Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Dan Wheldon
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 17, 2011 01:12

Since this is an international board, with many members from England, I thought I'd mention here that 2011 Indianapolis 500 winner from Emberton, Buckinghamsire, Dan Wheldon,
just passed away from "unsurvivable injuries" suffered in a racing accident in Las Vegas today.

Re: OT: RIP Dan Wheldon
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 17, 2011 01:13

That's really awful!! I hadn't heard that! Rest In Peace, Dan.

Date: October 17, 2011 01:14

From CNN:

Racing vet Dan Wheldon died Sunday after he was involved in a multi-car wreck at an IndyCar race in Las Vegas, IndyCar's CEO said.

Wheldon, a two-time Indy 500 winner, was in line to win $5 million if he captured the checkered flag at Sunday's race.

The race was halted after the wreck, according to IndyCar spokeswoman Denise Abbott.

Date: October 17, 2011 01:18

mickschix
That's really awful!! I hadn't heard that! Rest In Peace, Dan.

The accident happened a little over two hours ago.
The announcement came about 15 minutes ago.

IndyCar and the drivers cancelled the rest of the race, and the drivers are preparing right now for a five-lap tribute to Wheldon.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 17, 2011 01:55

Sad news. Rest in peace

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 17, 2011 02:09

Dan Wheldons death has just come on as Breaking news.

Its a real shame

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: October 17, 2011 02:20

RIP Dan

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 17, 2011 02:32

I am at a loss for words. We were watching the race and the horrifying crash. You could see it on the crews and other drivers faces there was bad bad news long before they annouced he passed away.

... R.I.P.
Race In Peace
... Dan

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: October 17, 2011 03:39

Very sad, that's a dangerous sport! RIP

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 17, 2011 05:27

Edith Grove
Since this is an international board, with many members from England, I thought I'd mention here that 2011 Indianapolis 500 winner from Emberton, Buckinghamsire, Dan Wheldon,
just passed away from "unsurvivable injuries" suffered in a racing accident in Las Vegas today.

Had a feeling you would post this EG. I probably would have if you didn't. Very terrible to hear. RIP Dan.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 18, 2011 00:51

Growing up in Indianapolis, and later working for the local ABC television affiliate, I know the track inside and out. I met and shook hands with a driver who died in practice the next day. I grew up with the grisly images of Eddie Sachs and Dave McDonald who collided in the 1964 race, and created such a blazing inferno that no one could get near them and everyone just watched as they burned to death.

I have never seen anything as horrifying as that wreck yesterday in Las Vegas. Cars were flying through the air and landing against the retaining wall and bursting into flames. I returned to Indy in 2009 for the 500 with 3rd row seats in the first turn. Vitor Miera crashed right in front of us and his car came up a little into the fence before skidding down the track. There were literally guitar pick sized pieces of his car in our laps. I noticed yesterday that those cars that hit the steel cable fencing in Las Vegas shot flames beyond the fencing. If there had been spectators in that area we could have been looking at a much larger tragedy. My greatest fear is burning fuel landing on the fans.

I didn't particularly care for Dan Wheldon in the past. He beat my favorite, Danica Patrick in 2005, and he won the 500 this year, ruining another fairy tale, the rookie Paul Hildebrand, who wrecked his car just yards from the finish line. Of course that wasn't Dan's fault. We all did laugh at his impossibly white teeth, and I grew more sympathetic when I saw he'd gone through some tough times the past couple years. It's beyond sad. Hats off to Dan Wheldon.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 18, 2011 03:44

The concept of this particular race was pretty cool: he started at the back of the pack, would pocket $5 mil if he won, and would split the pot with some lucky fan.

Too bad it ended soooooo horribly. That's easily the worst auto racing crash I've seen in more than 40 years of casually viewing the sport: The dude went airborne at more than 200 MPH while on a turn and flew about 200 yards over the wall and into the retaining fence. Ain't nobody surviving a crash like that. Just terrible.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 18, 2011 04:03

A young wife and 2 very very young children
God's love, mercy and peace....he'll miss so much here on Earth.

Posted by: indystone ()
Date: October 18, 2011 04:36

Saw both of his Indy 500 wins in person. Saw him around the track this past May. Always friendly! One of the really good guys in open-wheel racing. A class act who will certainly be missed!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home