Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Stone Roses Reunite
Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: October 18, 2011 18:37

Re: OT: Stone Roses Reunite
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 18, 2011 18:52

The Stone Roses album us a generation-defining masterpiece. They only released two LP's, but their influence and popularity never ceases - and yes, I am aware they made little impact in the States! I hope the shows prove to be a success. Hopefully they'll announce some London dates sooner rather than later.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 18, 2011 19:54

Must be skint ;^)

Date: October 18, 2011 20:00

Spud
Must be skint ;^)

Ian Brown has a divorce to pay for, apparently.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 18, 2011 20:01

Another ridiculously overrated band. If they come to the States they will have to play to 100-person capacity venues. And then keep their fingers crossed

Date: October 18, 2011 21:15

mickscarey
If they come to the States they will have to play to 100-person capacity venues. And then keep their fingers crossed

An this means what, exactly? A group or artist doesn't have to crack the United States to be considered legendary or relevant.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: October 18, 2011 21:32

Personally I think this is great news. They were a really exciting band back when they made it and I'm sure they'll be exciting now too.

And so what if money is part of the motivation. They, like The Stones, would not go out and play unless they could deliver the goods.

And anyone who says money isn't at least part of the reason the Stones continue(d) to do it is surely fooling themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-18 21:33 by Roll73.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: October 18, 2011 21:35

Big Al
mickscarey
If they come to the States they will have to play to 100-person capacity venues. And then keep their fingers crossed

An this means what, exactly? A group or artist doesn't have to crack the United States to be considered legendary or relevant.

Most of my favourite UK artists had little or no impact in the USA. Not that I'm particularly a fan of The Stone Roses, but good luck to them anyway. smileys with beer

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 18, 2011 21:40

...name me one good Stones Roses song, please. I've always heard that they were "hugely influental" but the only thing I found out when I tried to check why is that they were massively overhyped.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: October 18, 2011 21:44

alimente
...name me one good Stones Roses song, please. I've always heard that they were "hugely influental" but the only thing I found out when I tried to check why is that they were massively overhyped.

So if you've already 'checked' there's no point anyone naming what they think is a good song then is there?

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 18, 2011 21:55

alimente

AMEN!

Date: October 18, 2011 21:56

mickscarey
alimente

AMEN!

I know people who don't like any Rolling Stones songs. What does that prove?

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 18, 2011 22:21

Squire is a brilliant player but unable to release a good solo record . Together they can do something. For a massive tour they would need a great record. Hope this is not to be a The Verve reunite then a split again.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: October 18, 2011 22:21

Okay, I'll start with...This Is the One.

Date: October 18, 2011 22:24

toomuchforme
Squire is a brilliant player but unable to release a good solo record . Together they can do something. For a massive tour they would need a great record. Hope this is not to be a The Verve reunite then a split again.

I saw Squire live with The Seahorses back in the 90s, & they sounded like Oasis without the good songs but with Jimmy Page guesting on guitar. Interesting.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 19, 2011 03:02

Well there is a reason americans don't dig Stone Roses.

Americans JUST DO NOT GET IT.

It took 'em a white guy (Elvis) to show them to embrace cats like Little Richard, Chuck Berry and about a thousand more much more talented (but black) ladies and gentlemen. Americans have no dress sense whatsoever, unless they discover Cerrutti, Burberry, Stone Island, Armani, Pretty Green and the likes. The only GOOD thing to come out of America is Blues and Motown and influences that gave way for the british bands. There are NO great white american artists, apart from George Jones, Johnny Cash, Johnny Paycheck, Levon Helm, Bruce Springsteen, Frank Sinatra, Gram and a couple of others. But all these cats could recognize great music. Which the majority of the (white) american population sadly can not. Except that they DO recognize Stones' Greatness. I love and is impressed by american people for their hospitality, humbleness and their eagerness (most often anyway) to know more about the outside world. But asking them to really know the essence of the word "ROCK N ROLL" is perhaps to ask for too much.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 19, 2011 03:11

For what it's worth, Stone Roses could play mid sized values in major cities in the States or play top slots at Coachella and Lollapalooza. They were always a rare commodity in the US. They sold out the Hollywood Palladium on their one American tour.

Date: October 19, 2011 03:13

ALright, I gotta hand it to Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson too. Those cats are for REAL as well! But what I like with for instance Stones is that they can both be really Cool Britannia and Baton-Down-in-the-bottom-Rogue. Nobody else know to do this 'cept for them. And slagging of Stone Roses, well then you do not know the european club scene. I've been to Whiskey-A-Go-Go and Viper Room at the Sunset more than a couple of times (my cousin lives in North Hollywood) but it ain't NOTHING like the HAcienda in '89-'90 or indeed in Camden 94-95-96-97.

And it's NOT ONLY internet's fault I tell ya!!!

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: October 20, 2011 08:13

all Stone Roses-haters: Kiss me where the sun don't shine!
then listen to these songs:
Waterfall
Made Of Stone
Love Spreads
Ten Storey Love Song
I Am The Resurrection
I Wanna Be Adored
This Is The One
Fool's Gold
She Bangs The Drums
Elephant Stone
Mersey Paradise
Sally Cinnamon

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 20, 2011 08:50

..sometimes life is that way..me for example can't bare listen to Nick Cave and Bad Seeds...and isn't that dude hugely influental...?=?

2 1 2 0

Date: October 20, 2011 10:21

Come On

..sometimes life is that way..me for example can't bare listen to Nick Cave and Bad Seeds...and isn't that dude hugely influental...?=?

I can't bear to listen to Pink Floyd apart from Arnold Layne & See Emily Play...

Date: October 20, 2011 13:37

Well Nick Cave & his bad seeds are awful but Stone Roses got about 10 REALLY good songs they released that are up there with, if not Tumblin' Dice and Start Me Up, at least up there with Pretty Beat Up and Tops.
GRANTED: Stone Roses released some real sh%t but these are the GEMS:

10.Fools Gold (really good in a disco with a lot of 19-year old c&%k-hungry chicks around you).
9. She Bangs The Drums if only for the line: "Kiss me where the sun don't shine, the past was yours but the future's mine"
8. Made Of STone
7.Going Down
6. Love Spreads (Better "Pagey" guitar than J.Page himself and a real killer on the radio in the 90's I remember
5.Elephant Stone the chords G-D-C are used as they should be
4.I Wanna Be Adored (title says it all)
3.Mersey Paradise (and I AIN'T Mancunian or Scouse)
2.Waterfall
1.Where Angels PLay (One of the best submersive,sweet/nasty a la Backstreet Girl tunes ever IMHO!)

And then I haven't mentioned I Am The Resurrection, arguably their Best ever tune. I am not a big Stone Roses fan but they DO have that magic that only a handful of white bands really possess. But if you were +25 when they started, I get it if you cannae dig 'em. I for one can't stand libertines, radiohead, franz ferdinand, coldplay and the likes.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 20, 2011 18:41

Im not knocking them.

I was never good enough or lucky enough to scratch anything more than a basic living from playing in a band.

so good luck to them ;^)

[My mate used to build and maintain guitars for Chris Squire, who had [still has ?] a very tasty Les Paul.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-20 18:42 by Spud.

Posted by: Indian Girl ()
Date: October 20, 2011 20:04

I think they were quite boring when I first heard them back in the day, so I gave it a listen again on Spotify to re-check. Yep, still boring.yawning smiley

Date: October 20, 2011 20:29

MadMax
But if you were +25 when they started, I get it if you cannae dig 'em.

I was 26! That explains everything. smileys with beer

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: October 20, 2011 21:18

10.Fools Gold (really good in a disco with a lot of 19-year old c&%k-hungry chicks around you

Wow, what's your secret?

Posted by: DD ()
Date: October 21, 2011 13:53

I love them. My feeling is that they exemplify what we often believe to be true of the most special bands: that the individuals are super, but together they create something bordering on the transcendent, something indefineable. I have to say that, as daft as it may sound to people who haven't heard them or who don't like the music, I can't absolutely trust the musical opinions of anyone who's heard them and doesn't like them. Some utterly magical music.

Date: October 21, 2011 14:13

Phelge,are you in the US or Europe?? Here in Europe you can go to a disco, even if you've seen the best days of your life more than a decade ago, and still do a Muddy and score 20-year old chicks (who DO look really good) for the night. It all depends on the music that is being played and the vibe of the place. I got quite a few friends who are doing this ona weekly basis and they got more in common with someone who fought in the WWII than some yuppy kid comin'in from nowhere with their iphones and their no-knowledgeabout no nothing. Thank God we're not 15 anymore. I wouldnae like to be a teenager nowadays, must be real boring to watch a band on youtube before you even had the chance of buying the hard-earned tickets and go see them live.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: October 21, 2011 16:25

I was never much of a fan, but saw them twice on their second album tour. Have to say they didn't really impress me much. It's obviously well known that Ian Brown has an atrocious voice live and he certainly lived up to his billing

BUT

If people like them and want to go and relive past glories (no different to what any Stones fans do) who cares ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1632
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home