Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian
Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: December 1, 2016 07:39

Just thinking after looking at some pictures of Brian and wondering. Do you think Brian was kind of a mix of Mick and Keith combined? I apologize if this has been discussed before. It just was something I was thinking about. He almost seemed to have some of both of their traits.

Re: Brian
Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: December 1, 2016 13:42

My guess is, he was a unique person.
Back in the 1960's it was not possible yet to combine to male genotypes.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 1, 2016 15:07

Well maybe the other way (a)round!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 1, 2016 16:00

I was thinking last night that it would be a nice touch if the new album was dedicated to Brian. The boy loved the blues.

Date: December 1, 2016 16:27

Then again, he was complex. According to Keith, he didn't really like Jimmy Reed and Muddy Waters. Mick and Keith turned him on to those cats rather quickly, though. Chuck Berry as well smiling smiley

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: December 1, 2016 18:41

What about dedicating to stu ...

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: December 1, 2016 21:16

Brian was one of a kind, for good or worse.
I have mixed emotions about him.

Very talented obviously, a dedicated blues fan who could play slide guitar like no one else in England at the time. I love the slide on Wanna Be Your Man, Little Red Rooster and No Expectations. Founder of what would become The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World. Brilliant musical contributions, especially on Aftermath. And he helped Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Howlin' Wolf, Jimmy Reed and Bo Diddley get the credit they deserved.

I respect his importance and admire his musical talents. He was quite intelligent and could be funny, but he was not a very nice person. He lied to and stole money from friends and employers. He was abusive to his girlfriends, extremely selfish and didn't seem to care for anyone but himself. And as if that was not enough, he tortured (yes, tortured) his friend Dick Hattrell in Edith Grove.

I think what Brian had most in common with Mick and Keith was the love for music and not much else. They had completely different personalities.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 1, 2016 22:14

EJM
What about dedicating to stu ...

Maybe both?

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: December 1, 2016 22:17

The Worst.
...he tortured (yes, tortured) his friend Dick Hattrell in Edith Grove...

Explanation please?

Olly.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: December 1, 2016 22:52

Well, I don't know all the details of course - because I wasn't there. But many different sources state that Brian did unpleasant things to Dick Hattrell, including threats, bullying and physical abuse. Bill Wyman wrote that Brian in general was “cruel” and “gruesome” towards Dick Hattrell. Jane Filby said that Brian and others "were very mean to him".

Once Brian electrocuted Dick Hattrell. From an interview with Keith Richards:
"We came back to our pad, and he was in Brian's bed. Brian for some reason got very annoyed that he was in his bed asleep. We had all these cables lying around and he pulled out this wire. 'This end is plugged in baby and I'm coming after ya.' This cat went screaming out of the pad and into the snow in his underpants. 'They're electrocuting me, they're electrocuting me.' Somebody brought him in an hour later and he was blue. He was afraid to come in because he was so scared of Brian. Brian used to pull these weird things."

The same episode was described by Paul Trynka in his book:
"Brian’s face was right in front of him, contorted with rage. Struggling to register what was happening, Dick saw that Brian was holding two electrical wires in front of his face. “Two hundred and forty volts” he spat at his old buddy. “Let’s see how you like two hundred and forty volts through you!”

About the incident, Dick himself is quoted in Trynka’s book:
"I don’t know why he did it. Maybe he thought it was something sexual. I can assure you it wasn’t." + "He could be the sweetest person ever, then, just like that, click of the fingers, he’d lose his temper completely and be the most horrible person you could ever be with."

Keith added these lines in LIFE about another incident:
“Brian was merciless to Dick.”
“Brian almost killed the man.”
“Even Mick and I were shocked, and we were pretty cold blooded.”
“I wonder what happened to Dick Hattrell. If he survived that, he could survive everything.”

Maybe James Phelge can provide some more detailed information?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 1, 2016 23:26

Iggyrichards
Do you think Brian was kind of a mix of Mick and Keith combined?

I what way? Personally, musically, looks?

I highly doubt it though, Brian was a very unique person, and surely wouldn't have molded himself to be Meith or Kick.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 1, 2016 23:30

The Worst.

“I wonder what happened to Dick Hattrell. If he survived that, he could survive everything.”

Well, he survived till at least 2010. http://www.brianjonesfanclub.com/menu_2/richard_hattrell.html

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1428
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home