Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Jagger: there won’t be an autobiography - new interview with the Times
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 19, 2011 09:25

Mick Jagger: there won’t be an autobiography
The 50th anniversary of the Rolling Stones is not the time to be going over the past, the band’s frontman says
A year is a long time in rock’n’roll. It’s been almost 12 months since The Times serialised Keith Richards’s autobiography Life, in which he described Mick Jagger, his friend and collaborator of 50 years as “unbearable”, scorned his decision to accept a knighthood and suggested that the singer’s manhood was on the modest side of manly.
As the slanging match extended to their respective friends and family, one of the greatest creative partnerships in the history of British rock music was reduced to a jibe about the dimensions of Sir Mick’s allegedly “tiny todger”.
Jagger’s former wife Jerry Hall put Richards’ dig down to sheer jealousy. Richards himself, talking to me at that time at his house in Connecticut, explained that he was writing not about their current relationship but the famous breach of the 1980s, when Jagger chose to make a solo record rather than tour with the Stones. Richards told me of his pride in overcoming their differences, it made them a “real band”, he insisted, but the damage was done. Still, Jagger, the gentleman rock star, would not be drawn. Those close to him disclosed that he was deeply upset by the book, but he kept his counsel, refused an offer from this paper to put across his side of the story, and continued working.
Today, in one of the more modest suites in the Dorchester Hotel in central London, he breaks his silence. Looking healthy and relaxed in a sharp, pink jacket and crisp shirt, he talks enthusiastically about SuperHeavy, his new “supergroup”, but also dissects his relationship with “’im indoors”, the one who calls Jagger “Brenda,” among other rather less affectionate names. Keef.

to read more - [www.thetimes.co.uk]
or
[www.iorr.org]

Re: Mick Jagger: there won’t be an autobiography - new interview with the Times
Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: September 19, 2011 09:55

One would expect him to talk about SuperHeavy with enthusiasm. He's trying to shift vinyl (metaphorically speaking).

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 19, 2011 09:58

The autobiography is just more of the same. If they can keep working after comments like "dogshit in the doorway" they can keep working after this.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 19, 2011 11:20

He says he's writing for the Stones. That says a lot.

I m not so sure about this: "I’m very fortunate because my voice sounds almost exactly the same.”

And to those who sneered when I said he was upset by Keith's book...it appears I was correct.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 19, 2011 11:34

Bliss
when I said he was upset by Keith's book...it appears I was correct.

Please help. Where in the interview does Mick say that ? I cannot find it.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 19, 2011 12:39

Mick Jagger
I did some sessions with Charlie quite recently where I just played some
songs I’d written, and of course I wrote more when he was there. I’d start
making them up, so that was good fun, so we had a really good time doing that

This quote is really striking me as the most remarkable fact that came out of the Stones camp
for the last couple of years. Mick and Charlie doing sessions together!
Has this ever occured in the 50 years before?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: September 19, 2011 12:54

Can someone copy the complete text of this interview here?
I hav obviously no access to the fulle interview.

Mr.Fancyman aka Bill Wyman

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2011 12:57

mrFancyman IORR link at end of proudmary's first post ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 19, 2011 12:58

marcovandereijk
Mick Jagger

This quote is really striking me as the most remarkable fact that came out of the Stones camp

Does anyone know when this was?

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 19, 2011 17:13

marcovandereijk
Mick Jagger

Seeing that it hasn't been fifty years yet with Charlie in the band, no.

Date: September 19, 2011 19:10

Bliss
I m not so sure about this: "I’m very fortunate because my voice sounds almost exactly the same.”

I doubt whether this comment is meant to be taken literally. My guess is that Jagger was being sardonic and self-depracating as usual. I'd love to see a video of this interview which I suspect will confirm my suspicions regarding this quote. His humor is usually lost on quite a few folks on this board.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 19, 2011 21:48

wanderingspirit66
Bliss

I doubt whether this comment is meant to be taken literally. My guess is that Jagger was being sardonic and self-depracating as usual. I'd love to see a video of this interview which I suspect will confirm my suspicions regarding this quote. His humor is usually lost on quite a few folks on this board.

You have a point that is very well founded. But one never knows too.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 19, 2011 23:28

From USA Today interview

"The thing about writing books is you have to live through your whole life and dredge up all this stuff," he says. "To my mind, it's rather a dull experience. When people get to a certain age, they tend to live in the past. They get ossified. 'I remember when' is how it usually starts. 'I remember when the Internet didn't exist.' I think it's more fun to write fiction. At least it gets your imagination going, instead of dredging up these ancient histories distorted through the lens of years."
By the way, Jagger does remember life before the Internet, and it was less frivolous.
"I spend way too much time on the computer and not enough time playing the guitar," he says. "There's an underlying problem of this screen life taking over all of your life. It's easy to keep in touch with people, some of whom I wish I'd never kept in touch with. But there they are on Facebook! You can spend a lot of time on that when you should be doing something else."
Yes, he's on Twitter. But does he send those tweets himself?
"No!" he says. "But, really, who does?"

[www.usatoday.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 20, 2011 01:01

Mick takes his video camera wherever he goes. It's on constantly. It's as if he's writing a video biography. I wonder if he'll ever package that and release it...he sort of did with Being Mick.....interesting that he's opening up a little bit about Keith's memoirs and writing for the Stones solo and w/ Charlie....more forethcoming than usual...I think he hears fans desire...he certainly noticed the sales of the re issue of Exile....and the Some Girls re issue I think will be even better....but the question remains can he and Keith put aside their differences....perhaps it's time for Keith to make a public stand and apologize in a more sincere way....I won't hold my breath.

Date: September 20, 2011 01:52

Rolling Hansie
Bliss

Bliss, can you please reply ? (or anybody else)

-------------------

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 20, 2011 02:18

Mick doesnt say it. 'Those close to him' said it.

"Jagger’s former wife Jerry Hall put Richards’ dig down to sheer jealousy. Richards himself, talking to me at that time at his house in Connecticut, explained that he was writing not about their current relationship but the famous breach of the 1980s, when Jagger chose to make a solo record rather than tour with the Stones. Richards told me of his pride in overcoming their differences, it made them a “real band”, he insisted, but the damage was done. Still, Jagger, the gentleman rock star, would not be drawn. Those close to him disclosed that he was deeply upset by the book, but he kept his counsel, refused an offer from this paper to put across his side of the story, and continued working. "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-20 02:19 by Gazza.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 03:07

wanderingspirit66
Bliss

Maybe, maybe not. By that rationale, we shouldn't take anything the man says or does seriously and that's the extreme POV and one many seem to take a little too literally as well. Jagger interviews are a tricky thing, always.
Sometimes, most often, he seems to use that humor as a diversion to what he really thinks and so we have to read between his lines. You never know with Jagger. I read that comment and thought 'He really is deluded'
Perhaps it was sardonic .....or maybe not....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-20 03:10 by stupidguy2.

Date: September 20, 2011 03:08

double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-20 03:08 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 20, 2011 03:11

stupidguy2
wanderingspirit66
Bliss

He must realize his voice has changed, and was being self-deprecating. Easier to laugh at yourself than have others to laugh 'for you'.

Maybe, maybe not. Jagger interviews are a tricky thing, always.
Sometimes, most often, he seems to use that humor as a diversion to what he really thinks and so we have to read between his lines. You never know with Jagger. I read that comment and thought 'He really is deluded'

Date: September 20, 2011 04:53

stupidguy2
wanderingspirit66
Bliss

Maybe, maybe not. By that rationale, we shouldn't take anything the man says or does seriously and that's the extreme POV and one many seem to take a little too literally as well. Jagger interviews are a tricky thing, always.

Jagger is deluded enough to think that he can play any role. Jagger is deluded enough to think that he can "rap". Jagger is deluded enough to think that his vocals are still good enough and he can mimic his 1978 style and that all his problems can be sufficiently masked technologically in a studio.

Jagger is not deluded enough to make a statement that says "I’m very fortunate because my voice sounds almost exactly the same.” After watching and listening to every Jagger interview out there over the years, IMO, the word "exactly is what gives it away - it suggests skepticism and humor.

Date: September 20, 2011 14:25

Yeah but if he didn't think his voice sounded 'almost exactly the same', it's unlikely he would have dubbed new vocals into 40+ year old material.

I guess it does sound 'almost exactly the same', compared to Keith's.

Date: September 20, 2011 14:47

Gazza
Mick doesnt say it. 'Those close to him' said it.

Thank you very much.

-------------------

Date: September 20, 2011 19:23

Rolling Hansie
Rolling Hansie
Bliss

Bliss, can you please reply ? (or anybody else)

It was reported in a tabloid and dismissed. But The Times has more credibility. It doesn't take a huge leap to imagine someone who has had a 50 year career trading off his sexuality would be upset to be made a laughingstock by his business and creative partner in a way he can't defend.

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: September 20, 2011 19:58

I agree micks voice is still great.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 20, 2011 20:23

Sleepy City
marcovandereijk
Mick Jagger

Does anyone know when this was?

Charlie mentioned the same thing in the Austrian radio - around the time of the "Ian Stewart "memoral" CD" - that he had been in Mick's house in France recording some songs. Both stating the same thing shows there is some truth behind it.

Jagger neither refuses a new tour (taken from The Times article):

The summit was inconclusive: “We were talking about the 50th anniversary. There’s lots of things to do on the anniversary. My worry is there’s going to be too much stuff.”
Plans are afoot to mark the band’s first gig as the Rolling Stones, on July 12, 1962. Can we expect a tour, or gigs, at least? “Well, we’re talking about it, but I don’t know if it’s going to happen,” Jagger says. “Listen, you could do anything you want if you put your mind to it. I don’t know what’s going to happen next year. We’ll see.

Date: September 20, 2011 21:50

Bliss
It was reported in a tabloid and dismissed. But The Times has more credibility.

Thanks, but I wanted to know if Mick said it, and he didn't.

-------------------

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 20, 2011 21:58

For me, I can clearly picture Mick saying that comment very sardonically about his voice, not serious at all.
All that "hearing" of tone is lost in print, yet I would bet a lot that he is kidding there.

Date: September 20, 2011 22:05

Well, certainly Mick would not say 'I was terribly hurt and upset by Keith's rude jibes about my genitals and for that reason I am finished with him'.

But to my way of thinking, it was just another - maybe the last - nail in the coffin of their relationship, and the impetus for Mick to focus on working with another band.

Just my opinion, of course.

Date: September 21, 2011 00:41

Bliss
Well, certainly Mick would not say 'I was terribly hurt and upset by Keith's rude jibes about my genitals and for that reason I am finished with him'.

But to my way of thinking, it was just another - maybe the last - nail in the coffin of their relationship, and the impetus for Mick to focus on working with another band.

Just my opinion, of course.

I agree. I don't get this absolute belief by some fans that Jagger has evolved from some kind of superhuman species that erases all human emotion. Is this a guy thing that you can't conceive that Jagger could actually be offended/hurt by something his friend says because he's Mick Jagger?
He's human. Yes, he has a sense of humor, he's sardonic, he knows Keith is full of shit and for the most part, probably doesn't give a shit what people say etc....but suddenly, as the former biggest Rock Star in the world, the guy who personfied bad-ass cock-walk rock and roll, he has watched his dick become a punchline....that's tacky and classness and yes, hurtful from a supposed friend and partner. Jerry Hall was compelled to defend his dick-size on a nationally broadcast talk show which made it all even worst.
If that's not humiliating, what is?
The comment was juvenile, but the ability to be stung by it is not.
Yeah, I'm sure there was a big eye-roll from Mick, but
its not far-fetched to consider that jibes leveled at him by his supposed best friend, one whom he has helped keep in luxury despite that friend's own destructive behaviors and selfish attitudes, would irk. Jagger would never admit something like that, but that doesn't mean anything.
The guy is human and his off-hand, dismissive comments about Keith's book in interviews suggest that it is a thorny subject with Mick.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-21 00:49 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 21, 2011 06:40

...I don't think the todger stuff is as troublesome as the overall vindictiveness in the book...the Marianne story in general was mean spirited....as was Brenda...etc...it felt sort of like an athlete talking about what goes on in the lockeroom with his teamates...it's the unwritten rule of silence...Keith kind of bent it pretty far...I don't think he broke it however. Good sign is that Mick admitted writing for the Stones....so...who knows...I hope it happens.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1581
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home