Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 15, 2013 17:27

Anyone seen it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-15 20:39 by tatters.

Re: OT: Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 15, 2013 17:44

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 15, 2013 20:00

Not yet but looking forward to it very much. I bought the soundtrack lp and of course it's great.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 15, 2013 20:20

hope it will be released of dvd

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: June 16, 2013 13:05

Something that may be of interest you can find here:

[teenagedogsintrouble.blogspot.de]

If you're looking for some original vinyl, feel free to contact me!

Date: August 18, 2013 16:54

Still haven't seen "Nothing Can Hurt Me";
but here's another upcoming release that might be of interest:

[theseconddisc.com]

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: August 18, 2013 19:38

Saw it in Dallas with the producer in tow - really enjoyed it, great film for fans - probably a little long for bystanders. Andy Hummel's family and friends were there for that (among which I count myself).

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 18, 2013 21:24

I saw it a few weeks ago at the Roxie Theater in San Francisco and really dug it/ I recommend it most highly...

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: August 18, 2013 22:41

Rank Stranger
Still haven't seen "Nothing Can Hurt Me";
but here's another upcoming release that might be of interest:

[theseconddisc.com]

I downloaded that show from Dime a year or so ago and will be happy to have an official version. It's great.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 28, 2017 11:27

Just saw this tonight. It's airing for the next month on the Starz network.

I thought it was extraordinary. It's a complex tale--would be tough to make a documentary on this "topic" with conventional narrative and, fittingly, the narrative is not at all conventional.

It's complex and full of people, stories, shifting sands, wonderful music across an array of genres, rooted in the geography and culture of Memphis--it was riveting, and I took in as much as I could in one sitting, but will look forward to watching again to catch parts I'm not 100% sure I got.

Well done! I've never been able to get into Big Star--not because I didn't like them, but for didn't quite "get" them because I never heard a continuous sound or musical "personality." I'm inspired to listen to the full albums now, tho the middle one in particular seems extremely sad or bleak. Maybe I'll wait for spring smiling smiley

-swiss

Date: January 28, 2017 14:27

swiss
...I'm inspired to listen to the full albums now, tho the middle one in particular seems extremely sad or bleak. Maybe I'll wait for spring smiling smiley

-swiss

The first two Big Star albums ( #1 Record and Radio City ) were simply great, very hard to get over here in Germany in the 70's.
It's an open question if the third LP ( Third/Sister Lovers ) is still a Big Star effort or an Alex Chilton solo LP; anyway, THAT is the sad/bleak/depressing one!

The original two first albums sounded great on Ardent vinyl;
for the CD reissue my favourite sounding is this:

[www.amazon.de]

To me this sounds as good as the HD Tracks releasse from 2014.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 28, 2017 16:47

I now love all the albums, but it took some time. For me, the first album #1 Record is a stone cold masterpiece. It really is this untouched pop gem genius piece of work that was just ignored and still even today doesn't get its due. Those melodies are so damn catchy and every song is just great. Some insanely rocking material with Don't Lie To Me, Feel, etc that they NEVER did after that. I know many adore Radio City and see it as the pinnacle. I do think its good, and I've grown to love it in its own way, but something changed when Chris Bell left that band. That Lennon/McCartney dynamic was over. Third is also fantastic, but again such a totally different record as has been mentioned.

The documentary was very good. I remember I was so mad it didn't have Chilton. Cause it came out, like, not long after he died and I was like "how long have you been working on this that you couldn't get him?" It just seemed like such a missed opportunity to have neither of the key founding members being able to speak about their lives, when one of them lived till 2 years before the documentary was released. He must have been alive when they started or they did that extremely fast after his death. It was a missed opportunity that couldn't be ignored. But working around it, they did well and its well put together. Anything comprehensive on them is. I've rewatched the doc many times, especially the Third portion all the way through the end cause its so fascinating to see what Alex did after Big Star.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 28, 2017 18:27

It's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen, I've rewatched it many times as well. I've been listening to their albums for a long time but I was unaware of their history until I watched the doc. It's very well made and highly recommended even for those who doesn't know their albums.

Date: January 29, 2017 12:45

Yes tops!

I have slowly accumulated a library of really good documentaries on musicians.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2143
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home