Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Everything was written in like 12 years
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 11, 2017 00:45

Was just thinking that out of 55 years of the Stones, (even though I really enjoy their late career material as well) almost all their best material was written from 1965, when Keith rolled out of bed in Florida with Satisfaction in his head, to 1977, when the Some Girls sessions ended. (Obviously, Tattoo You was recorded in this period as well.) Amazing outpouring over just over a decade. What does this say about how creativity works?

Re: Everything was written in like 12 years
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 11, 2017 00:50

There's a band that went even further : Jane's Addiction.
They recorded 3 albums between 1987 and 1991 yet they wrote 95% of their entire catalogue between 1986 and 1987.
They split up in 91 and reformed a few years after but they never managed to write anything worthy of these two golden years.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 11, 2017 01:40

the half way point of the stones officially released(not recorded) songs is around 1974. so thats 11 or 12 or so years to record 50% of total output, and 43 years to record inferior quality for the other 50%.

as for live gigs, thay have done over 2000 and yet hit the 1000 mark in 1967, although gigs pre 1970 were a lot shorter, many of the early gigs were 8 to 10 dongs. and in a lot of cases they performed twice a day.

i dont grudge the stones their vast wealth, they worked their socks off and earned very little for a very long time, before the big money came in.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 11, 2017 02:31

Send It To me
What does this say about how creativity works?
It says more about the nature of celebrity, at least as it pertains to rock and roll, which doesn't allow an artist to age as gracefully or as prolifically as other forms of expression, like film, art (painting), literature, etc.

Date: April 11, 2017 02:32

dcba
There's a band that went even further : Jane's Addiction.
They recorded 3 albums between 1987 and 1991 yet they wrote 95% of their entire catalogue between 1986 and 1987.
They split up in 91 and reformed a few years after but they never managed to write anything worthy of these two golden years.

Yeah, I just read Slash's autobiography and apparently GN'R was similar - a lot of the best-known Use Your Illusion songs were written during the Appetite Sessions

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 11, 2017 04:59

You're right, in one aspect, of it being "like 12 years". As far as recording albums go, what you're talking about is 1964 to 1979 technically, it's 15, which is basically what you said.

Date: April 11, 2017 05:23

GasLightStreet
You're right, in one aspect, of it being "like 12 years". As far as recording albums go, what you're talking about is 1964 to 1979 technically, it's 15, which is basically what you said.

from satisfaction ('65) to writing/recording of Some Girls (completed in '77)

Date: April 11, 2017 05:26

Send It To me
GasLightStreet

For some reason I thought you included TATTOO YOU, which has the latest (band) recordings being 1979.

Date: April 11, 2017 05:31

GasLightStreet
Send It To me
GasLightStreet

For some reason I thought you included TATTOO YOU, which has the latest (band) recordings being 1979.

Oh yeah, good point, but I think the significants songs/hits were pretty all pre-'77 - Start Me Up Worried About You & Hang Fire from Black & Blue, Waiting On A Friend from Goats Head Soup, etc.

Date: April 11, 2017 05:35

Slave, from BAB, and Tops from GHS, of course.

I still love Neighbours, from what all I can tell, one of two of the actual newest songs on TATTOO YOU.

Date: April 11, 2017 05:40

GasLightStreet

I still love Neighbours, from what all I can tell, one of two of the actual newest songs on TATTOO YOU.

Yeah, I think Neighbors may have actually been the one track the band cut in '81

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: April 11, 2017 05:41

stonehearted
Send It To me
What does this say about how creativity works?
It says more about the nature of celebrity, at least as it pertains to rock and roll, which doesn't allow an artist to age as gracefully or as prolifically as other forms of expression, like film, art (painting), literature, etc.

I think it says something about rock and roll, really. I love it, and it's not less "creative" than other genres, but compared to, say, jazz or classical, the ideas are extremely simple and the musicianship is unsophisticated. These are good things, as far as I'm concerned, but they aren't the basis for a lifetime of creative work. As Lester Bangs said when Black and Blue came out, there's only so many ways you can recycle Chuck Berry before you run out of ideas.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 11, 2017 06:39

More says a lot because of how long their career is that that seems short. I mean the Beatles did everything in what, 6 years? And you could argue thats more revered and analyzed than the Stones' 12. Again, the Stones 12 seems reasonable, or even amazing, when compared to their 50+ year career. But actually if anything its just an impressive long amount of time for creativity. Most bands have 5, maybe 10 GREAT years. But thats why the Stones are the best of the best. I feel you could look at a lot of great bands and its all from a 3-5 year timespan. Just natural.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 11, 2017 07:53

buttons67
gigs pre 1970 were a lot shorter, many of the early gigs were 8 to 10 dongs. and in a lot of cases they performed twice a day.

This made me larf out bloody LOUD. With 8-10 Dongs they SHOULD be able to perform MORE than twice a day!!!

Rod

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 11, 2017 08:28

bitusa2012
buttons67
gigs pre 1970 were a lot shorter, many of the early gigs were 8 to 10 dongs. and in a lot of cases they performed twice a day.

This made me larf out bloody LOUD. With 8-10 Dongs they SHOULD be able to perform MORE than twice a day!!!

The best dongs are from that era.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 11, 2017 10:03

There are exceptions to the rule, of course.
Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Paul Simon, Neil Young spring to mind.

Mick once said a key to the Stones longevity was:
80% luck
10% talent
10% hard work

As has been said on this site many times, The Stones are 'entertainers' foremost, Dylan etc more 'artists'. Hence the differences in creativity.

Date: April 11, 2017 10:15

They stopped spending a lot of time together, hence they wouldn't invest the time necessary to create songs on the same level. At least, that could be one of the reasons.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 11, 2017 10:20

DandelionPowderman
They stopped spending a lot of time together,
A natural progression. Would you want to be locked in a 50-year (& Counting) sausage party?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 11, 2017 10:38

Send It To me
GasLightStreet

Yeah, I think Neighbors may have actually been the one track the band cut in '81

Most likely not -there were no band sessions in 1980 or 1981, all sessions were mixing and overdubbing by Jagger and sporadically Richards only. Neighbors most likely is from 1979. Same for Heaven. Start Me Up Is from early 1978, and not from the B&B sessions.

Mathijs

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 11, 2017 16:54

They wrote dozens of very good-excellent songs post 1977. But the musical landscape has changed dramatically then. The golden days of rock music were gone. Had those days continued, many of the post-77-songs would be classics just like the songs of 1971/72. For example, Rough Justice or Flip The Switch would have been enormously successful, those songs would have had the same impact as Brown Sugar! No doubt One Hit would have been a chart-topper. But there´s no use in moaning, every decade belongs to a different audience/different style of music, the old bands have to step back and make way for younger bands, it has always been that way. Bands like the Stones and Deep Purple still made good music but the younger audience didn´t cared, they found new heroes and the die-hard-fans got older and decided to live in the past, glorifying the 1968-72-period and missing a lot of good music. Everything was written in like 12 years? No.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 11, 2017 17:02

You could narrow the creative period down even more, to 1965 to 1970. That's when most of the songs were written, even songs that were recorded later, and the invented their blueprint for recording.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 11, 2017 17:23

HMS
They wrote dozens of very good-excellent songs post 1977. But the musical landscape has changed dramatically then. The golden days of rock music were gone. Had those days continued, many of the post-77-songs would be classics just like the songs of 1971/72. For example, Rough Justice or Flip The Switch would have been enormously successful, those songs would have had the same impact as Brown Sugar! No doubt One Hit would have been a chart-topper. But there´s no use in moaning, every decade belongs to a different audience/different style of music, the old bands have to step back and make way for younger bands, it has always been that way. Bands like the Stones and Deep Purple still made good music but the younger audience didn´t cared, they found new heroes and the die-hard-fans got older and decided to live in the past, glorifying the 1968-72-period and missing a lot of good music. Everything was written in like 12 years? No.

Right from start to end, bands/artists from 10 years ago are struggling to sell their music today, let alone artists from 20 years ago. The audiences are always changing.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 11, 2017 17:31

After these golden years it seems that Mick's writing got more and more formulaic (verse/chorus/verse with a great hook to "sell" it) while Keef got more and more adventurous.
On the post-1989 albums Keef's song(s) is/are always what pleasently surprise me cause they try to explore new grouds. Otoh I can recognize a MJ song as a nice solid but not surprising tune.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 11, 2017 17:38

HMS

Rough Justice and Flip The Switch comparable with Brown Sugar? I think you're getting mad. What a nonsense. Rough Justice and Flip The Switch are caricature Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-11 17:56 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 11, 2017 18:12

If there would have not been Brown Sugar but Rough Justice/Flip The Switch instead in 1971, those songs would be classics. This is not caricature Stones (I cannot understand how one can see it as a caricature) this is Stones in all their glory. Of course the sound is familiar after all these years but imagine Rough Justice being released in 1971. Critics and fans would have been delighted. Not to mention latter-day gems like Love Is Strong or Undercover Of The Night. On par with the best I´d say. Unfortunately songs like these never got what they deserved.

Date: April 11, 2017 19:28

Mathijs
Send It To me
GasLightStreet

Most likely not -there were no band sessions in 1980 or 1981, all sessions were mixing and overdubbing by Jagger and sporadically Richards only. Neighbors most likely is from 1979. Same for Heaven. Start Me Up Is from early 1978, and not from the B&B sessions.

Mathijs

The reggae version of Start Me Up is from Black and Blue, I think the rock version may be from '78

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 11, 2017 19:47

HMS
If there would have not been Brown Sugar but Rough Justice/Flip The Switch instead in 1971, those songs would be classics. This is not caricature Stones (I cannot understand how one can see it as a caricature) this is Stones in all their glory. Of course the sound is familiar after all these years but imagine Rough Justice being released in 1971. Critics and fans would have been delighted. Not to mention latter-day gems like Love Is Strong or Undercover Of The Night. On par with the best I´d say. Unfortunately songs like these never got what they deserved.

I thought after the release of ABB that It Won't Take Long is the first (and only) song comparable with Start Me Up or Brown Sugar after 1981. But the mentioned ones are mediocre rockers at best IMHO. Everything on Undercover or Dirty Work is better. Sounds like they wanted to sound like the semi-fans wanted them to sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-11 19:47 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 11, 2017 23:34

Send It To me
Mathijs
Send It To me
GasLightStreet

Mathijs

The reggae version of Start Me Up is from Black and Blue, I think the rock version may be from '78

No, there's 3 reggae versions available in tape trading circles and all are from 1978. There's no B&B version known.

Mathijs

Date: April 12, 2017 01:16

Mathijs
Send It To me
Mathijs
Send It To me
GasLightStreet

Mathijs

No, there's 3 reggae versions available in tape trading circles and all are from 1978. There's no B&B version known.

Mathijs

Chris Kimsey says it was cut in march '75... [www.soundonsound.com]

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: April 12, 2017 01:29

Most of the lyrics in "Start Me Up" were written in 1978. I hear that Keith has been going to Germano Studio on Broadway since February. Don Was and Theodora stopped by.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home