Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Old LPs, new Turntable
Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: February 23, 2017 05:14

For my 50th, the wife and youngest got me a turntable. I dug out LPs that have sat in boxes for literally 15 - 20 years in less than ideal conditions.

I've tried about a dozen, and all but one (which I seldom played) skipped within the first 15 seconds.

Tracking weight is within specs as is anti-skating. Turntable is Audio Technica AT-LP120BK-USB.

Are my records just toast after all these years?
Is there likely something wrong with the turntable?
Thoughts?

T@3

Re: OT: Old LPs, new Turntable
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 23, 2017 06:26

Are the records visibly warped such that the needle is being launched vertically into the air? Then of course increasing the needle force might do it.

If the records are not warped and the needle is skipping then that's a mystery. My suggestion is to try another 10 records. If you still have the problem then perhaps the records are contaminated with dirt, dust, and grit at the outer edge. I don't know the magic recipe for washing records but I will guess mild dish washing soap and a cloth and lukewarm water. Then rinse under lukewarm fresh water and then leave for an hour to dry,

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: February 23, 2017 10:00

Pressure on the needle? Too light?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 23, 2017 10:01

Make sure that the tracking force and anti-skate is set up correctly on the arm.

If I'm not mistaken that turntable is typicaly suplied with a Green coloured AT95E cartridge ...which shud be set up with about 2gms of tracking force.
[Set the anti skate/bias to the same reading].

Check that the stylus itself does not look crooked and is free of visible fluff or dirt deposits.
A new stlus for that cartridge isn't expensive and iyt might be worth replacing it if all else is well.

Could you borrow the odd record that you know to be good playable condition, ....just to ensure that your records aren't simply clogged up with crap ?

Date: February 23, 2017 10:16

Sometimes it helps tightening the anti-skate settings a bit more than what's supposed to be the correct settings.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 23, 2017 10:23

Yeah .... increase the anti-skate a lil' ......... easy easy ....lil bit at a time ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: February 23, 2017 10:33

Clean the records. Could be crud stuck in the grooves

Date: February 23, 2017 10:43

Well crud should get his ass outa the trenches and get straight back home .....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 23, 2017 10:58

.... Get a SOTA with VPI .... and ya will be rockin' for life ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 23, 2017 11:00

terraplane
Clean the records. Could be crud stuck in the grooves

VERY important. Go and spend a few (insert local currency) on a cleaning device. I use a sort of brush thing that has carbon fibre "bristles" - a clean makes a huge difference.

(I have a friend, now in LA, who has a vacuum cleaning device for his albums. Before and after play. Over the top? Possibly. But The Stones first (UK) album on one of those half speed masters sounds .. ahem .. impressive. I'd go on about how good Sgt Pepper sounds, but that's off topic).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: February 23, 2017 14:01

I set one of these decks up for a friend and even though these are a plug in and play type deal, the cart was not aligned properly at all. The tracking was very poor.

I recommend downloading the stevenson alignment protractor from the site below and watching one of the many videos on youtube on how to set the deck up properly.
It should be fairly easy to do and well worth the effort.
These are decent decks for the money but you need to align the cart correctly to get good results.

[www.vinylengine.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-23 14:01 by mikehat.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: February 23, 2017 15:46

If the above doesn't work try putting a coin on the tonearm.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 23, 2017 16:02

Rokyfan
If the above doesn't work try putting a coin on the tonearm.

grinning smiley

That might have worked 50 years ago on your Dansette !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-23 16:56 by Spud.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 23, 2017 22:17

Im not sure if it would help...
but if I was having this issue i would buy this box set... mostly for the Geodisc TAT
I am very optimistic this thing could solve all our problems...
I am not even sure what it is or what it does.... but I really really want one...
I just need to find a spare 8 grand... and I gave the TV away... and someone stole the money under the soap.
Rockman

Record Collector 463 - February 2017

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home