Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1976 Tour - Billy Preston - Nothing From Nothing
Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: March 18, 2017 09:30

[m.youtube.com]

If posted before apologies. I was at the earlier year 1975 Rich Stadium gig and was looking hopefully for some video of "Outta Space."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-18 11:04 by KingmanBarstow.

Re: 1975 Tour - Billy Preston - Nothing From Nothing
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 18, 2017 10:59

This clip is from 1976.
He played "That's Life" during his solo spot on the 1975 tour.
"Outta Space" was his second number on both tours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-18 13:11 by erikjjf.

Re: 1975 Tour - Billy Preston - Nothing From Nothing
Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: March 18, 2017 11:05

Thanks erikjjf for clarifying. He played "Outta Space" in Buffalo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-18 11:09 by KingmanBarstow.

Re: 1976 Tour - Billy Preston - Nothing From Nothing
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 18, 2017 14:00

I believe the video clip is from one of the shows in France 1976; Billy says "merci" at the end. keith is again out of tune like his mother would say.
Rockandroll,
mops

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 18, 2017 16:46

Wow! I'd never seen this before, thank you!
And again, lord help me Richards in them black leather pants-whew.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 18, 2017 17:46

Looking at other Billy Preston / Stones videos, such as Hey Negrita

[www.youtube.com]

Lots of "sexual" interaction between Mick Jagger / Billy Preston.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-18 18:20 by mtaylor.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 18, 2017 23:50

mtaylor

[www.youtube.com]

I think it's less sexual and more cocaine-y.

Date: March 19, 2017 04:16

35love
mtaylor

[www.youtube.com]

I think it's less sexual and more cocaine-y.

They did the same during 1975/1976 live shows.... can be cocaine inspired as well... maybe Billy got too big a role in the live shows and couldn't continue.

Date: March 19, 2017 14:33

KingmanBarstow
[m.youtube.com]

If posted before apologies. I was at the earlier year 1975 Rich Stadium gig and was looking hopefully for some video of "Outta Space."

Hats off to Charlie Watts. That's about the best drumming with the Stones I ever heard him do.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 19, 2017 17:06

Haven't seen the video. But Charlie didn't play on Prestons songs.

Date: March 19, 2017 17:39

CousinC
Haven't seen the video. But Charlie didn't play on Prestons songs.

Joint effort Brown / Watts, with Brown as the "first" drummer - see 0:15 ->

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 19, 2017 21:49

Ollie Brown and Charlie Watts was perfect. Ollie was perfect for the Stones.

Date: March 19, 2017 22:09

Ollie played the main kit on Billy's numbers.

Date: March 19, 2017 22:57

The video showed Keith as well so I thought it was the Stones featuring Preston.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: March 19, 2017 23:13

Billy's solo songs must be the ones with the most complex chord structures the Stones ever played live...

Date: March 19, 2017 23:22

TheflyingDutchman
The video showed Keith as well so I thought it was the Stones featuring Preston.

It was, but Charlie only played the percussion kit on those two numbers.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: March 20, 2017 08:57

I like Billy Preston but for me that was the biggest mistake the Stones have ever done on concert...The Preston part was just horrible and took the Stones magic away.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 20, 2017 09:29

Yes me too. I don't mean to be disrepectful to Billy's great resume and presence at so many historic sessions and this tour here and all but I always saw it as a kind of distraction; a kind of, forgive me, b-level star, taking up too much precedence and importance in the show. With Lisa you could understand it was a set-piece and the original with Merry Clayton well deserved a great soulful singer partner for that song, and her vocal acrobatics and little semi-solo turn were understandable to me; even appreciated because she really could blow the roof off the place those first years especially; actually for a really long time during her residency....Mick was all tongue kissing her and the full drama and all that but it was in context; it was fun and sexy and a good A grade spot....
with Billy i always felt like it was a warm up act in the middle of a stones set and whaaaa? he just didn't have 'it' for me, i never thought that more than a cute-ish idea that didn't work much....maybe trying to hone in on the bruce/clarence soul connection prominent in the live shows that year as Bruce broke huge finally....i dunno....not much of a Billy fan when it comes to Billy's song and shtick...just an opinion....i'm not on the war path or anything....he can obviously play really well; i just never thought what he added to the stones show, even as just a keyboard or piano man, was that really good....

i know thats a sacrilige because he WAS in place during some really outstanding and historic live Stones show; and he didn't exactly ruin those. I'm not saying he's no soul or didn't do a utalitarian job on the Stones originals per se, just don't think he's that outstanding or propulsive; certainly no nicky, no one is, but not a mac either...or a stu....for me anyway....he was bringing something else to it that it didn't really much need imo, tho I'm sure the best live stones shows with him there didn't end up tanking or being less than great because of billy; but those star turns are nauseating for me; and the just sit back and play whatever supportive role in the background on keys is about all i want to hear from him or about him somehow....even tho he was so great on beatles stuff and all that...somehow billy just doesn't do it for me; and that star turn the stones gave him in the middle of their own show was like nuts....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 09:35 by hopkins.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 20, 2017 12:17

Wow , I can't believe the disrespect to a great man that was known as the Fifth Beatle and who also had his own hit songs and was one fine keyboard player with the best of the best on the ivories .Who else as a sideman in the Stones history has been afforded such RESPECT that his or her own songs get played along the Stones songs in concert ? No one because there is no one that could fill Mr. Billy Preston's shoes !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: March 20, 2017 12:46

Well I appreciate that perspective and will listen harder to the shows I like where he's part of the band. I don't have disrespect for him. I really honor that Let It Be set so much; and I know he's done good work on a lot of George and other stuff I like too; I just don't see him as world class guy w a mini set in the middle of a Stones show. he doesn't have the hits or solo career or anything like that; i mean, he's a sideman w a minor hit. That's not disrepecting his presecnce on a lot of good albums. and some really great stuff in '73 when Nicky didn't make that tour....stuff that's primo and believe me I respect that entire group effort. It's just a Stones sidemen who came and went to me as far as his live mini show in the middle of a stones concert and that's what this thread was about and specifically what I was expressing myself about; but I do respect your input and should probably study up more where he makes recorded contributions I dig and all that; they themselves wanted a more rootsy thing goin' on in '78 and he was let go.

it also might not be fair of me to judge what seems like harshly to Stones fans as I did not see any of the shows where he was featured like that. Maybe the crowd just loved it. It's just another useless opinion of mine and I've a truckload about things I like or don't about the Stones' varied hallowed and harrowing journey....no personal disrespect at all. I know nothing of his personal life or career outside of side men things with the top guys...my general impression of him has always been positive but not overly in love with his sound or style or anything....he fleshed out that last live Beatles concert on the roof and that's when I think I first saw him and was totally a fan....not so much as the years wore on and his wigs and shtick. He's sort of like Chuck with a personality to me. haha; that's humor not disrespect. i think.

Also it might not be fair of me because i was never really a fan of that '76 thing; i was there in '75 at msg and the whole affair was quite different from the previous tour obviously. It was Ron's 13th show...I don't remember Billy one way or the other. It wasn't anywhere near the intensity or brilliance of '72 to me at the time, and now...maybe I should revisit those shows with a more open mind sometime soon. Honestly I think of Jack, Stu. Nicky & Mac as my more beloved Stone's pianists.
And I doubt any of 'em would'be been up for disco dancing with Mick all flamed out like a waitress at the Tropicana. Can't we call it a great idea that maybe didn't work out so well? Cause I poke a little fun at all of them but don't mean personal disrespect. Really don't. I'd just as soon apologize and respect Stones fans that really dig this or are sensitive about it...and leave it alone from here, thank you...respect your passion....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 13:10 by hopkins.

Date: March 20, 2017 13:51

More than a minor hit (from Wiki):

«Preston's solo career peaked at this time, beginning with 1972's "Outa-Space", an instrumental track that further popularized the sound of the clavinet in funk music. The song reached number 2 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and topped Billboard's R&B chart, before going on to win the Grammy Award for Best Pop Instrumental Performance. "Outa-Space" sold over 1 million copies in America, and was awarded a gold disc by the RIAA in June 1972.

Over the next two years, Preston followed up with the US chart-topping singles "Will It Go Round in Circles" and "Nothing From Nothing", and the number 4 hit "Space Race". Each of the three singles sold in excess of 1 million copies. American Bandstand host and executive producer Dick Clark enjoyed "Space Race" so much that he used the instrumental for the mid-show break for virtually the remainder of its run».

Hence, The Stones knew what they were doing by having him in the limelight. Preston was hot in the US round that time.

Date: March 20, 2017 13:58

Plus his musical contribution to the Stones was substantial, to say the least.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 20, 2017 15:39

leteyer
I like Billy Preston but for me that was the biggest mistake the Stones have ever done on concert...The Preston part was just horrible and took the Stones magic away.

which shows did you see? i remember him being a blast,the crowd loved billy and no one left their seat during his set at any of the shows i saw,he got a great reaction."took the stones magic away"? uh,..no

Date: March 20, 2017 15:44

His set was a highlight on every DVD and video I've seen from this tour.

Date: March 20, 2017 17:12

DandelionPowderman
More than a minor hit (from Wiki):

«Preston's solo career peaked at this time, beginning with 1972's "Outa-Space", an instrumental track that further popularized the sound of the clavinet in funk music. The song reached number 2 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and topped Billboard's R&B chart, before going on to win the Grammy Award for Best Pop Instrumental Performance. "Outa-Space" sold over 1 million copies in America, and was awarded a gold disc by the RIAA in June 1972.

Over the next two years, Preston followed up with the US chart-topping singles "Will It Go Round in Circles" and "Nothing From Nothing", and the number 4 hit "Space Race". Each of the three singles sold in excess of 1 million copies. American Bandstand host and executive producer Dick Clark enjoyed "Space Race" so much that he used the instrumental for the mid-show break for virtually the remainder of its run».

Hence, The Stones knew what they were doing by having him in the limelight. Preston was hot in the US round that time.

yep. ur right about those. a lot more chart action then i recalled. i was really listening to a lot of bluegrass, hard mountain music and countryish rock during that time but did always have each Stones studio record during the 70's...also nice to hear fans who were there found it dramatic and fun, and received well. thank you for adding this info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 17:13 by hopkins.

Date: March 20, 2017 17:22

DandelionPowderman
His set was a highlight on every DVD and video I've seen from this tour.
Darn tootin right it was the highlight .You are such a treasure to provide this more in depth analysis of the late great Billy Preston .Who was let go from the Stones for daring to ask Mick for more MONEY

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: March 21, 2017 01:43

TheGreek
Wow , I can't believe the disrespect to a great man that was known as the Fifth Beatle and who also had his own hit songs and was one fine keyboard player with the best of the best on the ivories .Who else as a sideman in the Stones history has been afforded such RESPECT that his or her own songs get played along the Stones songs in concert ? No one because there is no one that could fill Mr. Billy Preston's shoes !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't he get in trouble for molesting a young kid?

confused smiley

Date: March 21, 2017 03:10

omg yeh; some other stuff too; long after Stones but still...
not gonna link it or even say it; he did what he did; he's on brussels and all that; i don't listen to that for him tho; and no i am not a fan; and no there is no respect. i would like to distance the fine Stones gents and others he worked with from associating them even vaguely remotely with what went on w this guy long after he was replaced. long afterward. not good. not a rumor or innuendo; cases that were investigated and prosecuted and etc....not for a stone board at least not me; even this much i will prob delete...not a fan. not close. i mean some kinda line has to be drawn if someone is like totally unwilling and put into a weird sitch...beyond rationalizations that is like some terror stuff i don't need to have in my head....

I fully realize my fine Stones friends; the great fans on IORR who have so much loyalty and dedication and experience probably had, like me, not the slightest clue of any of preston's latter year difficulties and its a seperate thing anyway from what they were able to enjoy. I don't associate their love for Billy's contributions with knowing anything about his personal stuff or making that connection at all. I totally honor the Stones fans; the IORR bros and sisters who disagree with me or anybody else about anything as long as they love music and like to talk about it or share about it...so not dissing any of the fans who love this guy but i can't go there...
the best i can say it's sort of a tragedy; and i will prob cool down and delete this and not even be remotely reminded of any of it but it's a surprise to me as of now and not a good one...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-21 03:24 by hopkins.

Date: March 21, 2017 03:21

Listen to him playing with Eric on keyboards. Fantastic. It just flows out of his fingers. A natural talent

Date: March 21, 2017 12:14

misterfrias
TheGreek

Didn't he get in trouble for molesting a young kid?

confused smiley
Long after he was not touring with the Stones .

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home