Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: OT - 2011 MLB Baseball - Playoffs - World Series
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 28, 2011 20:40

71Tele
LaRussa used his entire bench and now he has no pinch-hitters for the bottom of the 10th. That's what happens when you over-manage.
Yeah that big dummy doesn't know anything about baseball does he?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 28, 2011 20:49

sweetcharmedlife
71Tele
LaRussa used his entire bench and now he has no pinch-hitters for the bottom of the 10th. That's what happens when you over-manage.
Yeah that big dummy doesn't know anything about baseball does he?
La Russa is a very smart baseball guy, but let's be honest:

The Cardinals were down to their last strike TWICE.

His players came through in the clutch in UNBELIEVABLE ways, multiple times.

La Russa got his ultra-lucky ass bailed out, no question.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 28, 2011 22:39

There is no luck in baseball.
There may be bad calls and there may be mistakes...
but there is no luck.

The pitcher pitches, the batters bat...
There is no luck. Not like in some sports
where there is a lucky bounce, or something.

Larusa set this up when the had Freese in the line up, when he said, whatever the heck he says, to those guys to make them motivated to play the way they have been playing since mid August. They have been coming back since then.

btw- I am no red birds fan, I just call it like I see it... and I am no Texas fan either, I just love MLB Baseball, one of the last honest sports left.

=======================================================================

The story of the Cardinals fan who returned David Freese’s homer
Fri Oct 28 02:41am EDT [sports.yahoo.com]

ST. LOUIS — Though the mad scramble for David Freese's(notes) home run ball looked like a spontaneous mess on Thursday night, the truth is that Dave Huyette (center) and his friend Jeremy Reiland had already played the scenario through their minds several times.

The two were sitting in a pair of outfield bleacher seats they had just purchased and knew that each batter in the St. Louis Cardinals' wild 10-9 win over Texas Rangers in Game 6 of the World Series could be the one to make history. Every time someone came up to bat, Busch Stadium's large batter's eye to the right of their seats provided a constant reminder that a valuable piece of Cardinals' lore could land just a few feet away.

"Every time there was a chance there could be a walkoff home run, Jeremy reminded me that there was a grassy knoll right next to us," said Huyette, a 39-year-old radiologist from Maryville, Ill. "We're out there and I just assumed the position to get ready each time. At one point Albert [Pujols] had the chance to win the game and we thought that was going to be the time that it happened. But it didn't, he was intentionally walked.

"Then Freese came up in the 11th and I heard the crack of the bat and everybody cheered and it was kind of in slow motion. I jumped over the fence and [the ball] kind of landed right there. I just tumbled around it, expecting to getting pummeled and beaten to death."

Did he?

"No, because what I did was shove it down my pants right away. I don't think anyone realized I had it."

That is, everyone but his buddy. Reiland slid on the ground behind Huyette and told him to stay put. Mike Reis, an off-duty St. Louis police officer working ballpark security, later approached the pair and said that Freese or the Hall of Fame might be interested in the baseball. Reis said that Huyette was free to make his own decision, but the fan immediately agreed and was taken to a spot outside the Cardinals clubhouse where he offered the ball to Freese. A quick negotiation ensued and Huyette agreed to trade the ball for a signed bat from Freese as well as a ball signed by the entire Cardinals team. Simple and fast.

"Maybe if I had been wanting for money, it'd be different," Huyette said. "But I make a good living. I wasn't going to hold the country hostage for the ball.

"I told them I didn't need any money, but it'd be nice to meet some of the players." [sports.yahoo.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 29, 2011 01:26

Max'sKansasCity
There is no luck in baseball.
There may be bad calls and there may be mistakes...
but there is no luck.

The pitcher pitches, the batters bat...
There is no luck. Not like in some sports
where there is a lucky bounce, or something.

Larusa set this up when the had Freese in the line up, when he said, whatever the heck he says, to those guys to make them motivated to play the way they have been playing since mid August. They have been coming back since then.

btw- I am no red birds fan, I just call it like I see it... and I am no Texas fan either, I just love MLB Baseball, one of the last honest sports left.
This is what I'm talking about.

Venerating La Russa as this baseball wizard.

You don't like the word "luck"? Fine...I won't use it...

...but as I said: the Cards were down to their last strike TWICE. Do you think that's the position La Russa wanted his team to be in?

It was the PLAYERS who won the game, not some 8-dimensional chess match being played by Tony La Russa...he's a great manager, one of the best in the game, but the players pulled this one off with some of the greatest clutch hitting I've seen...

...also aided by the inexplicably bad judgment of Nelson Cruz on the warning track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-29 01:28 by keefriff99.

Date: October 29, 2011 01:47

Yeah, there is no luck in baseball. As far as larusa, I didnt call him a wizard or anything... I dont even like that SOB. I just said he knows how/what to say to millionaire baseball players to motivate them to perform. I very much agree about that warning track mistake.

anyway....
The bookies are picking the red birds as slight favorites tonight, probably because of Carpenter pitching for stlouie plus the home field advantage..... we will see.

I dont know which team will do it, but I predict a blow out by one of the teams. My crystal ball says one team will be up 5 runs by the 7th inning... and pull ahead from there.

90 minutes to go.... FOR ALL THE MARBLES!!!! 162 regular season games, plus 10+ post season games, and it all comes down to one game for the Championship. It dosent get any better than this.

Date: October 29, 2011 02:34

Max'sKansasCity
Yeah, there is no luck in baseball. As far as larusa, I didnt call him a wizard or anything... I dont even like that SOB. I just said he knows how/what to say to millionaire baseball players to motivate them to perform. I very much agree about that warning track mistake.

anyway....
The bookies are picking the red birds as slight favorites tonight, probably because of Carpenter pitching for stlouie plus the home field advantage..... we will see.

I dont know which team will do it, but I predict a blow out by one of the teams. My crystal ball says one team will be up 5 runs by the 7th inning... and pull ahead from there.

90 minutes to go.... FOR ALL THE MARBLES!!!! 162 regular season games, plus 10+ post season games, and it all comes down to one game for the Championship. It dosent get any better than this.

absolutely..

I used to think La Russa was not a good coach because his teams never seemed to be able to close the deal... but when the Cards won in 2006 I had to accept he was a good coach... of course he's made mistakes but for the past few weeks more often than not it seems like his moves have paid off..... until a few days ago- in particular- he, and I really think he makes the calls, seemed to really be handling his bullpen well

anybody can tonight's game but i'm really hoping it will be the cards. i've grown to really like this team.. guys like Molina, Freese, Motte..quality players..and how can you not like what they've done over the past two months?

i'm guessing carpenter will be on a very short leash.. i'm wary of him pitching on three days rest

Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: October 29, 2011 02:36

not particularly in love with baseball anymore, like back in the salad days,
but Max, your inning by inning of game 6 was great fun to read, about an hour after
the game ended, without knowing what had happened.

Date: October 29, 2011 02:51

nocomment
not particularly in love with baseball anymore, like back in the salad days,
but Max, your inning by inning of game 6 was great fun to read, about an hour after
the game ended, without knowing what had happened.
thumbs up Nice, that is the idea.

Baseball can get a bad rap for being boring, and sometimes it is... but when it heats up, it can be (like last night) as thrilling as a downhill racer making up miliseconds or the last minutes of stoppage time in a tied World Cup match... My objective in logging the game was to maybe show a lil of that excitment to some folks who "dont get it" maybe give them a glimmer.... or if someone, like your self, used to be a fan... maybe fan that flame.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 29, 2011 02:57

I have a dilemma tonight. Do I cancel a date to watch Game 7?

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 29, 2011 03:01

71Tele

take her to a sports bar

Date: October 29, 2011 03:03

71Tele
do both... tape/DVR the game... go to bar with a TV... get in your private jet and go to the game.. there is still time.. watch the first inning on the Lear Jet Tv network....

Date: October 29, 2011 03:14

BA-BA-BA-AD-DA-DA-DA-DA-DA-DA
TEXAS STRIKES FIRST.... AND RON IS DOING THE WASHING(ton) DANCE!!!

2-0 TEXAS 1st inning

Holy cow!! in the Stlouie half of the 1st inning
last nights's hero, Freese, hits a double and
and drives in 2 runners.... and ties the score 2-2 WOW!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-29 03:28 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 29, 2011 03:28

Great great game!!

Date: October 29, 2011 03:44

slew
Great great game!!
thumbs upsmileys with beersmoking smiley

Posted by: winter ()
Date: October 29, 2011 04:13

MKC, I just want to thank you for providing my ENTIRE coverage of the 2011 WS (except for a brief watch at a friends when the no hitter was going last weekend). I don't have a TV anymore and haven't followed the game for the last 5-6 years. So thank you for providing us w/ a spirited enthusiastic week+ of coverage. I now might even try to tune it in on internet radio somehow (don't have cable/siriusxm etc) or the mlb site for the last few innings, thanks to yours and your thread participants' enthusiasm. Have a great game you guys, sounds like it already started pretty hot!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 29, 2011 04:15

Send It To me
71Tele

take her to a sports bar

That'll go over well...

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: October 29, 2011 04:39

To the Rangers:

]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 29, 2011 04:45

Guy on the Cardinals spells his name Theriot, and pronounces it "Terry-O". You gotta know all his friends call him "The Riot".

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 29, 2011 04:49

tatters
Guy on the Cardinals spells his name Theriot, and pronounces it "Terry-O". You gotta know all his friends call him "The Riot".

Common name in my part of the world. French ancestry.

Date: October 29, 2011 04:50

winter
MKC, I just want to thank you for providing my ENTIRE coverage of the 2011 WS (except for a brief watch at a friends when the no hitter was going last weekend). I don't have a TV anymore and haven't followed the game for the last 5-6 years. So thank you for providing us w/ a spirited enthusiastic week+ of coverage. I now might even try to tune it in on internet radio somehow (don't have cable/siriusxm etc) or the mlb site for the last few innings, thanks to yours and your thread participants' enthusiasm. Have a great game you guys, sounds like it already started pretty hot!
smiling smiley You are very welcome, it is my pleasuresmileys with beer

It has been a fun post season... which, if we recall, all started on the last day of the season(logged early in this thread), with one of the best days/nights in MLB history.... and led up to one of the best Series games in Series history... although, facts be known last nights game should have been over with a somewhat routine catch on the warning track and game over, but the ball was misplayed, and that misplay may have cost Texas a Championship... but that is the way the ball bounces.... and it leads to more fun tonight smiling smiley and it aint over yet....

5th inning... Stlouie up to bat
Stlouie leads 3-2... after a furious start the
game has settled down to good ole baseball.

YIKES... AND Texas loads the bases with a walk
with one of the Molina brothers on deck.... uh oh....
2 outs... Yadier Molina at the dish

1 ball... 2 balls... 3 balls ...UH OH!!!! bases freekin loaded
3 balls... 1 strike... 2 STRIKES!!!! (Molina thought it was a ball)
3 balls 2 stirkes.... bases loaded.... BALL!!! AND THE PITCHER WALKS IN A RUN!!!!

STLOUIE LEADS 4-2

BASES STILL LOADED.... 2 OUTS

NEW PITCHER COMING ....

OMG!!!!! THEY HIT FURCAL WITH THE FIRST PITCH
IT IS NOW 5-2

bases loaded, 2 outs, 5th inning
1 ball, 2 strikes....

whew..... and a stike out ends the bleeding...

to the 6th inning.... stlouie leads 5-2

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-29 05:01 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 29, 2011 05:01

Update, to Texas:

Date: October 29, 2011 05:03

How many Molina brothers are there in MLB? [answers.yahoo.com]

There are three Molina brothers in Major League baseball and all three are catchers. Jose plays for the Toronto Blue Jays, Yadier is on the St. Louis Cardinals and Bengie is on the Texas Rangers.

Date: October 29, 2011 05:11

update-

LONG LONG deep deep ... ouch!!! and Nelson Cruz/Texas is robbed
of a home run with a fantastic catch by Allen Craig above the outfield fence....

we go to the bottom on the 6th

Pitcher Carpenter stays in the game...
and bats... and he is out at first base
I guess he will be pitching the 7th inning....
1 Out....

2 outs...

and now Allen Craig comes to the dish...
1 ball... 1 strike.... 2 stikes....
2 balls 2 stikes stike 3 ....

to the 7th
stlouie leads 5-2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-29 05:16 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: October 29, 2011 05:13

Max'sKansasCity
There are three Molina brothers in Major League baseball[/b] and all three are catchers. Jose plays for the Toronto Blue Jays, Yadier is on the St. Louis Cardinals and Bengie is on the Texas Rangers.

Must have a good lineage of highly developed knees in that family tree....

Date: October 29, 2011 05:17

Best manager Texas ever had:

Date: October 29, 2011 05:23

winter
Max'sKansasCity
There are three Molina brothers in Major League baseball[/b] and all three are catchers. Jose plays for the Toronto Blue Jays, Yadier is on the St. Louis Cardinals and Bengie is on the Texas Rangers.

Must have a good lineage of highly developed knees in that family tree....

No kidding. I consider catcher one of the hardest positions in all of sports... every inning put on the gear, take off the gear... gotta bat.... EVERY pitch is coming at you... no glory.... just being the idiot if the catcher throws the ball into center field/or misses on the pick off throw to second base... not to mention it is the only positon where a "freight train" coming in from 3rd base is allowed to FULL SPEED attack the catcher, like a linebacker screaming in to take out the quaterback... except it is baseball...

Yup those Molina brothers are some bad asses.
AND.... I think they all have Championship rings... Cheers to them....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-29 05:32 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 29, 2011 05:28

AND NOW.....
La Russa seems like he is changing pitchers.. every other batter.

I wonder why he had Carpenter bat in the 6th...
.....instead of putting in a power swinger?

I guess that is why I am typing... and La Russa managing in the Series winking smiley

Date: October 29, 2011 05:29

now its La Russa working the bullpen time....

walking Freese to get to molina while understandable was a tough call as Molina is pretty clutch..in the end they walked him too..

Date: October 29, 2011 05:30

huge out! striking out kinsler

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-29 05:31 by stoned in washington dc.

Date: October 29, 2011 05:33

every out is huge now...obviously..

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home