Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: I Am So Proud Of My Rolling Stones!
Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: September 20, 2011 04:37

iamthedj
Watched the film again last week for the first time since it's initial release and it's a flop. From start to finish a complete mistake. Keith is an embarassment throughout. All that mugging for the camera and dodgy noodling on the guitar. Mick just seems on autopilot and I'm pretty sure he can be seen reading the lyrics from a monitor on several tracks. As for the audience they don't really seem that into it. The girls, I assume were brought in to demonstrate that the Stones main audience are people in the late teens or early twenties but if you watch closely its obvious they're not fans. They don't know the music and aren't overly impressed with the band at all.

It's far better than LSTNT.

Date: September 20, 2011 04:44

stones78
When Mick stars talking about Champagne & Reefer and how it was done by Muddy, etc. it makes me cringe, those girls in the front rows probably have no idea who's Muddy Waters, who's Buddy Guy, etc.

Who cares if they know who Muddy Waters or Buddy Guy are? I mean, do the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders need to know the history of the Dallas Cowboys and who Tom Landry was? Hell, no! They are nothing more than eye candy for those viewing the movie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-20 05:26 by thewatchman.

Date: September 20, 2011 05:02

DragonSky
carlostones10
Vocalion
Champagne was good, the rest was crap.

If you think all Sal crap, sorry. But I am not sure you are a Stones fan.

Then just what is a Stones fan carlostone10? Because you are a blind Stones fan, if blind can be applied to hearing then you're blind at what is in SAL. But if you like it, well then, you like it. Most of us know they are nothing like they used to be - even recently in their history - but it's a real far stretch to say that SAL is the Stones at their best. They played some great songs but they didn't play them great - by any stretch of any imagination.

Although Faraway Eyes is hilarious with Keith being a total idiot and screwing up the words and goofing off to whoever. Can he not read the teleprompter?

Since most concert goers are not musicians please help us understand what you mean when you say they played some great songs but didn't play them great? I mean, could you please explain in technical terms what was lacking that night that wasn't lacking in past performances from long ago? What is your opinion as to how they performed in LSTNT compared to SAL?

Posted by: ImDeRankOutsider ()
Date: September 20, 2011 05:13

Shattered was just mediocre but Some Girls was great. How come they never played it back in 78? I mean they played the whole album but didn't play the albums title name?

Date: September 20, 2011 05:16

carlostones10
thewatchman
Just sittin here on a Sunday evening watching my 'Shine A Light' DVD. What an incredible performance and sure glad they didn't put a bunch of homely hardcores (like myself) down front! The Stones and Hot Chicks, doesn't get any better than that!

thewatchman,

I am sure you had a great time. Congratulation. I will do the same very soon. I will drink a good beer and enjoy the most fabulous music in the world: The Rolling Stones.

Have an amazing week.

Regards from Brazil.

Thanks, mate. I have watched my various live Stones concert performances (on DVD) hundreds of times over the last eight years and enjoy each and every one of them with the one exception being LSTNT. I never listen to any DVD without my Bose headphones. After a few sips of wine or a couple of beers I am in Rock 'N' Roll Heaven! Sometimes, I watch as many as three concerts in one night, especially on hot summer nights. Tonight I am going to watch the Twickenham concert from Four Flicks.

One Love, Gold Rings On Ya.smileys with beer

Date: September 20, 2011 05:20

Rolling Hansie
thewatchman
Just sittin here on a Sunday evening watching my 'Shine A Light' DVD.

Sounds good. Just enjoying the little joys in life.

Just about getting dark where I am at. Time to watch Twickenham 2003!smileys with beer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 20, 2011 05:29

Martin Scorcese added nothing to their legacy. The Stones produced DVDs of recent vintage are much better. A few rarities were nice, She Was Hot, As Tears Go By. Champagne with Buddy Guy was indeed memorable. Christina Aguilera was great, but Jack White was surprisingly ineffective on Loving Cup, and I like Jack White. All in all a big letdown. The Stones had much better concerts on the Bigger Bang tour, Zilker Park being one.

Date: September 20, 2011 05:38

24FPS
Martin Scorcese added nothing to their legacy. The Stones produced DVDs of recent vintage are much better. A few rarities were nice, She Was Hot, As Tears Go By. Champagne with Buddy Guy was indeed memorable. Christina Aguilera was great, but Jack White was surprisingly ineffective on Loving Cup, and I like Jack White. All in all a big letdown. The Stones had much better concerts on the Bigger Bang tour, Zilker Park being one.

They were also pretty damn good just five days before Austin in Seattle!

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: September 20, 2011 05:43

I agree with most of the comments on SAL. It had its moments - the Buddy Guy bit, and even the Christina A. part was entertaining. A couple of good versions of the old hits, the outtakes - but overall it was not what it could've been.

That whole phony "Golly, where's the set list??!!" seemed like a something borrowed from 'reality' TV. Models down front? Contrived of course, but it didn't bother me.

I guess Mick was trying hard to do something a bit different with the singing, but it came off a bit odd, especially on "Just my Imagination". Keith was embarrassing at times. Mugging for the camera, buggering up "Faraway Eyes", then laughing about it - so lame.

Some folks don't like it - but I've seen LSTNT countless times and still enjoy it. Maybe it's just that time period (and my first concert was in '81)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-20 05:44 by Angus MacBagpipe.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 20, 2011 05:48

Well, I went to the actual show. Very exciting, but the film was a real dud. To have some conflict in the movie, they had a forced storyline about Scorsese not being able to get the set list until right before the show started. I enjoyed the extras on the DVD far better than the film itself. Oh, and filling the first rows with young "babes" was really, really lame. It was quite odd to sit in the balcony and look at that.

THIS is how far the Stones have slid in relevance: In "Gimme Shelter", the conflict is A GUY GETS KILLED DURING THE SHOW, and for extra drama the boys slip off to record "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" down South. In SAL, the conflict is "Oh gosh, Marty doesn't have the setlist" and the extra drama (I guess) is getting a visit from Hillary Clinton.

Far better they would have allowed Scorsese to do the "No Direction Home" treatment with it possibly culminating in the Beacon concert. Of course, we couldn't have that, so we got another half-baked concert film. Too bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-20 05:53 by 71Tele.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 20, 2011 05:54

I think it delayed the groups possible return to the stage by a year. This SAL project pushed them out in the public eye in 2008 when they should have been doing their usual hibernating shtick. It kept the demand from building for a new tour. It has contributed to the longest break the band has ever taken from each other without a tour or studio album. Now the demand is increasing. People are pestering them more and more with reunion questions. You can feel it...............

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: September 20, 2011 06:03

thewatchman
I Am So Proud Of My Rolling Stones!

Uh-oh Watcher, you just pulled a Jagger. Charlie may bust you one. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: September 20, 2011 06:03

71Tele
Well, I went to the actual show. Very exciting, but the film was a real dud. To have some conflict in the movie, they had a forced storyline about Scorsese not being able to get the set list until right before the show started. I enjoyed the extras on the DVD far better than the film itself. Oh, and filling the first rows with young "babes" was really, really lame. It was quite odd to sit in the balcony and look at that.

THIS is how far the Stones have slid in relevance: In "Gimme Shelter", the conflict is A GUY GETS KILLED DURING THE SHOW, and for extra drama the boys slip off to record "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" down South. In SAL, the conflict is "Oh gosh, Marty doesn't have the setlist" and the extra drama (I guess) is getting a visit from Hillary Clinton.

Far better they would have allowed Scorsese to do the "No Direction Home" treatment with it possibly culminating in the Beacon concert. Of course, we couldn't have that, so we got another half-baked concert film. Too bad.

You lucky guy! You were actually there and thought the show was great! Let's not forget, this was Scorcese's movie. Mick wanted him to come to Rio. Maybe Eastwood would have done a better job?

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: September 20, 2011 06:10

i've never heard of a person being proud of a band. i understand being proud of your child's first day of school. or your child's graduation from school. but, being proud of a band? that's a little.......weird.

Date: September 20, 2011 06:12

TheDailyBuzzherd
thewatchman
I Am So Proud Of My Rolling Stones!

Uh-oh Watcher, you just pulled a Jagger. Charlie may bust you one. tongue sticking out smiley

I will dance circles around Charlie this time! I will float like a butterfly, and sting like a bee! His hands can't hit what his eyes can't see!

Date: September 20, 2011 06:19

ineedadrink
i've never heard of a person being proud of a band. i understand being proud of your child's first day of school. or your child's graduation from school. but, being proud of a band? that's a little.......weird.

You would have to be a fan to understand.

Date: September 20, 2011 06:27

thewatchman
ineedadrink

You would have to be a fan to understand.
okay, Senator McCarthy.

Date: September 20, 2011 06:30

ineedadrink

You remind me of that stalker in the movie Tightrope. Talk about a weirdo.

Date: September 20, 2011 06:31

thewatchman
71Tele

You lucky guy! You were actually there and thought the show was great! Let's not forget, this was Scorcese's movie. Mick wanted him to come to Rio. Maybe Eastwood would have done a better job?

I think it was really Jagger's movie and Scorsese had handcuffs on, figuratively speaking. I think a documentary - which would have examined the band and its personalities using from a broader perspective using Scorsese's unique skills - would have been a much more intriguing project. Have you seen "No Direction Home"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-20 06:35 by 71Tele.

Date: September 20, 2011 06:35

thewatchman
ineedadrink

stalking takes more than 5 seconds, unlike responding to a message on a message board on the internet. try harder with your insults.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 06:42

thewatchman
stones78
When Mick stars talking about Champagne & Reefer and how it was done by Muddy, etc. it makes me cringe, those girls in the front rows probably have no idea who's Muddy Waters, who's Buddy Guy, etc.

Who cares if they know who Muddy Waters or Buddy Guy are? I mean, do the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders need to know the history of the Dallas Cowboys and who Tom Landry was? Hell, no! They are nothing more than eye candy for those viewing the movie.

I said it makes me cringe. If you enjoy the "eye candy" good for you. Also that cheerleading comparison doesn't really work.

Date: September 20, 2011 06:44

71Tele
thewatchman
71Tele

I think it was really Jagger's movie and Scorsese had handcuffs on, figuratively speaking. I think a documentary - which would have examined the band and its personalities using from a broader perspective using Scorsese's unique skills - would have been a much more intriguing project. Have you seen "No Direction Home"?

I am not so sure Scorcese would have allowed Mick to "rule the roost" over a movie with his signature on it. Yes, of course I have seen "No Direction Home", and yes I would have loved to see what you have suggested here. Maybe they are saving that for further down the line?

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: September 20, 2011 06:48

I found Shine A Light to be a bit overwhelming in Imax. Watching it at home makes me appreciate the effort Scorsese put into it; it really is a fascinating glimpse into the late autumn of the Stones. Not a consistently great performance by the band, but I really enjoyed some of the songs. I'm not into comparing performances and eras. I think it's a waste of time. Live in the present, you know? (What I mean by that is enjoy what you are experiencing and live in the moment.) I've played more than enough gigs to realize when a band doesn't have their "A" game and the Stones didn't that night, but they performed admirably and created some breathtaking music. Which makes me respect them even more than if they were completely "on". The Stones remain a marvel of a band to watch live; especially if you've spent some time on stage, in front of an audience.

Kudos also to the band and Scorsese for eschewing (for the most part) overdubs. I greatly appreciate the guts to put something so raw out for a mainstream audience. Good stuff. I probably watch it once every other month.

Date: September 20, 2011 06:51

ineedadrink
thewatchman
ineedadrink

stalking takes more than 5 seconds, unlike responding to a message on a message board on the internet. try harder with your insults.

Nice to know that this is a public forum and everything said is documented. You my (possibly former) friend are the master at hurling insults, always have been. You have a very short attention span.

Date: September 20, 2011 07:05

thewatchman
ineedadrink
thewatchman
ineedadrink

Nice to know that this is a public forum and everything said is documented. You my (possibly former) friend are the master at hurling insults, always have been. You have a very short attention span.
there are millions and millions and millions of people using the internet this very second. why you would think that i'm someone you know is beyond me. ain't paranoia grand? smileys with beer

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 20, 2011 07:08

Send It To me
Keith's arthritis has diminished his technical skills a bit, but his experience compensates for it. The arrangements are getting better. It was always about FEEL anyway.

Yeah, it was all about the feel, but Keef doesn't even play in time through much of Shine a Light. Keef used to be the groove master behind nearly every song onstage. Any recent rearrangements are to cover up for his inability. Compare She's So Cold from 1981 and 2005. Or worse still, that godawful version of Sympathy on SaL.

BTW, I've never felt any sense of ownership toward the Rolling Stones. That mentality is reserved for the Mark Chapmans of the world and the twits who think that performers owe them anything.

And, yes, I'd rather watch LStNT than SaL. Even with the bad edits and sped-up tapes, it's a bona fide rock 'n' roll band and not some overblown Vegas act.

It took SaL to finally convince me that the Stones are done. Jagger isn't saying as much, but his unwillingness to participate in any Stones activity in the last four years would seem to indicate that he agrees. And unless and until Micky's down with it, the Stones ain't happening.

Posted by: ImDeRankOutsider ()
Date: September 20, 2011 07:15

ab
Send It To me
Keith's arthritis has diminished his technical skills a bit, but his experience compensates for it. The arrangements are getting better. It was always about FEEL anyway.

Yeah, it was all about the feel, but Keef doesn't even play in time through much of Shine a Light. Keef used to be the groove master behind nearly every song onstage. Any recent rearrangements are to cover up for his inability. Compare She's So Cold from 1981 and 2005. Or worse still, that godawful version of Sympathy on SaL.

BTW, I've never felt any sense of ownership toward the Rolling Stones. That mentality is reserved for the Mark Chapmans of the world and the twits who think that performers owe them anything.

And, yes, I'd rather watch LStNT than SaL. Even with the bad edits and sped-up tapes, it's a bona fide rock 'n' roll band and not some overblown Vegas act.

It took SaL to finally convince me that the Stones are done. Jagger isn't saying as much, but his unwillingness to participate in any Stones activity in the last four years would seem to indicate that he agrees. And unless and until Micky's down with it, the Stones ain't happening.
I thought they were done too after watching Shine a Light, but then they released Exile with them bonus tracks and i just knew they still got it.

Date: September 20, 2011 07:39

ineedadrink
thewatchman
ineedadrink
thewatchman
ineedadrink

there are millions and millions and millions of people using the internet this very second. why you would think that i'm someone you know is beyond me. ain't paranoia grand? smileys with beer

smoking smiley

Date: September 20, 2011 07:57

ab
Send It To me

I think you know what I meant when I said "MY" Stones.

I will take the overblown Vegas act of SAL over that hideous LSTNT any old day of the week. The Stones were "smokin" at the Beacon, just ask Tele. Anyway, I respect your opinion, just don't agree.

Date: September 20, 2011 08:07

thewatchman
71Tele
thewatchman
71Tele

I am not so sure Scorcese would have allowed Mick to "rule the roost" over a movie with his signature on it. Yes, of course I have seen "No Direction Home", and yes I would have loved to see what you have suggested here. Maybe they are saving that for further down the line?

Let's hope so...Glad I saw the show. It was a special evening. My favorite band in my favorite venue.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1200
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home