Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keefs Guitar Strings
Date: September 15, 2011 15:53

Does anyone know what size of guitar strings keith uses for his open-g guitars?

Has that changed since the early 70s?

Re: Keefs Guitar Strings
Posted by: Alef ()
Date: September 15, 2011 16:03

Ernie Ball custom strings, .011 .015 .018 .030 .042
Not for sale anywhere..

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 15, 2011 18:38

Alef
Not for sale anywhere..

Yeah they are - just just have to buy them separately or out of several different packs.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: September 15, 2011 22:04

DragonSky
Alef
Not for sale anywhere..

Yeah they are - just just have to buy them separately or out of several different packs.
Some guitar shops can put that gauge range together if you ask them.

Date: September 16, 2011 20:01

Has he been using that set of gauges since the 70s? or has it changed over the years?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 16, 2011 20:12

DragonSky
Alef
Not for sale anywhere..

Yeah they are - just have to buy them separately or out of several different packs.

Thank God Keith doesn't play the Harp.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: September 16, 2011 20:44

What capo does he use ?

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: September 16, 2011 21:07

thrak
What capo does he use ?
Schubs. I have a few of them and quite like them.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: September 16, 2011 21:39

Stones62
thrak
What capo does he use ?
Schubs. I have a few of them and quite like them.

Schubb makes the best capos!

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: September 17, 2011 00:24

thanks for an answer. where can i find schubs capo ? I'd like to buy one.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: September 17, 2011 02:23

Anyone know about his socks......what brand and thickness?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 17, 2011 02:54

ohcarol
Anyone know about his socks......what brand and thickness?

how bout the TP? single or double ply? Scented? lol Actually for a guitar player the string guage thing is relavent. Especially since he uses custom guages. I prefer to use the thickest wires I can still bend without bleedin out the fingers. More tone and more overall control of dymanics and other subtle stuff. I mean you can't really whack a set of strings like Keefs that are more than 1/2 below .020! peace.

Date: September 17, 2011 15:37

Yeah...I can relate.....nothing like a pair of thick socks

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 17, 2011 15:47

Naturalust

Actually for a guitar player the string guage thing is relavent. Especially since he uses custom guages. I prefer to use the thickest wires I can still bend without bleedin out the fingers. More tone and more overall control of dymanics and other subtle stuff. I mean you can't really whack a set of strings like Keefs that are more than 1/2 below .020! peace.

What strings do you use?

I like D'Addarios, mainly because they are sealed in plastic, and that allows me buy them by the truck load (good prices) and not worry about them rusting over time.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 17, 2011 16:14

thrak
What capo does he use ?

NOT funny !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: September 17, 2011 16:16

I like Gold Toe Metropolitan cotton in the three pack.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 17, 2011 16:29

Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust

Actually for a guitar player the string guage thing is relavent. Especially since he uses custom guages. I prefer to use the thickest wires I can still bend without bleedin out the fingers. More tone and more overall control of dymanics and other subtle stuff. I mean you can't really whack a set of strings like Keefs that are more than 1/2 below .020! peace.

What strings do you use?

I like D'Addarios, mainly because they are sealed in plastic, and that allows me buy them by the truck load (good prices) and not worry about them rusting over time.

Smart man that MKC is. Yes I still have old D'Addarios in good shape in the plastic. That and the fact that the elephants were saved by it's invention are about the only two good things about plastic. It is clogging our life systems here on earth with it's long breakdown time. I wish it were gone really. But back to strings and a story:

Back in the mid nineties I got a letter from Elxisor strings (the gore-tex type teflon coated ones) asking me to participate in beta testing some new guitar string products. They asked me what guages I wanted and for what instruments, etc. I gladly complied and received new packages of these coated strings for my guitars , mandolins, etc. They were great mainly because they were free. This continued for about 6 months and I received about three different mailings from them, each one with just the strings I had asked for, all put into sets and labeled and tidy. I hardly needed most of the last mailing's sets because these strings were lasting alot longer than the ones I had been using.

I made three of four reports for them. Telling them about my experience. I didn't like them as well out of the box but after a couple of days playing they were GREAT. I was developing a fast and furious addiction to them. Then one day I see these keen new purple packages in the guitar shops, Hey! I know those strings, what $22 a set? (I think it was $16 at the time). I quickly wrote my boys at the factory asking for more beta strings, but the cat was out of the bag I was no longer necessary to them. No more free strings. And a serious coated string addiction. Damn, these guys market just like the drug dealers do, I better watch out I'm thinking.

I still dish out the $ for these strings because they last twice as long. Maybe it is the salt air coming off the pacific in the front yard but they got me. I still thing they are the best for sounding OK for more than a show or two. When you change strings every show the chances of the guitar de-tuning are very real and this helped that out a bit too. Over-priced? Probably. But like I said it's an addiction. It ain't gonna kill me either. peace.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: September 17, 2011 16:36

Only one brand of strings and that is Ernie Ball! End of discussion, ask Keith, Ronnie, Jimmy Page and many others...

Date: September 17, 2011 16:44

Naturalust
Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust

What strings do you use?

Smart man that MKC is. Yes I still have old D'Addarios in good shape in the plastic. That and the fact that the elephants were saved by it's invention are about the only two good things about plastic. It is clogging our life systems here on earth with it's long breakdown time. I wish it were gone really. But back to strings and a story:

Back in the mid nineties I got a letter from Elxisor strings (the gore-tex type teflon coated ones) asking me to participate in beta testing some new guitar string products. They asked me what guages I wanted and for what instruments, etc. I gladly complied and received new packages of these coated strings for my guitars , mandolins, etc. They were great mainly because they were free. This continued for about 6 months and I received about three different mailings from them, each one with just the strings I had asked for, all put into sets and labeled and tidy. I hardly needed most of the last mailing's sets because these strings were lasting alot longer than the ones I had been using.

I made three of four reports for them. Telling them about my experience. I didn't like them as well out of the box but after a couple of days playing they were GREAT. I was developing a fast and furious addiction to them. Then one day I see these keen new purple packages in the guitar shops, Hey! I know those strings, what $22 a set? (I think it was $16 at the time). I quickly wrote my boys at the factory asking for more beta strings, but the cat was out of the bag I was no longer necessary to them. No more free strings. And a serious coated string addiction. Damn, these guys market just like the drug dealers do, I better watch out I'm thinking.

I still dish out the $ for these strings because they last twice as long. Maybe it is the salt air coming off the pacific in the front yard but they got me. I still thing they are the best for sounding OK for more than a show or two. When you change strings every show the chances of the guitar de-tuning are very real and this helped that out a bit too. Over-priced? Probably. But like I said it's an addiction. It ain't gonna kill me either. peace.

Thanks man, that is why I asked, I was betting
you would have a good tip... so you use these?

pic from this review [www.ibanez-rg-review.com]

but now... now I am saddled with the heavy guilt for using plastic, more plastic... but at least the elephants like me... so I guess that means Gérard Depardieu does too, he claims to be an elephant. winking smiley

Thanks Naturalust

ps
that review agrees with your salt air comment. [www.ibanez-rg-review.com]
Rust Never Sleeps
""If you live near the ocean you’ll really appreciate these strings. Normal strings don’t seem to last all that long even after giving them a good old wipe. The salt in the air starts corroding the strings the minute you start playing them. Because I’m lazy and hate changing strings the Elixir’s are a god send. The Elixir Nanoweb’s seems to last even longer the 5 times claimed. But your guitar will appreciate them more as the wear and tear on the tuners, tremolo saddles and locking screws nuts are lessened from constantly changing strings.""

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-17 16:49 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: September 17, 2011 18:01

Sorry...cant give you four paragraphs on my socks.....

Date: September 17, 2011 18:13

ohcarol
Sorry...cant give you four paragraphs on my socks.....

LOL, well a picture is woth a 1000 words winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home