Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Oktoberfest starts today, right ??
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 17, 2011 15:46

Man, I gotta try this sometime:

pictures found at: [www.boston.com]

Re: OT: Oktoberfest starts today, right ??
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 17, 2011 15:51

Would love to visit this legendary festival. Just love Erdinger Bier which comes from Erding, near Munich.

It was No3 on my list of great festivals to visit. The first was Mardi Gras which I did in 2007. No2 is the Rio Carnival.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-17 19:14 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 17, 2011 15:55

smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: September 17, 2011 16:05

I hate it, but for visitors I guess it's a must.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 17, 2011 18:11

Some of the German posters here would give for sure a more meaningful answer than mine smiling smiley but my former/latest manager was from the North of France, Lille, and so he would go from time to time to Belgium & Germany for this kind of "feasts"

He told me horrible stories like one of the photo that posted EG, huge crowd,people like sardins in a can ,drunken people -even women yes - urinating on the floor - I can believe this,how many glasses of beer one can drink before he/she has to run to the toilets confused smiley

Don't like the taste of the beer -OK,I drank some "Mort Subite" when I was in Holland many years ago winking smileybut I can't stand the smell of the beer on someone's breath

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 17, 2011 18:26

Edith Grove

It is still a bit early right now, but might I suggest practice pracatice practice is the best way to get to Carnagie Hall...... Ocotberfest..

Practice drinking, lots and lots and lots of practice.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 17, 2011 20:28

I've been twice, first time it was exciting because I loved Munich beer at the time. But once I found out they would only serve me when seated is when the frustration began. In the end we found a spot and stayed there the duration. I was a little sad because I wanted to try all the tents and different beers. The second time it was even more frustrating. Never been back since. Anyhow, you can buy those beers bottled in a lot of places, even the U.S. Plus there are other greater beers in my opinion.

Date: September 17, 2011 20:31

frankotero
I've been twice, first time it was exciting because I loved Munich beer at the time. But once I found out they would only serve me when seated is when the frustration began. In the end we found a spot and stayed there the duration. I was a little sad because I wanted to try all the tents and different beers. The second time it was even more frustrating. Never been back since. Anyhow, you can buy those beers bottled in a lot of places, even the U.S. Plus there are other greater beers in my opinion.

I am honestly asking..... What does that mean? if you went somewhere, and there were no seats, you got no beer? What would you do?

Date: September 17, 2011 21:10

No seat mean no beer. Unless it's changed since 1992.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 17, 2011 21:19

I'am up to Munich.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: September 17, 2011 21:47

well, I live in Germany. the last Time i was at the "OKTOBERFEST" was back in late September 1973. I was 20 years "old". it was unbelievable. I visited one of the huge "tents" with 6000 people "( and, you should know, there were 14 of this capacity!!) at 11 a.m.. most of these places were sold out. dancing on the desks and singing all the time. nothing will top this, i was sure.....

..and I was wrong. one day later I saw the Rolling Stones at the munich Olympiahall.

AWESOME! a really good Show of their 1973 European Tour. Never forget this.

Date: September 17, 2011 21:51

frankotero
No seat mean no beer. Unless it's changed since 1992.
I have never seen him him angry, yet, but I would hate to be the one to tell Hans that we can not have beer due to the small detail of not having a chair.

Date: September 17, 2011 22:38

Wouldn't want to tell that to anyone, especially at the biggest beer fest in the world. Maybe you can imagine what I was feeling. Anyhow, I would recommend to do it one time if possible. Wouldn't go to far out of the way though, meaning money or time. That's just my opinion. By the way I'm drinking a few glasses of Orval (trappist beer) at the moment and listening to the new Alice Cooper cd. Still not sure if I like it. There's a lot of different sounds there.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 17, 2011 22:46

Roadster32

I know what you mean.
I live in the middle of New Orleans, and the city virtually shuts down for a few days around Mardi Gras.
Sometimes, it's a challenge for me to simply go to work.

About that no chair, no beer rule.
Do you really have to be seated in a tent just to drink beer?

Can you not walk through the festival site with a beer in your hand while enjoying the sights?

Date: September 17, 2011 23:00

Date: September 17, 2011 23:02

Max'sKansasCity
I would hate to be the one to tell Hans that we can not have beer due to the small detail of not having a chair.

hot smiley

-------------------

Date: September 17, 2011 23:03

Rolling Hansie
Max'sKansasCity
I would hate to be the one to tell Hans that we can not have beer due to the small detail of not having a chair.

hot smiley

LOL... I knew it!!! YIKES!!!

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: September 17, 2011 23:21

Well, just to be precise, Max, Oktoberfest always starts in September. This year's Oktoberfest was actually started off today.

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Oktoberfest is a 16–18 day festival held annually in Munich, Bavaria, Germany, running from late September to the first weekend in October. It is one of the most famous events in Germany and is the world's largest fair, with more than 5 million people attending every year. The Oktoberfest is an important part of Bavarian culture, having been held since 1810. Other cities across the world also hold Oktoberfest celebrations, modeled after the Munich event."

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 17, 2011 23:54

SwayStones
Don't like the taste of the beer but I can't stand the smell of the beer on someone's breath

That is exactly the way I see too. Sorry to be sexist with this but for me, women beer drinkers are a big turnoff. I've always viewed it as a man's drink. It seems unladylike.

Date: September 17, 2011 23:55

If you see that guy pictured above you know you're going to have a bad trip, ha-ha. But really, cheers to everyone going, hope you'll have a great time.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: September 18, 2011 13:45

Edith Grove
Roadster32

I know what you mean.
I live in the middle of New Orleans, and the city virtually shuts down for a few days around Mardi Gras.
Sometimes, it's a challenge for me to simply go to work.

About that no chair, no beer rule.
Do you really have to be seated in a tent just to drink beer?

Can you not walk through the festival site with a beer in your hand while enjoying the sights?

Well, i'm lucky to live a bit outside of Munich, though I work right in the center of town.
Last time I was at the Oktoberfest was around 20 years ago, though things might have changed a bit.
From what I've heard and read it is definitely not allowed to take the "glass stein" with or without beer outside the tent area. They are the property of the tent owner. If you do so it could be considered as a crime which is called "theft of glass stein" and you could be punished, perhaps.
And, yes you're absolutely right that beer is only served while seating.
Tents are overcrowded and regularly closed shortly after noon, which means you have to cue and only be allowed to go inside when other people leave. Which means as well if you're inside and you want to go outside and come back later you have to cue again excepted you have a reservation.
As said I hate it but if you visit Munich at that time you have to go there.

Oktoberfest english version

...on with the show, good health to you..

Posted by: Smalltowns ()
Date: September 18, 2011 14:06

i life near munich but never went.
really don't wanna pay bout 10€ for a beer...

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 18, 2011 14:28

The Sicilian
SwayStones
Don't like the taste of the beer but I can't stand the smell of the beer on someone's breath

That is exactly the way I see too. Sorry to be sexist with this but for me, women beer drinkers are a big turnoff. I've always viewed it as a man's drink. It seems unladylike.

Yes,may be but if you see me drinking a Corona,you would certainly change your mind ...cool smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: September 18, 2011 14:32

SwayStones
but if you see me drinking a Corona,you would certainly change your mind

smileys with beer

-------------------

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 18, 2011 15:37

I have attended the fest many times. I didn't go this year simply because the crowds can wear on you and I was there the past few years. The weekends get very, very crowded especially if the weather is good. Opening day yesterday and Italian weekend(next weekend) where the party starts by 8-9 in the morning is fun, but getting a seat can be tough unless you arrive very early and get a seat saved when the tents (Zelt) open. Sitting outside though if the weather is nice is good though and one can meet some nice people. While it is relatively expensive these days to eat and drink at the Wies'n the quality of the food is very good and the Wies'n bier in my opinion is exceptional. Spaten and Augustiner my favorites. Like Havo, the first time I attended the Wies'n it was 1973 when I was 20! Eating and drinking back then was really cheap for me as an American. I think a Mass bier was the equivalent of $1! I was in heaven.

For the enthusiastic beer drinker this is a must do. A big pretzel with a Mass, the aroma of roast chicken and Stecherlfisch can't be beat. I recommend going on a weekday Monday-Thursday. It is less crowded. I can see why the locals hate the Fest, because of all the drunks, but it remains one of the biggest parties in the world and the beer is excellent. Stuttgart also has a big beer fest as well this time of year which is also quite fun. One can check online to find many small town Volksfests going on in the next few weeks which are a nice alternative to the Munich madness. So Edith, give it a whirl.

Zum Wohl!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2011 00:56

......................... THE AGE

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2011 01:08

...................... Advertiser

ROCKMAN

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 19, 2011 03:54

SwayStones
The Sicilian
SwayStones

Yes,may be but if you see me drinking a Corona,you would certainly change your mind ...cool smiley

There are always exceptions to the rule.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 19, 2011 05:05

Edith Grove

pictures found at: [www.boston.com]

I think it was Satre who said "Hell is other people"...No thanks. I would rather enjoy a beer with a few close friends in more intimate surroundings.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 19, 2011 05:08

You never forget your first Girl.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1780
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home