Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
thanks HMS, I'm now digging DW...
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 13, 2017 04:05

...well, this demos bootleg anyway.

I dont really know the released album very well (the few listens I've had haven't encouraged me to come back much), but after HMS's constant bigging up of DW, I decided to explore some early takes...

And am enjoying it rather a lot! Harmlem Shuffle sounds just splendid with Bobby W on full on duet vocals.

Thanks HMS

(and, GLS - try this, you might like it!)

Re: thanks HMS, I'm now digging DW...
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 13, 2017 05:26

.....AWWW yeah ... Some Of Us Are On Our Kneeeeeeeeees ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 13, 2017 05:27

Briefly I thought HMS had a convert, alas just another one of us who prefers the early takes. As for me, you can't fault the 45 of "Harlem Shuffle" backed with "Had It With You." Never did a single so misrepresent the quality of the parent album.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 13, 2017 06:30

Rocky Dijon
Briefly I thought HMS had a convert, alas just another one of us who prefers the early takes. As for me, you can't fault the 45 of "Harlem Shuffle" backed with "Had It With You." Never did a single so misrepresent the quality of the parent album.

Exactly.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 13, 2017 06:32

peoplewitheyes
...well, this demos bootleg anyway.

I dont really know the released album very well (the few listens I've had haven't encouraged me to come back much), but after HMS's constant bigging up of DW, I decided to explore some early takes...

And am enjoying it rather a lot! Harmlem Shuffle sounds just splendid with Bobby W on full on duet vocals.

Thanks HMS

(and, GLS - try this, you might like it!)

It's a shame when the live studio/etc bootlegs are better than the album - and there's a lot more that's never been heard, to my knowledge.

Regardless, it will always be their worst ever album.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 13, 2017 07:19

Rocky Dijon

Well, Had It You is a throwaway, but Harlem Shuffle might be their last great single, with Bill Wyman's full rubbery style on display. But I think Undercover of the Night is the one that really misrepresented an even bigger disappointment of an album. At least Dirty Work has two or three good songs.

Date: May 13, 2017 08:13

I really like UNDERCOVER especially Side one. I don't think the title track misled listeners. It was the same familiar meets modern formula that marked the EMI or second Atlantic contract from start to finish. I would never call "Had It With You" filler either. Mick's harp, those guitars, the vocal, the drum sound, the killer opening - it was all perfect to me then and now.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 13, 2017 08:31

I always liked Harlem Shuffle as a cover, and when first released I liked the title track - not so much anymore, but there's some decent guitar throughout.
Listening right now on youtube, and the last minute kind of fumbles aimlessly and fizzles out clumsily into oblivion.

All in all, not their greatest album by a long shot (obviously), but I think there's possibly more redeeming qualities to it than Steel Wheels, Bridges, and even A Bigger Bang - even if just slightly.
On second thought, maybe not - they're all really quite miserable for the most part, and any rankings are pretty much meaningless. They're all better than any Mick solo albums - I'll concede that much.

Date: May 13, 2017 08:31

Lurv Undercover .... so much ahappenin' ....
Had It With you ... rock bottom solid foundation stuff ... ya could build a mile high tower on that song ...

ROCKMAN

Date: May 13, 2017 08:54

Like SW the outtakes beat the album. The original keith/Ron songs are s good, and so riff based that they would have needed a lot of band chemistry to get right. because they end up sounding terrible with Jagger trying to forcibly submit the songs to his style; in rushed attempts.
A cool riff like 'Deep Love' would have ended up in a mess like 'Hold back'.
"She Never listens To Me" is superb. Just great

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 13, 2017 09:16

24FPS
Harlem Shuffle might be their last great single, with Bill Wyman's full rubbery style on display.
You know I've recently acquired a CD comp that has a title something like "Hard to Find Jukebox Hits of 1964" and I must say the original recording features a bass player that has an even fuller, more rubbery sound than Bill, and the drummer doesn't play as stiffly as Charlie does on the Stones cover. So I much prefer the original at this point -- it has more of a "Harlem" shuffle.

Dirty Work actually does have some good songs, despite the dated 80s production.

Sad to say, the dreadful overproduction of A Bigger Gangbang makes Dirty Work seem like a gem.

Are there good songs on ABB? Frankly, it's hard to tell.

Maybe they should have called ABB Dirtier Work.

Can't say much for Charlie's lead drums on ABB, especially that crash symbol soloing -- a bit like Spinal Tap's vision of "lead bass".

Too much bottom is just over the top.

A Bigger Gangbang makes Dirty Work sound like Beggars Banquet.

Date: May 13, 2017 09:23

You guys are harder than I am on this stuff. I like STEEL WHEELS. Some of it I think is terrific (Continental Drift, Terrifying, Almost Hear You Sigh, Break the Spell, Slipping Away, Fancy Man Blues). I still love VOODOO LOUNGE and BRIDGES TO BABYLON despite the odd misstep lyrically and musically. Hard as I am on A BIGGER BANG, there's still tracks I love (Rain Fall Down, Biggest Mistake, Dangerous Beauty, Laugh I Nearly Died, Look What the Cat Dragged In). And while I am hard on DIRTY WORK, I'd never fault the guitar playing and I don't think Mick ruined the songs or blame him for not bringing material to the table. The latter I suspect is a bit of a tall tale on Keith's part since the outtakes make it clear they labored over the tracks together during the songwriting sessions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-13 09:24 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: May 13, 2017 09:26

Above all it's the production that pulls Dirty Work down ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: z ()
Date: May 13, 2017 09:39

stonehearted
Can't say much for Charlie's lead drums on ABB, especially that crash symbol soloing -- a bit like Spinal Tap's vision of "lead bass".

Charlie is a brilliant crash soloist. I always loved his crash solo at the very end of CYHMK.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: May 13, 2017 10:58

I was always shocked and surprised how much everyone except HMS hated this album when i have read the posts on iorr over the past few years.

Its was a good album compared to the competition out there at the time it was released, and it had some real gems on it like Sleep Tonight and Too Rude.
One Hit To The Body is fantastic and throughout the album there are some good hard rocking guitars like on the title Track DW. What let the album down mostly was Micks lyrics and unfortunate way of singing on songs like Back To Zero and Winning Ugly, he sounds like he is having a heated argument while having a full mouthful of chewing gum.

Ok its a sub par Stones album but its still a good album, just a pity Mick was more interested in concentrating on his solo career at the time it was made.

Date: May 13, 2017 11:58

ROCKMAN

Posted by: z ()
Date: May 13, 2017 12:32

Back in the day, when DW was coming out, there was still some hope in us for the Stones to return to their greatness. We weren't the cynical old men that we are today, s4e. Of course after the dust settles you go out looking for a ray of light, but your first reaction is 'shit, what a disaster!' And that feeling stays with you forever. DW was traumatic.

Date: May 13, 2017 12:36

Rocky Dijon
You guys are harder than I am on this stuff. I like STEEL WHEELS. Some of it I think is terrific (Continental Drift, Terrifying, Almost Hear You Sigh, Break the Spell, Slipping Away, Fancy Man Blues). I still love VOODOO LOUNGE and BRIDGES TO BABYLON despite the odd misstep lyrically and musically. Hard as I am on A BIGGER BANG, there's still tracks I love (Rain Fall Down, Biggest Mistake, Dangerous Beauty, Laugh I Nearly Died, Look What the Cat Dragged In). And while I am hard on DIRTY WORK, I'd never fault the guitar playing and I don't think Mick ruined the songs or blame him for not bringing material to the table. The latter I suspect is a bit of a tall tale on Keith's part since the outtakes make it clear they labored over the tracks together during the songwriting sessions.

thumbs up

And the DW collaboration-part is indeed a tall tale. Listen to the last song on Crushed Pearl. Not much WWIII going on there smiling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 13, 2017 13:04

Had the band been into it and had Keith been able to work with Mick and had Mick not been obsessed with the far superior 80s stars this could have been a rough raw rock album with a similar following as Black n blue. The demos sound better but the writing is on the wall - not in the songs. HMS has a point but production, lack of group co work and lack of good songs and direction ruins it. Keith is on fire but his cocaine-riffing needs songs and needs to be tamed or at least accompaigned by the mellow Keith. Not midaged reggae Keith or snooze crooner Keith. Sadly some of his creativity has to do with the right chemical mix and trends. Thief in the night is an example of the other Keith (great vocals, no need to add a jerky riff). Infamy too. His solo records suffer from his bad vocals and nervous riffing.
He shared that specific riff obsession with the late great Lou Reed.

Date: May 13, 2017 13:17

Redhotcarpet
Had the band been into it and had Keith been able to work with Mick and had Mick not been obsessed with the far superior 80s stars this could have been a rough raw rock album with a similar following as Black n blue. The demos sound better but the writing is on the wall - not in the songs. HMS has a point but production, lack of group co work and lack of good songs and direction ruins it. Keith is on fire but his cocaine-riffing needs songs and needs to be tamed or at least accompaigned by the mellow Keith. Not midaged reggae Keith or snooze crooner Keith. Sadly some of his creativity has to do with the right chemical mix and trends. Thief in the night is an example of the other Keith (great vocals, no need to add a jerky riff). Infamy too. His solo records suffer from his bad vocals and nervous riffing.
He shared that specific riff obsession with the late great Lou Reed.

Lots of insight here Redhotcarpet.

Interesting how you describe Keith in these years with the cocaine riffing, i thought, well i have always thought this was a period when had the Stones toured Keith would have been on fire. A blistering coke filled blaze of energy with Mick alongside keeping his competitive end up. This would have been a great time for them to have toured from a spectators point of view.
Under the circumstances it might have spelled the end of their friendship once and for all, so perhaps it's for the best they left the touring out until the dust settled.

Date: May 13, 2017 13:31

z
Back in the day, when DW was coming out, there was still some hope in us for the Stones to return to their greatness. We weren't the cynical old men that we are today, s4e. Of course after the dust settles you go out looking for a ray of light, but your first reaction is 'shit, what a disaster!' And that feeling stays with you forever. DW was traumatic.

I know i am completely out of favor here but i loved it when i first played DW.
I'm with HMS on this one, i find myself put off of DW by peoples comments, same with Crosseyed Heart. This is the reason i will probably give this place a wide birth. I loved my Rolling Stones until i came here lol. What people expect from a touring band well into their 70's is ridiculous, and as for comparing them over the past 30 years to their early work is even more ridiculous.

At the end of the day all of their albums are good to brilliant , and all their tours and performances are between great and incredible.

The point i make is that Dirty Work was a refreshing release at the time from all the sympathizers and wet bands like Duran Duran and Erasure. Music in Britain was at an all time low at this point.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 13, 2017 14:23

z

yeh i guess some 'real' fans will not appreciate this but there was about a dozen or so years when nothing they did was particularly interesting to me except live shows; i'll always be curious about that. I'd see Live At The Max or any concert film but the records didn't mean anything to me until vl when i thought they were at least working, trying, not coasting and putting out stuff i didn't connect to or care about. I even attended sw '89 tho i didn't relate to the album; the best i can say about that night is guns & roses were fabulous. dirty boys with clean loud sound; really loud...really ripping. wasn't expecting that but they delivered in a big way.
vl had some things i cared about and appreciated; i was curious about Darryl; i thought some of the stuff engaging and fun but very little of it has stood the test of time particularly; tho i do have some favorites on that one.
that's pretty much it; by the time abb i had different expectations; i was thouroughly through with Don Was, wrecker of Dylan album and his whole sound; i don't care about his sterling resume, he does not know how to get air and reality into a drum kit, he'll just turn it up too loud, then compress and limit it; then turn THAT up loud, and everthing else loudness wars one dimensional wall of hyper effected plastic. it is not even really that hard to get a great drum sound; they've done better on four track...
...lillywhite deserves a portion of the blame if not all of it; that record should be re-mixed before anyone has to go through that again...i think i know why HMS digs it; the songs are good often, and the guitars are intense; keith and ron are on board and working hard...
how u gonna have a rolling stones album when charlie is on 3 tracks or so...maybe just 3. shirley is dragging him out of there, saving his life and family probably...it's not even a Stones album. Keith and Ron so valiant there. somebody let them down bigtime....aside from charlies absence and mick's one dimensional scream performances on a lot of it...well bill musta been thinking hmmmmm maybe if i got a stick and looked in the sand i'd find some shit on the beach....

'86 had Graceland by Paul Simon and Bruce Springsteen Live with a lot of that rockin' stuff from River when it was fresh...
...i was more into dwight yoakum and steve earle's first album, and the first of many from them I'd really get into...this was great stripped down rock 'n roll full of trad country soul not pop country...the players were fantastic...and of course the Stones catalog never left me; but i wasn't into DW, i hadn't been into Undercover or the stuff when they were trying out this and that, more following than leading with their own committed intentional stuff imo...
but for 'new' stuff that year i was honing in on steve earle, on his 2nd Exit 0, i knew i had a real find...and ended up seeing him about a million times with The Dukes in their full on power u can hear on that Canadian live album they cut...I did see him first when Guitar Town was his only LP and it was intense...i had the same thrill of reality that i had with all the best bands, regardless of blues rock or what kind of rock...if '86 was a banner year in any way as far as new releases that i got into it was dwight and steve's first LP's...i'd see Steve solo many times as well...John Hiatt was writing extremely great stuff, Bring the Family with Keltner and Ry was just around the corner...that record totally got me...i was going in more that direction I guess. i wanted the best songwriters and got them. these guys were for real and knew their direction...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-13 14:46 by hopkins.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 13, 2017 14:49

A few of the tracks are a bit grizzly - "Fight" - "Hold Back" - "Back to Zero" - "Dirty Work" - but the rest of the tracks are fine - as a whole I've always thought it was a great work out album - as per the cartoon insert..........

Plus, as a Keith album it probably made him realise how much he needed Mick's focussed input to make an acclaimed record - "Mick's commercial tendencies ain't all that bad afterall", after all they did get keith his penthouse in NYC and allow him to keep Redlands........

Date: May 13, 2017 15:19

Rocky Dijon

I don't believe that the main fault w/ DW is the production. The 80's weren't kind to any of the 60/70's rock bands. The big studio advances were tailored towards the mchines, and we had not yet reconciled them with organic guitars.
But no amount of gloss was going to fix bad songs.
Hold Back, Fight, the second half of title cut, Sleep - these are not good songs. Yes, the boots show us that Mick did work with the band; but who knows what it was? It just didn't happen. Was Mick distracted?
Looking back now I think Dw would have made a good Keith solo album. Because the scratch vocals on the outtakes all have Keith vocals, and Mick can not get that fluid phrasing that Keith can do. The sessions, and thereby the flavor of the songs, the album was stacked way too heavy in Keith's direction.
Like I said earlier, it sounds like Mick is trying to will these songs into his shape; literally screaming them into submission.
The other Stones album that seems to be so fatally lop sided is ABB, and it's the second offender.
I am sometimes surprised that Babylon doesn't have more fans here. I love that album. IMO a real success. yes, a good bit of experimentation; but it worked.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: May 13, 2017 15:59

A Dirty Work review from 1986 which is quite open and shows good knowledge of the Stones at that stage in their career.

By Jon Pareles Rolling Stone Magazine
March 24, 1986

Do we ask too much of the Rolling Stones? Here they are with Dirty Work, their umpteenth American album since 1964 — actually their twenty-first, not counting greatest-hits compilations, EPs and live recordings — and they're still making rock that crunches and snickers and yowls. Is that enough? Through twenty-four years, the Stones have been low-class, high-class, crude, tony, showbizzy, uppity, smarmy, careerist and more diversely ironic than any other band. And they've taught everyone since the baby boom how to listen to rock — with affection, cynicism and both feet on the dance floor. When Mick Jagger sings, "Hear the voice of experience," in Dirty Work's "Hold Back," he ain't kidding.
All Stories
The Stones' music has sniffed at every trend from psychedelia to disco, yet it's gone nowhere slowly; it's still basically the same warped Chicago blues they started with (especially on Dirty Work in "Had It With You"), plus a little reggae. Amid ups and downs, they've always known how to make a solid rock record in ways Mr. Mister or the Pet Shop Boys could never imagine. Yet every time the Stones get around to releasing an album, we expect them to do more — to take us by surprise, make us laugh and gawk, tell us what the hell is going on.
Dirty Work does that, but only now and then; it's more like a product than a statement, although it's a little of both. With "Winning Ugly" and "Dirty Work," this is the Stones album for the yuppie era, defining — and defying — the complacent nastiness of the mid-1980s as "Gimme Shelter" caught the crumbling hopes of the late Sixties and early Seventies. "I wrap my conscience up," Jagger spits out on "Winning Ugly." "I wanna win that cup and get my money, baby"; this tune won't be on the party tape at the business-school reunion. "Dirty Work" takes an extra ironic flip. Addressed to some hypothetical "you" who will "sit on your ass till your work is done" by someone else, the song runs, "You're a user, I hate ya." Is the song about the audience that depends on the Stones for its sleaze quotient? About the record company? Or the Stones themselves, well-documented users of people and substances?
I wish more of Dirty Work had such fine-tuned ambiguity. As a whole, the album's music and lyrics just don't stack up against Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street or Undercover; it's solid, not spectacular. Each side feels incomplete; it sounds like it was made on deadline.
Maybe it was. Dirty Work, the first group album in the Stones' big-bucks CBS Records deal (following Jagger's misfire solo album, She's the Boss), openly advertises its corporate character with art-directed MTV colors on its cover, the band's first lyric sheet ever in the United States and a name coproducer, Steve Lillywhite, who joins Glimmer Twins Jagger and Richards. Lillywhite doesn't give the album the booming drum tone he's known for, but the beat sometimes gets more metronomic than Charlie Watts's usual bedrock thump; while the credits don't say who did what, studio drummer Anton Fig does show up on the list. And unlike most Stones tracks, which give the illusion of a live band bashing away, a few songs sound cobbled together on tape — especially "Hold Back." Even with Lillywhite on knobs, Dirty Work doesn't sound overly slick like Tattoo You; it's got the old raunch.
Still, "Fight" and "Had It with You" seem left over from 1983's Undercover, the Stones' rudest, bleakest and most political statement on how sex meets violence. That album made connections between private S&M and public power madness; by contrast, Dirty Work just plays its punch-her-out songs for shock value, taboo breaking by the numbers. "One Hit (to the Body)," the album's second single, repeats the ever popular equation of love and addiction. Then there's an anti-World War III number, "Back to Zero," which features Chuck Leavell's swaggering keyboards; a ballad for Keith Richards to sing, "Sleep Tonight"; and two covers (including the first single, "Harlem Shuffle").
Dirty Work could be better — more unified, less posed. But that's judging it against the Stones catalog. On its own terms, Dirty Work has its share of memorable moments. "Sleep Tonight," which may be addressed to a drug casualty (or is it an ex-lover?), is just about as creepy as Keith Richards intends it to be; "Harlem Shuffle" leers in the finely jaded tradition of "Stray Cat Blues." And if, as the prealbum publicity suggested, Dirty Work was put together primarily by the Stones' guitar axis of Richards and Ron Wood (Keith sits at the center of the album cover, too), it shows in the wondrous snarl of guitar parts all over the album.
Unlike most of the hook-mad bands of the 1980s, the Stones assume their listeners can handle more than one guitar line at a time. You can take your pick: singing single notes in "Sleep Tonight," reggae and blues and studio-perfect hooks in "Winning Ugly," overlapping country twangs in "Dirty Work," sharpened rhythm chops and careening slides in "One Hit." I don't find much true grit in the lyrics to "Hold Back" or "One Hit" or "Had It with You," but the guitars cut through to some rock & roll essence.
As the years wear on, it must get harder to be the legendary Rolling Stones, that famous band of decadent badasses. One week Jagger smiles for photographers at his baby's christening; another week he's in the studio singing, "Gonna pulp you to a mass of bruises," trying to put some gumption into it. Maybe it's all some megaconcept about lack of ethics and insincerity. To me, though, Jagger's She's the Boss, with its cartoonishly cocky lyrics, and Dirty Work both suggest a 1980s identity crisis within the Stones — not as musicians but as pop guerrillas, exiles on Main Street. While "Winning Ugly" and "Dirty Work" show they're still alert, the rest of the album fudges, giving old answers to new questions. I'll still dance to it — and I'll still expect more next time.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 13, 2017 16:43

It's not a good album at all.

Date: May 13, 2017 18:27

EddieByword
A few of the tracks are a bit grizzly - "Fight" - "Hold Back" - "Back to Zero" - "Dirty Work" - but the rest of the tracks are fine - as a whole I've always thought it was a great work out album - as per the cartoon insert..........

Plus, as a Keith album it probably made him realise how much he needed Mick's focussed input to make an acclaimed record - "Mick's commercial tendencies ain't all that bad afterall", after all they did get keith his penthouse in NYC and allow him to keep Redlands........[/q[/b]uote]

Man do you have it all upside down. Keith's genius has given Mick the millions he enjoys today. I mean we are talking about the man who wrote Gimme Shelter here !!
We are talking about the man who's Guitar intro's and riffs put shivers down the spine of anyone with a pulse. Without Keith's instantly recognizable sound there would be no Stones and no gravy. People talk some serious shit on here.
Sure Keith needs Mick the voice of the Stones just as much as Mick has needed Keith, but don't underestimate the axeman.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 13, 2017 18:40

stones40
A Dirty Work review from 1986 which is quite open and shows good knowledge of the Stones at that stage in their career.

By Jon Pareles Rolling Stone Magazine
March 24, 1986

Do we ask too much of the Rolling Stones? Here they are with Dirty Work, their umpteenth American album since 1964 — actually their twenty-first, not counting greatest-hits compilations, EPs and live recordings — and they're still making rock that crunches and snickers and yowls. Is that enough? Through twenty-four years, the Stones have been low-class, high-class, crude, tony, showbizzy, uppity, smarmy, careerist and more diversely ironic than any other band. And they've taught everyone since the baby boom how to listen to rock — with affection, cynicism and both feet on the dance floor. When Mick Jagger sings, "Hear the voice of experience," in Dirty Work's "Hold Back," he ain't kidding.
All Stories
The Stones' music has sniffed at every trend from psychedelia to disco, yet it's gone nowhere slowly; it's still basically the same warped Chicago blues they started with (especially on Dirty Work in "Had It With You"), plus a little reggae. Amid ups and downs, they've always known how to make a solid rock record in ways Mr. Mister or the Pet Shop Boys could never imagine. Yet every time the Stones get around to releasing an album, we expect them to do more — to take us by surprise, make us laugh and gawk, tell us what the hell is going on.
Dirty Work does that, but only now and then; it's more like a product than a statement, although it's a little of both. With "Winning Ugly" and "Dirty Work," this is the Stones album for the yuppie era, defining — and defying — the complacent nastiness of the mid-1980s as "Gimme Shelter" caught the crumbling hopes of the late Sixties and early Seventies. "I wrap my conscience up," Jagger spits out on "Winning Ugly." "I wanna win that cup and get my money, baby"; this tune won't be on the party tape at the business-school reunion. "Dirty Work" takes an extra ironic flip. Addressed to some hypothetical "you" who will "sit on your ass till your work is done" by someone else, the song runs, "You're a user, I hate ya." Is the song about the audience that depends on the Stones for its sleaze quotient? About the record company? Or the Stones themselves, well-documented users of people and substances?
I wish more of Dirty Work had such fine-tuned ambiguity. As a whole, the album's music and lyrics just don't stack up against Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street or Undercover; it's solid, not spectacular. Each side feels incomplete; it sounds like it was made on deadline.
Maybe it was. Dirty Work, the first group album in the Stones' big-bucks CBS Records deal (following Jagger's misfire solo album, She's the Boss), openly advertises its corporate character with art-directed MTV colors on its cover, the band's first lyric sheet ever in the United States and a name coproducer, Steve Lillywhite, who joins Glimmer Twins Jagger and Richards. Lillywhite doesn't give the album the booming drum tone he's known for, but the beat sometimes gets more metronomic than Charlie Watts's usual bedrock thump; while the credits don't say who did what, studio drummer Anton Fig does show up on the list. And unlike most Stones tracks, which give the illusion of a live band bashing away, a few songs sound cobbled together on tape — especially "Hold Back." Even with Lillywhite on knobs, Dirty Work doesn't sound overly slick like Tattoo You; it's got the old raunch.
Still, "Fight" and "Had It with You" seem left over from 1983's Undercover, the Stones' rudest, bleakest and most political statement on how sex meets violence. That album made connections between private S&M and public power madness; by contrast, Dirty Work just plays its punch-her-out songs for shock value, taboo breaking by the numbers. "One Hit (to the Body)," the album's second single, repeats the ever popular equation of love and addiction. Then there's an anti-World War III number, "Back to Zero," which features Chuck Leavell's swaggering keyboards; a ballad for Keith Richards to sing, "Sleep Tonight"; and two covers (including the first single, "Harlem Shuffle").
Dirty Work could be better — more unified, less posed. But that's judging it against the Stones catalog. On its own terms, Dirty Work has its share of memorable moments. "Sleep Tonight," which may be addressed to a drug casualty (or is it an ex-lover?), is just about as creepy as Keith Richards intends it to be; "Harlem Shuffle" leers in the finely jaded tradition of "Stray Cat Blues." And if, as the prealbum publicity suggested, Dirty Work was put together primarily by the Stones' guitar axis of Richards and Ron Wood (Keith sits at the center of the album cover, too), it shows in the wondrous snarl of guitar parts all over the album.
Unlike most of the hook-mad bands of the 1980s, the Stones assume their listeners can handle more than one guitar line at a time. You can take your pick: singing single notes in "Sleep Tonight," reggae and blues and studio-perfect hooks in "Winning Ugly," overlapping country twangs in "Dirty Work," sharpened rhythm chops and careening slides in "One Hit." I don't find much true grit in the lyrics to "Hold Back" or "One Hit" or "Had It with You," but the guitars cut through to some rock & roll essence.
As the years wear on, it must get harder to be the legendary Rolling Stones, that famous band of decadent badasses. One week Jagger smiles for photographers at his baby's christening; another week he's in the studio singing, "Gonna pulp you to a mass of bruises," trying to put some gumption into it. Maybe it's all some megaconcept about lack of ethics and insincerity. To me, though, Jagger's She's the Boss, with its cartoonishly cocky lyrics, and Dirty Work both suggest a 1980s identity crisis within the Stones — not as musicians but as pop guerrillas, exiles on Main Street. While "Winning Ugly" and "Dirty Work" show they're still alert, the rest of the album fudges, giving old answers to new questions. I'll still dance to it — and I'll still expect more next time.

Gosh that's a great piece, ty for posting. He goes pretty deep and touches pretty much everything; and from a more neutral and sympathetic pov in context; and he calls most everything into a better focus for me; glad i got to see this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-13 18:47 by hopkins.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 13, 2017 19:11

stone4ever
EddieByword

Plus, as a Keith album it probably made him realise how much he needed Mick's focussed input to make an acclaimed record - "Mick's commercial tendencies ain't all that bad afterall", after all they did get keith his penthouse in NYC and allow him to keep Redlands........

Man do you have it all upside down. Keith's genius has given Mick the millions he enjoys today. I mean we are talking about the man who wrote Gimme Shelter here !!
We are talking about the man who's Guitar intro's and riffs put shivers down the spine of anyone with a pulse. Without Keith's instantly recognizable sound there would be no Stones and no gravy. People talk some serious shit on here.
Sure Keith needs Mick the voice of the Stones just as much as Mick has needed Keith, but don't underestimate the axeman.

Too rude............

If it hadn't been for Mick the Stones would have faded away after DW especially if Mick's solo efforts had taken off and Keith had produced a 'Stones' sequel on the same level as DW.........Keith would have probably ended up dead/in jail/or even bankrupt (despite having written Gimme Shelter et al....lol......Maybe he wrote it as a plea to Mick.........knowing what was coming in the 80s.

Note. It was Mick that "road tested" the new look with backing singers plus, in Japan and Oz on his solo tours in 1988, which later translated to the Steel wheels / urban jungle tours and all the mega production tours ever since.............
It has been since 1990 where the Stones' serious money has come from.......thanks to Mick.

Mick also wrote Brown sugar which argubably has made as much in royalties if not more as Gimme shelter............
Satisfaction being a joint enterprise Keith music / Mick's lyrics.....JJF of course - Bill's song........

PS....so predictable....I knew someone's cage would get rattled although I didn't write it for that......oh well.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-13 21:27 by EddieByword.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 13, 2017 19:42

z

Yeah, I almost felt embarrassed for them. It was doubly disappointing because I had really liked Undercover.
Also, and I just realized this after looking up the release date, I'd gotten sober a week after the album came out so maybe I was starting to see through some of their bullshit attitudes and saw them as playing a tired old part.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1666
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home