Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT - Nirvana - Nevermind - 20 years old
Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 28, 2011 16:36

This one?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 28, 2011 21:30

dcba
" 'Turn all the treble off. I want it to sound more like Black Sabbath."

Hey that's exactly what Albini did on IUtero... only to be stabbed in the back by Cobain who in the CD booklet put his own bass/treble settings...

That is telling and strange. Oh well, maybe blame it on the mastering engineer. lol peace. I like both mixes for different reasons. These days a good engineer is like a key member of the band and must be give some creative access to do as he sees fit. But when you get enginneer,artist,record label man and producer all wanting to control the final mix it is a recipie for disaster. Too many cooks spoil the soup. peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-29 19:58 by Naturalust.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: September 29, 2011 23:07

dcba
"one of the most amazing bands ever! Just total kick-ass, intense, riff-driven rock, and it changed a generation"

You should become a PR man for a music conglomerate/label, you speak like one of them...

"and it changed a generation"
Who topped the U.S. charts the same year Cobain erased himself? Hootie & the Blowfish, alright!!! If Nirvana changed a generation well the change must have been superficial smoking smiley

Agreed. Unreal how overrated.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 30, 2011 00:15

mickscarey
dcba
"one of the most amazing bands ever! Just total kick-ass, intense, riff-driven rock, and it changed a generation"

You should become a PR man for a music conglomerate/label, you speak like one of them...

"and it changed a generation"
Who topped the U.S. charts the same year Cobain erased himself? Hootie & the Blowfish, alright!!! If Nirvana changed a generation well the change must have been superficial smoking smiley

Agreed. Unreal how overrated.

Unreal how ignorant some are. Nevermind changing a generation is not my words, read any press article about it (not to mention, I lived thru it & witnessed it but that goes w/ out saying)

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 30, 2011 17:31

FreeBird
Why didn't anyone mention that the intro to Smells Like Teen Spirit sounds like Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)?

Because SLTS sounds nothing like Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) grinning smiley

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: September 30, 2011 17:53

Although a good record NM is very overrated but it did the business. Still prefer In Utero and Bleach has some nice tunes too. Bought that 3CD + DVD box a few years ago and it's sat on the shelf unplayed, now joined by the Bleach 2CD and NM2CD set until I'm in that mood again.

In the Pearl Jam 20 movie there's a back stage clip of Eddid Vedder and Kurt dancing.

Also love a bit of Soundgarden too from that era.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: September 30, 2011 18:43

Father Ted
FreeBird
Why didn't anyone mention that the intro to Smells Like Teen Spirit sounds like Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)?

Because SLTS sounds nothing like Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) grinning smiley
But the intro does, and a lot.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: September 30, 2011 22:32

garbage!

Date: September 30, 2011 23:55

microvibe
garbage!

Sorry, but this is not the Dirty Work / Steel Wheels thread.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 1, 2011 02:31

I know this isn't constructive but... I. HATE. NIRVANA.

They took music a step back, much like post-modernism and nihilism. It just doesn't amount to much. Maybe I've just never been angry enough to enjoy that crap. Thrashing around with distortion pedals just isn't my thing.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 1, 2011 02:54

This was all past my youth, but it`s punk, ennit? (cut that grunge nonsense). The only song I`ve heard is "Smells Like..", a song full of hate, just like black metal.

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: October 1, 2011 07:18

dcba
"Hendrix is still THE reference and example.Not so much Nirvana"

Hendrix was a genius, Nirvana were a bunch of lucky guys...

Yes he was a genius. So was Cobain. Hendrix didn't get lucky in England. Nahhhh no way. Geniuses, especially in music, come in many shapes and forms. Who's a genius and who's not? It's all in any persons given perception and definition of what exactly is " genius ". In the music industry, however, I think it's safe to say that any one or any band who makes it big got very very lucky in one way or another. U can be a genius all u want but if Ur not out their bustin Ur butt playin gigs, making demos, puttin urself out there then no one is ever gonna know. So yes he he Hendrix most certainly was a genius but luck was on his side in a major way as well. Any band who finds any sort of fame on those levels simply got lucky. Oh yeah talent helps but not always

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 1, 2011 11:17

flacnvinyl

They took music a step back, much like post-modernism and nihilism. It just doesn't amount to much. Maybe I've just never been angry enough to enjoy that crap. Thrashing around with distortion pedals just isn't my thing.

he was a genius songwriter. proven by the fact that all the songs worked perfectly as unpulgged versions (without thrashing around with distortion pedals).
of course its always a matter of taste, but nirvana and the grunge period was the last time rock n roll really mattered!! it moved and influenced a whole generation. never happened since then.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 1, 2011 18:27

"proven by the fact that all the songs worked perfectly as unpulgged versions"

Imho the best parts of the "Unplugged" gig are... the cover songs (Bowie and Leadbelly). Cobain was a sensitive interpreter, but [was he] a great songwriter I don't know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-01 23:28 by dcba.

Date: October 1, 2011 19:18

dcba

Imho the best parts of the "Unplugged" gig are... the cover songs (Bowie and Leadbelly). Cobain was a sensitive interpreter, but a great songwriter I don't know.

To me the entire performance is brilliant, and it points out what an amazing voice Kurt had. Pennyroyal Tea, Come As You Are, All Apologies were just as good as those tracks -- actually I don't even thing the Bowie one was done that well, the Meat Puppet covers were far better sung by him.

Date: October 1, 2011 19:57

FreeBird
Father Ted
FreeBird

No it doesn't. Not at all. Clean yer ears out.

Date: October 1, 2011 19:59

flacnvinyl

Do everyone a favor and stay in Louisville. You obviously missed it.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: October 1, 2011 20:00

I totally like Nevermind. I think it's definitely Nirvana's masterpiece.
I never get tired of Lounge Act and Come As You Are. That cd brings back so many memories from school....

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: October 1, 2011 21:36

DragonSky
FreeBird
Father Ted
FreeBird

No it doesn't. Not at all. Clean yer ears out.
Umm... It's almost a note for note copy.eye rolling smiley

Date: October 1, 2011 23:09

No it isn't. It's not 'note for note'. What are you smoking?

Nevermind's boxset has sold out at all available stores from what I've read.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 1, 2011 23:32

I'm not trying to controversial for the sake of it BUT imho again Alice In Chain's "UNplugged" was far more moving and in the case of "Rooster" positively chilling...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 2, 2011 02:50

flacnvinyl

It ain't about the way it's made. You gotta feel it in your heart.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 2, 2011 02:55

out of my head
Oh yeah talent helps but not always

yeah, that sounds about right. peace.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: October 2, 2011 11:41

LeonidP
dcba

Imho the best parts of the "Unplugged" gig are... the cover songs (Bowie and Leadbelly). Cobain was a sensitive interpreter, but a great songwriter I don't know.

To me the entire performance is brilliant, and it points out what an amazing voice Kurt had. Pennyroyal Tea, Come As You Are, All Apologies were just as good as those tracks -- actually I don't even thing the Bowie one was done that well, the Meat Puppet covers were far better sung by him.

Nirvana were my favorite band at the time of the Unplugged show's original airing. I loved almost all of Nevermind (I was never that fond of their slower, more droning and "grungy" songs, like Come As You Are, but loved the other stuff, especially what would be considered side 2), and loved In Utero even more. But I was never that thrilled with the Unplugged performance.

A lot of it came down to my personal taste, I'm just not big on rock and roll being played that way. But I always felt a lot of the performance, and especially Kurt's guitar sound, wasn't all that great. I don't think it was his best night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-02 19:55 by bustedtrousers.

Date: October 2, 2011 17:31

dcba
I'm not trying to controversial for the sake of it BUT imho again Alice In Chain's "UNplugged" was far more moving and in the case of "Rooster" positively chilling...

Damn, this makes me want to cry. Heroin is so evil, Layne was a sweetheart and this was his last full on effort, and he was missing almost all his teeth here. Heartbreaking. doo doo doo duh duh duh peace.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 2, 2011 17:52

Next to Nirvana, Alice In Chain's is a band that it impressed me back then......

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 3, 2011 00:04

Anyone listened to the new mix ?

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: October 3, 2011 01:16

Smells Like Teen Spirit Devonshire Mix is on the box set. It still sounds killer. Thinking about getting all the rest of those mixes from iTunes instead of buying the $109 box set.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: October 3, 2011 01:32

guitarbastard
flacnvinyl

he was a genius songwriter. proven by the fact that all the songs worked perfectly as unpulgged versions (without thrashing around with distortion pedals).
of course its always a matter of taste, but nirvana and the grunge period was the last time rock n roll really mattered!! it moved and influenced a whole generation. never happened since then.

GuitarBastard you hit right on the head! On the head about the song writing/composing performed acoustically and that R&R still mattered, a force to be reckoned with.

About A Girl was especially good unplugged and shows that Bleach was early work from a band with potential. Today they would get dropped from the Record Label after Bleach. Probably, anyway. That they survived even then after Bleach is miraculous. Springsteen's last chance was Born To Run. Imagine if he was not given that last chance? U2 (please don't start, we've heard it all here @ IORR before) had a similar experience.

Listen to Zappa's Tinseltown Rebellion for an amusing musical take of the Record Biz.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 3, 2011 01:58

DragonSky
flacnvinyl

Do everyone a favor and stay in Louisville. You obviously missed it.

Whoa dude. Since when did sharing my opinion justify you insulting me? I don't like Nirvana, therefor screw me? Did I hit a sore spot? Thin skin? Any other topics/bands I should avoid?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home