Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: (Positive post) Stones songs played better live than on records
Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: October 18, 2011 03:54

musically possibly none, possibly whip. for excitement and energy, plenty.

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: October 18, 2011 10:46

Please don't chop my head of, but..
I must say "Streets of Love" was fantastic in the rain in Bergen 2006 !

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: October 18, 2011 10:49

matsumoto33
I'm Free -especially the version at Hyde Park

My favourite song from Hyde Park is probably Mercy Mercy (a shame Keith couldn't be bothered to sing harmonies though).

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 18, 2011 10:55

Shattered and Midnight Rambler....in the seventies....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: October 18, 2011 11:03

The GHS tracks had a certain..eh.. energy in the 73 shows. I really liked Mick T´s treatment of Heartbreaker, but the studioversion is so good I would call the Brussels 73 version an alternative great version.

Date: October 18, 2011 11:08

Let Me Go
Fingerprint File
Star Star
Shattered
When The Whip Comes Down
Imagination
Out Of Control
Flip The Switch
Midnight Rambler
Fool To Cry
Hot Stuff
Wild Horses
Terrifying

Date: October 18, 2011 11:10

DandelionPowderman
Wild Horses

To my ears the studio version of Wild Horses (& also Sister Morphine) is so perfect that no live version can possibly come close.

Date: October 18, 2011 11:11

Streets of Love. Had they carried on doing it live, they would have changed that song's bad reputation.

Date: October 18, 2011 11:21

Sleepy City
DandelionPowderman
Wild Horses

To my ears the studio version of Wild Horses (& also Sister Morphine) is so perfect that no live version can possibly come close.

It perfectly played, I agree. The sound, however, is not perfect at all. On Stripped, it is - and there are lots of great versions from the 75 tour, imo.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 18, 2011 11:26

Palace Revolution 2000
Streets of Love. Had they carried on doing it live, they would have changed that song's bad reputation.

A bad song is a bad song. Any improvement onstage is just t-rd polish. "Make no mistake about it," Streets of Love is a TERRIBLE song.

Somebody mentioned Flip the Switch. The live versions always sounded like they couldn't put too much energy into that song because they had to pace themselves for the next two hours, whereas the studio version is just sheer abandon.

Out of Control live, however, is stunning, the best new song they've done in the Vegas Stones era.

Date: October 18, 2011 11:28

ab
Palace Revolution 2000

A bad song is a bad song. Any improvement onstage is just t-rd polish. "Make no mistake about it," Streets of Love is a TERRIBLE song.

Somebody mentioned Flip the Switch. The live versions always sounded like they couldn't put too much energy into that song because they had to pace themselves for the next two hours, whereas the studio version is just sheer abandon.

Out of Control live, however, is stunning, the best new song they've done in the Vegas Stones era.

Personally I think Streets Of Love is a better song than Out Of Control...

I prefer Flip The Switch to both of them though.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 18, 2011 12:20

Yeah, most tunes are better live, but MR, UMT, IORR and TIOMS are the obvious ones.

The ones I prefer in the studio are Satisfaction and Waiting On A Friend.

Beast Of Burden is also hard to beat while on stage.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 18, 2011 12:32

Iorr on Love you "live" is better than the studio version but thats the only live take that beats the studio.

Hot Stuff at Knebworth is not better than the studio version but it is just as great. The studio version is still queen of the underrated so...

Starfxcker is better live in 1975 and sometimes 1976 than the studio version, but it doesnt mean the studio version is worse, just different.

Under my thumb was great in 1969 at Altamont and it was great in 1981. Two different live versions, great opener in 1981 but the studio version is the best.

Flip the switch was actually great in 1997/1998.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-18 12:33 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 18, 2011 14:38

Infamy!!

Date: October 18, 2011 14:44

I just don't think Streets of Love is a bad song.
I hear what you're saying about a bad song being a bad song, but very often a song takes time to find it's identity. It's not strictly up to the writer to muscle the song into a certain shape, and there it stands - created this one, and unmovable way, never to be swayed. That is one thing that is great about playing music with other people in different settings. The Stones are masters at experimenting further with their songs on the live stage. One could say they are toying with the song, or one could say they are still trying to find the best way to present the song. Take "Sympathy" e.g. We all have seen how it started out as a fol, ballad. The Stones have ample studio time, and time to bring out the new album, so they are patient with the song; and it becomes a samba. Later on on stage it becomes more: it practically creates a whole new type of 4 chord rock song arche-type. And it becomes a dual lead-guitar battle too. What if the Stones had been on the same schedule as they were with ABB? Would we think of SFTD as a lame folk thing w/o the "whoo whoo" etc?
I am actually glad that the Stones still have some of that searching in them, and it's not just an empty phrase that Keith utters. In every ABB show where "Streets" was played it was one of the highlights of the show
There are times when a song gets done to death, and over-experimented. I am not talking about a song that gets played to often, and the artists grows bored. Like in our case the Stones with most warhorses. But when a song, still in it's infancy, is pocked apart too far; and it loses it's flow. I think that is what was happening on "Satanic". But, in retrospect, it looks like this was part of a learning phase of the Stones.

Date: October 18, 2011 15:06

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-18 15:08 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home