Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
We, the fans are way too 'demanding'
Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: October 5, 2011 20:05

Ok, we want a New Tour, we want the opening of the vaults, but ej, how would you act, after a long succesful career, at the age of 67?

Re: We, the fans are way too 'demanding'
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 5, 2011 20:13

The Rolling Stones could have put a stop to this "demanding" whenever they wanted by declaring their intentions with the band. As long as they keep us on tenterhooks the speculations will continue.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 5, 2011 20:30

To put the positive spin on things, they must love feeling so 'relevant' that the fans would care enough to be demanding.

I wonder how demanding the fans of Spandau Ballet, or Duran Duran are?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 5, 2011 20:55

Don't feel like I'm asking too much. People like them usually like what they're doing and all the attention they get. A new album and tour is too much to ask? On tour they do an average of three shows a week at about two hours each. A new album shouldn't take too much effort either. Rock And Roll is not rocket science. On the other hand they can certainly retire if they like. Though I doubt they would do it, they have an awesome job.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 5, 2011 21:37

Yeah, it is way to much asked from an existing rock and roll band that they, hmm, produce some music... terrible fans indeed.

- Doxa

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 5, 2011 21:50

>>We, the fans are way too 'demanding' <<

This is only an internet message board. It can be a fantasy land if you want it to be.
What does it matter if we make outrageous demands?

The least that could happen is that we get a laugh out of some of the crazy ideas, or one of our demands might actually be met.

Date: October 5, 2011 21:56

If you have the age 67, after a long succesful 'career', you just do the things what you want (or not), there's nothing more to prove.

We, the fans of The Rolling Stones, are ego-maniacs (which is ofcourse understandable, I mean...The Rolling Stones...)

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 5, 2011 22:02

Well, you know, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: October 5, 2011 22:07

Stoneage
The Rolling Stones could have put a stop to this "demanding" whenever they wanted by declaring their intentions with the band. As long as they keep us on tenterhooks the speculations will continue.

Yeah! Glad to se someone getting it! They have us right where they want us! It's ludicrous to think they are going to let 2012 pass without doing at least something in the way of a live performance and 2013 for sure will have some kind of mini tour. They are winking at us, as always, but most of us don't get it! Glad you and I are not among the *most*!smoking smiley

Date: October 5, 2011 22:18

The fans know 'everything' and The Rolling Stones just don't give a shit, because they are rock&rollers, and we, the fans, are just fans

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 5, 2011 22:54

Had we stopped "demanding" things..and buying records..and attending concerts...they would've quit long ago...and not by choice.

Glad you weren't a Les Paul fan. He was in demand until he died at 94.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: October 5, 2011 22:58

Stoneage

Totally agree!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 6, 2011 01:36

keefbajaga
Ok, we want a New Tour, we want the opening of the vaults, but ej, how would you act, after a long succesful career, at the age of 67?

It's time to look back. It's time to let some things out of the bag. They are not a 'forward looking' band anymore. A Bigger Bang was a new record - but it wasn't anything to hang a hat on. That was SIX years ago, EIGHT years after the previous record. Two in the 1990s, one in the 20s. That's not a sign of a band that is interested in being a band that makes new things other than t-shirts.

The Exile and upcoming Some Girls leftovers is what it's all about - and there is more. THAT should be the focus - finished or not. Enough with the hits compilations, give us the dregs. Otherwise there's nothing but live recordings, which is fine - to a point. If neither, give it up. The whole premise of The Rolling Stones continuing now is just for the sake of continuing - yey, look how old we are! We're still going! Weeee! Give us your money! - while making a gazillion dollars doing it. It's not about the music, it's not about the band or legacy, it's about the money and the 'hey we did it' crap.

They need to just admit it and move on. Deal with what is actually interesting.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 6, 2011 03:26

Fan Since 1964
Stoneage

Totally agree!

How about allowing for the possibility that they do not know exactly what they want to do with the relatively short amount of time they have left on this planet. Maybe the only thing they know for sure is that they want to keep all their options open. How about all of us just learning to live with that uncertain reality?

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 6, 2011 04:30

Well, face it, they are the Strolling Bones in their Steel Wheelchairs.

Just one last concert would do it for me. It might be great, it might be embarrassing, who knows. A world-wide HD simulcast with various theaters showing it with big concert speakers. Pot smoke everywhere! lol

Out of respect, I would go to the local theater to see it live.

Thanks!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 6, 2011 14:48

Demanding only matters if the persons being demanded have to comply with the demands, e.g., a kid being demanded by his mom to clean his room, an employee being demanded to accomplish a task by his supervisor, etc. People on this board can "demand" until hell freezes over, but the Stones don't have to do anything to comply with any of them. So these "demands" are merely requests with levels of likelihood ranging from imminent (the Some Girls deluxe) to unrealistic. It's probably more apt to say that people have a high level of expectations of the Stones based on their past accomplishments.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: October 6, 2011 14:59

ab
Demanding only matters if the persons being demanded have to comply with the demands, e.g., a kid being demanded by his mom to clean his room, an employee being demanded to accomplish a task by his supervisor, etc. People on this board can "demand" until hell freezes over, but the Stones don't have to do anything to comply with any of them. So these "demands" are merely requests with levels of likelihood ranging from imminent (the Some Girls deluxe) to unrealistic. It's probably more apt to say that people have a high level of expectations of the Stones based on their past accomplishments.

For sure.

And let me add:
Stonesfans are very heterogeneous, sometimes contradictory and conflicting. And they all demand differnd kind of satisfaction. And all, The Rolling Stones can do ever, would be wrong ...

No Satisfaction, 'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try
I can't get no, I can't get no ...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 6, 2011 15:13

The last Tour: 2005-2007, the last album: 2005, 6 resp. 4 years since, are we too demanding?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 6, 2011 15:34

Well,

They are still around [or not ]

..and We are still turning up in this place to moan and speculate about them .

Not much has really changed in the last twenty-odd years if you ask me ;^)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-06 15:34 by Spud.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 6, 2011 17:04

Stoneage

Well roared, lion!

Date: October 6, 2011 17:11

If Stones fans actually were "too demanding" then every album since Tattoo You would have sold gazillions of copies and had gone #1 - studio and live.

Record sales indicate otherwise.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 6, 2011 17:22

DragonSky
If Stones fans actually were "too demanding" then every album since Tattoo You would have sold gazillions of copies and had gone #1 - studio and live.

well, in that case...we must be too indifferent! but we have be too something, cos we ain't getting no satisfaction...or something.

Date: October 6, 2011 17:23

DragonSky

That would be a little faulty logic, wouldn't it?

It's because The Rolling Stones are trying to satisfy their very few stonesfanbase living in the past at massageboards like IORR and they neglect the world is turning on, musicaly too. So they don't top to #1 anymore.

Let's try more Superheavy Moves Like Jagger ...

smoking smiley

Date: October 6, 2011 17:29

HighwireC, it was tongue in cheek, since Mick likens artistic success with record sales.

I know that a gazillion people buying everything does not mean it's good it just means...a gazillion people bought all of it.

Date: October 6, 2011 17:42

DragonSky
HighwireC, it was tongue in cheek, since Mick likens artistic success with record sales.

I know that a gazillion people buying everything does not mean it's good it just means...a gazillion people bought all of it.

What is "good" music, Dragon in the Sky? I like the kind of The Rolling Stones trying to go their own way, giving some blues to those, who like it, and some rock, reggae, some folk, some country, some disco, some little ballades a.s.o. to the others.

So all of the fans can get, what they want, but not enough, so they are still unsatisfyed, blaming their heros therefore and crying: more more more ...

Date: October 6, 2011 17:58

What is good music? Well whatever it's called, the genre, is moot. Is generic sounding music 'good'? Do you like Hootie And The Blowfish? Do you consider Hootie to be 'good music'? Is the songwriting good? If it is then I guess that makes it 'good music'. Perhaps it's the producing that blows.

If I want to hear reggae I listen to reggae music, not the Stones. That's one genre they should've left alone. I like the country music they've done. But if I really want to listen to country music, I listen to country music, not the Stones doing country music. I like it when the Stones do what they were inspired to do: blues, R&B and rock'n'roll.

It seems perhaps that part of the point of the subject title could reflect on fans know there are leftovers (even though it says absolutely nothing about that anywhere); how come the Stones made some bad decisions in regard to what they released v what they didn't on some albums - we want it anyway.

But how do the Stones actually know this? They don't. A record label saying Put out some extras on this next release that is all leftovers is one thing. Someone that has access to them and their recordings makes a good cause for demand, like Don Was, but the Stones, er, Mick has seemed to be not interested in such projects until whatever work was done when So Young was finished. Since then it's only been the so called Exile leftovers and now the Some Girls leftovers.

The only time the Stones are glaringly aware of fan demand is when they put tickets on sale. Obviously record sales mean nothing in terms of demand - or the quality of the album/music for that matter.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 6, 2011 18:00

We are not demanding enough.
That's our job: to be very demanding.
We want the Stones!

Date: October 6, 2011 18:01

good post, ds. as i always say, it's good if you like it. there are no universally accepted criteria for what is good or what is bad. i like the johnny mann singers and the ray conniff singers, so they're good. so sue me.

Date: October 6, 2011 18:09

Ha ha. The difference between good and bad is the ear of the listener. I don't like Elton John, he annoys me, I think he's lame - but a lot of people like him. That goes across the board for all music. Somewhere somebody thinks it's good. People laugh when they find out I don't like Elton John - but they don't try to make me like him. They ask me who I like, I fling out a bunch of names and 90% of them they haven't even heard of.

So what does THAT mean? It means exactly that - they don't know about them. Means nothing about good or bad.

I like it. I being me, you being you, individuals - everyone liking what they like. That's all that matters. It doesn't influence what side of the bed you sleep on or how bright the sun is or if your grandmother lives to be 101 years old. It's got nothing to do with life, it's just something in life.

Now....I want a deluxe Goats Head Soup!

Date: October 6, 2011 18:21

DragonSky
Ha ha. The difference between good and bad is the ear of the listener. I don't like Elton John, he annoys me, I think he's lame - but a lot of people like him. That goes across the board for all music. Somewhere somebody thinks it's good. People laugh when they find out I don't like Elton John - but they don't try to make me like him. They ask me who I like, I fling out a bunch of names and 90% of them they haven't even heard of.

So what does THAT mean? It means exactly that - they don't know about them. Means nothing about good or bad.

I like it. I being me, you being you, individuals - everyone liking what they like. That's all that matters. It doesn't influence what side of the bed you sleep on or how bright the sun is or if your grandmother lives to be 101 years old. It's got nothing to do with life, it's just something in life.

Now....I want a deluxe Goats Head Soup!

exactly. it's fascinating that so many folks are seemingly obsessed with liking the "right" music or something. like there's something noble in liking the stones, for instance...or disliking some other act. it ain't a contest...nobody's right; nobody's wrong. it's only wrong if you listen to stuff you don't like, i suppose...or don't listen to stuff you do like...or something.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1632
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home