, wait....

Date: October 21, 2011 17:11

StonesTod
pagodapete

ask billie...oh, wait....

oh I forgot about her confused smiley where is my mind. in sweden that's why!!!!!!!

Date: October 21, 2011 17:16

pagodapete
Must go PTA on yo ass now: look at steely dan. great band, never did drugs.
(maybe some "doobies" occasionally ,doesn't count)

Agreed, they where great playing coke heads in the beginning, but without they became better imo.

It's about the difference in the end grinning smiley

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 21, 2011 18:38

Sometimes it doesn't matter at all if the musicians are on dope or not.

Date: October 21, 2011 19:54

for you drug-haters out there, i suppose next you are going to tell me that rocknroll is better without the sex too? when will all this nonsense stop!???

Date: October 21, 2011 20:22

StonesTod
for you drug-haters out there, i suppose next you are going to tell me that rocknroll is better without the sex too? when will all this nonsense stop!???

take it easy senõr! i'm not a drug hater. i just say it's not for me. and rocknroll without sex are u kidding me?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1113
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home