Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlie Watts never sleeps
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 24, 2017 01:44

At least according to this 1985 television interview with Bill Wyman for the U.S. show Late Night with David Letterman.
Interview: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Charlie Watts never sleeps
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 24, 2017 02:29

Some notes: Bill is very relaxed. Almost too relaxed. Fluent and articulated speech. Seems intelligent. Not very entertaing although the Charlie story was quite funny (at least for a Rolling Stones fan). Letterman didn't look to impressed. ....Thanks for the clip. haven't seen that one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-24 20:51 by Stoneage.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 24, 2017 05:11

'The second time I quite enjoyed it.'

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 24, 2017 17:36

Stoneage
Some notes: Bill is very relaxed. Almost too relaxed. Working class manners (doesn't greet the host properly). Fluent and articulated speech. Seems intelligent. Not very entertaing although the Charlie story was quite funny (at least for a Rolling Stones fan). Letterman didn't look to impressed. ....Thanks for the clip. haven't seen that one.

I would be shocked if you were not a Brit. A few hints. Brings class into it, overly concerned with manners ( how was he supposed to greet him ) and just itching to use the word properly.

I don't believe for a second that Watts went 4 days without sleep. This accusations always make me chuckle.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 24, 2017 18:24

weird.

that story about Charlie...sounds like a a composite tale involving peoples' notions about the Stones, ginned up to have something to feed to a US audience..

at the very end the Late Night band starts 'HTW'

thats Steve Jordan on drums

cool smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 24, 2017 19:10

I just watched it and I don't understand 'doesn't greet the host properly'. Bill shook his hand and made eye contact. Was he supposed to kiss Dave on both cheeks? Maybe he's not overly enthusiastic to meet Dave, but jeez, Bill had been world famous as a Rolling Stone for over 20 years by then.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 24, 2017 19:12

24FPS
I just watched it and I don't understand 'doesn't greet the host properly'. Bill shook his hand and made eye contact. Was he supposed to kiss Dave on both cheeks? Maybe he's not overly enthusiastic to meet Dave, but jeez, Bill had been world famous as a Rolling Stone for over 20 years by then.
Letterman was still an upstart weirdo in 1985, while Bill was a member of one of the biggest rock bands on the planet. It's not surprising that there'd be a mismatch in status.

If Bill had been on in, say, 1999 or 2004, it would have been more much relaxed with more mutual respect.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 24, 2017 19:18

I remember watching this at the time.
Letterman twice tried to make drug jokes (once about Charlie being up for four days) and each time Wyman sideswiped or ignored them. I remember wondering why Letterman didn't realize that Charlie and Bill were the straight ones, but that was how a lot of people thought about the Stones and rock and roll back then.

Date: April 24, 2017 19:28

wonderboy
I remember watching this at the time.
Letterman twice tried to make drug jokes (once about Charlie being up for four days) and each time Wyman sideswiped or ignored them. I remember wondering why Letterman didn't realize that Charlie and Bill were the straight ones, but that was how a lot of people thought about the Stones and rock and roll back then.
But Charlie WASN'T straight at the time. Maybe that's why Bill was uncomfortable with the questioning.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 24, 2017 19:37

What, no questions about Mandy ?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 24, 2017 21:01

stanlove
Stoneage
Some notes: Bill is very relaxed. Almost too relaxed. Working class manners (doesn't greet the host properly). Fluent and articulated speech. Seems intelligent. Not very entertaing although the Charlie story was quite funny (at least for a Rolling Stones fan). Letterman didn't look to impressed. ....Thanks for the clip. haven't seen that one.

I would be shocked if you were not a Brit. A few hints. Brings class into it, overly concerned with manners ( how was he supposed to greet him ) and just itching to use the word properly.

I don't believe for a second that Watts went 4 days without sleep. This accusations always make me chuckle.

I agree. My observation was a bit overelaborated and unnecessary. I have erased it now after a second thought. Thanks for pointing it out.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 24, 2017 21:12

Regarding Bill being "very relaxed": he has always been that way.

Note how in the beginning of the Hampton 1981 film, they're walking into that big room just before they go on and they're peeking out through the curtain, etc. The others -- Mick, Keith, Ronnie -- they're all wired up, a bundle of stage nerves, whereas Bill just strolls in, shrugs, not a worry in the world.

Perhaps that is why he always looked younger than the others despite being a few years older.

Date: April 24, 2017 21:34

stonehearted

Note how in the beginning of the Hampton 1981 film, they're walking into that big room just before they go on and they're peeking out through the curtain, etc. The others -- Mick, Keith, Ronnie -- they're all wired up, a bundle of stage nerves, whereas Bill just strolls in, shrugs, not a worry in the world.

Perhaps that is why he always looked younger than the others despite being a few years older.
They're jittery because they're all coked up. If Bill looked younger, it was because he wasn't doing drugs.

And look at Bill today...I think all the guys would prefer how they currently look to him. I know he was sick, but still...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 25, 2017 01:11

keefriff99
stonehearted

They're jittery because they're all coked up. If Bill looked younger, it was because he wasn't doing drugs.

And look at Bill today...I think all the guys would prefer how they currently look to him. I know he was sick, but still...

Remember that thought, when the rest turn 80 in just a finger snap of time.

Date: April 25, 2017 01:33

24FPS
keefriff99
stonehearted

Remember that thought, when the rest turn 80 in just a finger snap of time.
Oh, I know. None of them will look particularly great, with the possible exception of Charlie.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 25, 2017 14:06

keefriff99
Oh, I know. None of them will look particularly great, with the possible exception of Charlie.

...in his 100-year-old second-hand trousers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1750
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home