Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ronnie's 'I got my own album to do'. Best solo effort from a Stone!
Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: September 23, 2011 09:48

Half way through that is the first Keith solo album.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: September 23, 2011 11:14

jamesjagger
Half way through that is the first Keith solo album.

I've always liked how Keith got a lead vocal on Sure the One You Need.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 23, 2011 12:35

DiscoVolante
Well, a soon-to-be Stone! But yeah, I believe the album title is a nod to Rod Stewart and his solo career. You can see (and hear) a red line where Ronnie were heading.

I thought that the album title was something Jagger said on his way out the door one night during the sessions and that Wood and Jagger wrote It's Only Rock 'n' Roll and I Can Feel the Fire together and made a deal that the Stones would get one and Wood would get the other.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 23, 2011 12:39

Justin
Ronnie's solo output has been the most consistent out of all the Stones. There's always something of value on each of Ronnie's albums. Every one of them.

Unfortunately, that "something of value" doesn't include the lead vocals. Wood sings like a rooster with emphysema. Yeah, I'm usually not one to criticize "bad" voiced singers (Keef, Dylan, etc.), but I just can't abide Wood's attempts at singing.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: September 23, 2011 13:22

Didn't Keith describe Ronnie's voice as "the kind of voice only a mother could love"?

Always loved this album, blinding vocal contribution from Rod Stewart. Wish he was on more of the album.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 23, 2011 16:50

I also agree that this is a good album which provided me a lot of pleasure at the time it was released. But it does not reach in my opinion Keith's solo albums, neither Mick Taylor's ( which I must say I privileged).

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 23, 2011 18:10

I think Taylor's first album is very, very under-appreciated...Wood's first is so great because it is such an all-star effort. Great contributions from Richards, Jagger. Harrison, Stewart, Taylor. Nice songs. I don't think he transcended the limits of his songwriting or singing on his other efforts quite as much as this one.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: September 23, 2011 18:31

And the only solo material ever performed by the Stones, Sure The One You Need (Almost Hear You Sigh doesn't count as the Winos version was never officially released).

Date: September 23, 2011 18:37

71Tele
I think Taylor's first album is very, very under-appreciated...Wood's first is so great because it is such an all-star effort. Great contributions from Richards, Jagger. Harrison, Stewart, Taylor. Nice songs. I don't think he transcended the limits of his songwriting or singing on his other efforts quite as much as this one.

What about Now Look?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 23, 2011 19:19

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

What about Now Look?

Fair point. It's been a long time since I've listened to it. I remember not liking it as much as IGMOATD. I did like his version of Dylan's "Seven Days". Which one was that on?

Date: September 23, 2011 19:24

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

What about Now Look?

Fair point. It's been a long time since I've listened to it. I remember not liking it as much as IGMOATD. I did like his version of Dylan's "Seven Days". Which one was that on?

Gimme Some Neck. Good songs on that album, but a horrendous production and mix, imo.

IMO, Now Look is up there with IGMOATD. Keith, Taylor and Womack plays on this album, too.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 23, 2011 21:04

I agree. Much of NOW LOOK was recorded during the first albums sessions....

Date: September 23, 2011 22:12

Easily one of my favorite records of all time. Great songs, performances and that lovely warm 70's production. Hell of a come down record. Better than quite a few Stones albums of the era.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: September 23, 2011 22:47

I love this album,definitely Ronnie's finest in my personal opinion.
Like most of his stuff but this one is the one I've played the most,still got the original vinyl,even got a version called Cancel Everything when for some bizarre reason it was out of print.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 24, 2011 00:42

The original British version of his IGMOATD had an insert illustrated by Wood that sadly wasn't included in U.S. copies, which listed specific musician credits for each track,

It was a shame that they didn't include it in the CD booklet when the album finally came out in that format. The Now Look CD had an additional photo that wasn't on the vinyl jacket.

Date: September 24, 2011 01:34

Stones players on IGMOATD: Hope this is helpful!

This is from Roy Carr's; "Illustrated Record".

1. I can feel The Fire
Mick Jagger: Vocal/rhythm guitar
Keith Richard: Electric guitar/percussive guitar

2. Far East Man
Mick Taylor: Bass

3. Mystifies Me
Mick Taylor: Bass (?????)

4. Take A Look At The Guy
Keith Richard: Vocal/electric guitar/electric and acoustic piano
Mick Taylor: Electric guitar

5. Act Together
Keith Richard: Vocal/electric guitar/electric and acoustic piano

6. Am I Grooving You
Mick Jagger: Vocal
Keith Richard: Vocal/electric guitar

7.Shirley
Mick Taylor: Electric guitar/bass/wurlitzer

8. Cancel Everything
Keith Richard: Electric guitar/vocal

9. Sure The One You Need
Keith Richard: Lead vocal/electric guitar

10.If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody
Keith Richard: Lead Guitar/vocal
Mick Taylor: Arp synth

11. Crotch Music
Keith Richard: Guitar effects

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1996
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home