Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: R.E.M. Break Up
Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: September 21, 2011 21:02

It's the end of the world as we know it...
Time

Re: OT: R.E.M. Break Up
Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: September 21, 2011 21:15

31 years together, gosh. I feel so old. I saw them when they were youngsters - they were sweet and humble, Stipe had a full head o' hair.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 21, 2011 21:40

they did alright. Kinda lost me on their recent albums, but they had a fierce groove, interesting songs, and seemed to be really cool people.

they have a great bunch of work, nothing to cringe at. I love the fact that they played some of the dive-y-est bars, all along knowing they had something good.

Charlotte NC figures prominently in their early career. Glad I saw them then.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 21, 2011 21:49

They will re-unite in 5 years.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 21, 2011 21:52

TooTough
They will re-unite in 5 years.

They're already in talks about a possible reunion

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 21, 2011 21:59

Ethan Kaplan, owner of the R.E.M. fan community Murmurs and former Senior Vice President of Emerging Technology at Warner Bros. Records, says that the band's decision was influenced in part by label politics. "I suspected this was coming last fall," Kaplan tells Rolling Stone. "If you remember, they weathered a lot of storms in this business, and have always operated on their own terms. [Warner Bros.] changed starting last September, and I think the demands on a band now to get a record out were more than they might have wanted to commit. I can understand that after how hard they worked for how long, the thought of going back to 'paying dues' with new label staff, in a very weird industry, was too much."

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: September 21, 2011 22:09

Didn't know they were still together

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: September 21, 2011 22:11

I thought Around the Sun (contained Leaving NY) was brilliant, but guess I was in the minority. probably Wouldn't pay to see them live again, and haven't followed them closely for 20+ years, but it is sad in a way to see them breakup.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 21, 2011 22:13

Seriously bummed about this. One of my all-time favorite bands, they (along w/our beloved Stones of course) got me through some tough times as a teenager. I am even more bummed because their newest album is their best in 15 years and had really, really hoped for a tour behind it.

Well, I gotta give them props for ending on a high note and knowing when its time to call it a day. They're each individually true lovers of music in their own right, something I can always respect.

Date: September 21, 2011 22:13

Glam Descendant
Ethan Kaplan, owner of the R.E.M. fan community Murmurs and former Senior Vice President of Emerging Technology at Warner Bros. Records, says that the band's decision was influenced in part by label politics. "I suspected this was coming last fall," Kaplan tells Rolling Stone. "If you remember, they weathered a lot of storms in this business, and have always operated on their own terms. [Warner Bros.] changed starting last September, and I think the demands on a band now to get a record out were more than they might have wanted to commit. I can understand that after how hard they worked for how long, the thought of going back to 'paying dues' with new label staff, in a very weird industry, was too much."

you'd think they could make any record they want at this point, and a label would put it out. If they still wanted to make records together.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 21, 2011 22:19

Loved them through the 80s but they struggled to find an identity in the 90s and noughties. Ironically their last album Collapse Into Now was the best thing they'd recorded since Automatic For The People.

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: September 21, 2011 22:26

Rapid eye movement

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: September 21, 2011 22:28

Saw the singer on TV today and he said that there were no plans to tour next year

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: September 21, 2011 22:32

Never liked them.

Date: September 21, 2011 22:46

i think a greatest hits package is due late this year to close out their career

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 21, 2011 22:54

What´s The Frequency, Kenneth? is good

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 21, 2011 22:55

That is correct Keefriffhard, they are supposed to have a career-spanning set this year w/more new songs.

I suspected that the new album would be the last for a lot of reasons - much of the lyrical content hints at it, the decision not to tour, the fact that tried to make it sound so much like a 'classic' REM fans - giving the fans what they want.Heck if you look at the cover, Michael Stipe even appears to be waving goodbye. I suspect they knew it would be their last as well.

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: September 21, 2011 23:05

Remember when they were playing fraternity parties in Athens back in 81. SAE and KA in particular. At the time most folks felt Pylon would be the next Athens band to break out. Liked the EP and the first 4 or 5 albums REM put out.As they moved from clubs and theaters into basketball arenas, I felt the band lost something.Plus around that time TGR&RBITW started touring again and I kind of lost interest in "local" bands.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 21, 2011 23:06

If this was the only hit they ever had, it was enough........

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 21, 2011 23:07

Disappointing news. A genuinely great band.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 21, 2011 23:17

Jesse1960
Remember when they were playing fraternity parties in Athens back in 81. SAE and KA in particular. At the time most folks felt Pylon would be the next Athens band to break out. Liked the EP and the first 4 or 5 albums REM put out.As they moved from clubs and theaters into basketball arenas, I felt the band lost something.Plus around that time TGR&RBITW started touring again and I kind of lost interest in "local" bands.

very cool Jesse, thanks. I like the whole frat party part, I was there too. They were the only ones in those college towns who paid the bands fees and included the benefits! Lotsa beer. Kegs and Kegs of cold beer. peace.

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: September 21, 2011 23:25

I am getting old.. that was my first thought at the second I heard the news on the radio (about 20 minutes ago).

20 years ago "Loosing my religion".. 20 years ago Nirvana's Nevermind Metallica's Black Album and RHCP's Blood Sugar..

And for a about 2 minutes I was afraid that I would start to cry.. but I decided to drink a coooold beer.

Posted by: rangerdave ()
Date: September 21, 2011 23:34

I remember a Keef interview in the late 80s, I think, where he dismissed REM as 'wimpy cult stuff'.. ha!

Date: September 21, 2011 23:50

rangerdave
I remember a Keef interview in the late 80s, I think, where he dismissed REM as 'wimpy cult stuff'.. ha!

lmao, Yeah that was before wimpy cult stuff and geeks became cool. REM is still kinda wimpy cult stuff. But songs like NightSwimming are so good I actually transposed the whole piano part to mandolin. Play it still. Besides Peter the guitar player took bands like Uncle Tupelo and recorded them properly and pushed them to become Jeff's Tweedy's Wilco and Jay's Farrar's Son Volt. Both these bands are spectacular live and still play what the Stones always wanted to play but couldn't because they were English, American Rock and Roll! peace.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: September 21, 2011 23:58

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 16:02 by vudicus.

Date: September 22, 2011 00:02

Naturalust
rangerdave

lmao, Yeah that was before wimpy cult stuff and geeks became cool. REM is still kinda wimpy cult stuff. But songs like NightSwimming are so good I actually transposed the whole piano part to mandolin. Play it still. Besides Peter the guitar player took bands like Uncle Tupelo and recorded them properly and pushed them to become Jeff's Tweedy's Wilco and Jay's Farrar's Son Volt. Both these bands are spectacular live and still play what the Stones always wanted to play but couldn't because they were English, American Rock and Roll! peace.

don't think those divisions ( American / British) matter much if it rocks.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 22, 2011 00:04

They'll be back together in a couple of years. Everybody gets burned out. But if your a musician. You play music. If they're worried about labe l politics Iwould think they'd be able to put out an album on their own.

Date: September 22, 2011 00:08

duke richardson
Naturalust
rangerdave

don't think those divisions ( American / British) matter much if it rocks.

Certainly not. Although I am bit peeved it took 4 skinny english lads from Liverpool and 5 from London to teach me about the music of my own homeland. Actually charged me for it. peace.

Date: September 22, 2011 00:13

yeah me too!!
cool smiley,

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 22, 2011 00:29

Silver Dagger
Loved them through the 80s but they struggled to find an identity in the 90s and noughties. Ironically their last album Collapse Into Now was the best thing they'd recorded since Automatic For The People.

Loved Murmur and Life's Rich Pageant..
Lost me after that, but these were some great songs:

My favorite, "Flowers of Guatemala" is not available....but its a great political song.
Amid the dreck of the 80s, REM was a bright light of real music with real meaning.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home