Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I wish Daniel Lanois would produce Stones or Keith solo
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: October 6, 2011 19:21

I have always admired his production work with U2, Dylan, Peter Gabriel and on his solo work. Very textural. Have always hoped he would hook up with The Stones as a group..or with Keith Solo. Interested in other's opinions.

Re: I wish Daniel Lanois would produce Stones or Keith solo
Posted by: varv ()
Date: October 6, 2011 19:24

Great idea! I second that emotion.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 6, 2011 21:58

Well, I contrast that emotion. I'd love to hear Daniel record a 2nd album with his band Black Dub instead. They are great.

Besides, it's better if the Stones are not drowned in feedback. Despite not being all "rock", Lanois' approach is lacking the rockabilly spirit of "roll" from Rock N Roll.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 6, 2011 23:24

Very interesting idea.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 6, 2011 23:38

...certainly better than Don 'Yes Man' Was

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: October 6, 2011 23:50

All the Lanois produced albums that I've heard all sound like Daniel Lanois records. In other words, he gives everyone the sonic landscape HE likes. Not always great for the artist, though I do like "Oh Mercy" the Dylan album he produced.
Let's have Rick Rubin instead.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 7, 2011 00:07

....No Lanois would be better off waiting for the remake of Jonathon Livingston Seagull

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 7, 2011 01:15

Rockman
....No Lanois would be better off waiting for the remake of Jonathon Livingston Seagull

Ha!
I tend to agree. When I think of Lanois, I think of Peter Gabriel's "So" - great cd, but too smooth, clean and sterile for the Stones.
Rick Rubin is the man for the job. If Jagger would get over himself....

Date: October 7, 2011 02:47

stupidguy2
Rockman

Ha!
I tend to agree. When I think of Lanois, I think of Peter Gabriel's "So" - great cd, but too smooth, clean and sterile for the Stones.

The Joshua Tree rocks, no?

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: October 7, 2011 04:46

Love Lanois ! His "Acadie" album has been a favorite of mine since 1990-- Great producer too-- his work with Dylan, Emmy Lou, Willie Nelson, the Nevilles is outstanding..."Le Noise" with Neil Young was killer.... but I cant see him & The Stones....dont seem to have a common thread between them....
maybe him & Keith though....for a couple tracks.....
I could see Lanois & Jimmy Page though....

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 7, 2011 04:47

Why Rick Rubin?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 7, 2011 05:04

I's forgotten about "Joshua Tree".
Still, the Stones need rougher edges.
Why Rubin?
He's got the rougher edges...and the no-bullshit attitude.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 7, 2011 05:09

Andrew Loog Oldham.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 7, 2011 07:42

punkfloyd
stupidguy2
Rockman

Ha!

The Joshua Tree rocks, no?

no

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 7, 2011 07:42

Koen
Why Rick Rubin?

wandering spirit

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 9, 2011 06:42

I'm a fan of both, but I don't think drowning Keef's riffs in swampy atmospheres would be a good thing.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 9, 2011 11:25

I love lanois, both as producer and musician.
But working with the Stones, wont be a good idea
jeroen

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 9, 2011 11:58

I have always thought it could be a nice idea, but mostly for a KR's solo work rather than RS's

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: October 9, 2011 20:42

As stated in the other thread, T Bone.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 10, 2011 16:40

treaclefingers
Koen
Why Rick Rubin?

wandering spirit

What about that record (I don't own it) that shows RR's style being suitable for the Stones?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 10, 2011 19:49

Lanois : Keith I suggest we put tons of echo on your guitar...
Keith : Sod off you @#$%&! I ain't one of the fags in U2!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 10, 2011 20:30

Daniel Lanois makes everything sound like a Daniel Lanois record. Do we really need that on a Stones record?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 11, 2011 00:11

TheDailyBuzzherd
As stated in the other thread, T Bone.
Now that would be interesting. jack White would be another such choice.

Date: October 11, 2011 03:01

Listen to recent T-Bone Burnett-produced albums, e.g., the Gregg Allman and Elvis Costello CDs, on a good system. While I like the rootsy feel to them, the bottom end on his records is distracting in that it tends to be a tuneless low rumble in which individual notes of the bassline can't be distinguished. Yeah, he uses almost exclusively upright basses, but every jazz producer can make an upright sound like it's playing an actual bassline.

Date: October 11, 2011 03:30

Not to beat a dead horse, but after the sleazy rockers (Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, Bitch, Star Star, etc...) the moody, atmospheric mostly acoustic Stones songs are my second faves (Moonlight Mile, Sister Morphine, Shine a Light, Heaven, Thru and Thru, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Torn and Frayed). Lanois could do some interesting things here, particularly at the Stones' age.

Anybody but Don Was.

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: October 11, 2011 03:36

i know it won't happen in a million years... but i would love steve albini to record them. if anyone could bring rawness back to the band's sound... it would be him. he captures the sound of a band in a room. no slickness... just records the way it sounds in the room. listen.

Date: October 11, 2011 04:01

Albini's an interesting choice. But it would only work if they recorded with everyone in a room at the same time and minimal overdubs. It's been a while since that was their way of recording.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 11, 2011 04:21

ab
Listen to recent T-Bone Burnett-produced albums, e.g., the Gregg Allman and Elvis Costello CDs, on a good system. While I like the rootsy feel to them, the bottom end on his records is distracting in that it tends to be a tuneless low rumble in which individual notes of the bassline can't be distinguished. Yeah, he uses almost exclusively upright basses, but every jazz producer can make an upright sound like it's playing an actual bassline.

I'm a big Elvis Costello fan and I hate the stuff by EC produced by T-Bone Burnett.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 11, 2011 04:29

I made a bit of a joke earlier when I stated "Andrew Loog Oldham", but the fact is the Stones made great records with a guy who's producing philosophy was "turn up the good parts". Sonically a lot of those early records are a mess, but they are classics. If you have good songs and inspired performances Helen Keller would make a great producer. Layering sheen on shit isn't going to do a damn thing.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 11, 2011 04:37

I don't expect anything from the next studio album. It's pretty obvious that they'll just crash bam it out and we'll get the same Stones-ish records like Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang. They tried to get experimental on Bridges to Babylon and then they couldn't play them on stage (except for Saint of Me). They don't have the guitar dexterity to pull off something great. Or the will. Mick can still write killer lyrics, but I don't know if Keith is up to the task of writing anything that sounds new. Even his creaky ballads have grown tiresome. Please. You have no idea how I want to be wrong about this. I really would like to see them go out with a killer album. But can they? The standouts from the last three albums would hardly make up a side. It would require a great effort from them and I don't know if they even care enough to do it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2357
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home